IGNORED

3 out of 5

Ivorguy

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

In a Post interview LJ talking, again, about the team being a work in progress states that we are at phase three out of five.

Anyone  have an idea what this means?

Yes, it means that we were at two previously and next will be four....

11 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

In a Post interview LJ talking, again, about the team being a work in progress states that we are at phase three out of five.

It means I will talk a good game forever but always be at that level 

35 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

He thinks we've forgotten how many transfer windows he said he needed on day one? 

5 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

It means , we are not ready . It means that LJ is trying to take the pressure off by placing us as outsiders for a play off spot .

Will We ever be at phase 5 ? Or will LJ insist that we are now on the second level of the first phase ? 

It means that he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about! 

Or how to get us playing as a a team again. 

Or how to to play away against those scrapping against relegation. 

Or how to play at home if the opposition park the bus. 

I could go on and on but haven't the time or the will to continue. 

6 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

No but I have an idea what he's getting at.

Its pretty obvious that City are not yet the complete article and LJ and his backroom staff still have plenty of to do to get us where we all want to be - where Wolves are right now.

To achieve that he's going to need the right players and that'll mean a busy summer of ins and outs. So far his transfer dealings have been 50/50 and I expect the same applies to most managers in the Championship.

I doubt we will ever get to phase 5 as this would result in a change to our financial position. As it is we need to

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No but I have an idea what he's getting at.

Its pretty obvious that City are not yet the complete article and LJ and his backroom staff still have plenty of to do to get us where we all want to be - where Wolves are right now.

To achieve that he's going to need the right players and that'll mean a busy summer of ins and outs. So far his transfer dealings have been 50/50 and I expect the same applies to most managers in the Championship.

Well put. I agree there will be ins and outs and progression will be dependent on this. That said our financial position will continue to restrict us, especially when we can’t tie down players like Reid on a new contract. Imagine we’ll need to cash in somewhere to bring in new players.

It’s a shame Bristol Sport has just hit me with such a big increase in the cost of my season ticket for the privilege of watching another season of work in progress.  I’m alread looking forward to LJ seeing us through phase 4 and 5 as MA explains that promotion is not the plan.  Roll on season 19/20.

17 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

I doubt we will ever get to phase 5 as this would result in a change to our financial position. As it is we need to

Well put. I agree there will be ins and outs and progression will be dependent on this. That said our financial position will continue to restrict us, especially when we can’t tie down players like Reid on a new contract. Imagine we’ll need to cash in somewhere to bring in new players.

I'm hoping that some of youngsters  currently out on loan gaining league football experience will have developed enough quality to be in the frame for the first team squad and that Walsh will have benefited hugely from his half season in Championship.

Its possible that LJ and MA have some more PL loans in mind mixed with current youngsters which of course adheres to SLs transfer policy. I'd be hugely surprised if any marguee signings are made this summer. 

I think it means we are progressing steadily, but not quite there yet, and that our long term policy of buying and developing younger players means that we're not in the position of other clubs with higher wage budgets who can go out and attempt to  buy instant success. It means that for every disappointing draw against Sunderland, Burton or Barnsley, there is an unexpected and brilliant victory at Fulham or at home to Derby or Manchester United. It means that we are one point off the play offs with 7 to play, having finished 17th last season. It means that in one of the most competitive leagues in the world we are more than holding our own, blooding new academy players, getting to the semi finals of the League Cup and pushing for promotion. It means that we will always find something to complain about, because we are football fans, but when we look back on this season - irrespective of where we finish - we will see that the trend is up and not down, and if we  continue this gradual progression, who knows what next season, or the one after that, may bring?.  Or something like that anyway. 

3 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Yeah

We are 3/5ths of the way ot getting it right

Thing is, the next 2/5ths are the difficult bit. Bloody difficult. And LJ has yet to steer a team over the line to promotion. Not sure he'll manage it with loans/recruitment like we've seen this season!

