IGNORED

Football Italia documentary

One Team In Keynsham

Spotted a reference to this on another forum (and apologies if a duplicate post): this coming Saturday night, BT Sport 2 has a documentary on Footbal ltalia:

http://sport.bt.com/football/bt-sport-films-explores-golden-era-of-italian-football-in-the-uk-during-the-1990s-S11364258138950

Should be worth a look.

It was great to watch some of those Italian teams in the 1990's, it was definitely a golden era, not only was it a golden era in Italy domestically, but one that was also very successful for Holland domestically, especially great were the Champions league back to back winners AJAX, the football they played was breathtaking.

28 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

It was great to watch some of those Italian teams in the 1990's, it was definitely a golden era, not only was it a golden era in Italy domestically, but one that was also very successful for Holland domestically, especially great were the Champions league back to back winners AJAX, the football they played was breathtaking.

Ajax appeared in back to back finals, but only won the once in that era: the 1995 win v a great Milan line-up (which included lot of the team that destroyed Barcelona the previous year). That said, Ajax were brilliant, no question about that.

13 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Ajax appeared in back to back finals, but only won the once in that era: the 1995 win v a great Milan line-up (which included lot of the team that destroyed Barcelona the previous year). That said, Ajax were brilliant, no question about that.

My bad they won it in 71,72,73, 3 in a row, even better than I first thought.

71-73 was the total football Ajax era.

However '95 they beat a very strong Milan, and got to '96 final.

Bosman...killed ability of Ajax and similar sides to compete properly at the highest levels. Or wrecked their chance to build something again, as a side begins to break up just as it is young and promising. A chance to grow together, gain experience together and over time, become a force to be reckoned with.

Good times...the C4 series and Gazza going to Lazio got me completely hooked on Italian football.

I used to even get the Football Italia magazine weekly...Calcio Italia now. Was soooo in to it.

Spent many a weekend following Lazio and visiting other grounds around Italy.

With the advent of cheap air fares, it was often cheaper to watch football in Italy and have a fun weekend than watching back in blighty.

I remember getting on a plane back to the UK and it was full of Brits doing the same thing every other week.

One girl I sat next to on the plane was even a season ticket holder at Juve....she lived in Yate, and went to nearly every home game a few away. We had both been to see Juve v Atalanta, it was Zidane's last game for Juve. Everyone got on the pitch after the game, and she had dug up the penalty spot and had it in her handbag :laugh:

Witnessed some fantastic footballers playing over the years.

Worth going just to see the difference to how it is here.

28 minutes ago, RedJim said:

Absolutely loved Football Italia. I was about 6-10 when it was on and just getting into football in a big way. Fiorentina and Parma were my favourites from that era. Will definitely be watching this!

Parma had some brilliant players. In the 90s I think Italian Football was absilhtely streets ahead of anything The Premier League had.

The AC Milan team in that era was something else, remember them hammering a Barcelona team including Romario and Stoichkov 4-0 in a Champions League final, 1994 I think it was. Also Sampdoria were a very useful team with David Platt and Ruud Gullit two big names.

Football Italia was one of the first things that got me hooked on football, and lead to me following/supporting (City will always be no1) Juventus. I remember a debut from a youngster who came on at halftime to play wide left with Ravenelli and Vialli, and obviously that was Del Piero. It’s sad to see the demise of Italian Football but I think that’s a combination of more money going into English League, and so many Italian teams having less revenue due to not owning own stadiums. That’s why Juve are so ahead of everyone else and should remain for next few years. 

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

71-73 was the total football Ajax era.

However '95 they beat a very strong Milan, and got to '96 final.

Bosman...killed ability of Ajax and similar sides to compete properly at the highest levels. Or wrecked their chance to build something again, as a side begins to break up just as it is young and promising. A chance to grow together, gain experience together and over time, become a force to be reckoned with.

The 95 Ajax team was phenomenal:

GK 1 Netherlands Edwin van der Sar
RB 2 Netherlands Michael Reiziger
CB 3 Netherlands Danny Blind (c) YC 44'
DM 4 Netherlands Frank Rijkaard
LB 5 Netherlands Frank de Boer
RM 6 Netherlands Clarence Seedorf   Substituted off 53'
RF 7 Nigeria Finidi George
LM 8 Netherlands Edgar Davids
CF 9 Netherlands Ronald de Boer
AM 10 Finland Jari Litmanen   Substituted off 70'
LF 11 Netherlands Marc Overmars YC 33'
Substitutions:
GK 12 Netherlands Fred Grim
DF 13 Netherlands Winston Bogarde
FW 14 Nigeria Nwankwo Kanu   Substituted in 53'
FW 15 Netherlands Patrick Kluivert   Substituted in 70'
FW 16 Netherlands Peter van Vossen

Absolutely loved Football Italia, used to watch it every weekend (was on Sunday's a lot from what I remember). I recall singer Elvis Costello presenting it a few times when AC Milan were playing. Was a golden era of Italian and terrestrial TV football.

Personal favorites were Lazio due to Gazza. Still vividly remember his goal against Roma in the derby - the scenes of celebration were epic. 

Also had a soft spot for Parma - very sad to see what has happened to a once great club.

45 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Where else do you see the love and passion for the game expressed through the beautiful act of releasing a vespa scooter off the third tier onto the away fans below?

