IGNORED

What does under 25 year old think about OTIB?

bristolcitysweden

I’m 53 and a half, and having seen the ‘City til I Die’ Facebook page I’m glad I’m not under 25. It makes the Rovers’ Gaschat forum look intelligent. Really emphasises how schools have dumbed down on exams in recent decades. Not saying there isn’t the odd decent contribution but give me OTIB any day and every day. 

I’m 25. I’ve been reading OTIB for god knows how long, not even sure how long I’ve been a member for. I agree with Furious Custard. Most times when I start to read a thread, if it’s got about 30+ comments on it I don’t tend to comment because it’s usually been taken away from the original post by the same old users spouting the same old jokes. Puns kill threads on here and it happens far to much. I won’t lie I mainly use this site for the transfer rumours during the summer and January window, sometimes you’ll get genuine rumours on here and it’s good to stay in the know, but twitter breaks 90% of our rumours now so coming on here to read about it and see people’s opinions is genuinely, I feel, the best part about this forum. 

After matchdays i tend to stay away from OTIB, few wins and we’re the best team to grace the earth, few losses and Johnson should be sacked, I get it’s just people’s opinions but it gets tiresome. Having said all of that I don’t think OTIB needs to change anything it’s doing. It’s one of the most successful and popular football forums in the country and fair play to it. Not everyone will love it but it’s better than most things out there. 

1 hour ago, Negan said:

I’m 25. I’ve been reading OTIB for god knows how long, not even sure how long I’ve been a member for. I agree with Furious Custard. Most times when I start to read a thread, if it’s got about 30+ comments on it I don’t tend to comment because it’s usually been taken away from the original post by the same old users spouting the same old jokes. Puns kill threads on here and it happens far to much. I won’t lie I mainly use this site for the transfer rumours during the summer and January window, sometimes you’ll get genuine rumours on here and it’s good to stay in the know, but twitter breaks 90% of our rumours now so coming on here to read about it and see people’s opinions is genuinely, I feel, the best part about this forum. 

After matchdays i tend to stay away from OTIB, few wins and we’re the best team to grace the earth, few losses and Johnson should be sacked, I get it’s just people’s opinions but it gets tiresome. Having said all of that I don’t think OTIB needs to change anything it’s doing. It’s one of the most successful and popular football forums in the country and fair play to it. Not everyone will love it but it’s better than most things out there. 

People who used to post those awful puns, the equivalent of Tourettes Syndrome for those so unfunny and anti-humour that they probably laugh at Michael MacIntyre, have mostly been shamed into not doing it any more.

3 hours ago, Negan said:

It does get tiresome I will agree with the puns nonsense,but when it comes to the football side so many people use this site it’s what you would expect from passionate people after a defeat or win,if we all agreed about everything then life would be a tad boring,anyway Johnson out unless we win our next game 

17 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The Major is a lady?  I always get these things wrong; I was (wrongly) convinced that @Septic Peg was a bloke because of her forthright posting style.  I can confirm she is 100% woman.

Mind, I am under twenty five so have an excuse for such mistakes.

Cheers ears. Not sure how you can be 100% unless you are the weirdo that was peering through my window whilst I was in the nip? In which case, come back and clean up the puke you left behind.

17 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Blimey you must of slept with our @Septic Peg to 100% confirm that,not sure she would be happy that you posted your love life on here

Can confirm that Eddie has not been anywhere near my lady garden.

14 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Have you read the post from Cheddar Reds?

Aged 55: For this old 'un the young 'uns drop into a number of categories. (a). Bright, intelligent individuals. (b) monosyllabic (c) have a huge sense of their own self importance (d) crooked, (e) sharp (f) idle.... hang on...much like my Generation really

Interested to know if I'm classed as a young 'un and if so, which group category I'm in.

12 hours ago, redapple said:

I’m 53 and a half, and having seen the ‘City til I Die’ Facebook page I’m glad I’m not under 25. It makes the Rovers’ Gaschat forum look intelligent. Really emphasises how schools have dumbed down on exams in recent decades. Not saying there isn’t the odd decent contribution but give me OTIB any day and every day. 

