IGNORED

Stewarding at AG could be worse...What is football coming to??

Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Exactly. Hypocrisy. 

If I headbutt someone in a 5-a-side tournament at the local leisure centre they'd be more than interested in interviewing me. 

As stated if the headbutt is within the immediacy of the ball then no I wouldn’t be interested in interviewing you! 

I would only be interested in knocking your door  if the player you head butted then subsequently made a complaint and there is evidence to prove it was not related to a tackle etc 

Julie. I think the question is, 

if someone clearly headbutts someone in the stands, In clear view of you. Then they would end up in court and I imagine banned?

if a player clearly headbutts another player in front of you, would the same happen or would that end up if the other player presses charges?

2 minutes ago, JulieH said:

I have been involved in other incidents off the pitch where players etc have been dealt with by police for incidents in tunnel area etc. This are dealt with in exactly the same way , offender interviewed and decision made to deal with by charge/ caution etc. These decisions are no different to any other member of the public being dealt with . 

On  pitch as you say is slightly more difficult. Within the eyes of the law any assault that takes place as a result of a tackle etc is not an offence. This makes sense if you think about it as some injuries are serious and gbh charge would be appropriate! 

The difficulty comes if it is outside of a tackle or the immediacy of the ball, the fa will receive a report from Match offcials normally and it tends to be on recommendations from that.

i have massively simplified the law but hopefully the gist of it is here. 

We also as a police service react to foul language from the dug outs and again there have been occasions that we have spoken to match offcials at half time to ensure the manager/ coach is aware of our concerns. No different to giving a fan a little tap on the shoulder!! This always so far has the desired effect!! 

Thanks for the response Julie...and as you say, the 'difficulty' comes when GBH comes outside of the tackle etc. Imo...if someone headbutts or chins someone, as an act, and not in any way part of the game, as in a tackle, or elbow, then the player should be dealt with like any other member of the public. But it's not up to me :laugh:

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Thanks for the response Julie...and as you say, the 'difficulty' comes when GBH comes outside of the tackle etc. Imo...if someone headbutts or chins someone, as an act, and not in any way part of the game, as in a tackle, or elbow, then the player should be dealt with like any other member of the public. But it's not up to me :laugh:

We don’t get that many complaints of this nature to be honest, I have dealt with 2in 28 years of policing , both from 5a side Male tournaments  one was a head butt and another a punch. Both charged to court and pleaded guilty . No prison sentences and fines. 

6 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Julie. I think the question is, 

if someone clearly headbutts someone in the stands, In clear view of you. Then they would end up in court and I imagine banned?

if a player clearly headbutts another player in front of you, would the same happen or would that end up if the other player presses charges?

My view is that if it is not within the immediacy of the ball and has intent I would want to speak to both players at the end of the match to establish the facts . 

11 minutes ago, JulieH said:

As stated if the headbutt is within the immediacy of the ball then no I wouldn’t be interested in interviewing you! 

I would only be interested in knocking your door  if the player you head butted then subsequently made a complaint and there is evidence to prove it was not related to a tackle etc 

So we're saying a crime isn't a crime without a complaint from the victim? You can see why offenders invest their time in the art of intimidation.

The law is an ass (for which you aren't responsible). 

1 minute ago, Red white and red said:

Why oh why does every thread turn into a question and answer and then a berating session of the police! :facepalm:

It’s international break, boredom has struck and A certain centre forward isn’t around ! 

7 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

Why oh why does every thread turn into a question and answer and then a berating session of the police! :facepalm:

Law and order is a key issue for football fans. 

Many think the police do a good job. Many think they do a poor job.

The police are chronically underfunded so have to cut corners and make unpopular decisions. 

Justice is a mixed bag. Not a one-size for all. 

This is a forum. 

Tbh I’ve found over the years it more down to the officer on what happens, the last officer I had deals with was an insensitive person & more interested in trying to do me I really disliked them & wish all the ills of the world on them.

the person before that was spot on & before that was ok but years before I had a few bad 1’s who should’ve been sacked.

2 hours ago, JulieH said:

i have massively simplified the law but hopefully the gist of it is here. 

We also as a police service react to foul language from the dug outs and again there have been occasions that we have spoken to match offcials at half time to ensure the manager/ coach is aware of our concerns. No different to giving a fan a little tap on the shoulder!! This always so far has the desired effect!! 

