IGNORED

Bristol City v Brentford Match Day Thread 40 (Joint Effort - Merged)

No one stepping up to the plate today then? @Septic Peg @havanatopia 

In a nutshell. 

Brentford is Town on the West side of London in the borough of Hounslow. Named Brentford due to its location on the River Brent and it had ford crossing through the river. Exciting I know!

Bristol also has a river running through it. The river Avon. This has nothing to do with the City name of Bristol though. We do have one of Britain’s most famous architecture crossing the river though so it’s already 1-0 City. 

Onto to the football. Brentford are without the metronome Woods due to the humorous sending off against Sheff Utd. This could weaken them and they aren’t on the best of form currentry. The biggest problem I can see with Brentford today is Bentley. He’s a superb goalie and earned Brentford a point against Sheff Utd with 3 outstanding saves toward the end of the game. We have a poor record against the Bees. Our last League victory over them came in March 2007, we were at home in a 1-0 victory and I can see the same happening today. 

1-0 City. Djuric 

COYR

Pocahontas, contrary to myth, endured a tragic short life of just 21 years, dying in 1617 possibly of food poisoning and buried in Kent. She was born Matoaka meaning flower between two streams. She died while living in Brentford on the confluence of two rivers, the Thames and the Brent. In 705 todays Brentford was registered as Breguntford or 'The Ford over the River Brent' . The settlement, of sorts, actually predates London with significant bronze age evidence of pre-Romanic tribal meetings. 

Brentford has a truly fascinating history pre and post Pocahontas like so many of the teams we play which no doubt explains why the history and DNA of the football league is so enriched and so entrenched and so magnificently tempting to any buyer, often with more cash than sense. 

Like so many football clubs before and after them Brentford formed from another sporting club. In this case rowing, in 1889. The 1930's were the hay-day of the Bees; remarkably finishing 5th, 6th and 6th three seasons in succession in the top flight, 18th the following year before the war literally and figuratively disrupted their flow and, on return in 1946, were relegated in 21st of 22 places. They have never returned. I suspect David McCulloch, their top scorer for all 3 of those illustrious seasons, assumes pride of place in their own 'hall of fame'. In the 7 seasons following Brentford's relegation in 1946 they remained where they are now, in the second tier and their highest finish was 9th. This time around we all recall their 5th place finish when they stormed away near the top to reach the play offs at the first time of asking. In short Brentford are enjoying the strongest period in their history since the mid to late 1930's. 

And City must be wary of the injured pride of a team having picked up so few points in their last half a dozen matches. By the same token end winless tonight and City should really accept they are somewhat of an also ran in this play off malarky with only an outside chance of extending their season. They really need to give all of us a convincing display and elevate the team back into the play off zone and finish off Brentford's slim chances of having a say in those end of season shenanigans. Send Dean Smith home miserable City. 

30 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

In a nutshell. 

Brentford is Town on the West side of London in the borough of Hounslow. Named Brentford due to its location on the River Brent and it had ford crossing through the river. Exciting I know!

Bristol also has a river running through it. The river Avon. This has nothing to do with the City name of Bristol though. We do have one of Britain’s most famous architecture crossing the river though so it’s already 1-0 City. 

Onto to the football. Brentford are without the metronome Woods due to the humorous sending off against Sheff Utd. This could weaken them and they aren’t on the best of form currentry. The biggest problem I can see with Brentford today is Bentley. He’s a superb goalie and earned Brentford a point against Sheff Utd with 3 outstanding saves toward the end of the game. We have a poor record against the Bees. Our last League victory over them came in March 2007, we were at home in a 1-0 victory and I can see the same happening today. 

1-0 City. Djuric 

COYR

I was but a bit of research takes time. Oh well... no bother :) 

At least you got the title thread bang on.. nice one.

34 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Bristol also has a river running through it. The river Avon. This has nothing to do with the City name of Bristol though.

In Anglo Saxon Brig Stowe meant Bridge Town and then with our local accent, we stuck the letter L on the end to  make it Brigstowel and over the years the pronounciation changed slightly. Then in 1086 the Normans writing down place names for the Domesday Book wrote down what they thought they heard.

43 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

In a nutshell. 

1-0 City. Djuric 

COYR

@havanatopia always does the threads unless he asks me to step in.

