IGNORED

Fielding Flaps Again

Fordy62

I’m not surprised people take breaks from this forum. Can’t say I blame them. 

Arguably our most consistent player and certainly should be in the running for POTS and he gets vilified the moment he makes a mistake and all I hear is shit like “Fielding flaps again” or a shitty Facebook poll about who should start - Fielding or Steele. That’s ignoring the fact that the chap on bbc live updates seeming to imply it was a foul on FF for their first goal.

Frankie has had a brilliant season and should command some respect for how well he’s playing.

Yet we all want to kiss his balls when he digs out a wonder save at the death. 

The continual shit Frankie gets is completely unwarranted and unfair. And it ***** me off. 

Rant over. 

I didn't really feel it was Fieldings fault for the first goal, though it's undeniable that a bigger, more imposing keeper would probably have got a fist on that ball. He then made a couple of great saves in the 2nd half. Fielding has been good all season (at least when I've watched) but I always have the feeling we good do better. Not a criticism of FF, just a statement of opinion

But we didn’t win, so it obviously has to be someone’s fault.

Plus of course Woodrow wasn’t in the squad & Diony was only an unused sub, so even the most rabid on here couldn’t blame either of them..

22 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Arguably our most consistent player and certainly should be in the running for POTS and he gets vilified the moment he makes a mistake and all I hear is shit like “Fielding flaps again” or a shitty Facebook poll about who should start - Fielding or Steele. That’s ignoring the fact that the chap on bbc live updates seeming to imply it was a foul on FF for their first goal.

Frankie has had a brilliant season and should command some respect for how well he’s playing.

The continual shit Frankie gets is completely unwarranted and unfair. And it ***** me off. 

Rant over. 

The matchday threads are like that: one moment someone's a useless lady garden, the next they are Christ resurrected.  Often according to the same poster. :yawn:

8 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I didn't really feel it was Fieldings fault for the first goal, though it's undeniable that a bigger, more imposing keeper would probably have got a fist on that ball. He then made a couple of great saves in the 2nd half. Fielding has been good all season (at least when I've watched) but I always have the feeling we good do better. Not a criticism of FF, just a statement of opinion

And I think this is partly my problem. We think we can do better without any real justification.

We could do better than Flint, Baker, Reid, Smith, Pack. We could do better than anyone. But we have to attract the players that are better. So can we?

Fielding has been brilliant, yet for some reason - and this isn’t a dig at you directly Chip as many share your viewpoint- but people seem to think he needs replacing. We wouldn’t dream of suggestions to replace Reid, so why so with Frankie when he’s in the best form we’ve ever seen him have?

Just now, Fordy62 said:

And I think this is partly my problem. We think we can do better without any real justification.

We could do better than Flint, Baker, Reid, Smith, Pack. We could do better than anyone. But we have to attract the players that are better. So can we?

Fielding has been brilliant, yet for some reason - and this isn’t a dig at you directly Chip as many share your viewpoint- but people seem to think he needs replacing. We wouldn’t dream of suggestions to replace Reid, so why so with Frankie when he’s in the best form we’ve ever seen him have?

I don't necessarily think he needs replacing, I think he's a good chanpionship keeper. But I also think there are guys who have Frankie's ability but are 6'4" and can compete physically with donkeys like Keiffer Moore. Now I wouldn't advocate for replacing him and he wouldn't be the first player I'd want to upgrade, but I do think we could find a better player in Europe or the Lower leagues if we really looked. But as I said, he's played well this season and deserves credit for the consistency of his performances

37 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Rant over. 

Yeah mate agree time for a break myself I think...he has been very solid this season

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

So we just need to find a good shot stopper who is commanding of his area and catches every cross.

Is De Gea available?

Maybe not. Decide how you want to play and what attributes the Keepers will need. Elements can outweigh others. Passing teams like Fulham place emphasis on Keepers ball skill. 

