IGNORED

Marvin Brown - back as a coach

Bristol Rob

12 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

....and from that same publication

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11321508/Man-with-two-penises-writes-tell-all

though i don't why this characters so pleased about....Dopey Darrell has got eleven !

This thread makes my eyes ache...how people can diss this appointment, based on the fact that he didn't do it as a player at this level, just shows how thick some people are.

Wonder if they think the same about managers and coach's who were world class as players, yet absolutely hopeless as managers.

Go figure how peoples minds work.

Who'd want to be a manager or coach when certain fans are so stupid.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Bobby Reid mentioned in his interview with Neil Maggs that Cameron was his best mate and was at City for “a short time” and that in his opinion “he was the best of the three”.

So Ronald McDonald has basically copied that bit.

Pretty sure the bit about him being our youngest ever player is wrong, too..

Just seen Cameron is now at Paulton

1 hour ago, spudski said:

This thread makes my eyes ache...how people can diss this appointment, based on the fact that he didn't do it as a player at this level, just shows how thick some people are.

Wonder if they think the same about managers and coach's who were world class as players, yet absolutely hopeless as managers.

Go figure how peoples minds work.

Who'd want to be a manager or coach when certain fans are so stupid.

Bang on. 

Before I read the post article, I remembered the last I’d heard of Marvin was that he was running soccer schools in Yate. If people take the time to read the article, they’ll see he’s been running a junior academy with a pathway to city, is involved in Yate Towns youths and has significant experience in coaching.

Its the U18s - he can relate where he went wrong, and is already in our system so knows the culture/expectations.

Would people be as dismissive if the (for example) U8s coach who hadn’t played football at this level had been appointed as a striker coach for the U18s?

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

This story is a few days early. April the first is Sunday. As an April fools joke it’s not very good as no Championship club would appoint a player who spent most of his career in non league football, and couldn’t score, as a coach working with strikers. 

David Leadbetter - never made it as a golfer....all the top players flocked to him for his coaching abilities...

How very typical of some city fans to slate the bloke before he’s even started :facepalm:

Remember last season very well when Dean Holden was getting the blame and some very harsh criticism for our poor run of form, funny not a bad word said about him these days.

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Bang on. 

Before I read the post article, I remembered the last I’d heard of Marvin was that he was running soccer schools in Yate. If people take the time to read the article, they’ll see he’s been running a junior academy with a pathway to city, is involved in Yate Towns youths and has significant experience in coaching.

Its the U18s - he can relate where he went wrong, and is already in our system so knows the culture/expectations.

Would people be as dismissive if the (for example) U8s coach who hadn’t played football at this level had been appointed as a striker coach for the U18s?

TPS - Total Pro Soccer

As I think many know, Marvin was technically a good player. He was coming through around the time I was lucky enough to watch a lot of our reserve games. He was head and shoulders above many around him, although very slight. You can't coach raw talent but even if we wasted his playing potential why not tap that latent talent to coach others?

By the way, his problem, as I think with hindsight we can attach to most former academy players in skill positions, is they very visibly never progressed physically on entering "the mans game", they remained too lightweight to truly compete, and worse, once they were effectively handed over to the first team, their development appeared to end. 

It wasn't just Marvin. It was all of them (again - in skill positions, no slight on CB's, but they at least had physical attributes to sustain a career). Contrast Marvin with the sort of progress Bobby and Joe Bryan have now made in all attributes while with the first team, and physical transformation seems to be a thing now with others (i.e. O'Dowda).

Just because Marvin - like many others - was wasted in those crucial years between youth and first team football and then lost their way playing catch up dropping down the leagues (as opposed to being loaned out to develop in the opposite direction) shouldn't cause us to reject his input now. In any business, failure is the BEST TEACHER.

9 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Let's not even get started on that Dyche character!

Quite right. Although of all those mentioned he actually played reasonably well- just not for us!                                                   

Don't you feel that the best Managers and Chairmen ever are actually here on this very forum? I'm always amazed how some posters can predict an event after it happens.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

As I think many know, Marvin was technically a good player. He was coming through around the time I was lucky enough to watch a lot of our reserve games. He was head and shoulders above many around him, although very slight. You can't coach raw talent but even if we wasted his playing potential why not tap that latent talent to coach others?

By the way, his problem, as I think with hindsight we can attach to most former academy players in skill positions, is they very visibly never progressed physically on entering "the mans game", they remained too lightweight to truly compete, and worse, once they were effectively handed over to the first team, their development appeared to end. 

It wasn't just Marvin. It was all of them (again - in skill positions, no slight on CB's, but they at least had physical attributes to sustain a career). Contrast Marvin with the sort of progress Bobby and Joe Bryan have now made in all attributes while with the first team, and physical transformation seems to be a thing now with others (i.e. O'Dowda).

Just because Marvin - like many others - was wasted in those crucial years between youth and first team football and then lost their way playing catch up dropping down the leagues (as opposed to being loaned out to develop in the opposite direction) shouldn't cause us to reject his input now. In any business, failure is the BEST TEACHER.

One of my dads favourite phra.ses was "a good big 'un is almost always better than a good little 'un", it was always a failing of the old youth structure that we seemed to develop good "little" players. Am I right that these days they look at a players genetics to see how their body is capable of progressing? It's certainly something that seems to be changing when you look at Lloyd Kelly, Zak Vyner and others, they look much better equipped physically to cope with a mans game.

Archived