IGNORED

The Barnsley v Bristol City Match Day Thread 39

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

It's not a holiday , surprisingly, I'm at the office .

We do have lots of " jours fériés " so we'll turn our wine sniffing noses up at your paltry British bank holidays.

We also have quite a few unofficial days off that in English are called ' strikes ' .

No doubt discussing that our Mothers are all hamsters and our fathers smell of elderberries whilst farting in our general direction.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Come on lads keep the dream alive . Lets make this a Good Friday for City.

After the game, get to a TV and cheer on Wolves @ M'bro followed by a good result for Sunderland at Derby.:fingerscrossed:

Edited by 22A
5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

The two GKN Aerospace factories at Western Approach, Bristol and at Filton cumulatively employ about 1/3 of the companies' UK workforce; 484 in Bristol and 1454 in Filton. The two most important clients for GKN Bristol are BAE Systems and Airbus. I know this has little to do with today's match but it is a significant moment in the history of Bristol industry and it needs mentioning. GKN started life as the Dowlais Ironworks Company near Merthyr Tydfil in South Wales in 1759. Yesterday GKN, with 60,000 employees in 30 countries, was sold by a 52% shareholder majority vote to a hostile takeover predator named Melrose Industries formed in 2003. Their motto is 'buy, improve, sell'. Although, for once, a hostile takeover has taken place by a British based and run company it is essentially an asset stripper and jobs will inevitably go. Airbus, curiously, has already gone public by saying it will stop buying from GKN. That might be hard in the short term as there are few factories in the world with the expertise to build Wing Spars as they do in Bristol and GKN supplies BAE Systems which in turn supplies Airbus. It could get a bit messy. I hope the Gov't will not regret not stepping in to prevent a takeover on national security grounds. This would not have happened anywhere else in the world and is why Britain is the most open market in the world, for good and for bad.

GKN.jpg.44a8f09c1a826b101d6b5449138b62d4.jpg

Barnsley mined the coal that powered the iron foundries and made the glass. They may still make glass in Barnsley but Bristolians should be enormously proud of our industrial heritage past and indeed present. In fairness to Barnsley I did give them the benefit of the doubt with 30 minutes of research and found that they can indeed stand proud today as hosting the world's largest mince pie factory, oh yes. here it is:-

5abdcc809478a_barnsley3.thumb.jpg.bc1c3f9b9298b8ef67d08b6bd56f4985.jpg

Next time you buy a box of 6 mince pies think of young Doris there quality controlling out the burnt or cracked top pies to take home to Fred for his tea. 720 pies a minute they make; how does she do it?

Or perhaps, when you next go over one of those very common pot holes in your Mini, your Jaguar, your Land Rover or your Volvo think of that GKN CV Joint that beautifully distributes power from the transmission through the axle and the CV Joint to the wheels and protects you and your car from the harshness of it.

Surely our manufacturing superiority will transcend into the DNA of our players today as they descend on Oakwell? Chien Lee took over Barnsley and thus ended the reign of the now sadly departed Patrick Cryne. Lee, from Hong Kong, is also 80% owner of Nice Football Club and partners part of the shareholding at Barnsley with Billy Beane of the Oakland Athletics Baseball team. Remains to be seen if they buy back the stadium and surrounding Oakwell sports venues procurred in 2002 by the council to save the club from going under. Of course, the kiss of death for City is to talk about the poor managerial record of Jose Morais; he may have assisted Jose Mourinho along the way at Chelsea, Inter and Madrid but as a number one its not great. Time will tell, but not today thanks.

Enjoy the drive up folks but enjoy it much more coming back. And remember GKN on that bumpy M6 and if it gets really bad stop at Charnock Richard for a mince pie and a cuppa tea. :) 

gkn-featured-image.thumb.png.f8c3473b7be0acedb559c09354bc6e93.png

That mince pie factory is what dragged my dad (and by extension, 3 year old me) north from Bristol 30-off years ago. Right at the start of the miners strike, the cake factory was located a stones throw from Carlton Main colliery- quite the introduction to Northern life for my dad.I haven'tlivedfurther south than Sheffield since (if you don't count a year in Massachusetts, which is at a lower latitude than anywhere in the UK).

