IGNORED

Fans Funding Fans of the Future

Blagdon red

• SC&T Board Members

As mentioned previously (and now on the SC&T website here) ...

Fans Funding Fans of the Future

On 28 February, Bristol City stunned fans with an out-of-the-blue announcement of some huge increases in season ticket prices. Hardest hit were our fans of the future. For kids in the Lower Lansdown there was no longer to be any concession prices. And buying the cheapest adult ticket instead represented an increase of over 500%. Parents faced an ultimatum: pay up or move out!

The disabled and pensioners were also hit with unexpected, eye-watering increases.

After the Supporters Club & Trust’s intervention, Under-12 and Under-19 price categories were restored in the Lower Lansdown, albeit with an increase of nearly 100%. Thanks to the SC&T and FAN, it was also subsequently agreed that the increase for disabled fans would be phased in across three years. For pensioners, however, there was no help. It was cough up, relocate or stop coming!

In light of all this, we at the SC&T announced that we would be setting up a fund to help fans hardest hit by the increases. Sadly we don’t have the resources to help everyone, so we said we would focus on fans of the future: the kids that the club had done so well over recent years to attract and that it was now at risk of losing through doubling the cost for their parents of bringing them to watch City with established groups of family and friends at Ashton Gate.

So, we said we would set up a “Fans Funding Fans of the Future” scheme and we’re pleased today to announce that this is now up and running.

We had hoped that Bristol Sport’s ticketing department might help us to administer this. Or even just provide us with details of the number of kids affected by the 99% increase, so that we could tailor our scheme accordingly. Unfortunately we were told that Bristol Sport “won’t be able to help facilitate this” and nor would they tell us how many kids were involved.

Despite being denied any guidance on numbers or any logistical assistance, we are pushing ahead, as we are keen that the 99% price rise doesn’t prevent any young fan from coming to The Gate and remaining a part of the group of family and/or friends with whom they have sat to date.

Any adult finding it a real stretch to pay nearly double the previous rate for an under-twelve’s season ticket for 2018/19 in the Dolman or Lower Lansdown may now therefore apply to the SC&T for a gift of £49 to cover the increase.

The “Fans Funding Fans of the Future” scheme is launching with an initial pot of £2,500 from SC&T funds. Fellow fans wishing to help us with this scheme are invited to chip in here to help top this up. Any funds left over when the scheme closes will be put towards our second initiative for fans of the future, via which we aim to buy a group of season tickets and offer them on a match-by-match basis for birthday parties and other children’s outings.

Fans Funding Fans of the Future – Application process

• Renew the £50 child season ticket at the increased price of £99
  • Forward your order confirmation e-mail to info@bristolcitysupporters.org
  • Attach to the mail a photo of the child’s 2017/18 season card
  • Look forward to receiving our £49 gift to you

Our fund is limited, so please let fans who are feeling the pinch most benefit from the modest assistance we can provide. If you can manage without our help, please do.

The scheme will remain open until midnight on 8 April. All applications will be processed confidentially. We will confirm receipt and acceptance of your application (at the absolute discretion of the SC&T board) within 24 hours and discuss with you the most convenient way to send you the money. Your e-mail address must match that on the order confirmation. Maximum 2 x £49 gifts per applicant/family. If/when funds are exhausted, we will announce this without delay.

Donations to help top up the fund can be made here.

• SC&T Board Members
2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Great scheme so I've just chucked a little something into the pot. 

Incredibly poor show from Bristol Sport to not even try to be helpful.

Thanks - just seen that come through. Cheers!

Brilliant work. I have renewed my son’s ticket in the Dolman but am lucky enough to be able to afford to pay the extra - I hope that only those genuinely in need avail themselves of this fund and that we can - this way - ensure that no one need miss out on football at AG. 

In addition to my monthly SCAT subs I shall make a small donation to to the fund to try and help others keep family traditions alive by supporting City from your traditional area of the ground, not be herded into a sterile and frankly unsuitable area where you know no-one. 

COYR

• SC&T Board Members
6 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Brilliant work. I have renewed my son’s ticket in the Dolman but am lucky enough to be able to afford to pay the extra - I hope that only those genuinely in need avail themselves of this fund and that we can - this way - ensure that no one need miss out on football at AG. 

In addition to my monthly SCAT subs I shall make a small donation to to the fund to try and help others keep family traditions alive by supporting City from your traditional area of the ground, not be herded into a sterile and frankly unsuitable area where you know no-one. 

COYR

Thanks - also duly received.

Well done, Jon. A fantastic and well thought-out initiative.

As for the 'Bristol Sport ticketing department' refusing to assist, that is really shameful.

Mark Ashton is chief football administrator at the club - this is on your head, Mark, and frankly you should be ashamed and embarrassed that the club's own supporters are having to dip into their own pockets to help others.

