IGNORED

Panini World Cup Stickers.. good start

SouthStand Sandwich

51 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

With ZERO duplicates it'll be just over £109.

There's no way it'd cost £600 though, only an idiot would collect them only by opening packets. You can order stickers individually from the Panini website. 

3 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

With ZERO duplicates it'll be just over £109.

There's no way it'd cost £700+ though, only an idiot would collect them only their opening packets and trying to do swaps with friends. You can order stickers individually from the Panini website. 

Or use laststicker.com - I used it pretty effectively to complete the Brazil 2014 album. 

Groupon have 100 pack (500 sticker) boxes for £65, and eBay sellers are selling individual stickers of your choice at around £2 for 10 

Not that it’s cheap still, but if you’re smart about it you should be able to complete it for pretty close to the minimum amount. 

50 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Reading this thread at lunchtime was a bad idea. I could really go for a panini now. 

Up there with some of my bigger pet peeves, such as "very unique", or using "momentarily" in the context of soon.

It is a panino, or 2 or more panini.

Common usage does not make "a panini" or "some paninis" any more acceptable to me.

As you were.

3 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Up there with some of my bigger pet peeves, such as "very unique", or using "momentarily" in the context of soon.

It is a panino, or 2 or more panini.

Common usage does not make "a panini" or "some paninis" any more acceptable to me.

As you were.

The place I get them from cut them in half before serving and thus converted from panino to panini by the time I receive it ;) 

However I do apologise for my unacceptable faux pas! I shall correct it momentarily!

• Admin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43566749

Filling this year's Panini World Cup sticker book costs £773.60, twice the cost for Euro 2016, according to maths expert Prof Paul Harper.

The pages contain 32 squads of players, plus managers, stadiums and World Cup legends, totalling 682 stickers.

A pack of five stickers has risen from 50p to 80p - a 60% increase.

If you buy 137 packets and never get the same sticker twice, it will cost £109.60, but this is "extremely unlikely", says the professor.

Prof Harper, from Cardiff University's School of Mathematics, worked out a formula to include the least probable number of duplicate stickers.

In the end, he demonstrated that on average you would need to buy 4,832 stickers - or 967 packets - to complete the Italian-made book.

Sticking point

One cost-saving measure is swapping stickers between friends, but even with that tactic, filling the album would be expensive.

With 10 friends swapping, it could still cost them an average of £247 each to complete the album, according to the professor's calculations.

In a statement, Panini said: "If you have difficulty swapping, you can send off to Panini for your missing stickers."

"The theoretical cost calculated by the academics assumes that the collector is in a bubble with no one to swap with or no access to the internet to send off to our missing stickers service."

In 2016, he made the same calculations for the 680-space Euro sticker book. It was £374, meaning the cost has more than doubled.

While the Euro competition only had 24 squads - fewer than the World Cup - there were only two fewer stickers in the book printed two years ago.

"I can still recall the joy of finally completing my first Panini album as a young boy for the 1982 World Cup in Spain," said Prof Harper.

"Filling an album has become progressively more expensive over the years since then, not just because there are typically more teams competing now, but because Panini have become more creative about allocating spaces."

Archived