IGNORED

Our away support: some context/perspective

Jack Dawe

1 hour ago, cityred exile said:

How many do we all reckon should be going to Barnsley ?    1000 + it should be ! bet anyone we don't take 700  that's a big let down !

I bet you we definitely take more than 700. How much do you care to wager..?

9 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Our away support is poor if you compare it to the bigger clubs in the division is Wednesday, Norwich, Wolves, Leeds etc.. but then those clubs have had sustained periods of success which have allowed them to pick up a bigger following. This has never happened at City so why should we judge ourselves by their standards? 

Fair point. Here’s a question for any statto’s out there...

Of the clubs not to have had any time in the Premier league yet, who have the hugest average away followings..?

5 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Our away support is poor if you compare it to the bigger clubs in the division is Wednesday, Norwich, Wolves, Leeds etc.. but then those clubs have had sustained periods of success which have allowed them to pick up a bigger following. This has never happened at City so why should we judge ourselves by their standards? 

Both East Anglia clubs  are outposts  with a big catchment area  ,  But remember Bristol population is  THREE TIMES as big as those Anglians  AND yet there HOME attendances are on a par with us !

2 minutes ago, cityred exile said:

Both East Anglia clubs  are outposts  with a big catchment area  ,  But remember Bristol population is  THREE TIMES as big as those Anglians  AND yet there HOME attendances are on a par with us !

Yes, but Bristol & it’s catchment area is a big draw to “outsiders”. Bristol is highly thought of as one of THE places to live and as such, a fair percentage of the population probably have very little affinity to either us or Rovers. 

East Anglia... who’d move their you weren’t born into the area..? 

2 minutes ago, cityred exile said:

What would make you happy mate?

If we just ignored things like European honours, top flight history and consistently larger crowds of other clubs over many decades and we all just say our support at City is ******* shit?

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, but Bristol & it’s catchment area is a big draw to “outsiders”. Bristol is highly thought of as one of THE places to live and as such, a fair percentage of the population probably have very little affinity to either us or Rovers. 

East Anglia... who’d move their you weren’t born into the area..? 

My point is you support the club where you were brought up as a child  For instance you would not get plastic s supporting other so called big clubs  in Anglia like we do in our "gert" CITY

1 minute ago, cityred exile said:

My point is you support the club where you were brought up as a child  For instance you would not get plastic s supporting other so called big clubs  in Anglia like we do in our "gert" CITY

I’m still waiting for details of this bet...?! 

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

In all your years of supporting City when have we ever had home and away crowds that match those of the big clubs in this division?

Im talking clubs like Leeds, Sheff Weds, Derby etc?

You said we list our away support on the website but what about the other 23 teams?

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not many do. Nor do Rovers, suspiciously..!

The op stated we were 13th out of 24 teams in away support.

Silly me thought there must be a web page somewhere that lists away support.

So i ask the op to point the way to where he got his facts from.

Anything wrong with that?

3 minutes ago, bobby kellard was go said:

No nothing. I thought you were referring to the “Awaydays” section, listing away followings. We have it on our OS. Some others do, but many don’t. 

There is a site that gives average away followings across the divisions. I’m not sure what the page address is though. 

6 minutes ago, bobby kellard was go said:

According to this we are 14th, only a hundred average off being top half though

https://reeshowls.wordpress.com/2018/03/22/efl-attendances-part-5/

8 minutes ago, bobby kellard was go said:

Various sites upload attendance League tables at points during the season. Usually in my experience they’re posted most often on Twitter or Facebook by sites like ‘Awaydays’. This sort of thing...

B5D9C6B8-E94E-41F6-87A3-627DC35B712C.jpeg

8 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Various sites upload attendance League tables at points during the season. Usually in my experience they’re posted most often on Twitter or Facebook by sites like ‘Awaydays’. This sort of thing...

B5D9C6B8-E94E-41F6-87A3-627DC35B712C.jpeg

Those tables on facebook and twitter are usually stolen from the link to the site posted above.

10 hours ago, cityred exile said:

Your argument falls down  with the two East Anglia clubs   Both are mid table clubs that brought 1000 + to Ashton gate  one (Norwich ) mid week !     We take 1250 over both our visits to Anglia ! So as I quoted earlier  there is no reason why we should not be taking four figures on Friday

Norwich was on a Saturday.