Indeed, I assume it is that shame and embarrassment you feel being the reason Bristol Sport are not providing any assistance whatsoever with this process.

I remain flabbergasted at the actions of some at the club over this ticketing issue. If this is a sign of things to come then be assured MARK; season ticket sales, ticketing sales, and expenditure in the ground WILL drop. And your bosses won't be too happy about that, trust me...

So I'm slightly torn on this issue as it still does not solve the bigger issue of the club increasing ticket prices. However! This is a very clear indication that there is still a desire for community in BCFC, and that gives me great hope for the future, that all is not lost.

I'll donate later when I can. 

P.S Bristol Sport and Bristol City have let themselves down again by not assisting at all. 

• SC&T Board Members
3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Given that under a technicality tickets aren't transferable, have the club agreed that should SCAT be in a position to purchase a group of tickets to gift as part of phase two of this initiative they will allow them to be used?

It has not been discussed with them yet. But hopefully they will not stand in the way of this. They do, of course, already permit upgrading of tickets, which is a transfer from one person to another, so it would not be something completely outside of their existing rules.

Just now, Blagdon red said:

It has not been discussed with them yet. But hopefully they will not stand in the way of this. They do, of course, already permit upgrading of tickets, which is a transfer from one person to another, so it would not be something completely outside of their existing rules.

It would also be a PR disaster for them to refuse.

• Admin
27 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

@Blagdon red well done all for getting this off the ground. I have to say it’s utterly shameful that Bristol Sport were unable to assist even with the numbers involved. They really don’t help themselves do they. 

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO is there any rationale behind the club not assisting? 

I agree 100% with you @CyderInACan but can only assume it is all down to "Data Protection" about giving specifics, but to not provide numbers says to me they don't actually know !

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

I agree 100% with you @CyderInACan but can only assume it is all down to "Data Protection" about giving specifics, but to not provide numbers says to me they don't actually know !

That just cannot be true - the hard fact of the matter I would suggest is that the club cannot be bothered. I agree that DP Rules would prevent disclosure of names/addresses etc etc but to simply say "last year we sold 2000" children's tickets would break no rules at all. 

They obviously just don;t care. 

17 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

That just cannot be true - the hard fact of the matter I would suggest is that the club cannot be bothered. I agree that DP Rules would prevent disclosure of names/addresses etc etc but to simply say "last year we sold 2000" children's tickets would break no rules at all. 

This. There is nothing personally identifying stopping the club from issuing a figure.

14 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Looking at the on line site most of the tickets made available in W2 have been sold (first 6 rows I believe), but very few sold in W1.

I reckon about 150 tickets have been sold in the new family area.

we have moved due to cost, and I can assure Bristol Sport (should they ever read this ) that I will not spend a single penny inside the stadium or outside from the food and drink outlets around the ground, any money I save can go towards next seasons inevitable further price rises.

Brilliant initiative! Well done to those involved :clap:

Never mind Bristol Sport giving details of numbers, as general assistance to such a scheme that benefits them - they should be matching whatever funds get donated to this pot. 

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Me or the club!?

Certainly the latter. If they offered assistance that would be admitting there is an issue of their causing leaving their own fan-base in hardship.

The obvious comment if they helped would be why can’t you help more and reduce prices and we are back where they don’t want to be.

Sad really : I think we were near the point where the fans really felt part of their club and we have gone backwards years in the space of a couple of weeks.

Bizarre behaviour - on their part, not yours :P

3 minutes ago, Neo said:

Certainly the latter. If they offered assistance that would be admitting there is an issue of their causing leaving their own fan-base in hardship.

The obvious comment if they helped would be why can’t you help more and reduce prices and we are back where they don’t want to be.

Sad really : I think we were near the point where the fans really felt part of their club and we have gone backwards years in the space of a couple of weeks.

Bizarre behaviour - on their part, not yours :P

Agreed on all counts. I renewed yesterday more out of habit than excitement or expectation - the club have handled this so badly that I almost felt guilty for doing so. I f it was just about the 90mins (or 80, seeing as I'm in the Dolman) I probably wouldn't bother, but on the basis that the football in itself is only part of what I do it would be a shame to lose that extra part of it. 

I've just put a small donation in pot.

Excellent idea and scheme.

I've moved from central dolman to family area and have two kids u12 and have fallen victim of the 98% pay increase and £68 increase on my ticket so choose to move to W2 as can't justify or afford the extra £168.

For me this is what the Sc& trust should be all about.

• SC&T Board Members
18 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I've just put a small donation in pot.

Excellent idea and scheme.

I've moved from central dolman to family area and have two kids u12 and have fallen victim of the 98% pay increase and £68 increase on my ticket so choose to move to W2 as can't justify or afford the extra £168.

For me this is what the Sc& trust should be all about.

Cheers!

Archived