Just now, MarcusX said:

Agreed.

he gets a very rough ride on this forum

He always has, ever since he arrived. Yet he's seen off every bit of competition for his place from keepers who were supposedly much better than him, so he must be doing something right. 

He has his flaws and of course we could improve on him, but any keeper we signed would have to be a significant upgrade to justify the sizeable fee that we'd probably have to pay. And I suspect a new keeper is probably some way down the list of priorities. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Rant over. 

Good post Fordy

Anyone mention from those about whoever was meant to be marking Moore

No

11 minutes ago, hodge said:

Frankie's wonder saves are often glossed over and forgotten, the sky reporter said he made a very good save today as well. 

Think Johnny Phillips described it as

‘ an unbelievable save ‘

I’ve said before - One ofbthe reasons Flint is absolutely vital for us is he protects FF aerially which down to stature is his vulnerable area - great shot stopper and overall a very decent keeper for us IMO

Just now, RobintheRed Red said:

like cimmanding his six yard box

You won’t find many such commanding keepers who due to stature are then as quick or agile as FF or in his league in terms of shot stopping

And if you can identify one tell SL he may need to Mortgage the West Stand !

As an all round package FF is decent for us IMO and there are prob only one or two keepers in Championship that I’d swap him with 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You won’t find many such commanding keepers who due to stature are then as quick or agile as FF or in his league in terms of shot stopping

And if you can identify one tell SL he may need to Mortgage the West Stand !

As an all round package FF is decent for us IMO and there are prob only one or two keepers in Championship that I’d swap him with 

all about opinions but most crosses he frightens the shit out of me good shot stopper granted but im sure the back four would love to see him come and take the ball todays first goal was headed in in his six yard box although Bailey wright took the blame the guy on sky sports said he made up after being at fault for the first goal

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Rant over. 

He was our best player today.

Maybe we should get Parish back from....Dundee......he was better than him according to most on here...

Or maybe Hamer from being Leicester 4th choice....?

Or RO’D? He was better than him too. Ah wait he shipped 4 today and is on course to be a League Two keeper next year. 

What about Geifer? I miss seeing him not being able to kick the ball further than 25 yards. 

Or we could just actually accept Frank is a ******* good keeper? Loves the club and city to death too. No idea what the vendetta against him is all about.

10 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

all about opinions but most crosses he frightens the shit out of me good shot stopper granted but im sure the back four would love to see him come and take the ball todays first goal was headed in in his six yard box although Bailey wright took the blame the guy on sky sports said he made up after being at fault for the first goal

If you panic now - wait till we sell Flint to the highest bidder !!!!

( I have previously said that at that point we may have to rethink FF)

22 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Maybe we should get Parish back from....Dundee......he was better than him according to most on here...

Or maybe Hamer from being Leicester 4th choice....?

Or RO’D? He was better than him too. Ah wait he shipped 4 today and is on course to be a League Two keeper next year. 

What about Geifer? I miss seeing him not being able to kick the ball further than 25 yards. 

Or we could just actually accept Frank is a ******* good keeper? Loves the club and city to death too. No idea what the vendetta against him is all about.

A common theme is Frankie Fieldings distribution and positional play.

Ball skill is 66% of a Keepers game - source the FA . Frankie Fielding's distribution is not of a high standard. That is the majority of a Keepers contact with the football.

Fielding's positioning. He does not play outside of his box offensively or defensively. Modern Keepers are now frequently intervening, playing high and joining in e.g. 4-4-2 is 1-4-4-2. allowing full backs to play high creating over loads in midfield as the Keeper sweeps.

A Keeper who can play high and joins in adeptly adds a entire new dimension to any team. Bristol City as supposedly a team playing through the thirds, retention and cohesive possession should be areas where the team can be progressed. With Frank Fielding his lack of technical ability means that the team will always lack tactical flexibility while he is in goal.

Its tactical observation, hardly vendetta.

Archived