Ah yes, The Holy Vespa...

Every credit to whomever sneaked it into the San Siro stuffed under his or her jumper.

13 hours ago, Dingbat said:

James Richardson was on the 'Quckly Kevin' podcast recently talking about his time, and how he got the job, on Football Italia. Worth a listen if you were a fan of the show.

Definely worth a listen - was gojng to suggest the same before seeing your post

On 27/03/2018 at 08:34, spudski said:

Good times...the C4 series and Gazza going to Lazio got me completely hooked on Italian football.

I used to even get the Football Italia magazine weekly...Calcio Italia now. Was soooo in to it.

Spent many a weekend following Lazio and visiting other grounds around Italy.

With the advent of cheap air fares, it was often cheaper to watch football in Italy and have a fun weekend than watching back in blighty.

I remember getting on a plane back to the UK and it was full of Brits doing the same thing every other week.

One girl I sat next to on the plane was even a season ticket holder at Juve....she lived in Yate, and went to nearly every home game a few away. We had both been to see Juve v Atalanta, it was Zidane's last game for Juve. Everyone got on the pitch after the game, and she had dug up the penalty spot and had it in her handbag :laugh:

Witnessed some fantastic footballers playing over the years.

Worth going just to see the difference to how it is here.

1998/1999 season was in Florence to watch Fiorentina vs AC Milan . 0 0 but quality all over the field . Batistuta went off injured . Night before game was in hotel bar and the AC M team were staying there . Spoke to George Weah , and Oliver Bierhoff and Maldini took time out for photos . Noticeablely polite and welcoming a chat about the game etc . Great memory was that  and a credit to their club they were . 

7 minutes ago, Redstreet said:

1998/1999 season was in Florence to watch Fiorentina vs AC Milan . 0 0 but quality all over the field . Batistuta went off injured . Night before game was in hotel bar and the AC M team were staying there . Spoke to George Weah , and Oliver Bierhoff and Maldini took time out for photos . Noticeablely polite and welcoming a chat about the game etc . Great memory was that  and a credit to their club they were . 

There's a series on Neflix at the moment all about the day to day running and activity of Juventus. It shows how everything works. What's noticeable is how much more interaction the players and staff have daily with fans. Training is watched by many hundreds. It's been like that in Italy for many clubs for as long as I can remember. So much more pressure on the players as they are watched by public and press 24/7.  It's worth a watch as it shows so much.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

There's a series on Neflix at the moment all about the day to day running and activity of Juventus. It shows how everything works. What's noticeable is how much more interaction the players and staff have daily with fans. Training is watched by many hundreds. It's been like that in Italy for many clubs for as long as I can remember. So much more pressure on the players as they are watched by public and press 24/7.  It's worth a watch as it shows so much.

Sounds good . Thanks for the  shout mate .The very high quality of Italian defending has IMO never been fully appreciated by UK pundits . The defensive skills tend to be presented as negative , cynical “ bad for the beautiful game “ . I saw Roma vs Juve in 2000 . It was 0 0 but the quality of defending in particular by Juve was so impressive . Very recently , Chiellini in the second leg against Spurs was immense . I doubt we have a defender of a similar ability . 

I know it was only a friendly last night but I thought Bonucci  showed class as usual . 

Football Italia was a great programme 

14 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Saw Milan v Juve in about 2005. Buffon, Maldini, Del Piero, Shevchenko, Davids,  Cannavaro, Trezuguet and my favourite player ever, the legend that was Pavel Nedved all played.

Went over for Juventus v Inter in 1998 at the Stadio delle Alpi: just had a check of the line-ups. Some names in there:

Inter: 1 Pagliuca, 24 Sartor (46' 7 Fresi, 80' 33 Colonnese), 2 Bergomi, 5 Galante, 16 West, 17 Moriero, 4 J. Zanetti, 14 Simeone (88' 13 Zè Elias), 15 Cauet, 6 Djorkaeff, 10 Ronaldo.

Juventus: 1 Peruzzi, 15 Birindelli, 2 Ferrara, 4 Montero, 13 Iuliano (57' 7 Di Livio), 3 Torricelli, 8 Conte (68' 20 Tacchinardi), 26 Davids, 21 Zidane (57' 18 Fonseca), 9 Inzaghi, 10 Del Piero

11 hours ago, Redstreet said:

Sounds good . Thanks for the  shout mate .The very high quality of Italian defending has IMO never been fully appreciated by UK pundits . The defensive skills tend to be presented as negative , cynical “ bad for the beautiful game “ . I saw Roma vs Juve in 2000 . It was 0 0 but the quality of defending in particular by Juve was so impressive . Very recently , Chiellini in the second leg against Spurs was immense . I doubt we have a defender of a similar ability . 

I know it was only a friendly last night but I thought Bonucci  showed class as usual . 

Football Italia was a great programme 

Italy has had more great defenders than any other country.

Here's 20 just for starters:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/984031-world-football-top-20-italian-defenders-of-all-time

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Italy has had more great defenders than any other country.

Here's 20 just for starters:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/984031-world-football-top-20-italian-defenders-of-all-time

Some great names in there. That top five, all just amazing players. Baresi was my out and out favourite back in the day - he just made it all look so easy.

Archived