You've obviously never seen the Rovers Appreciation Page on fb. It's as bad as CTID. I kid you not.

20 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

I'm 19. Been on here for 5 and a half years!

Most people I've spoken to my age who are into football don't have huge interest in a forum. Part of that is unfortunately most are part time Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool fans etc but also with various social media all the 'important' talking points are heard of quickly. I only really get people asking about Bristol City when we have a Tammy Abraham on loan scoring for fun or are playing a Manchester club in the cup, because they aren't as close to their club so don't have as much interest in discussing the little things and it's the small part about the club they see on social media.

Additionally, I think the birth of social media allows a lot of my generation, unfortunately me included at times, to mindlessly scroll through a phone rather than think critically or independently, so the idea of a forum with strong, thought out opinions probably doesn't attract that person as much as it would an older generation - who's more used to having to actively think for themselves about what they see and hear every day. 

If OTIB wanted to reach more of the younger generation the quickest solution would likely be an app. My twin uses the City til I die facebook page, and despite knowing there's more detailed chat on OTIB uses that page because it's of easy access. An app would be a quicker way for a lot of people my age to engage rather than open a laptop or a web browser - I know, aren't we lazy?! OTIB could also start using other social media platforms to advertise the site. I follow OTIB on twitter which I find useful, having been on the site before, to notice any threads that might be of interest. However to someone who's never used the forum before I doubt it'd be as engaging. Saying this I do appreciate the mods who run this and likely the other social media platform all have full time jobs and already do a wonderful job - this isn't a dig, thanks for the work you do!

I'm not sure quite what you mean when you say you aren't sure how the younger generation communicate though?

18 hours ago, Robbored said:

Phonetic mostly and immaturity of course.

Point forcefully disproved in my opinion. 

Interesting thread 

Don't really know that many City fans in the 'real world', and pretty sure those I do know of my age range (mid to late 20s) don't use this forum or others. I think one or 2 may have in past, but a lot of people I know or work with either aren't from Bristol, have their own sides, are so-say PL fans or have no interest in football, so I guess very few I know would post on here!!

I've been registered here nearly 10 years,/one of the better forums around I reckon. The puns can get rather tiresome however.

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The puns can get rather tiresome however.

I find appreciation of puns even worse. I told almost a dozen jokes in here hoping one may make people laugh. Sadly, no pun in ten did...

13 hours ago, redapple said:

I'd have to disagree there. Some of the worst in that group before I left it were of the middle aged persuasion. Such a vile group to be a part of. Very few iterated in engaging in civilised conversation.

On the whole, this forum does get some good discussions going. Until they're derailed by the "my opinion differs to yours so I'm just going to be a dick" brigade entering the fray.

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting thread 

Don't really know that many City fans in the 'real world', and pretty sure those I do know of my age range (mid to late 20s) don't use this forum or others. I think one or 2 may have in past, but a lot of people I know or work with either aren't from Bristol, have their own sides, are so-say PL fans or have no interest in football, so I guess very few I know would post on here!!

I've been registered here nearly 10 years,/one of the better forums around I reckon. The puns can get rather tiresome however.

Too true for the puns . 

I will add there's a thyme and a plaice . 

19 hours ago, Furious Custard said:

23. My opinion of this site is that it is in echo chamber.There seems to be a number of users on here with quite high post number. RobboRed as an example, the 3 threads i have looked at today and you have the most number of posts in all of them. It gets boring very quickly when you have the same small group of posters conducting 70% of the conversations on each thread every day. Do you guys not have lives outside of this little corner on the internet ?

I get that we need users to post in order to have any discussion but most of it i crap jokes. Just look at this thread. most of it is total garbage, topics just go off topic too quickly to get any real discussion going. We live in an era where every story going on or that has ever happened is at the tip of our fingertips. This is what you are competing with. 

