IGNORED

Eliasson

Finley_Smith10

Hasn’t been used enough. Plain and simple. My biggest thing with LJ. Wants to protect players too much. All this talk about learning different aspects of the game is relevant but not to the point we need to pay them for years before we use them. Spent a lot of money on players who won’t have half a season between them in minutes or appearances. Our squad was decimated with injuries for 3-4 months so he just wore out a select 12-13. In my mind, a big reason our form dipped. Play the ones here already. For me it is why teams like Preston and Brentford appear to recruit so well. The players they buy, they play. They grow as part of the squad. Imagine we had bought Ollie Watkins and he was sat on our bench getting 10 minutes every month. 

Taylor Moore, Gustav Engvall, Liam Walsh, and Eliasson. Almost 6m worth of players with limited appearances. In the case of Moore and Engvall, we bought them, gave them contracts and those contracts now going into their final 12 months!! Sometimes you need to see if players sink or swim but none have been given the chance. Age is but a number and it is BS that young players can’t get the job done. I just watched a CB pairing aged 18 and 19 help beat Bayern Munich the other day with Leipzig. Upemacano and Konate played very well and they have grown given proper chances to thrive. 

Anyway, these players need chances. I have no doubt that given the minutes, Eliasson would produce. Could have easily been given minutes too. Engvall never been given a fair chance(has looked better than loan strikers like Woodrow and Diony). Walsh fair enough hard to get into the team with Pack and Smith but maybe should be used instead of one of them in matches like Burton where the defensive burden isn’t so great? Taylor Moore also has quite a bit in front of him but with talks of Flint leaving, we all say we can buy a good replacement. So where does that leave Moore? Where does he get his chance? At RB where he doesn’t look as comfortable? No, it is LJ’s biggest weakness imo. He can grow young players but he coddles them too much. Even COD and Brownhill were given chances throughout the season. Need to do the same for the others. 

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Hasn’t been used enough. Plain and simple. My biggest thing with LJ. Wants to protect players too much. All this talk about learning different aspects of the game is relevant but not to the point we need to pay them for years before we use them. Spent a lot of money on players who won’t have half a season between them in minutes or appearances. Our squad was decimated with injuries for 3-4 months so he just wore out a select 12-13. In my mind, a big reason our form dipped. Play the ones here already. For me it is why teams like Preston and Brentford appear to recruit so well. The players they buy, they play. They grow as part of the squad. Imagine we had bought Ollie Watkins and he was sat on our bench getting 10 minutes every month. 

Taylor Moore, Gustav Engvall, Liam Walsh, and Eliasson. Almost 6m worth of players with limited appearances. In the case of Moore and Engvall, we bought them, gave them contracts and those contracts now going into their final 12 months!! Sometimes you need to see if players sink or swim but none have been given the chance. Age is but a number and it is BS that young players can’t get the job done. I just watched a CB pairing aged 18 and 19 help beat Bayern Munich the other day with Leipzig. Upemacano and Konate played very well and they have grown given proper chances to thrive. 

Anyway, these players need chances. I have no doubt that given the minutes, Eliasson would produce. Could have easily been given minutes too. Engvall never been given a fair chance(has looked better than loan strikers like Woodrow and Diony). Walsh fair enough hard to get into the team with Pack and Smith but maybe should be used instead of one of them in matches like Burton where the defensive burden isn’t so great? Taylor Moore also has quite a bit in front of him but with talks of Flint leaving, we all say we can buy a good replacement. So where does that leave Moore? Where does he get his chance? At RB where he doesn’t look as comfortable? No, it is LJ’s biggest weakness imo. He can grow young players but he coddles them too much. Even COD and Brownhill were given chances throughout the season. Need to do the same for the others. 

Sums up the Johnson regime. The money this guy has spent is unbelievable. And people don't expect top six!!! What a joke. 

24 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Sums up the Johnson regime. The money this guy has spent is unbelievable. And people don't expect top six!!! What a joke. 

How much have the teams in the top six spent compared to what we have spent? What a joke.

Yet we’re still above Brentford and Preston....

23 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Yes because of course we have spent more money than Wolves, Derby, Villa, Sunderland, Boro, Fulham, Reading etc etc. If the league was decided on players wages or transfer fees spent then Lee Johnson's Bristol City are punching above their weight.

CoD didn’t play much last year and he’s done alright this season. Bobby Reid was average at best as with Joey and they’ve done well. Smith and Pack as well. Many of the team we have now people would’ve wanted to sell last year.

Time is on his side... as with Engvall. He can still push his way in over the coming years

Good post

30 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

If your Eliasson’s, your Moore’s, etc come in next season and do what Brownhill and O’Dowda did this season, e.g. really kick-on, then I think you can say you’re wrong, even if Moore took 2 seasons....Bobby Reid took lots!  

But if they don’t break through, and just fall away with little money recouped (which looks like the case with Engvall), then you’d be well within your rights to be critical.

Frustrating as it may seem, you might have to wait another 6 or do months to be proved right or wrong.

