IGNORED

Barnsley away (Merged)

DavidNoble

2 hours ago, BCFC J said:

It's pathetic as we're in the best position the club has been in for the last 10 years on the pitch, the best position ever off it, we have 8(?) cup finals left and are well in the mix for a top six place yet can't even muster 1,500 for Barnsley.

By take the rough with the smooth I mean praise good followings if you're interested, but also comment on poor followings. 

Same as it's always been for City, our fans would flock to Reading or Villa in their droves if we were bottom of the Conference but we never travel well north. Not sure why people take it so personally, it's a fact.

Thanks for the reply J - I appreciate the response.

I’ve been in some seriously good away followings at Newcastle, Sheffield Weds, Wrexham, Huddersfield and Middlesbrough - but I take your point about our away attendances up North - generally they aren’t what you’d call fantastic but I suppose the world is moving on so quickly - when I followed City absolutely everywhere there wasn’t much else to do! Now life provides so many more distractions for people of all ages....it’s a shame that many clubs don’t realise this when it comes to ST pricing structures etc. People will pick and choose games if they feel their club isn’t helping them to prioritise football with sensible and attractive pricing. The days when a whole community would turn out to support their local club are long gone unfortunately - even Bury got 30k crowds back in the day. Still, at least you knew every game was 3pm on a Saturday back then!

Subsidised away travel would undoubtedly attract a bigger following because transport in this country is so bloody expensive compared to the rest of Europe...but clubs just seem to take our blind loyalty for granted...even on Easter Friday when there are zillions of other things to do...most of which are much cheaper and don’t involve going to Barnsley...I’ve been to Oakwell three times but can’t make it this Friday - life just gets in the way sometimes 

4 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

What's the obsession with away support anyway? Who really cares that much to have arguments over it?

I remember being one of 300 odd at Chesterfield on a rainy Tuesday night in December and I loved the atmosphere and the togetherness on the cold wet open terrace. I've also been part of a flat, lifeless 4000 at Reading. It's not about numbers, it's what you make of the experience and the support you show for the team.

I reckon I got you there fella... The Shay, miserable Tuesday night game for more reasons than one. The evening was October 19th. 1982. The attendance at Halifax Town was 1465. The Saturday previously we had gone up to Victoria Park and been well and truly turned over by the mighty Hartlepool Utd. Prior to that game we had lost 5 on the bounce before a draw at home to York. Sometime around that match against Halifax we sat at our lowest position in our history, 92nd. We had hit rock bottom albeit for maybe a couple of weeks before finishing the season strongly. The weather was cold and I do not recall many City fans at that match. Love to see some stats but i will hazard a guess at 150 tops... We made some noise mind... 2-2 final score. It felt good not to lose. Terry Coopers red and white army was still alive.

Btw, the first of those 5 losses in a row was an away defeat to Northampton by 7 goals to 1. I went to a lot of away games that season and the next when we were promoted but fortunately i missed that tonking.

13 hours ago, havanatopia said:

It does not matter how many go does it, for goodness sake. Every City supporter that goes to an away game is an absolute hero in my eyes. If it is 100 or 1000 at Oakwell they will all make the '12th man' then its down to the other 11, on the pitch, to keep our season bubbling.

Spot on! The important is to be there, if you can. Everyone knows about family at Easter and other commitments, shame it's one of the longer away trips for a Good Friday but it's easy to get to. Not one of my favourite grounds admittedly but i'll be going!

9 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Spot on! The important is to be there, if you can. Everyone knows about family at Easter and other commitments, shame it's one of the longer away trips for a Good Friday but it's easy to get to. Not one of my favourite grounds admittedly but i'll be going!

I quite like Oakwell but perhaps because its the last time I went to an away match with my Dad. Nice drive up, nice walk over the hill amongst fans from both teams, and down into the Oakwell bowl. 

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I quite like Oakwell but perhaps because its the last time I went to an away match with my Dad. Nice drive up, nice walk over the hill amongst fans from both teams, and down into the Oakwell bowl. 

It's interesting on a Saturday, have sat in the bus station before now watching the world go by (being on my jack!) and to see what comes in on the buses from the outlying areas...jeez! Like the great unwashed! Northern Powerhouse? Sounds like an energy provider!!