By far the best solution, and I am sure there are many amongst us who would now have a criminal record were it not for the 'understanding' of the friendly copper.

2 hours ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

Tbh I’ve found over the years it more down to the officer on what happens, the last officer I had deals with was an insensitive person & more interested in trying to do me I really disliked them & wish all the ills of the world on them.

the person before that was spot on & before that was ok but years before I had a few bad 1’s who should’ve been sacked.

You seem to have had lots of dealings with the police.....are you sure they're the problem........?  The only time I've been approached by a copper in my 40 years on this planet and 35 years at football was when I was pulled over driving because I looked vaguely similar to someone they were after!

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

You seem to have had lots of dealings with the police.....are you sure they're the problem........?  The only time I've been approached by a copper in my 40 years on this planet and 35 years at football was when I was pulled over driving because I looked vaguely similar to someone they were after!

Keeps them in job :laugh:.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

My father, recently deceased, was 'pulled over' when in his 70s as a 'copper' in the Police car that pulled up behind him at the traffic lights (at around 23H00) thought 'one of his rear tyres might be bald'.

Following an explanation as to the reason (suspected bald tyre) he had been 'pulled over', and an 'Oh so embarrassing' effort to smell my father's (alcohol free) breath, it was only when my father reminded him why he had been stopped that said 'copper' got down on his hands and knees, 'inspected' the rear tyres and gave my father the all clear to continue his journey.  

Perhaps @JulieH can explain *, but why can't the UK Police do as they do in France and position themselves outside bars/restaurants/discotheques to 'control' drivers they suspect (quite reasonably) may have been drinking?

I drive some 30K annually and, as might be expected, am stopped quite frequently.

Without fail, I am greeted politely, usually with a salute, and asked to produce my papers and advise whether I have been drinking: the inevitable breath test always proves negative, I am thanked for my time and wished 'Bon Voyage' - and the world carries on with a smile and satisfaction that the Police are doing their best do prevent accidents due to drink driving.

* I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that, due to lobbying from the LVA/PGB, random breathalyser tests are not allowed?      

31 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My father, recently deceased, was 'pulled over' when in his 70s as a 'copper' in the Police car that pulled up behind him at the traffic lights (at around 23H00) thought 'one of his rear tyres might be bald'.

Following an explanation as to the reason (suspected bald tyre) he had been 'pulled over', and an 'Oh so embarrassing' effort to smell my father's (alcohol free) breath, it was only when my father reminded him why he had been stopped that said 'copper' got down on his hands and knees, 'inspected' the rear tyres and gave my father the all clear to continue his journey.  

Perhaps @JulieH can explain *, but why can't the UK Police do as they do in France and position themselves outside bars/restaurants/discotheques to 'control' drivers they suspect (quite reasonably) may have been drinking?

I drive some 30K annually and, as might be expected, am stopped quite frequently.

Without fail, I am greeted politely, usually with a salute, and asked to produce my papers and advise whether I have been drinking: the inevitable breath test always proves negative, I am thanked for my time and wished 'Bon Voyage' - and the world carries on with a smile and satisfaction that the Police are doing their best do prevent accidents due to drink driving.

* I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that, due to lobbying from the LVA/PGB, random breathalyser tests are not allowed?      

I-was-pissing-by-the-door-when-I-heard-two-shats.-You-are-holding-in-your-hand-a-smoking-goon-you-are-clearly-the-guilty-potty.jpg

7 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Yes that is correct .

hence trying to smell breath, looking into glazed eyes, or seeing a wobbly walk. 

You are correct though it does seem odd that the legislation has not been updated to allow random breath tests. I am sure in time it will be.

however it is very obvious if a person has had a drink so not sure that many people are  getting away with it once they are stopped . 

10 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Still sticking to that story then? :shifty:

14 hours ago, JulieH said:

Yes that is correct .

hence trying to smell breath, looking into glazed eyes, or seeing a wobbly walk. 

You are correct though it does seem odd that the legislation has not been updated to allow random breath tests. I am sure in time it will be.

however it is very obvious if a person has had a drink so not sure that many people are  getting away with it once they are stopped . 

But not until, firstly, the driver has been stoppped.

Archived