14 hours ago, Dave L said:

I think it means we are progressing steadily, but not quite there yet, and that our long term policy of buying and developing younger players means that we're not in the position of other clubs with higher wage budgets who can go out and attempt to  buy instant success. It means that for every disappointing draw against Sunderland, Burton or Barnsley, there is an unexpected and brilliant victory at Fulham or at home to Derby or Manchester United. It means that we are one point off the play offs with 7 to play, having finished 17th last season. It means that in one of the most competitive leagues in the world we are more than holding our own, blooding new academy players, getting to the semi finals of the League Cup and pushing for promotion. It means that we will always find something to complain about, because we are football fans, but when we look back on this season - irrespective of where we finish - we will see that the trend is up and not down, and if we  continue this gradual progression, who knows what next season, or the one after that, may bring?.  Or something like that anyway. 

Well translated! COYR 

23 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

He thinks we've forgotten how many transfer windows he said he needed on day one? 

I’m reasonably sure he said he needed three transfer windows before the team reflected how he wanted to play rather than that three transfer windows would guarantee us promotion. To be fair, I think between September and December he delivered on that. We now need to do it across a season, of course.

14 hours ago, Rich said:

We're three pillars erected, out of the five pillars planned. Where two more pillars will be erected is open to debate.

I know you’re making a joke but it has to be said that, for all the derision, the five pillars have been a massive success. The academy is bringing players through, the stadium and facilitied are much better, our finances are in better shape, our recruitment is way better than in 2010 or 2011 and, season ticket farrago aside, the club do much better community work.

16 hours ago, General Zod said:

It’s a shame Bristol Sport has just hit me with such a big increase in the cost of my season ticket for the privilege of watching another season of work in progress.  I’m alread looking forward to LJ seeing us through phase 4 and 5 as MA explains that promotion is not the plan.  Roll on season 19/20.

I would be bloody furious if our manager - or any manager of any club - did not see their job as a work of progress. If Lee Johnson was looking at a team in seventh placed in the second tier and did not think we could improve, that would be a massive concern. If we do not go up this season, there is a lot to work to do and we need to improve. If we do go up this season, there is a lot of work to do and we need to improve. Every time Pep Guardiola has won the league, he has continued to try and improve his team or - where that was not possible - quit to seek a new challenge elsewhere.

Any manager who does not think they need to improve their team is arrogant, complacent and should quit before they damage their club.

It has been a frustrating three months since we were doing so well at the end of December but, for the love of God, could supporters stop picking every bloody interview apart and seeing there is a problem? We started the season being tipped by many for relegation. It is extremely likely we will end it with our best finish for a decade and second best in 38 years.

It is bloody frustrating not to have maintained our challenge more successfully but I wish people would maintain a modicum of perspective. 

15 hours ago, Dave L said:

Your balance and perspective is wasted here Dave.

Beautifully written by the way. You should write scripts or something.

20 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

So, so far,no one seems to know what he is talking about.

Let's hope he does 

I’d have thought it was pretty obvious, what he means. 

We have made some progress, but there is still work to be done and plenty of room for improvement yet. Exactly right, imo. 

On 31/03/2018 at 08:34, Ivorguy said:

On 31/03/2018 at 08:46, tinman85 said:

It means I will talk a good game forever but always be at that level 

23 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

21 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Sorry ive ran out of likes so right

17 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

It means that he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about! 

Or how to get us playing as a a team again. 

Or how to to play away against those scrapping against relegation. 

Or how to play at home if the opposition park the bus. 

I could go on and on but haven't the time or the will to continue. 

16 hours ago, General Zod said:

It’s amazing just how stupid some posters on here are, with absolutely no sense of perspective and unable to understand simple explanations or descriptions of what stage things are at. 

No doubt the same people that mis-quote, twist or fail to grasp so much of what people say - yet probably the same ones who whine like little children when nobody tells them anything..! 

38 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

You think what he said means we are not trying to get promoted?

I’m sure the players want promotion But it is certainly not the main objective of Bristol Sport and the club this season and this view has been reinforced by a fairly uninspiring transfer window.  Do you think our activity this window was the action of a board determined to hammer home the advantage of our then league position?  I think the club has a longer term plan which results in baby steps towards promotion.  I’m not saying it’s bad it’s just the way it is and now that the majority of existing season ticket holders have no doubt renewed we will start seeing more noise from the club like LJ phase 4 and 5 opinion gradually managing our expectations for next season.

Archived