On 26/03/2018 at 11:11, BCFC J said:

It's pathetic as we're in the best position the club has been in for the last 10 years on the pitch, the best position ever off it, we have 8(?) cup finals left and are well in the mix for a top six place yet can't even muster 1,500 for Barnsley.

By take the rough with the smooth I mean praise good followings if you're interested, but also comment on poor followings. 

Same as it's always been for City, our fans would flock to Reading or Villa in their droves if we were bottom of the Conference but we never travel well north. Not sure why people take it so personally, it's a fact.

Maybe people have shelled out for their new season ticket and that has impacted the predicted attendance.

Northampton on a Sunday afternoon. 

Slaughtered 7-1 but the travelling support was around 1500 at least and we made some noise. 

I was sat in the old wooden stand with wife who told me to sit down and save my breath when Glyn Riley scored at 5-0.

The good old days! 

Nobody should ever criticise the numbers of fans at away games. Too many factors to consider. Just be grateful to those who go and support the Robins. 

31 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Northampton on a Sunday afternoon. 

Slaughtered 7-1 but the travelling support was around 1500 at least and we made some noise. 

I was sat in the old wooden stand with wife who told me to sit down and save my breath when Glyn Riley scored at 5-0.

The good old days! 

Nobody should ever criticise the numbers of fans at away games. Too many factors to consider. Just be grateful to those who go and support the Robins. 

I was only talking of that Cobblers match a little earlier... You must have read my thread! No way did we have that many at the Shay a couple months later; more like 150. Got a point though but were probably about bottom of the able by that point. 92nd. Incredibly dark days.

1 hour ago, Robin101 said:

After nearly a decade in League One it was.

That’s why I asked how long he’s been following City. As lovely as being back in the Championship was, I wouldn’t use the word novelty. I’d save that for the top flight, I’ve never seen us play in the ‘1st Division’.

In my opinion, the reason we had such good away attendances in 07/08 is because we started the season well and remained around the top 2 all season, like Cardiff have done this season.

Looking at our away crowds in 14/15 and 07/08 (both seasons where we have been challenging at the top of the table from day one), I’m pretty sure we would match some of Cardiff’s better away attendances this season, especially at £10 a ticket.

On 3/27/2018 at 17:20, havanatopia said:

I was only talking of that Cobblers match a little earlier... You must have read my thread! No way did we have that many at the Shay a couple months later; more like 150. Got a point though but were probably about bottom of the able by that point. 92nd. Incredibly dark days.

They certainly were, yet a very memorable and strangely enjoyable time to be a City fan too.

Those of us who continued supporting the club home and away during the years of decline didn't half enjoy that promotion at Chester. :city:

13 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Didn't we used to have three or four barnsley fans regularly posting on here ? Be interesting to see their insight into the state of that club at the moment on and off the pitch.

OK then.  I'll keep it short.

We were doing great - bought well, developed, and sold big.  trouble is, we sold em all.

After spending 2 transfer windows flogging off the family silver, we spend the summer recruiting their replacements, from League 2, Scotland, and various pub leagues.  Most fans could see straight away at the start of the season that we simply didn't have enough quality and continually buying your team from the lower leagues turns you into a lower league team.  Me, I was more optimistic - we have some decent players I thought.  We even started the season OK-ish.

But since about October, it has been clear that we are pissing in the wind.  I think we have only won 2 games against teams that aren't called 'Sunderland' or 'Birmingham'.  We have won 3 times at home in a whole calendar year.  For some unfathomable reason, Leeds decided they were just the credentials they wanted in their new boss (why does that keep happening to us - strange).  He is pulling up loads of trees at Elland Road now - keep it up Hecky.

Meanwhile, and I am getting cynical now - it must be the effects of this horrible season getting to me, but we appear to have appointed a new manager on the basis that he knows Jose Mourinho.  It may be early days, but so far he is not showing that he knows much about how to turn around a struggling second tier football team.  Although I do appreciate that no matter who you are and what your credentials, it is hard to polish a turd.,

It is hard to knock the players  because they are giving everything every game.  However, too many of them are just not good enough, often enough for this level.  If we survive then I hope the new owners try and kick on because if we go into next season with pretty much the same squad then we just delay the inevitable.  However, along with many fans, I have given up hope, perhaps a bit too early but there you go.  Whoever survives this year will do so with probably a record low survival points total - could even be sub 40.  And it still is unlikely to be us.