You also have to remember that everyone is on mainstream social media, facebook Twitter etc. The city till i die facebook page has access to everyone on there. How does this site get new users ? how can this site compete ? Cause I dont think it can. 

Understand your point and fully respect your opinion, however in this life there are many different characters with many different personalities.  Some are serious, some are shy, some find humour in life and so the permutations go on.  You can't expect people to change their personalities just to come on a forum. The diversity of personalities is what makes the place what it is. I doubt you and your mates go to a pub or club and sit there with serious looks on your faces but also partake in a little banter. We all do.

You then ask if some posters have lives outside this corner of the internet which I find somewhat presumptuous in the same way as someone saying "get a life". All of us on here live our lives in the way we have decided. I for one am 58 years old and have lived and worked a full and enjoyable all over the world (Australia, France, Morocco, USA, Ireland and Saudi Arabia) and still own and run my own company that allows me to travel on a weekly basis. I spend a lot of time alone in a hotel, plane or Airport and enjoy coming on here to see what is going on. Others are maybe in a similar position or are now retired and have the extra few hours a week to contribute to forums such as this. Others are maybe homebound or bedbound due to illness or other circumstances and this is their contact with the outside world. To ask if they have lives outside of here without knowing their circumstances is quite frankly rude and taking the piss.

I have been on this forum for a number of years and have seen posters come and go. Some of their own accord and some who have moved on from this world. Always there have been others join up and that will always be the case and this site will compete and has shown it can compete.

Too long a post to quote BigTone but an excellent reply to a newbie with 46 posts who feels qualified to pass comment about our forum..............:disapointed2se:

Ive been retired 8 years and been a member since 2003 (according to my profile) but in fact I joined before then and that explains my high post count.

32 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Understand your point and fully respect your opinion, however in this life there are many different characters with many different personalities.  Some are serious, some are shy, some find humour in life and so the permutations go on.  You can't expect people to change their personalities just to come on a forum. The diversity of personalities is what makes the place what it is. I doubt you and your mates go to a pub or club and sit there with serious looks on your faces but also partake in a little banter. We all do.

You then ask if some posters have lives outside this corner of the internet which I find somewhat presumptuous in the same way as someone saying "get a life". All of us on here live our lives in the way we have decided. I for one am 58 years old and have lived and worked a full and enjoyable all over the world (Australia, France, Morocco, USA, Ireland and Saudi Arabia) and still own and run my own company that allows me to travel on a weekly basis. I spend a lot of time alone in a hotel, plane or Airport and enjoy coming on here to see what is going on. Others are maybe in a similar position or are now retired and have the extra few hours a week to contribute to forums such as this. Others are maybe homebound or bedbound due to illness or other circumstances and this is their contact with the outside world. To ask if they have lives outside of here without knowing their circumstances is quite frankly rude and taking the piss.

I have been on this forum for a number of years and have seen posters come and go. Some of their own accord and some who have moved on from this world. Always there have been others join up and that will always be the case and this site will compete and has shown it can compete.

Condensed version. 

We've all got lives , thank you .

Don't like it here, don't come on .

On 3/24/2018 at 21:25, redapple said:

I'd disagree. There's idiots today and there were idiots when you were under 25. The inability of youngsters to communicate is exacerbated by social media as the less intelligent groups of your generation did not have a platform to write and communicate to the masses. Although this forum is not idiot free, it is amazing how low the IQ appears to be on the Facebook page when compared to OTIB.

I'm 25 and grew up on a council estate with three other siblings. I have a good job in the London working in the City and so do my brother/sisters who live elsewhere in the country. People are quick to criticise my generation but, believe it or not, most of us can read and write without any issues. You could blame the parents who bring up a lot of the kids or even other generations who apparently 'messed up' the world we live in.   

1 hour ago, Coppello said:

I'd disagree. There's idiots today and there were idiots when you were under 25. The inability of youngsters to communicate is exacerbated by social media as the less intelligent groups of your generation did not have a platform to write and communicate to the masses. Although this forum is not idiot free, it is amazing how low the IQ appears to be on the Facebook page when compared to OTIB.