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

Not quite what I meant. All I can say is probably too much spent on projects. I don’t doubt they can be good players but with wages a very big investment before/if we get a return

Since Johnson came in, 4 transfer windows ago, we've had a net spend of 8.5 mill, compare that to Derby County who are 1 point above us and in the same period have a net spend 3x that.

We are punching well above our weight considering the money we have spent, Cardiff spent more than our record signing in January on a striker with a worse than 1 in 4 scoring record...

58 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Eliassons problem is that he can not defend. Johnson bought him because of his great goal scoring assist record.

Sold by my club AIK Solna to IFK Norrköping for £100,000 in November 2016.

So all of you in Sweden keep saying. 

Yet when he has been given minutes as a sub, I have been impressed by his defensive work, tracking back and winning tackles to begin counter attacking. 

I agree with Joe Aman's earlier post. I think our coaching staff are too overprotective of the fringe youngsters. Vyner, Eliasson and Kelly have been treated like this. 

Kelly was many people's MOM against Ipswich. He will have poor games and good ones but the only way forward is play and get experience. Eliasson and the other young Reds likewise. 

Any thoughts yet on the Cardiff wage bill? You seem to have missed multiple postings despite blaming this on not having enough time...

On 2/25/2018 at 15:08, tinman85 said:

I don't have time to do that thanks. But please enlighten me 

I did try but you strangely didn't engage. I'll try again. I'm sure it's perfectly innocent and you are totally up for dealing with the facts of wage bills for 2016/17...

• Bristol City Holdings Ltd - 16/17... £20.920m (613 employees) which is broken up into... 
    • Bristol City Football Club Ltd - 16/17... £17.896m (162 employees)
    • Ashton Gate Ltd - 16/17... £3.125m (451 employees)
    • Note: there's a minor discrepancy here of c. £100k but that's not really relevant in the bigger picture
  • Cardiff City Football Club (Holdings) Ltd - 16/17... £29.006m (178 employees)

So comparing BCHL to CCFCHL, the CCFCHL wage bill is 38.65% higher despite 435 less employees. Or comparing BCFCL to CCFCHL, the CCFCHL wage bill is 62.08% higher though this includes 16 additional employees.

Neil 'shoestring budget' Warnock indeed, eh?

25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Yet when he has been given minutes as a sub, I have been impressed by his defensive work, tracking back and winning tackles to begin counter attacking. 

I agree with Joe Aman's earlier post. I think our coaching staff are too overprotective of the fringe youngsters. Vyner, Eliasson and Kelly have been treated like this. 

Kelly was many people's MOM against Ipswich. He will have poor games and good ones but the only way forward is play and get experience. Eliasson and the other young Reds likewise. 

Who do you drop? Who do you play? Do you drop Brownhill for Eliasson? Do you drop Flint for Moore? Do you drop Mags or Bryan for Kelly?

1 mistake from a youngster and this place would be up in arms asking why were playing youngsters when better first team players are available - you always need to play your best players.

15 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Any thoughts yet on the Cardiff wage bill? You seem to have missed multiple postings despite blaming this on not having enough time...

I did try but you strangely didn't engage. I'll try again. I'm sure it's perfectly innocent and you are totally up for dealing with the facts of wage bills for 2016/17...

• Bristol City Holdings Ltd - 16/17... £20.920m (613 employees) which is broken up into... 
    • Bristol City Football Club Ltd - 16/17... £17.896m (162 employees)
    • Ashton Gate Ltd - 16/17... £3.125m (451 employees)
    • Note: there's a minor discrepancy here of c. £100k but that's not really relevant in the bigger picture
  • Cardiff City Football Club (Holdings) Ltd - 16/17... £29.006m (178 employees)

So comparing BCHL to CCFCHL, the CCFCHL wage bill is 38.65% higher despite 435 less employees. Or comparing BCFCL to CCFCHL, the CCFCHL wage bill is 62.08% higher though this includes 16 additional employees.

Neil 'shoestring budget' Warnock indeed, eh?

Breath. Don't. Your. Hold.

Rearrange those words to find my advice when it comes to expecting a thought out response to your query.

39 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Who do you drop? Who do you play? Do you drop Brownhill for Eliasson? Do you drop Flint for Moore? Do you drop Mags or Bryan for Kelly?

1 mistake from a youngster and this place would be up in arms asking why were playing youngsters when better first team players are available - you always need to play your best players.

It's not about dropping players. It's about using as many of the squad as is possible over a season. Sub appearances will be the best way to give game time to the less experienced and younger ones. 

Doing that should give them a real sense of belonging and also ensure that we don't burn out the first choices. Like we appear to have done to some of the latter! 

Wouldn’t disagree he is overly protective, but can understand to some degree with us pushing for promotion why it has happened.

What I really, really don’t get is the January window where we’ve bought in players, 2 of the 3 on short term loans, who are weaker than our existing fringe players. Not only that, they’ve been given game time to show the world how weak they are at the expense  both of our league position and existing players most of whom are sat redundant in the stands watching and gaining naff all playing experience. 

