IGNORED

Amsterdam, England game.

BCFC1512

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Are we meant to magic up some non existent players? Our squad is what it is...

No, but I would like to see players who are being played on merit and not just for the size of the club they play for. 10 out of the 11 who started are from top 6 clubs. Lallana on the bench has barely played the last 6 months, Gomez altho is a promising youngster, I dont see how he is above Maguire on any merit at all either. Glad to see Alli dropped though. 

1 minute ago, BA14 RED said:

No, but I would like to see players who are being played on merit and not just for the size of the club they play for. 10 out of the 11 who started are from top 6 clubs. Lallana on the bench has barely played the last 6 months, Gomez altho is a promising youngster, I dont see how he is above Maguire on any merit at all either. Glad to see Alli dropped though. 

I’d suggest Southgate knows a lot more about these players than you or I.

He appears to have a system he wants to play and will have an opinion on players who fit this system based on what he sees of the players.

Lallana has nearly always performed for England so deserves his place back in the team if he’s fit.

imagine if for one year we could all just unite behind our team rather than writing them off before they even board the plane 

22 minutes ago, harrys said:

I see that England fans are taking us back 25 years, a total embarrassment 

I stopped reading stories and listening to arrest rates a while ago. Neither have ever depicted anything close to the truth. Indeed arrest rates just indicate how lazy the acting force is.

I would say focus on conviction rates but again, sadly, the police force let us down here again has many 'charges' and subsequent confessions are coerced out of fans who simply don't know any better and have been told by the arresting officers, 'Just sign this and you can be out of here by 7 and home by 9'. The irony being that the fans that fall foul of this often have No idea why they are there and aren't actually troublemakers who understand the corrupt policing that exists at football.

The last metric, banning orders, is sadly also be coming redundant as they are handed out for ever decreasing incidents of severity. 

All of the above are printed and reported with glee by the media as the truth is sadly far less interesting for the casual observer. Indeed, is far easier to sleep at night thinking that thuggsh working class hooligans are bravely deterred by the boys in the blue, rather than the fact that the boys in the blue can be, and in certain cases are, worse and more corrupt.

That reality is far more worrying.

8 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I stopped reading stories and listening to arrest rates a while ago. Neither have ever depicted anything close to the truth. Indeed arrest rates just indicate how lazy the acting force is.

I would say focus on conviction rates but again, sadly, the police force let us down here again has many 'charges' and subsequent confessions are coerced out of fans who simply don't know any better and have been told by the arresting officers, 'Just sign this and you can be out of here by 7 and home by 9'. The irony being that the fans that fall foul of this often have No idea why they are there and aren't actually troublemakers who understand the corrupt policing that exists at football.

The last metric, banning orders, is sadly also be coming redundant as they are handed out for ever decreasing incidents of severity. 

All of the above are printed and reported with glee by the media as the truth is sadly far less interesting for the casual observer. Indeed, is far easier to sleep at night thinking that thuggsh working class hooligans are bravely deterred by the boys in the blue, rather than the fact that the boys in the blue can be, and in certain cases are, worse and more corrupt.

That reality is far more worrying.

I’m not interested in the arrest rate or the overthe top and lying police, I followed England through the 80’s & 90’s and saw time after time with my own eyes the way a large percentage of our idiotic fans behaved, the World Cup in France in ‘98 was the last straw for me, can’t even be bothered to go into detail about the way some of our fans behaved in Northern France, never been to an England game since

2 minutes ago, harrys said:

I’m not interested in the arrest rate or the overthe top and lying police, I followed England through the 80’s & 90’s and saw time after time with my own eyes the way a large percentage of our idiotic fans behaved, the World Cup in France in ‘98 was the last straw for me, can’t even be bothered to go into detail about the way some of our fans behaved in Northern France, never been to an England game since

Agreed, I can' bothered to go into detail about the brutal and corrupt policing I've witnessed in 25 years. Luckily it hasn't deterred me from going.

13 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

So, just to clarify.

You went in (disguised yourself) as a 19 year old female or there was one such in the next bed to you.

Sorry I made a typo. I went in as myself and there was a 19 year old girl in the next bed.

16 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I swear to god I must have watched a different match , England slow and predictable and Holland a decent pub side.

Star of the night

Name:  EABEBD32-596F-44CA-B728-3EA6D29355ED.jpeg Views: 302 Size:  428.8 KB

Angelic.

On the football front, liked the formation. Well done Gareth for that. 

Some woeful performances - Ali you’re nowhere near as good as you think you are - mixed with a number of average ones. Wouldn’t mark anyone higher than a ‘6’ but that was all that was needed against a side devoid of almost everything. How bad were Holland, a pale imitation of their former selves. 

Any international side that has to send on Ryan Babel.....are really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Barely a threat, sad after some of the great players and teams over the years.

England fairly controlled and in control. Subs disturbed flow of game and England lost a little attacking impetus, Alli spent more time doing flicks n tricks and giving away free kicks than anything constructive, when he needed to come on and demand the ball to see out the game. He's a different player without Kane in front of him. Vardy didn't touch the ball in 20mins when he came on? Still not sure about Sterling. And is just me but i can't see the fuss about Rashford? Too often he runs into a blind alley with the ball and gives away cheap possession.

But a win is a win, however woeful the opposition. Italy should be a sterner test.

57 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I swear to god I must have watched a different match , England slow and predictable and Holland a decent pub side.

Star of the night

Agreed. Incredibly tedious first half, a bit more action in the 2nd, but overall very little to get excited about and performance no more than 'OK'.

