IGNORED

The Barnsley v Bristol City Match Day Thread 39

7 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

I watched a horse race today

A horse rated at 90 was out in front after a mile , he tired toward the end and 5 horses all passed him and they were all higher rated horses .  At the start of the race the 90 rated horse was 7th in the betting so overall his trainer said he did well and he knew he wasn’t quite good enough to be able to keep the pace 

if we finish 7th or 8th that will be a good season and it’s looking like the clubs above us are bigger clubs that pay bigger wages etc and we will also finish above bigger clubs so we have over achieved this season.  I don’t care if we were 2nd at some point it doesn’t mean a thing 

A horse doing 90 is worthy of a victory . 

The big question is , 

Should we be  concerned that our form has plummeted since the beginning of the year ? 

12 minutes ago, Chivs said:

OK, here's some stats.  In the last five games home and away we have 8 points.

Brentford, in 11th, have amassed less points.

The bottom 8 teams have amassed less points.  It simply isn't true that we are in relegation form.

But, off you go, and find your scapegoat.

Blimey, don't give them facts, Chivs.

It'll spoil the evening when they go off to slit their wrists because we'll likely finish higher than they predicted in August....  :facepalm:

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With the biggest backing and recruitment of players any manager has ever had 

Would expect significant improvement from any manager with that backing

Thank you thank you! Give that man a medal!! Bang on. If only other managers had spent what this guy has mostly wasted!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With the biggest backing and recruitment of players any manager has ever had 

Would expect significant improvement from any manager with that backing

In a division where players routinely exchange hands for millions of pounds nowadays. The backing is proportional to the market in which we now operate and we still operate with a lower-half budget without the benefit of parachute payments.

It is not a fair or straightforward comparison to compare financial backing in 2018 to that of previous generations.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, pillred said:

and yet virtually the same team beat four premiership sides and was second in the league in the run up to Christmas, potentially we are more than good enough for the play offs, we have been vv good and vv bad no reason we can't be good again let's hope so.

I know. When you see how well the players have played and some incredable performances earlier in the season, it's then so frustrating to see the same players performing so poorly over so many games recently. I know we will turn it around but when and how, I have no idea.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

In a division where players routinely exchange hands for millions of pounds nowadays. The backing is proportional to the market in which we now operate and we still operate with a lower-half budget without the benefit of parachute payments.

It is not a fair or straightforward comparison to compare financial backing in 2018 to that of previous generations.

How many players have Preston , Millwall , Fulham , Cardiff bought for millions only to have them in the stands or out on loan

and you never answered the question whether you’ve actually seen the performances since Christmas ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

@ChippenhamRed why rubbish this. Are you a happy supporter? 

Because you never, ever offer anything even close to balanced opinion and this is yet another example.

I’m disappointed that our form has dipped since Christmas but against pre-season expectations and where I think par would have been for this season, yes I’m a happy supporter. It’s called being able to see the bigger picture.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Lovely thanks....that was actually genuine as always thought you were a pretty decent chap. Don’t know why you got banned until someone posted...maybe I got it wrong about you

Strange claim after you suddenly had a spell of rubbishing each of my posts

:laughcont:

:thumbsup:

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
1 minute ago, MC RISK77 said:

Next season a different story and I share your pessimism if we do no go up and lose the spine of our team in Flint, smith, Bryan etc.

plenty of games to go...boro could quite conceivably lose to wolves tonight..still all to play for.

just stating that the towel seems to have been thrown in already. There will be many twists and turns from now

Towel being thrown in or realism? 
On here , looking at it from the other side.

We drop points against a side you think you could beat, and the cry goes up ... it's ok if we win the next game ... Then...

We drop points against a side you think you could beat, and the cry goes up ... it's ok if we win the next game ... Then..

We drop points against a side you think you could beat, and the cry goes up ... it's ok if we win the next game ... etc

From my perspective that is as annoying as anyone throwing in the towel as you call it. If you look back you can understand people giving up on our promotion chances as this run (just about relegation form remember) has gone on three months or so.
I keep hoping something will click, but todays stats are ridiculous . Bags of possession and 2 shots on target against a relegation candidate. OK you can't win every game, you can lose against a side fighting relegation. It the fact THEY had 3 times more shots than us , 4 time more on target those figures are worrying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

How many players have Preston , Millwall , Fulham , Cardiff bought for millions only to have them in the stands or out on loan

and you never answered the question whether you’ve actually seen the performances since Christmas ?

Yes I’ve seen performances since Christmas - some live, some on telly - and I am not saying they haven’t been disappointing.

They haven’t all been terrible either - Fulham, Sheff Wed, QPR spring to mind.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
10 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Can't believe the experts on here think Wright is ahead of Flint. Hysterical. 

He fouled Moore for the free kick that led to the first goal and Baker was just as culpable. We're conceding sloppy goals and failing to create chances at the other end.

The crazy thing is, when City face a team playing high tempo football, they can respond in kind. Fulham being a great example.

