IGNORED

The Atyeo - ticket suggestion

Bar BS3

43 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They are being replaced...fans are being priced out, but similar numbers and more- who have more disposable income- are taking their place.

Obviously this isn't the same at all clubs, may well vary on a club-by-club basis but it's definitely true that people are getting priced out. I definitely think a % of working class supporters have been priced out in the last 15, 20, 30 years for sure! Perhaps younger supporters also to some extent, and a combination of these 2 things- as well as the abolition of terracing and no scope yet for safe-standing, has helped kill the atmosphere in England in general.

Overall numbers may well be rising...but plenty who could afford it who now can't IMO. It's clear supporters are being priced out- and the higher you go, the more prevalent it gets. One thing I would add- our fanbase is no different to any other, not these days.

Do people aren’t being priced out..! If enough people are coming, it doesn’t matter if they are new or older supporters. 

Just now you were saying our average support age is too high and now it’s not good for supporters to be new..?!

If your older mates feel priced out, compared to what they were used to paying, that’s a shame, but don’t cars, houses, concerts, cinema, theatre, food, beer, fags all cost more than they used too..?

It looks like there’s an element of the support base that seem determined to moan for some reason and “price” seems like the obvious one. 

At the end of the day, if football clubs can increase ticket sales by increasing facility quality and ticket prices, then who’s got it wrong..? The clubs, or the bloke sat their moaning about it..? Who in reality probably isn’t wanting to go anymore but just prefers to moan about the price, rather than prioritise it over his other outgoings. 

I have to add.. who’s actually been “priced out” for next season..? Priced out means you can’t afford to go. 

People could move to other seats, they could spend less on optional extras... so who is actually in a position (other than change of circumstances) where they can’t afford an extra £1/£2 per game..? There are no increases in some areas and reductions in others. 

I don’t actually buy the whole “I’ve been priced out” stance. It’s more a case of “I don’t want to pay it” in which case, that’s their right, but very different than the club pricing out people who DO want to go. 

30 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

Give 500+ tickets to the local schools get the kids and teachers hooked on live football and spending at the ground too. 

I’d always be fully supportive of schemes like this. A block of the Upper Lansdown for every league game and then those attend also get a discount ticket for them to come back to one more game themselves. One school per game, different school each time. 

22 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’d always be fully supportive of schemes like this. A block of the Upper Lansdown for every league game and then those attend also get a discount ticket for them to come back to one more game themselves. One school per game, different school each time. 

Very good idea

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I agree with your points about aging fan base, but child prices are one area that pricing is generally very good. Even after the increases! which ARE optional.

I would say the single biggest factor, like most things that aren’t so good about football these days, is the SKY TV culture. 

People 40yrs plus went to football, if they liked it. People under 25/30 just turn the telly on for it. THAT is the biggest difference and also why prices go up..!

One thing alone is largely responsible for changing football, whether you see those changes as good OR bad - it’s because of SKY TV and their insistence on footballbeing a TV show, rather than “real” or a community thing.

The biggest factor is more and more employers are opening on Saturdays, when you’re young and just starting a job you get the crap shifts meaning weekends are no longer football and cider filled fun days! 

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I suppose it depends IF there actually IS a problem with people being priced out, or if it’s a storm in a teacup, created by a few people on here..?

I’ve based the idea on what seems a commonly voiced issue on here. That certainly doesn’t confirm that it’s an issue in reality, I agree. 

I guess we won’t know until season ticket renewal numbers are released. 

A significant drop would suggest that a solution such as this MIGHT be popular and needed. Anywhere within 5-10% of last season’s comparable sales and no, it’s probably not worth it and the big problems suggested on here are not actually much of a reality for many. 

We shall see, but I think it could/should be considered - if only to attract people who can’t afford a ST generally, let alone renew one. 

I know a number of people who do not attend a single league game a season because they can not justify potd prices and can not commit to a season ticket, at their current rate.

Your suggestion would hit the spot  perfectly for that particular supporter.

Saw this online earlier...

ticketprices.jpg

NOW! I am not going to pretend that it's fully representative- I know about inflation and the like, but want to know what it would be like in today's money? Use a variety of inflation calculators- this was 1980/81 season I believe.

To give just one example using an inflation calculator. If this was the same rate now as then, then an Arsenal- still amongst the most expensive ST's by the way- would cost £404.88 today! Matchday ticket to SIT £14.46, to stand £8.68.