I worked in Barnsley for over a decade and despite it's many rough corners, it's a town and a club I have great affection for so I always look forward to these games. This is my first trip back since I left my job there in December. But there'll be no time for sentimentality and I expect a decent city win. We need to watch the boy McBurnie though by all accounts

COYR

PS watch for Airbus or BAE using their buying leverage to purchase parts of GKN as Melrose break it up. I suspect they're haggling for a good price

Edited by chipdawg
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

We need to watch the boy McBurnie though by all accounts

To be fair, McBurnie is a touch of class. Far too good for us. We missed out on signing him in August because of a mix up with the paperwork at the last minute. Our season could have been so different if we had had him all season.

21 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

That mince pie factory is what dragged my dad (and by extension, 3 year old me) north from Bristol 30-off years ago. Right at the start of the miners strike, the cake factory was located a stones throw from Carlton Main colliery- quite the introduction to Northern life for my dad.I haven'tlivedfurther south than Sheffield since (if you don't count a year in Massachusetts, which is at a lower latitude than anywhere in the UK). COYR

PS watch for Airbus or BAE using their buying leverage to purchase parts of GKN as Melrose break it up. I suspect they're haggling for a good price

Interesting story there Chip.

It is surprising to think we are so much further north in any part of the UK than New England; All about the gulf stream; without that we would have winters like Montreal.

Could be right about the vultures buying the bits of GKN. I am still hoping the govt blocks it. 

3 minutes ago, redsfan said:

To be fair, McBurnie is a touch of class. Far too good for us. We missed out on signing him in August because of a mix up with the paperwork at the last minute. Our season could have been so different if we had had him all season.

Is this true or are you being sarcastic? It was not a rumour was it?

15 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Is this true or are you being sarcastic? It was not a rumour was it?

No its true. We had signed him by all accounts but it then transpired that the paperwork never made it in time. There were lots of machinations and rumours about whether the **** up was our end or Swansea's but the consensus was that it was Swansea's error.

As for him being a touch of class, thats true as well. He has only been here since late January and there us every chance, if he keeps scoring at the same rate,  that he may finish the season our top scorer. If only we could defend - we need to score 2 to have any chance of a point. And we have only scored 2 in a game a handful of times all season.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Just been reminded by @The Enormous Turnip that our memorable trip to Oakwell to see Greg Goodridge's winner was FOURTEEN years ago. :shocking:

The bloke on the tannoy as we made our way out knew what was in store for us, 'Good luck in the play offs Bristol, and SEE YOU NEXT SEASON.' :doh:

You mean, of course, the one and only (An)T(h)ony Rougier @Nogbad the Bad ! 

33 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Interesting story there Chip.

It is surprising to think we are so much further north in any part of the UK than New England; All about the gulf stream; without that we would have winters like Montreal.

Could be right about the vultures buying the bits of GKN. I am still hoping the govt blocks it. 

Thinking about it further, we lived a stones-throw from Filton before we left for the north so further connections there.

Montreal though suffers/benefits from the Continental Interior Effect, which results in harsh winters and hit summers. I'd bet it's round about the same latitude as Bristol actually

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Thinking about it further, we lived a stones-throw from Filton before we left for the north so further connections there.

Montreal though suffers/benefits from the Continental Interior Effect, which results in harsh winters and hit summers. I'd bet it's round about the same latitude as Bristol actually

Bristol significantly further north, according to Wikipedia. 45 degrees versus 51 degrees. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, The Enormous Turnip said:

You mean, of course, the one and only (An)T(h)ony Rougier @Nogbad the Bad ! 

Well, it was 14 years ago, and right up the other end...... but I'm still rouge-ing at my appalling error. :blush:

Turns out that was his only league goal for City too!

Just now, wendyredredrobin said:

Barnsley v #BristolCity: Fielding, Pisano, Wright, Baker, Bryan, Brownhill, Pack, Smith, Paterson, Diédhiou, Reid. Subs: Steele, Hegeler, Kelly, Walsh, Kent, Djuric, Diony. #BARvBRC

Would give liked to see Bryan for Patterson personally. Pleasing to see our bench getting stronger , add in Flint from Monday and O’owda back soon and we’re looking strong for run in 

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Well, it was 14 years ago, and right up the other end...... but I'm still rouge-ing at my appalling error. :blush:

Turns out that was his only league goal for City too!

May have been up the other end but unmissable in that iconic luminous yellow strip ;) he also opened the scoring in the play-off first leg at Hartlepool if that counts as league!