10 hours ago, cityred exile said:

Fair enough. But the population of Leeds is 750k, Bristol 440k and Leeds average about 31k and between us and Rovers we average about 28k (with some in Bristol watching L1 crud). Leeds could be getting a few more, couldn't they? We can go on like this forever.

Me, I'm just content to say that over the whole season our averages home and away in a league like this with many clubs bigger than almost half PL clubs, our support is okay, and nothing to beat ourselves up about.

Indeed, I'm also saying highlighting individual away games that are our least attractive trips and then labelling our support as a whole as "piss poor" etc, is playing into the hands of alternative-reality Blue Few saddoes. It's like highlighting Man City away and insisting we are "huge" and a "big club" and should be in the Prem etc. Both are a nonsense.

We are not a club that goes anywhere, everytime in thousands, never have been, never will be; and Barnsley's never going to be a popular day out (we have played there once or twice recently). What we are, in the Championship, is a medium size fish in a big pond and I am not upset or surprised about that.

I think we are alright. Not great/massive, not sh1t/tinpot. Just alright.

@Jack Dawe  found this to help your post. Only 3 clubs average longer distance and more average support. I know that doesn't tell the whole story but add some context. Can't be bothered to do the next sums and work out the table for miles traveled to fans taken , my typing is too slow , I'll leave that to someone else.

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 09.50.27.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 10.03.02.png

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Didn't realise the distance travelled for fans was so different. Derby County about 3,500 miles over a season whereas it's over 6,000 for us. 

Give is 3,500 miles to travel in a season and who knows how much higher we'd be in terms of that away support table.

Exeter and Argyle fans must have the furthest to travel in the EFL. Them and Carlisle of course.

22 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Fair enough. But the population of Leeds is 750k, Bristol 440k and Leeds average about 31k and between us and Rovers we average about 28k (with some in Bristol watching L1 crud). Leeds could be getting a few more, couldn't they? We can go on like this forever.

Me, I'm just content to say that over the whole season our averages home and away in a league like this with many clubs bigger than almost half PL clubs, our support is okay, and nothing to beat ourselves up about.

Indeed, I'm also saying highlighting individual away games that are our least attractive trips and then labelling our support as a whole as "piss poor" etc, is playing into the hands of alternative-reality Blue Few saddoes. It's like highlighting Man City away and insisting we are "huge" and a "big club" and should be in the Prem etc. Both are a nonsense.

We are not a club that goes anywhere, everytime in thousands, never have been, never will be; and Barnsley's never going to be a popular day out (we have played there once or twice recently). What we are, in the Championship, is a medium size fish in a big pond and I am not upset or surprised about that.

I think we are alright. Not great/massive, not sh1t/tinpot. Just alright.

Great post.

Those amongst our fan base who obviously stand around in pubs on a Saturday night listening to Gasheads spout their bullshit about support won’t agree of course. However all things considered we haven’t got anything to be ashamed about. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, we are a  mid table Championship club in terms of home and away attendances. We’ve got potential to fill Ashton Gate every week in the Prem and if we had continued with our pre Christmas form I’ve got no doubt we’d be getting pretty close to full houses now.

As it is an average of 20k home and 1.2k away is around about where I think we should be as a club in our current position.

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Didn't realise the distance travelled for fans was so different. Derby County about 3,500 miles over a season whereas it's over 6,000 for us. 

Give is 3,500 miles to travel in a season and who knows how much higher we'd be in terms of that away support table.

When you think we take 3-4000 to Reading every season which is an hour and a half up the road, I’ve got no doubt that our away support figures would be higher if, like many clubs based in the Midlands, we had more trips of a similar distance.

12 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Maybe because both ipswich and Norwich are much bigger clubs than us, who have both played in Europe and have multiple years of premier league football between them. 

It will take a while before we can compete with them away crowd wise but before we do our away average is very good for the size of our club

Really? I think as we stand to-day we are at least on a par with both.

58 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Really? I think as we stand to-day we are at least on a par with both.

Ipswich have won the first division, the fa Cup, the uefa Cup and competed in the European Cup in their history, they are a much bigger club than us. 

25 years ago, Norwich were beating the likes of bayern Munich in Europe, again they are much bigger

Archived