IGNORED

Panini stickers and Albums (Merged)

8 hours ago, Leveller said:

It’s a con because they’re preying on the collecting instinct of young kids. Any adults who fall for it only have themselves to blame.

Stop and think what they’re actually doing; basically putting together a modest pictorial guide to a football tournament. If they sold that with all the pictures simply printed as in a normal magazine, what would it fetch? £10? That’s basically what it’s worth.

Removing the photos and selling them separately is basically exploitative, especially with the way they are sold sight unseen.  OK they’re offering a sort of service by selling a hobby in a way. But fundamentally it’s a very lucrative system unless the stickers are sold very cheaply. What is the cost of production compared with the cost of sale? The margins must be humongous. If they sold the stickers in packs of 20 for 25p it could perhaps be justified. At these figures I would say it can’t.

wow who pissed on your easter eggs this morning?

Every time these albums come out it brings back memories of being at school with all my mates swapping stickers etc. Its not exploitative its fun for the kids, although I do agree its stupidly expensive this year. Wont stop me getting involved.

7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

wow who pissed on your easter eggs this morning?

Every time these albums come out it brings back memories of being at school with all my mates swapping stickers etc. Its not exploitative its fun for the kids, although I do agree its stupidly expensive this year. Wont stop me getting involved.

So how exactly do you combine  “it’s not exploitative” with “I agree it’s stupidly expensive”. It’s big business taking too much of kids pocket money off them isn’t it? 

I must admit I hadn’t realised there might be adults still doing it too.

I wonder how much Panini pay to FIFA for the exclusive rights to produce the stickers? I bet the majority of the price increases since the last world cup can be found there.

Edit:

Actually, having just looked around the net, while there are no precise figures, not only do Panini have to pay FIFA for the exclusive rights to produce the world cup sticker albums, they also have to negotiate with each national association for the use of their badges, strips etc and then with certain individual players for the use of their images.

No wonder they cost so much.

On 22/03/2018 at 19:07, 054123 said:

80p a pack is a far cry from the 12p i was paying in 1986.

6d (2.5p) in 1969/70 :P Walk to and from school and the saved bus fare bought two packets a day.

On 31/03/2018 at 00:58, Leveller said:

It’s a con because they’re preying on the collecting instinct of young kids. Any adults who fall for it only have themselves to blame.

Stop and think what they’re actually doing; basically putting together a modest pictorial guide to a football tournament. If they sold that with all the pictures simply printed as in a normal magazine, what would it fetch? £10? That’s basically what it’s worth.

Removing the photos and selling them separately is basically exploitative, especially with the way they are sold sight unseen.  OK they’re offering a sort of service by selling a hobby in a way. But fundamentally it’s a very lucrative system unless the stickers are sold very cheaply. What is the cost of production compared with the cost of sale? The margins must be humongous. If they sold the stickers in packs of 20 for 25p it could perhaps be justified. At these figures I would say it can’t.

its f in , expensive but there are more exploitative things going on in the world we should put a stop to before stupid stickers  

Some posters have called it a con. Well, if you think outside of the box there are ways to beat a con by playing them at their own game. For instance, remember those adverts for the magazine which gave a piece away with each issue to build a replica of The Flying Scotsman? I was told by those itk that to complete it would cost nearly £1500. So to beat this con what I did was simply bought the first and last issues and made a tunnel out of paper mache and then had the front of the Flying Scotsman appear as if emerging from the tunnel and the back of it appear as if it was just about to disappear into the tunnel.

I still had my brilliant replica of the Flying Scotsman but for a fraction of the cost.

9 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Some posters have called it a con. Well, if you think outside of the box there are ways to beat a con by playing them at their own game. For instance, remember those adverts for the magazine which gave a piece away with each issue to build a replica of The Flying Scotsman? I was told by those itk that to complete it would cost nearly £1500. So to beat this con what I did was simply bought the first and last issues and made a tunnel out of paper mache and then had the front of the Flying Scotsman appear as if emerging from the tunnel and the back of it appear as if it was just about to disappear into the tunnel.

I still had my brilliant replica of the Flying Scotsman but for a fraction of the cost.

You should send that in to Viz Top Tips.

• Admin

'Panini Cheapskates' to draw each World Cup 2018 sticker

Home made football stickersI

A couple whose homemade football stickers won fans around the world will try to fill the entire World Cup 2018 album.

Alex and Sian Pratchett began drawing in the 2014 World Cup as they could not justify the cost of filling the album with official stickers.

Their efforts soon attracted attention on social media, and was even covered by newspapers in Iran and Japan.

They expect it to take more than 170 hours to fill the 2018 Panini album.

"A lot of people have cajoled us to give it another stab", said Mr Pratchett.

The couple from Oxford post the pictures on Twitter as @CheapPanini and will once again draw each one during the 32-day tournament, which starts in Moscow on 14 June.

But Mr Pratchett added it would be "a bit different" as they now have a baby and "it turns out they take up quite a bit of time".

It has been calculated that completing the 2018 edition might cost as much as £773.60, but Panini has said it is less if people swap stickers or send off for missing ones.

"It became a bit of thing on the internet... It was not what we were anticipating but a lot of fun in a weird way," said Mr Pratchett

Dubbed the "Panini Cheapskates" they decided do it once more for Euro 2016 to raise £4,500 for charity and will fundraise again this year.

The couple plan to support Cancer Research UK, MacIntyre, Nordoff Robbins, and Stonewall - but despite their previous experience Mr Pratchett said their drawing skills still left something to be desired.

"We're very resistant to improvement, we've drawn about 1,500 of these little guys and we're still pretty hopeless."

Saloman Kalou