slartibartfast

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You can pick certain facts from the post Xmas run of games

But , keeping this run simple , and if I’ve got my maths right

Sonce Wolves and over 3 months we’ve attained 15 points from 14 games

Thay is relegation / close to relegation form over a third of the season

In the two months of January and February we got 7 points from 9 games

Thay is certainly relegation form

Therefore calling it a horrible run is I would suggest reasonable and hasn’t occurred over a blip of 3/4/5 games but 15 

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't think you should follow football mate...as your piss maybe like lava sooner rather than later. It's not an attitude...it's a fact. Over a season, you get a whole multitude of results that don't add up.

However....we are on a poor run away, compared with our home form.

Our form is poor and IMHO probably worse than our points return (See above) which is itself very poor

Our home form includes scraping wins agains Sheff Weds , QPR, And Ipswich who were three months f the worst Sides I’ve seen at AG in a long time and possibly the only half reasonable / decent sides we’ve encountered at AG in that time Fulham and Norwich we drew and lost to 

A wins a win but for all the lauding of our home form - last time we beat a half decent side at home ?

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Our form is poor and IMHO probably worse than our points return (See above) which is itself very poor

Our home form includes scraping wins agains Sheff Weds , QPR, And Ipswich who were three months f the worst Sides I’ve seen at AG in a long time and possibly the only half reasonable / decent sides we’ve encountered at AG in that time Fulham and Norwich we drew and lost to 

A wins a win but for all the lauding of our home form - last time we beat a half decent side at home ?

We didn't scrape it against Wednesday, Bob. That game was almost TOO easy.

10 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

"They've got a lot of young and zippy players, so it was a tough afternoon" I rather liked. Didn't we have a "young group" once? My advice to Lee this summer is: sell our group, and buy Barnsley's young and zippy ones.

Yes because we would then swap a squad that has us in 7th place for a Barnsley squad that has them in the relegation battle.

7 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

We didn't scrape it against Wednesday, Bob. That game was almost TOO easy.

Sorry AD - nobwe walked it tbf (and played some good stuff) but they were simply dreadful  - bad gathering in my post

:thumbsup:

As were QPR and Ipswich who we huffed and puffed against 

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sorry AD - nobwe walked it tbf (and played some good stuff) but they were simply dreadful  - bad gathering in my post

:thumbsup:

As were QPR and Ipswich who we huffed and puffed against 

yeah, they were about the worst team i've seen at AG in years. And this time, I mean it.

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Which bit of these facts are ‘ rubbish’@EmissionImpossible

Or are you just having a hissy ?

:yawn:

All ears here

30 people have liked the op

Only one has rubbished it, oh yes that was you as well - says it all

Please enlighten us all ........

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Over our last 5 games we've got the 8th best form in the league.

At home...our last 5 we are 5th best in the league.

Away...our last 5...20th.

We strolled Sheff Wednesday.

The problem I see, was that we had a very bright start to the season, and played some sensational football.

Some got accustomed to that, and wonder why we haven't done it week in week out.

As you know football isn't as simple as that.

But there will always be three or four teams in the league that keep going.

The simple fact is, it's a tough league, no game is easy, and however disappointing it maybe, and maybe our hopes had risen, it is what it is.

We would have all taken a top half finish at the beginning of the season. And we still my get in the play offs.

Today Boro couldn't be Wolves who had two sent off...and Derby are in free fall.

We sit 7th...and yet we still all bitch and moan.

And only two seasons up...worth putting into perspective ;-)

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Over our last 5 games we've got the 8th best form in the league.

At home...our last 5 we are 5th best in the league.

Away...our last 5...20th.

We strolled Sheff Wednesday.

The problem I see, was that we had a very bright start to the season, and played some sensational football.

Some got accustomed to that, and wonder why we haven't done it week in week out.

As you know football isn't as simple as that.

But there will always be three or four teams in the league that keep going.

The simple fact is, it's a tough league, no game is easy, and however disappointing it maybe, and maybe our hopes had risen, it is what it is.

We would have all taken a top half finish at the beginning of the season. And we still my get in the play offs.

Today Boro couldn't be Wolves who had two sent off...and Derby are in free fall.

We sit 7th...and yet we still all bitch and moan.

And only two seasons up...worth putting into perspective ;-)

You’ve avoided who we’ve played and more importantly over results , the performances 

Thought you’d look a bit deeper than hanging on to the stats you’ve quoted

Sheffield Wednesday were as poor , disorganised and disinterested as a side as I’ve seen at AG for years so as pleasing on the eye that was I’m afraid it was an isolated one in the last three months and pleasingly the closest to method of play that we follOwed pre xmas but difficult to judge

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't think you should follow football mate...as your piss maybe like lava sooner rather than later. It's not an attitude...it's a fact. Over a season, you get a whole multitude of results that don't add up.

