IGNORED

What does under 25 year old think about OTIB?

bristolcitysweden

The “younger generation” and “older generation” mean different things as you get older. When I was young, “old” was over 30. Now I’m a bit older, “young” means anything under 80. Old is over 95. 

2 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

How so, Robbo? What are the give away signs?

Acne, pants showing over the top of jeans, mobile phones that cost more than my car?

23. My opinion of this site is that it is in echo chamber.There seems to be a number of users on here with quite high post number. RobboRed as an example, the 3 threads i have looked at today and you have the most number of posts in all of them. It gets boring very quickly when you have the same small group of posters conducting 70% of the conversations on each thread every day. Do you guys not have lives outside of this little corner on the internet ?

I get that we need users to post in order to have any discussion but most of it i crap jokes. Just look at this thread. most of it is total garbage, topics just go off topic too quickly to get any real discussion going. We live in an era where every story going on or that has ever happened is at the tip of our fingertips. This is what you are competing with. 

You also have to remember that everyone is on mainstream social media, facebook Twitter etc. The city till i die facebook page has access to everyone on there. How does this site get new users ? how can this site compete ? Cause I dont think it can. 

I don't think it is a competition; boards with too many users are as bad as those with too few.  When you have a forum with as many posts as, say, the Man City board then every interesting discussion disappears in a great WHUMP of noise.

There are a significant number of people who actively dislike Facebook and Twitter, I do and several people with whom I work have expressed their, entirely unprompted by me, distaste for those platforms, hence for them this site will always be first choice for matters City.

2 minutes ago, Furious Custard said:

23. My opinion of this site is that it is in echo chamber.There seems to be a number of users on here with quite high post number. RobboRed as an example, the 3 threads i have looked at today and you have the most number of posts in all of them. It gets boring very quickly when you have the same small group of posters conducting 70% of the conversations on each thread every day. Do you guys not have lives outside of this little corner on the internet ?

I get that we need users to post in order to have any discussion but most of it i crap jokes. Just look at this thread. most of it is total garbage, topics just go off topic too quickly to get any real discussion going. We live in an era where every story going on or that has ever happened is at the tip of our fingertips. This is what you are competing with. 

You also have to remember that everyone is on mainstream social media, facebook Twitter etc. The city till i die facebook page has access to everyone on there. How does this site get new users ? how can this site compete ? Cause I dont think it can. 

I’m a member of city till I die and that is a hell of a lot worse than this for crap jokes and the likes trust me,of course you are right because Facebook and the like are more popular because it’s easy to post on there when you truly haven’t got a clue without being taken to task like you would in here or on any football forum 

i think an app would work wonders for engagement with the younger generations. for example, an update sent to the phone (new threads, replies, likes etc) grabs the attention, rather than hoping they come to you.

it's not about if the app would be any better, simply it's how you engage youngsters. look at instagram. if a friend posts a live video, it tells you.

as a curious aside, according to my profile, ive been on this forum 17614 days, a good 3000 more than I've been alive.

5 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

I'm 19. Been on here for 5 and a half years!

Additionally, I think the birth of social media allows a lot of my generation, unfortunately me included at times, to mindlessly scroll through a phone rather than think critically or independently, so the idea of a forum with strong, thought out opinions probably doesn't attract that person as much as it would an older generation - who's more used to having to actively think for themselves about what they see and hear every day. 

Wow! That's one of the most profound thoughts I've ever seen on here. Well done mate.

BTW; I'm 63 and joined 15 years ago. I've never been banned, but over the years have had four or five posts deleted.

37 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Maybe this needs a thread of its own but when let’s say city get a penalty and the first thought of the social media youngsters is not Cmon make sure you bury it it’s to pull your phone out and watch it through a phone screen,it’s bizarre in my eyes 

I’m 30 so at the late end of the generation that have had mobiles most their life, and I’ll never understand this. Music concerts as well do my head in stood behind someone and have a phone waved in front of you - just live and enjoy the moment!

1 hour ago, Furious Custard said:

Facebook and Twitter are so yesterday and passé. Of course I may be wrong as I am not young enough to know everything.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Phonetic mostly and immaturity of course.

Have you read the post from Cheddar Reds?

Aged 55: For this old 'un the young 'uns drop into a number of categories. (a). Bright, intelligent individuals. (b) monosyllabic (c) have a huge sense of their own self importance (d) crooked, (e) sharp (f) idle.... hang on...much like my Generation really

5 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

I'm 19. Been on here for 5 and a half years!

Additionally, I think the birth of social media allows a lot of my generation, unfortunately me included at times, to mindlessly scroll through a phone rather than think critically or independently, so the idea of a forum with strong, thought out opinions probably doesn't attract that person as much as it would an older generation - who's more used to having to actively think for themselves about what they see and hear every day. 

I

I'm a bit like that when I wander through Tesco, if I have an accumulator on with Paddy Power. My eyes aren't too far from that app if it's looking good.

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I’m a member of city till I die and that is a hell of a lot worse than this for crap jokes and the likes trust me,of course you are right because Facebook and the like are more popular because it’s easy to post on there when you truly haven’t got a clue without being taken to task like you would in here or on any football forum 

I am not a member so in that case I'll count myself lucky.Facebook doesn't have any anonymity to hide behind which is maybe why you don't see users getting into heated discussions, when you have a real name and a face everyone tends to be much more civil than on anonymous forums like OTIB.  I'm not claiming that any of the cretins on Facebook are civilised! 

11 minutes ago, Furious Custard said:

I am not a member so in that case I'll count myself lucky.Facebook doesn't have any anonymity to hide behind which is maybe why you don't see users getting into heated discussions, when you have a real name and a face everyone tends to be much more civil than on anonymous forums like OTIB.  I'm not claiming that any of the cretins on Facebook are civilised! 

Good job your not on Facebook then because a real name and a face doesn’t apply to Facebook either so you would be sick of it.

Archived