IGNORED

Panini stickers and Albums (Merged)

4 very excited kids in my house today!!!!!

80p a pack is a far cry from the 12p i was paying in 1986.

still, love doing it and i convinced its helped with their number recognition and geography (at least thats how i justify it!)

27 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

Was listening to absolute radio this morning and they mentioned it will cost around £750 on average to complete a set.

edit: it’s around £600 not 750 to complete https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/935577/Panini-World-Cup-2018-stickers-release-date-album

OMG the cost per sticker has almost doubled since the last world cup. And the distribution of individual sticker themselves are no doubt not uniform. A con all round. But at least they're officially licensed so at least FIFA execs do okay out of it.

16 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

OMG the cost per sticker has almost doubled since the last world cup. And the distribution of individual sticker themselves are no doubt not uniform. A con all round. But at least they're officially licensed so at least FIFA execs do okay out of it.

it’s hardly a con. more expensive then before maybe, but if someone wants to do it and values the product that is on offer, how is it a con? just the same as when people say Sky is a ‘con’. it’s just the price of the service. no one is forcing you to buy it or hoodwinking you into it

17 hours ago, 054123 said:

4 very excited kids in my house today!!!!!

80p a pack is a far cry from the 12p i was paying in 1986.

still, love doing it and i convinced its helped with their number recognition and geography (at least thats how i justify it!)

Bloody cheap compared to petrol prices from that era.

My nan never worked with inflation. When I was 5 I got 10p when I was 25... You get it :laugh:

12 hours ago, Jarman said:

I got Bailey, too ..... 

s-l500.jpg

12 hours ago, Jarman said:

I got Bailey, too ..... 

s-l500.jpg

I had this one. It was bloody Mickey gynn  that cost me 300 stickers... but it got that years annual finished

Every time a world cup comes around I keep thinking I'll recreate my youth and do a.sticker album. The last time I did one was Italia 90.

Then I remember how much it costs and the fact that I'd be doing it on my own would mean I'd end up with a ton of unwanted stickers.

Before anyone suggests it, a 44 year old man hanging around outside school gates asking kids if they have stickers to swap is the sort of thing that gets you sent down for a long time !!!

5 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Every time a world cup comes around I keep thinking I'll recreate my youth and do a.sticker album. The last time I did one was Italia 90.

Then I remember how much it costs and the fact that I'd be doing it on my own would mean I'd end up with a ton of unwanted stickers.

Before anyone suggests it, a 44 year old man hanging around outside school gates asking kids if they have stickers to swap is the sort of thing that gets you sent down for a long time !!!

You'll be ok. Just don't say come and see what I've got in my pocket.

14 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

To be fair during Euro 2016 I agreed some swaps with someone on here.

i used  laststicker.com for the last world cup.ended up swapping all over the world and the postage was cheaper than buying loads of packets to get disappointed.think I ended up with 3 or 4 complete sets out of swaps bar a few so I bought those off ebay.

still had to buy far too many to get the swaps needed and wont be doing it again.

Rather than Panini stickers, somewhere in the basement I still have the All Stars (think star-shaped Wotsits for those to young or old to remember) card collections, which in 1977 had British footballers (my favourite was Alfie Conn of Celtic who's hair looked like it had escaped from a film about Bonnie Prince Charlie) and in 1978 covered the World Cup in Argentina. Can particularly recall the Kenny Dalglish & Mario Kempes cards.

10 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Rather than Panini stickers, somewhere in the basement I still have the All Stars (think star-shaped Wotsits for those to young or old to remember) card collections, which in 1977 had British footballers (my favourite was Alfie Conn of Celtic who's hair looked like it had escaped from a film about Bonnie Prince Charlie) and in 1978 covered the World Cup in Argentina. Can particularly recall the Kenny Dalglish & Mario Kempes cards.

Doh! How could I forget the only (future) City player in that collection? Step forward Clifton resident, one Joe Jordan!

Apparently a mint set of the 1978 cards & book available online for just £18...

I've only got 'The Wonderful World of Soccer Stars, Picture Stamp Album 1968-69'. Basically all the First Division teams of the time.

Collected them eagerly at Primary School, the Album went missing sometime in the 70's, and a friend later photo copied his whole completed album for me.

On 22/03/2018 at 20:20, Greedo said:

it’s hardly a con. more expensive then before maybe, but if someone wants to do it and values the product that is on offer, how is it a con? just the same as when people say Sky is a ‘con’. it’s just the price of the service. no one is forcing you to buy it or hoodwinking you into it

It’s a con because they’re preying on the collecting instinct of young kids. Any adults who fall for it only have themselves to blame.

Stop and think what they’re actually doing; basically putting together a modest pictorial guide to a football tournament. If they sold that with all the pictures simply printed as in a normal magazine, what would it fetch? £10? That’s basically what it’s worth.

Removing the photos and selling them separately is basically exploitative, especially with the way they are sold sight unseen.  OK they’re offering a sort of service by selling a hobby in a way. But fundamentally it’s a very lucrative system unless the stickers are sold very cheaply. What is the cost of production compared with the cost of sale? The margins must be humongous. If they sold the stickers in packs of 20 for 25p it could perhaps be justified. At these figures I would say it can’t.

Archived