However....we are on a poor run away, compared with our home form.

It’s alright mate  I piss in the pan to cook my eggs

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Which bit of these facts are ‘ rubbish’@EmissionImpossible

Or are you just having a hissy ?

All ears here

30 people have liked the op

Only one has rubbished it, oh yes that was you as well - says it all

Please enlighten us all ........

We didn’t scrape a win against Sheff Wednesday.

I probably overreacted by rubbishing the original post on here but I think he is overreacting.

Just now, EmissionImpossible said:

We didn’t scrape a win against Sheff Wednesday.

I probably overreacted by rubbishing the original post on here but I think he is overreacting.

No we didn’t scrape a win against Sheff Weds and I’ve agreed that I should have separated Weds as a comfortable win against a very very poor side

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Burton was poor , Ipswich was poor and then today. No sign it's ending soon

Not sure how can keep dressing it up with a positive spin.

I think that is the one thing he is a top performer in. Spin. Unfortunately getting the team playing well and halting the terrible run of form is well beyond him.

18 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You’ve avoided who we’ve played and more importantly over results , the performances 

Thought you’d look a bit deeper than hanging on to the stats you’ve quoted

Sheffield Wednesday were as poor , disorganised and disinterested as a side as I’ve seen at AG for years so as pleasing on the eye that was I’m afraid it was an isolated one in the last three months and pleasingly the closest to method of play that we follOwed pre xmas but difficult to judge

I've not avoided it Bob...we sit 7th with 7 games left to play. We've lost only 3 games more than Wolves. 2 seasons up and playing catch up to many teams in this league with far more experience and finance.

I don't need to look deeper. We know the reasons we had a dip in form, and we are now slightly on the p in results.

Other teams with far more experience are far worse than us.

Sheff Wed were poor, yet smashed 4 past Preston today.

Sunderland 3 goals up at Derby right now. Go figure...it's pointless trying to put an exact finger on it.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've not avoided it Bob...we sit 7th with 7 games left to play. We've lost only 3 games more than Wolves. 2 seasons up and playing catch up to many teams in this league with far more experience and finance.

I don't need to look deeper. We know the reasons we had a dip in form, and we are now slightly on the p in results.

Other teams with far more experience are far worse than us.

Sheff Wed were poor, yet smashed 4 past Preston today.

Sunderland 3 goals up at Derby right now. Go figure...it's pointless trying to put an exact finger on it.

Firstly. Spud this continual ‘ 

Other teams with far more experience are far worse than us.’

’Other sides have a bigger wage bill and are doing worse than us’

Trotted Out On here

By the same token there are sides with less experience , less spending that outperform us and it’s trotted out like some consolation prize or ‘What you could have won’ on Bullseye and is used as a fallback argument as a ‘it’s ok because it could be worse’

Im not in the slightest desperate to join the Premier Circus so missing out on promotion doesn’t overly concern me

What does  concern me , with an eye on next season and the future is , definitely our recruitment , and the decisions to move away from our apparent preferred way of playing and an apparent confusion as to our tactical approach and how to halt a long run of poor performances

As for ‘We know the reasons we had a dip in form’

Do we ?

Know ?

I have my own views and posted about a predominant one (IMHO)on another thtread

So what are your reasons (  opinions) for the dip,in form .

No fine margins or tiredness if you would 

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

Speaking to Barnsley fans I know, they said that's the best they'd played in months. Now how much if it was down to us being poor and them being good is open to debate, but I guess we need to give credit where it's due. 

For what it's worth, I thought we started slowly, dominated from about 15 to 60 mins and the struggled towards the end of the match. Sloppiness as the game gets old is something that seems to have happened with regularity since Christmas, I think the cup run has taken it out of us. But LJs Pack-for-Djuric swap also played it's part

We can't keep using the cup run as an excuse.

It's bad squad rotation if there are players under par and not ' rested ' by the coach . 

If Barnsley had a player who could hit the target we would have been soundly thrashed.

We got out of jail today.

We need to stop the aimless hoods upfield to Diedhou who is often surrounded by two or three defenders and with Bobby nowhere near to pick up any second balls.

Where has the high pressing game gone ? 

The team is looking disjointed.

We need a win against Brentford .

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Firstly. Spud this continual ‘ 

Other teams with far more experience are far worse than us.’

’Other sides have a bigger wage bill and are doing worse than us’

Trotted Out On here

By the same token there are sides with less experience , less spending that outperform us and it’s trotted out like some consolation prize or ‘What you could have won’ on Bullseye and is used as a fallback argument as a ‘it’s ok because it could be worse’

Im not in the slightest desperate to join the Premier Circus so missing out on promotion doesn’t overly concern me

What does  concern me , with an eye on next season and the future is , definitely our recruitment , and the decisions to move away from our apparent preferred way of playing and an apparent confusion as to our tactical approach and how to halt a long run of poor performances

As for ‘We know the reasons we had a dip in form’

Do we ?

