IGNORED

Nicky Maynard

Londoner

8 hours ago, 123red1 said:

Was just watching some ex videos on Youtube of City and stumbled across a 20 top goals by Maynard video.

Maynard one of the most hated Ex City Strikers, yet one of the best, rather ironic. Injury and attitude ruined his career, but his goals against Palace, Newcastle and QPR showed what a quality player he was. Always sad to see anyone's career go up in smoke and all that, but deep down I expect he wishes he signed that new deal here now, after all we helped him back from a serious injury and he has still scored something like 10 goals in 25 matches when we sold him that year. I don't think we've had a natural all round striker since Maynard. Kodjia scored goals but didn't have his quality, Tammy was your poacher, and Bobby Reid is the same ilk as Tammy, but he doesn't work his own goals or score quality ones. Maynard in his prime was a fine a natural all round striker that we've had in my lifetime at Ashton Gate. 

I am not sure how any players leap out of the womb being a natural born finisher. All players have to work at what they are. Injury does not always ruin careers, it can alter them and the truly skilled mentally and technically can adjust. Nicky Maynard displayed a piss poor attitude at Bristol City in his last few months. It has come as no surprise that his football since he has left has carried on in that naturally piss poor vein. 

On 31 March 2018 at 09:55, jayjay said:

JET has had a pretty steep fall from grace. And he doesn't have a serious injury as an excuse.

As said on numerous occasions JET (like several naturally talented players) need to be loved. Always felt that although the fans loved JET the club found it to easy to play him when their  preferred striker was injured and then as soon as they were fit JET was dropped.  Probably similar for him at Gillingham and QPR

3 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

As said on numerous occasions JET (like several naturally talented players) need to be loved. Always felt that although the fans loved JET the club found it to easy to play him when their  preferred striker was injured and then as soon as they were fit JET was dropped.  Probably similar for him at Gillingham and QPR

It's funny how different players are perceived... JET swanned round on the pitch, turning it on like few others could when he fancied it, utterly anonymous when he didn't, and spent half his life in Java. He "needed to be loved".

Maynard single-handedly dragged us out of relegation in 2009/10, was average for a few months after letting his head get turned (still got 8 from 26 starts mind you) and is "one of City's most hated ex-strikers".

9 hours ago, RonWalker said:

It's funny how different players are perceived... JET swanned round on the pitch, turning it on like few others could when he fancied it, utterly anonymous when he didn't, and spent half his life in Java. He "needed to be loved".

Maynard single-handedly dragged us out of relegation in 2009/10, was average for a few months after letting his head get turned (still got 8 from 26 starts mind you) and is "one of City's most hated ex-strikers".

and those different perceptions are not going to change anytime soon. Players will always be 'marmite'  look at Maggs.

21 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I liked Maynard before the contract debacle but I always thought Steve Brooker was the most balanced striker I have seen in recent times at AG. If only he could have stayed fit. 

Just imagine a fully fit Steve Brooker. Could have been amazing. 

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:05, Olé said:

Nicky Hunt played over 100 Premiership games and even in Europe at Atletico Madrid and Sporting Lisbon alongside the likes of Jay-Jay Okocha and Youri Djorkaeff.

Yep, we soon sorted him out, didn't take us long to change his ways.. just like the rest of 'em…  ha ha another one bites the dust..  COYR's … must be something in the water! 

:laugh: .  Roll Up, Roll Up, can we have the next contestant please!

(Ashton Gate, it's like Hotel California, you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave! )

On 01/06/2018 at 07:01, 123red1 said:

Was just watching some ex videos on Youtube of City and stumbled across a 20 top goals by Maynard video.

Maynard one of the most hated Ex City Strikers, yet one of the best, rather ironic. Injury and attitude ruined his career, but his goals against Palace, Newcastle and QPR showed what a quality player he was. Always sad to see anyone's career go up in smoke and all that, but deep down I expect he wishes he signed that new deal here now, after all we helped him back from a serious injury and he has still scored something like 10 goals in 25 matches when we sold him that year. I don't think we've had a natural all round striker since Maynard. Kodjia scored goals but didn't have his quality, Tammy was your poacher, and Bobby Reid is the same ilk as Tammy, but he doesn't work his own goals or score quality ones. Maynard in his prime was a fine a natural all round striker that we've had in my lifetime at Ashton Gate. 

You think he’s going to sign for a third time then, Katch? 

6 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Ah the good old days when it seemed like every single football thread somehow swerved into a diuscussion of Steve Brooker.

Exhibit 354152 from 2006

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/71190-brooker-why-did-he-not-come-on-sooner/

Eh? That thread was about Brooker, the title gives it away ..... how is it a football thread that “swerved into a discussion about Brooker” when it was a discussion about him from the title and OP onwards?!

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Eh? That thread was about Brooker, the title gives it away ..... how is it a football thread that “swerved into a discussion about Brooker” when it was a discussion about him from the title and OP onwards?!

They all did then; and your heart sank as Sarah leapt onto each thread and wrested it into becoming a Brooker thread.

You are clearly some kind of "yoof" who doesn't remember what it was like on the forum back in them days.

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

They all did then; and your heart sank as Sarah leapt onto each thread and wrested it into becoming a Brooker thread.

You are clearly some kind of "yoof" who doesn't remember what it was like on the forum back in them days.

I’m certainly no ‘yoof’ - I’ve watched City in all four divisions and I’ve been on here for around 15 years....

10 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

She did didn`t she, she was a master of the art.

I reckon someone could have started a thread about the 1966 World Cup and within five posts SB would have been shoehorned in to it by her!

Maynard was a quality player who made some poor choices. He was always going to be sold on.

Fall from grace? JET. Remember reading about him in fourfourtwo when he was at Arsenal. Head... somewhere else. So much talent, so little interest

On 30/03/2018 at 19:30, Londoner said:

Can't remember a more rapid fall from grace from someone with such talent and ability.

Read that he is now at Aberdeen and failed to score in 19 games this season....

All right he fell out with the club here, but it' sad to see him not come close to fulfilling his potential.

Any other such dramatic falls from grace?

Us last season springs to mind

2 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Please don’t go to those dark times, urgh :laughcont:

Oops - I didn’t meant to start anything or divert the thread to be about Brooker - sorry. Those threads were before my time on OTIB so I was completely unaware. 

I was just saying what I thought !!!!

7 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Just reading that old thread and it's quite surprising how many decent posters no longer post and it's still sad to read Bucks posts. What a good poster he was. 

R.I.P Bucks. 

Also Ashtonyate

He was never the same after his skiing injury, assuming that's what it was that ****** his career up.

At the time, I was livid that we sold him to West Ham for a pittance, but in hindsight that was probably the best thing that could've happened. 

I don't hold any hard feelings against him, and I still like watching his wonder goal against QPR. If anything, I felt he was robbed when Jay Bothroyd got an England cap after Maynard had a much better season than him. I'd like to see him have one more run at a team in League 2, and try to reclaim some of that old glory. Otherwise, if the legs aren't with him any more, he'd be a great candidate to get into coaching.

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

He was never the same after his skiing injury, assuming that's what it was that ****** his career up.

At the time, I was livid that we sold him to West Ham for a pittance, but in hindsight that was probably the best thing that could've happened. 

I don't hold any hard feelings against him, and I still like watching his wonder goal against QPR. If anything, I felt he was robbed when Jay Bothroyd got an England cap after Maynard had a much better season than him. I'd like to see him have one more run at a team in League 2, and try to reclaim some of that old glory. Otherwise, if the legs aren't with him any more, he'd be a great candidate to get into coaching.

Ski instructor perhaps ? 

Archived