However, I wouldn't have been able to today as I'm a little fragile (staggered through the door at 2am, very much inebriated) and I now have to visit my darling nieces and nephews that don't understand what the word 'quiet' means.

1-1 draw for City. Coyr. 

6 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

@havanatopia always does the threads unless he asks me to step in.

However, I wouldn't have been able to today as I'm a little fragile (staggered through the door at 2am, very much inebriated) and I now have to visit my darling nieces and nephews that don't understand what the word 'quiet' means.

1-1 draw for City. Coyr. 

Speedy recovery Peg! 

Here’s for 3 points today :drunk2:

27 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Pocahontas, contrary to myth, endured a tragic short life of just 21 years, dying in 1617 possibly of food poisoning and buried in Kent. She was born Matoaka meaning flower between two streams. She died while living in Brentford on the confluence of two rivers, the Thames and the Brent. In 705 todays Brentford was registered as Breguntford or 'The Ford over the River Brent' . The settlement, of sorts, actually predates London with significant bronze age evidence of pre-Romanic tribal meetings. 

Brentford has a truly fascinating history pre and post Pocahontas like so many of the teams we play which no doubt explains why the history and DNA of the football league is so enriched and so entrenched and so magnificently tempting to any buyer, often with more cash than sense. 

Like so many football clubs before and after them Brentford formed from another sporting club. In this case rowing, in 1889. The 1930's were the hay-day of the Bees; remarkably finishing 5th, 6th and 6th three seasons in succession in the top flight, 18th the following year before the war literally and figuratively disrupted their flow and, on return in 1946, were relegated in 21st of 22 places. They have never returned. I suspect David McCulloch, their top scorer for all 3 of those illustrious seasons, assumes pride of place in their own 'hall of fame'. In the 7 seasons following Brentford's relegation in 1946 they remained where they are now, in the second tier and their highest finish was 9th. This time around we all recall their 5th place finish when they stormed away near the top to reach the play offs at the first time of asking. In short Brentford are enjoying the strongest period in their history since the mid to late 1930's. 

And City must be wary of the injured pride of a team having picked up so few points in their last half a dozen matches. By the same token end winless tonight and City should really accept they are somewhat of an also ran in this play off malarky with only an outside chance of extending their season. They really need to give all of us a convincing display and elevate the team back into the play off zone and finish off Brentford's slim chances of having a say in those end of season shenanigans. Send Dean Smith home miserable City. 

You done it better 

:clapping:

39 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Add the 'Time to beat Brentford' thread to this official one?

Brentford pre match chat bedlam.

YDTD's 'good effort' match thread and @Barney red's scorching 'Time to beat Brentford' all to go under havana's official thread?

@El Hombrecito?

33 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Brentford pre match chat bedlam.

YDTD's 'good effort' match thread and @Barney red's scorching 'Time to beat Brentford' all to go under havana's official thread?

@El Hombrecito?

Merged the two match day threads... Haven't merged the other one though as newest posts always go first so it would bury the two main match day posts down on page three of the thread!

Results in recent weeks make today feel like it could be make or break if we are to have a realistic chance of making the play offs.

It amazes me that we still in touch after our run since the start of the year. That we are still in touch gives us hope but a win today is essential, as we can't keep relying n other results going in our favour and seem to have list all our form and momentum recently and just don't see that we could lift ourselves sufficiently to come back strongly if we manage another disappointing afternoon today.

This time last year we were embarking on promotion form to pull away from relegation. Just a shame we could't manage the same when promotion is the prize.

8 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Results in recent weeks make today feel like it could be make or break if we are to have a realistic chance of making the play offs.

It amazes me that we still in touch after our run since the start of the year. That we are still in touch gives us hope but a win today is essential, as we can't keep relying n other results going in our favour and seem to have list all our form and momentum recently and just don't see that we could lift ourselves sufficiently to come back strongly if we manage another disappointing afternoon today.

This time last year we were embarking on promotion form to pull away from relegation. Just a shame we could't manage the same when promotion is the prize.

But promotion is not the plan..

Massive game this. I would go as far as to say this is make or break for us

Win today, and it should be a massive mental boost for players and staff going into the final few games. Although results have improved of late...I still fancy our confidence is fragile. I still dont think the belief is completely there

Win today could go some way to restore that

Archived