Whether people think that people have been priced out or not, I'd argue it's a lot less accessible to those on low and in some expensive places, low to lower-middle incomes. Less inclusive also. (I think people have been priced out tbh).

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

ticketprices.jpg

NOW! I am not going to pretend that it's fully representative- I know about inflation and the like, but want to know what it would be like in today's money? Use a variety of inflation calculators- this was 1980/81 season I believe.

To give just one example using an inflation calculator. If this was the same rate now as then, then an Arsenal- still amongst the most expensive ST's by the way- would cost £404.88 today! Matchday ticket to SIT £14.46, to stand £8.68.

Whether people think that people have been priced out or not, I'd argue it's a lot less accessible to those on low and in some expensive places, low to lower-middle incomes. Less inclusive also. (I think people have been priced out tbh).

That is totally and utterly incredible.!! I can’t remember the last time I saw anything like that..! 

Rovers in the same division as us...?! :blink:

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

ticketprices.jpg

But can it be worked by “inflation”..?

See if you can find similar comparisons for house prices, cinema tickets, gallon of petrol, pint of beer and see how it stacks up against those. 

Average wage in 1980 was £6000 

the supposed average wage in 2015 was £27600

season ticket in the above photo was £48. 0.8% of the average salary 

A season ticket in the south stand is £345, 1.25% of the national average wage.

That means, going on 2015 wages, in 25 years football has gone up 0.45% in line with the average wage.

That doesn’t really seem like pricing people out to me really. 

5 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Average wage in 1980 was £6000 

the supposed average wage in 2015 was £27600

season ticket in the above photo was £48. 0.8% of the average salary 

A season ticket in the south stand is £345, 1.25% of the national average wage.

That means, going on 2015 wages, in 25 years football has gone up 0.45% in line with the average wage.

That doesn’t really seem like pricing people out to me really. 

Also need to take into account the money invested in facilities. I don’t mean for it to be repaid, but it costs more to get the same journey in a Limo than it does with Uber, for instance. 

In the 80’s, as fun as it was, going to football was actually quite dangerous, unlike now. 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Also need to take into account the money invested in facilities. I don’t mean for it to be repaid, but it costs more to get the same journey in a Limo than it does with Uber, for instance. 

In the 80’s, as fun as it was, going to football was actually quite dangerous, unlike now. 

I think it’s more life has gone up more not just football. A pint of beer in 1980 on those wages was 0.005% of your wage.

a pint of beer now on 2015 wages is 0.01%. 

So the price of beer has basically doubled. 

Don't have time to debate this in depth at this time, but long story short it's gone up quicker than the rate of inflation.  Mind you, so have plenty of things.

Older relatives tell me the cost of football back in the past- 80's, maybe 60's, used to cost akin to a trip the cinema. Don't know if it's true and if it specified terraces or other areas- but according to one site, it was 141.58pence in 1980. Genuinely, was not so different to a POTD terrace ticket.

The main issue is I guess, most fans don't see it as a priority and like to obfuscate on it. That's the modern game, isn't it.

Incidentally, £195.68 for a season ticket at City if we applied 1980 prices to today, weighted with inflation.

One thing that was notable- and it's clearly not a priority for your modern supporter- but one interesting thing is that at a few of those clubs on that list, buying a Season ticket would cost MORE than if you went to every game POTD. Arsenal and Villa 2 examples, based on a quick skim- but there may have been more.

The club had already tried this season, I can't remember who it was but as they brought few away fans the old s82 corner was made pay on the day, sadly only about 3 city fans took the chance to go in there which is probably why most seam to have not noticed it happened, 

I would think that's why the club have not done it again as must have lost money opening it, I would say it was not well publicised as seams to have been a decision made on the morning of the game, 

36 minutes ago, winsaw said:

The club had already tried this season, I can't remember who it was but as they brought few away fans the old s82 corner was made pay on the day, sadly only about 3 city fans took the chance to go in there which is probably why most seam to have not noticed it happened, 

I would think that's why the club have not done it again as must have lost money opening it, I would say it was not well publicised as seams to have been a decision made on the morning of the game, 

I don’t think opening it a couple of hours before and charging £30? POTD is anything like what is being suggested. 

Archived