I'm 25 and grew up on a council estate with three other siblings. I have a good job in the London working in the City and so do my brother/sisters who live elsewhere in the country. People are quick to criticise my generation but, believe it or not, most of us can read and write without any issues. You could blame the parents who bring up a lot of the kids or even other generations who apparently 'messed up' the world we live in.   

Excellent post. If all our under 30 fans can write (very well) and think like this, I have great hopes for our fan base. 

You are right, apart from a (very common) misunderstanding of the difference between "there and their" and "our and are" generally the posts on here are well informed and literate. 

Have you read Coppello's post Robbo Red ? And would you have identified the poster as under 30 if he (or she) had not mentioned their age ? 

For the record (as your age is a theme of this thread) I will be 67 years old in June and I have been a City fan since about the age Copello is now. 

2 hours ago, Coppello said:

That’s a very valid point Coppello. I’m not knocking anyone under 25, just the content and the grammar of that Facebook page which I presume to be younger fans but it seems I’ve presumed wrongly. 

I’m glad your a council house kiddy whose done ok for yourself. I think that applies to a lot of us on here even us older ones. I’m sure most of us have done our best as parents as well. 

I’m 23, been posting for maybe 3/4 years. 

Personally like the forum and flutter in and out as I please. If I ever hear city news I normally put it in here

Possibly different to most around my age possibly due to coaching and playing background but absolutely love chatting football, even when people disagree I find it fascinating seeing different viewpoints etc, I think the forum is a great place for that. Also a place you meet like minded people and also the odd belter but all city ain’t we 

I'm 18 and I've been on here for a couple of years now. 

I find myself coming in and out of the forum as I wish. I have only a few proper football fan freinds who are willing to talk football so this is where I get my daily discussion from. Unfortunately, bar @tomhbcfc and 2 others who I have converted, everyone else in my school year group only knows football through playing fifa and watching their 'beloved' Man United/Arsenal/Chelsea on the television.

Although the are some interesting characters on here, on the whole everyone has something engaging to say (most of the time...) and at the end of the day we all share a love of City, which is something that attracted me here in the first place. 

I'm also part of the CTID Facebook group although I rarely post because it's mainly taken up by Bristol Post articles and trolls, making it mostly unbearable and frankly boring to read through compared to the diversity in threads that can be found on OTIB. 

On 3/25/2018 at 15:56, Major Isewater said:

Condensed version. 

We've all got lives , thank you .

Don't like it here, don't come on .

and if so - any poster should  try not to make a big thing of any farewell speech full of righteous indignation and then return to the fold a few posts later.

Because some of us over 25's are just  too immature to ignore this opportunity .

On 25/03/2018 at 15:24, BigTone said:

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I understand that everyones circumstances are different and that this site is a great place for city fans to come and interact.  Its why i come on here as i dont know many football fans let alone City fans. 

The initial question about how the site can be more appealing to the next generation of fans still stands. Does the general user base even want more of the younger generation getting involved out of fear of it ending up like the facebook page ?

44 minutes ago, Furious Custard said:

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I understand that everyones circumstances are different and that this site is a great place for city fans to come and interact.  Its why i come on here as i dont know many football fans let alone City fans. 

The initial question about how the site can be more appealing to the next generation of fans still stands. Does the general user base even want more of the younger generation getting involved out of fear of it ending up like the facebook page ?

I don't think about it .OTIB is an open forum where even our Gas friends can post , at their peril .

There is no particular age  for stupidity or intelligent discussion for me every one is welcome.

( apart from Thatch , he can do one . ) 

There is a community spirit here which I find most agreeable. 

All I can say on this thread is that I am very glad that this type of thing wasn't around when I was 25 (it was a very good year, though - one for the Under 25s there), or Under 25, especially. 

Bed-wetting, toy-throwing, dummy-spitting and a delirious sense-of-entitlement were around well before t'internet and the invention of football in 1992, kids! Oh yes.