9 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

That style wont work when it matters, but would love to be proved wrong. Maguire a huge positive and should be starting above Gomez for sure. Pickford also, should be Number 1, distribution is the best out of the 3. Hart should not be included.

That Maguire  must be really disappointed knowing that he could have been the playing for the City instead here he is tarting around in an England shirt .

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Star of the night

How did Dolly get that photo bomb ? 

These double posts are pretty annoying but I think I have the solution.

If I post once , it appears twice so if I don't post it will only appear one time .

I'll try it out and let you know .

10 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

What? 

I’m guessing your one word plus punctuation response is not that you don’t understand my comment but that you disagree with it?  Yes?

I don’t believe Kane is anywhere near as effective for England as he is for Tottenham.  Playing for Tottenham he knows that he can stay predominantly up-front, because the players around him are some of the best in the Prem and he will get the service he requires to take most chances that come his way.

Now, for England, he isn’t surrounded by some of the best players in International Football, and the service he gets is poor in comparison to Spurs.  He gets relatively isolated and doesn’t contribute much to the overall play.  

I’m not saying Kane isn’t a good player, just that I don’t think he’s a great fit for the way Southgate wants / needs us to play - a build up from the back with fluidity of the attack minded players.  Whether Southgate realises that or not I've no idea.  I very much suspect Southgate would’ve picked Kane last night had he been fit.

For me, picking Kane is picking a player because he is one of our best players, not because he fits the system.  Last night, Rashford (20) and the country’s favourite scapegoat Sterling (23) played really well together and for the team. Other players deemed not good enough, e.g. Oxlade and Lingard were really effective floating around another much-criticised Henderson.  Southgate picked a team last night, not 11 individuals.

When was the the last time you watched an England game and thought Kane contributed much, other than goal(s).  I’m not saying it’s his fault, but those insepid wins over Slovenia, Lithuania etc showed that we struggle to move the ball progressively forward when playing a rigid style...partly influenced by Kane’s role up front.  The only game I really enjoyed in qualifying was Slovakia, a 2-1 win at home.

What’s your view of Kane’s performances at International level - without blinkering your view of what he does at Spurs?  Might need more than a one word answer!

Glad to see some people agree with me after all. I thought it was a very inept performance against a side that would struggle in the Championship. There was a lot of decent passing but very little end product and a half-decent team would have torn England apart. What it shows is that most of these Premiership players only look good when surrounded by foreign stars in their own side.

In some ways it reminded me of watching City. All lovely tip tapping possession a few Magnússon moments by the totally overrated John Stones, Henderson pulling the strings like Pack, solid defending by Maguire like Flint, an all speed no end product Danny Rose display a la Ryan Kent, a Bobby Reid style finish by Jesse Lingard, but all in all a lack of ideas of how to break the defence open in the final third, clinically.

We won't do anything exciting in this World Cup and the Netherlands are the worst I have ever seen them.

Anyway, I have got a sneaky £10,000 on Russia to win the tournament....fairly of course with the full backing of a non corrupt FIFA.

4 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

In some ways it reminded me of watching City. All lovely tip tapping possession a few Magnússon moments by the totally overrated John Stones, Henderson pulling the strings like Pack, solid defending by Maguire like Flint, an all speed no end product Danny Rose display a la Ryan Kent, a Bobby Reid style finish by Jesse Lingard, but all in all a lack of ideas of how to break the defence open in the final third, clinically.

We won't do anything exciting in this World Cup and the Netherlands are the worst I have ever seen them.

Anyway, I have got a sneaky £10,000 on Russia to win the tournament....fairly of course with the full backing of a non corrupt FIFA.

I'd be tempted by a wager on England not getting out of the group, however unpatriotic that sounds. :fear:

10 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

I'd be tempted by a wager on England not getting out of the group, however unpatriotic that sounds. :fear:

Who is gonna bet against Russia winning the tournament? What is the worst anyone is gonna do? Expel a couple of diplomats?......Ooooooh well hard! :laughcont:

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 18:41, NOTBLUE said:

WTF,......words fail me.......

Well, as a slightly more upbeat conclusion:

https://nos.nl/artikel/2224136-amsterdamse-brit-dregt-uit-schaamte-fiets-op.html

Rough translation...

"Long-term British resident in Amsterdam retrieves bike thrown in by English football "fans"'

..."The next morning he saw videos on Facebook on which, in addition to the usual beer showers and coarse choirs, a bicycle was also thrown into the canal near the Oudezijds Kolk. "The bike had two child seats and was close to my children's day-care centre. That bike could belong to someone who also brings his or her children there.

Roberts wanted to show that not every Englishman is a hooligan. "Together with my son, I went to my boat with a boathook , and we fished the bike out...the Amsterdammer is planning to put the bike back today."

Give this game a miss as I have been there a few times. What I did notice when watching alll the trouble ( if you can call it that) it was mainly a lot of younger fans that seemed to be making all the noise and fuss and it all seemed to be round the red light distrect . If reckon at least 90% won’t be going to Russia and after seeing some of those Russians in Marseille 2 years I know who I’d put my money on in a scrap. Like most away games whether it’s englang or city if you use your loaf where you go you can normally have a good time and never see a punch thrown. 

To all the city fans that  went hope you had a good time and get home safely especially the lads from Weston .. 

11 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Star of the night

I wondered what the comment was about mascot!! Not a good advert for her,her parents, Holland and FIFA. Thought England looked better than I could have expected Poor Dutch side though.

Archived