If we go down, I am not sure what the future would hold for Morais.  His record suggests that he doesn't stay around long enough anywhere to justify putting his cases in the loft.  And what on earth is he going to know about the third division?.

Scary and interesting times.

The problem for you guys is that, sooner or later we will fluke a win from somewhere. 3 wins in a year remember.  And when it happens, expect the "how shit are you - we're winning at home" chants! :)

19 minutes ago, redsfan said:

OK then.  I'll keep it short.

We were doing great - bought well, developed, and sold big.  trouble is, we sold em all.

After spending 2 transfer windows flogging off the family silver, we spend the summer recruiting their replacements, from League 2, Scotland, and various pub leagues.  Most fans could see straight away at the start of the season that we simply didn't have enough quality and continually buying your team from the lower leagues turns you into a lower league team.  Me, I was more optimistic - we have some decent players I thought.  We even started the season OK-ish.

But since about October, it has been clear that we are pissing in the wind.  I think we have only won 2 games against teams that aren't called 'Sunderland' or 'Birmingham'.  We have won 3 times at home in a whole calendar year.  For some unfathomable reason, Leeds decided they were just the credentials they wanted in their new boss (why does that keep happening to us - strange).  He is pulling up loads of trees at Elland Road now - keep it up Hecky.

Meanwhile, and I am getting cynical now - it must be the effects of this horrible season getting to me, but we appear to have appointed a new manager on the basis that he knows Jose Mourinho.  It may be early days, but so far he is not showing that he knows much about how to turn around a struggling second tier football team.  Although I do appreciate that no matter who you are and what your credentials, it is hard to polish a turd.,

It is hard to knock the players  because they are giving everything every game.  However, too many of them are just not good enough, often enough for this level.  If we survive then I hope the new owners try and kick on because if we go into next season with pretty much the same squad then we just delay the inevitable.  However, along with many fans, I have given up hope, perhaps a bit too early but there you go.  Whoever survives this year will do so with probably a record low survival points total - could even be sub 40.  And it still is unlikely to be us.

If we go down, I am not sure what the future would hold for Morais.  His record suggests that he doesn't stay around long enough anywhere to justify putting his cases in the loft.  And what on earth is he going to know about the third division?.

Scary and interesting times.

The problem for you guys is that, sooner or later we will fluke a win from somewhere. 3 wins in a year remember.  And when it happens, expect the "how shit are you - we're winning at home" chants! :)

Sounds pretty dire mate. From what i seen on your forum you could have kept Hecky if he was backed in the transfer market. Seems like the dismantling of your side happened all too quickly and not gradual enough to have these new signings gel into the team. 

What I don't understand is where an earth all the money from those transfers went. Especially the size of some of the sell on fees received.

14 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Sounds pretty dire mate. From what i seen on your forum you could have kept Hecky if he was backed in the transfer market. Seems like the dismantling of your side happened all too quickly and not gradual enough to have these new signings gel into the team. 

What I don't understand is where an earth all the money from those transfers went. Especially the size of some of the sell on fees received.

Aa far as I know mate its all still in the bank. When the new owners paid 20 odd million for the club, most of that value was the bank balance.

We may be a mess on the pitch at the moment but at least we are solvent!

Anyway, just got into town. We live in hope. 

On 22/03/2018 at 08:42, Betty Swallocks said:

Our away support, for a team who have been around the play offs all season and averaging 20k at home is piss poor. 

Not surprising when a significant minority of the 20-odd thousand have only appeared in the last 2 or 3 years. Don't expect them to regularly attend away games yet. 

11 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

The Championship was a novelty at the time?

In our history we’ve spent more seasons in this division than any other. 

Have you been following City long?

But it's the first time we had been fighting to get into the prem after spending god knows how long in league 1

1 hour ago, RedNight said:

But it's the first time we had been fighting to get into the prem after spending god knows how long in league 1

Yes mate.

..and it’s 10 years since that season and a similar top 2 position this year would’ve no doubt seen similar away crowds, especially after the last two seasons. 

This season has (in general) been great but we’ve struggled for 3 months in a way we didn’t in 2008/09. We look a long way away from automatic promotion this season, not so 08/09 when we were still in with a shout until the Stoke match. That’s going to effect away support.

Archived