Know ?

I have my own views and posted about a predominant one (IMHO)on another thtread

So what are your reasons (  opinions) for the dip,in form .

No fine margins or tiredness if you would 

Who above us in the league do you speak of?

Perhaps our injuries have been down to the way we play and the experts have realised at this level it's not possible to do week in week out, and that we need to refine it a little?

Answer to your last question...long term injuries.

I think we would be even higher if Duric, Odowda, and Famara had played more.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Who above us in the league do you speak of?

Perhaps our injuries have been down to the way we play and the experts have realised at this level it's not possible to do week in week out, and that we need to refine it a little?

Answer to your last question...long term injuries.

I think we would be even higher if Duric, Odowda, and Famara had played more.

It doesn’t sit well on here but total expenditure , with wages and fees paid Cardiff would be an interesting comparison

As for experience that’s our choice that we generally don’t buy experienced and the vast majority of this side have had two or more seasons of Championship football

O’Dowda has been a miss but only six months ago was seen as anything but so let’s not make him the messiah blame too much on his absence although his agree a loss

We arntbthe only side with injuries and there are some far worse off

genuine question - you think we are better with Duric and Famara playing more (I strongly disagree btw - certainly if you are talking starting 21)

How would you set up with them then ?(Bearing in mind LJs open philosophy about how he wants to play , high press , ten busy bees etc)

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It doesn’t sit well on here but total expenditure , with wages and fees paid Cardiff would be an interesting comparison

As for experience that’s our choice that we generally don’t buy experienced and the vast majority of this side have had two or more seasons of Championship football

O’Dowda has been a miss but only six months ago was seen as anything but so let’s not make him the messiah blame too much on his absence although his agree a loss

genuine question - you think we are better with Duric and Famara playing more (I strongly disagree btw - certainly if you are talking starting 21)

How would you set up with them then ?(Bearing in mind LJs open philosophy about how he wants to play , high press , ten busy bees etc)

I actually think LJ's philosophy has changed a little...purely down to the fact that we were getting out fought in areas.

I think it works against less physical sides...hence us playing well against Premier sides this season.

We've been out fought in certain areas. And I honestly believe over a season you can't play to the high tempo we do; have done without it having a negative effect in certain areas.

I think Duric is a fantastic player at this level, and gives us the physicality we need up front ( in this league ).

I'd set up differently depending who we were playing against.

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We can't keep using the cup run as an excuse.

It's bad squad rotation if there are players under par and not ' rested ' by the coach . 

If Barnsley had a player who could hit the target we would have been soundly thrashed.

We got out of jail today.

We need to stop the aimless hoods upfield to Diedhou who is often surrounded by two or three defenders and with Bobby nowhere near to pick up any second balls.

Where has the high pressing game gone ? 

The team is looking disjointed.

We need a win against Brentford .

Its not so much an excuse as a reason. You see it time and time again that clubs are affected by cup runs like ours. I agree that if it is the factor it appears to be, then Johnson should have rotated the squad a little bit more but being disjointed and the lack of the pressing game could both be down to mental and physical fatigue. I'm also not sure I agree with the "aimless hoofs towards Diedhou" either. Our passing was just shit in general, but I didn't think we particularly favoured the long ball until Djuric game on. Our passing was just crap, not particularly long distance imo 

We weren't even that bad today, dominated between the boxes but a couple of poor bits of defending at the start of the season half and then having to go all out chasing the game led to a 4-1 scoreline.

Suspect we'll be right back at it against Derby but they simply have to react after that today against Sunderland.

It's all so unpredictable, especially with Millwall flying up the table.

50 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

My suspicion - and I could be wrong - is we would be surprised by quite how much more Cardiff are spending than us. They present as underdogs but I imagine their wage bill is competitive with the top six. There is a genuine argument that Preston, Millwall and Brentford outdo us for bang for their buck but I think, compared to the top six, we are the WW1 soldiers who turned up on horseback when others had machine guns...

32 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

We weren't even that bad today, dominated between the boxes but a couple of poor bits of defending at the start of the season half and then having to go all out chasing the game led to a 4-1 scoreline.

Suspect we'll be right back at it against Derby but they simply have to react after that today against Sunderland.

It's all so unpredictable, especially with Millwall flying up the table.

I may be wrong but I think Derby have the weight of past psychological failures against them. Millwall are in great form but have the last three fixtures from Hell. I think it is us v you for the final playoff spot.

Archived