Absolutely bizarre and, frankly, a situation that should be seen by the scouting system, coaches and management as a total embarrassment and shambles.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

So Kelly was actually playing?? 

Umm- so here's a guy who is regularly in the first team squad and is given his chance and has taken his chance at the age of 19 who may be very good but not yet as good as Bryan so is quite rightly second choice if Joe is available.

Just explain to me in really simple terms how " the coaching staff" are "too overprotective" to this 19 yr old defender with 1 goal and one assist who is currently playing in the first team?

6 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

It's not about dropping players. It's about using as many of the squad as is possible over a season. Sub appearances will be the best way to give game time to the less experienced and younger ones. 

Doing that should give them a real sense of belonging and also ensure that we don't burn out the first choices. Like we appear to have done to some of the latter! 

In which case I kind of agree but we do seem to use all our subs in most games and the question I asked needs altering slightly. Drawing or 1 goal up do you take Pack off for Walsh or Bryan off for Kelly.

We do have a lot of close tight games.

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

In which case I kind of agree but we do seem to use all our subs in most games and the question I asked needs altering slightly. Drawing or 1 goal up do you take Pack off for Walsh or Bryan off for Kelly.

We do have a lot of close tight games.

Subs do not necessarily have to replace on a like for like basis.

For example, we are defending a 1-0 lead away from home.

You could replace Paterson with Kelly to stop their right back charging up the wing and giving Joe Bryan at left back, a torrid time.

Or replace a tired Diedhiou with the speed of Eliasson to run at a couple of big lump centre backs.

Or put Walsh on in midfield instead of a striker and leave Bobby to be a nuisance up front.

It's creative thinking in game management that would help the fringe players to get game time and maybe keep more points.

And this us not a criticism of LJ and his staff. Just trying to look at where we could do some things differently and maybe better. And give more game experience to our young squad.

Clearly a highly rated player and has been in and around the squad all season - but clearly not deemed quite ready. If you're good enough, you're old enough, I know. Perhaps he isn't quite good enough yet? I think his more recent substitute appearances back that up IMO, and his impressive cameos, Watford, Hull(?), show the potential.

He is one of those young players who gets stuck in that middle ground, close enough to the first team to be needed for the squad, so won't go out on loan - but not quite ready to break into the first 11 regularly. So from the outside it looks like he is rotting on the bench. I'm sure however he is improving his all round game with every training session up against Wright, Baker, Flint etc, learning the English game, bulking up etc and if he is capable of stepping up, he'll be better prepared for it.

Look every player's development is going to be different, plenty of examples of that in our current squad. So it's too simplistic to compare ages, but either way, food for thought:

Eliasson is 22 years old, at 22:

• Joe Bryan was playing in league one.
  • Bobby Reid was on loan at Plymouth.
  • Callum and Josh are both the same age, but each had three years, 87 and 65 apps respectively, of the "men's football" that is talked about a lot and important to player development. 

We have set our stall out to buy young players as a club, in my 34 years watching City, i can't remember another period of time where so many young players have actually improved, Brownhill, Reid, Bryan, Pack, Paterson, O'dowda, Smith, off the top of my head. Why not trust the current management set up? Bringing in new players has never been an exact science, and the tricky part about bringing in young players, from abroad especially, is that they will need to be developed, which obviously takes time. Seems to me that the decision to loan certain players out is working well, and at the prices we are paying for players, the risk in terms of Championship budgets, is pretty low. The current magagement team have got a hell of a lot more right than wrong in my opinion, so the future looks bright. COYR.

5 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Clearly a highly rated player and has been in and around the squad all season - but clearly not deemed quite ready. If you're good enough, you're old enough, I know. Perhaps he isn't quite good enough yet? I think his more recent substitute appearances back that up IMO, and his impressive cameos, Watford, Hull(?), show the potential.

He is one of those young players who gets stuck in that middle ground, close enough to the first team to be needed for the squad, so won't go out on loan - but not quite ready to break into the first 11 regularly. So from the outside it looks like he is rotting on the bench. I'm sure however he is improving his all round game with every training session up against Wright, Baker, Flint etc, learning the English game, bulking up etc and if he is capable of stepping up, he'll be better prepared for it.

Look every player's development is going to be different, plenty of examples of that in our current squad. So it's too simplistic to compare ages, but either way, food for thought:

Eliasson is 22 years old, at 22:

• Joe Bryan was playing in league one.
  • Bobby Reid was on loan at Plymouth.
  • Callum and Josh are both the same age, but each had three years, 87 and 65 apps respectively, of the "men's football" that is talked about a lot and important to player development. 

Nice post Alessandro.  The interesting thing about the above players listed is that their men’s football experience was in the Football League (Bryan also loaned to Bath).  I’m not dissing those going out on loan to Torquay, Bath, Solihull, etc, but I think that most players who get to 20 at a Champ club, need league football on loan.  It’s a generalisation, I accept.

Archived