All we could do, though, outside of matchday, in the 1980s was to write furiously to the Evening Post, or the manager of the time, and then wait. For days.

Fair play to Terry Cooper, mind; he always wrote back. Sometimes at length. I still have his patient, paternal responses on embossed paper. He was a great man.

It was entertaining to see the retro bedsheets last season, though. I rather enjoyed that. Being an old bedsheet warrior myself, from the glory days. What is football without a bit of completely over the top, hysterical, misguided, misinformed bile? Answer: rugby union.

When SL/LJ take us up into the Prem, mind, we owe it to them to revisit this, a mea culpa bedsheet. But until then: the dury's still out, and OTIB thunders on. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I don't think about it .OTIB is an open forum where even our Gas friends can post , at their peril .

There is no particular age  for stupidity or intelligent discussion for me every one is welcome.

( apart from Thatch , he can do one . ) 

There is a community spirit here which I find most agreeable. 

can you see what i did there?;)

@CheddarReds / @Eddie Hitler - not sure if this is a compliment, or not, but I had you two pinned well beyond your years from your posts. I'll congratulate you, feel free to tell me to **** off though :thumbsup:

I think we all know what @Robbored means, as always it's the way he tells them, isn't it? I refuse to reply to messages from my 15 and 12 year olds unless it's in proper English, annoys the living shit out of me, but realise I'm probably in a minority there

I'm 44, I don't visit here as much as I used to, and as someone else said, never on match day. I'm a big fan of twitter, so do more on there nowadays. That facebook group that has been mentioned, I joined it for about a week going back a year or two. **** me, that was an experience. Not my cup of tea, but it takes all sorts and there's certainly a time and place for groups like that it seems. Good luck to the people on there if they enjoy it

I don't really care what age anyone is, I love reading the stories from the older lot, and I always love to see young 'uns following their local team. Long may you suffer the pain that I, and many others on here, have. My little boy is 8 weeks old tomorrow, I've told him many a story about the City and how we're going to watch the games together (I've already apologised to him), and the 15 and 12 year olds I mentioned earlier are coming down to the Brentford game with me. I wasn't brought up in Bristol, or as a City fan, so having a forum like this, and Rivals before it, gave me a place to share the experience and a place to talk about City. Anyone I've argued with, agreed with, met in real life, had my mental image of you blown when realising I followed you on twitter, I thank you. Long may it continue

Up the ******* City

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It's either you or me , I suspect it's me but I don't get your point .

Is it worth elaborating on or should we just continue like an old couple ? 

Speak up man, did you say " I respect my knee but won't get your joint" ?

Sigh.... ok, here goes...

You said in post #82 "There is a community spirit here which I find most agreeable". In reply I 'snaked' you in a brazen act of poor community spirit.

I then posted " can you see what I did there?" i.e. I made light of your noble comment by virtue of a snake which cannot be described as agreeable ergo; comedic irony.

Now, wrap up warm and if possible remind me to take my statins and aspirin.

Anyways- what we're we talking about? Ah, yes- I remember now- that young John Atyeo is a jolly fine chap and looks an excellent buy at 87 guineas and a packet of woodbine.

27 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Speak up man, did you say " I respect my knee but won't get your joint" ?

Sigh.... ok, here goes...

You said in post #82 "There is a community spirit here which I find most agreeable". In reply I 'snaked' you in a brazen act of poor community spirit.

I then posted " can you see what I did there?" i.e. I made light of your noble comment by virtue of a snake which cannot be described as agreeable ergo; comedic irony.

Now, wrap up warm and if possible remind me to take my statins and aspirin.

Anyways- what we're we talking about? Ah, yes- I remember now- that young John Atyeo is a jolly fine chap and looks an excellent buy at 87 guineas and a packet of woodbine.

You brazen hussy, I get it now .

The comedic impact may have dissipated a smidge  since this saga started but nice try anyway .

;)

Archived