Unfortunately teams at the bottom of the table play at their own pace, often opting for a direct game that utilises big, physical players 

It's City's failure to adapt that's stalling our season. Too many players go missing and lesser teams dominate us

We've still got the quality to start a winning run, but the players need to believe in their own ability and fast. 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Towel being thrown in or realism? 
On here , looking at it from the other side.

We drop points against a side you think you could beat, and the cry goes up ... it's ok if we win the next game ... Then...

We drop points against a side you think you could beat, and the cry goes up ... it's ok if we win the next game ... Then..

We drop points against a side you think you could beat, and the cry goes up ... it's ok if we win the next game ... etc

From my perspective that is as annoying as anyone throwing in the towel as you call it. If you look back you can understand people giving up on our promotion chances as this run (just about relegation form remember) has gone on three months or so.
I keep hoping something will click, but todays stats are ridiculous . Bags of possession and 2 shots on target against a relegation candidate. OK you can't win every game, you can lose against a side fighting relegation. It the fact THEY had 3 times more shots than us , 4 time more on target those figures are worrying. 

Fair enough mate I agree with the majority of that..maybe I am too glass half full...but everyone on here would have taken where we are now 6 months ago. 

Have a good evening

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yes I’ve seen performances since Christmas - some live, some on telly - and I am not saying they haven’t been disappointing.

They haven’t all been terrible either - Fulham, Sheff Wed, QPR spring to mind.

Fulham - we were ok / spirited -!mainly thanks to an epic shift from Reid and nowhere near our normal style but competitive

I Thought we were very poor against a pitiful QPR side but again credit for spirit / doggedness

Shetf Weds - we played some great stuff but against possibly the worst side and certainly one of the most disinterested I’ve EVER seen at AG

And those three are the highlights in how many games 15 ?

And that (The performances) don’t concern you ?

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fulham - we were ok / spirited -!mainly thanksvto an epic shift from Reid and nowhere near our normal style but competitive

I Thought we were very poor against a pitiful QPR side but again credit for spirit / doggedness

Shetf Weds - we played some great stuff but against possibly the worst side and certainly one of the most disinterested I’ve EVER seen at AG

And those three are the highlights in how many games 15 ?

And that (The performances) don’t concern you ?

Where did I say it doesn’t concern me?

Disappointed about our decline since Christmas, but will continue to argue against those who deny our overall progress.

They should rename this forum Knee jerk incrporated, trawling through and reading some of the comments posted of abuse and despair is hilarious.....LJ Out, tactically inept, doesn't know wtf he's doing...............and then elation and play offs here we come.  The championship is the most unpredictable league, probably in Europe, Barnsley are fighting for their lives, so they are not gonna just roll over.  LJ has plenty of faults, but he is one of the youngest managers in the top 2 divisions, has taken a team that seemed certain to be relegated last season to 1 point from the play offs. I personally think he's doing a great job.  No I am NOT a happy clapper, and I am prone to moments of over reaction and stupid comments..........but maybe a few people should read back through some of the absurdly embarassing posts made during this game.  Sorry I will get off of my soapbox and look forward to beating Brentford on Monday, that's the beauty of the championship, no 2 games/performances are ever the same.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Sheffield Wednesday are 10 points clear of Barnsley and we beat them 4-0. Ipswich are midtable and we beat them.

So, yes, winnable is a perfectly reasonable description.

In as much as any game is winnable maybe, having just struggled to get 2 shots on target against a side that has a goal difference of minus 20 I'm not so sure. The SW game is starting to look like an anomaly in a horrible run.
I just get fed up when after another poor result against a side that almost everyone says we should beat , we then get the ..it's ok if we win the next game ...

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, maxjak said:

They should rename this forum Knee jerk incrporated, trawling through and reading some of the comments posted of abuse and despair is hilarious.....LJ Out, tactically inept, doesn't know wtf he's doing...............and then elation and play offs here we come.  The championship is the most unpredictable league, probably in Europe, Barnsley are fighting for their lives, so they are not gonna just roll over.  LJ has plenty of faults, but he is one of the youngest managers in the top 2 divisions, has taken a team that seemed certain to be relegated last season to 1 point from the play offs. I personally think he's doing a great job.  No I am NOT a happy clapper, and I am prone to moments of over reaction and stupid comments..........but maybe a few people should read back through some of the absurdly embarassing posts made during this game.  Sorry I will get off of my soapbox and look forward to beating Brentford on Monday, that's the beauty of the championship, no 2 games/performances are ever the same.

Unless you finish top 4 or bottom 4 which would mean lots of games were the same; won or lost.

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Knee jerk post .

:disapointed2se:

Just now, 1960maaan said:

In as much as any game is winnable maybe, having just struggled to get 2 shots on target against a side that has a goal difference of minus 20 I'm not so sure. The SW game is starting to look like an anomaly in a horrible run.
I just get fed up when after another poor result against a side that almost everyone says we should beat , we then get the ..it's ok if we win the next game ...

Our poor form has been hugely overstated. “Horrible” runs are losing every week - like 8 defeats in a row last season.

Our current horrible run has seen us lose 3 in 12, and unbeaten in 5 at home.

A decline compared to pre-Christmas without a doubt, but not “horrible”. Away form is certainly a concern.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2