IGNORED

LJ's improbable after match interview

Major Isewater

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not for me.

He is going to be Mr 98% pass completion, the problem is nearly all of them will be square, two yards long & in our half.

I worry we have signed someone who looked great in Academy football but is actually another Simon Clist, I reckon he won two tackles and was in their half about twice.

Can’t believe he stayed on the full 90, we effectively had a two man midfield today, instead of a four man one...

I don’t disagree, he didn’t gave a good game, but some posters make scapegoats of one or two players.  Why only 1 or 2 today? Today there were 4, 5, 6 others who they could’ve selected.  That’s the point I’m making.

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Just because someone isnt closing a player down as quickly as you would like doesnt mean they are not trying

So if a defender isn't closing an attacking player down, backing off or allowing the attacker time to choose a cross or pass to another attacking player, what are they trying to do? I'm not looking to argue with you, I guess it's just differing opinions of what I believe players should be trying to do. More often than not if players 'try' to put more pressure on the attacker it forces them to make errors.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not for me.

He is going to be Mr 98% pass completion, the problem is nearly all of them will be square, two yards long & in our half.

I worry we have signed someone who looked great in Academy football but is actually another Simon Clist, I reckon he won two tackles and was in their half about twice.

Can’t believe he stayed on the full 90, we effectively had a two man midfield today, instead of a four man one...

You're spot on Graham and however hard Walsh tried, he was overrun and was too lightweight to cope. Play Walsh in a three until he's baulked up then he may perform better, but that's unlikely this season. But why play the lad when O'Neill was fit, according to Twitter. And why was Pack left on the bench when we were crying out for a player to run with the ball and pass it.

Today was a meek surrender and 6-0 wouldn't have flattered Brentford.

Progress? Right now that seems like an apology.

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not for me.

I think people are being overly harsh on Walsh. What exactly do we expect of a lad who’s inexperienced, isn’t used to the level he was playing at and who hasn’t played at all to speak of in at least 2 months? Against a good side, in a team bereft of all shape and confidence? 

Yes he was poor but he wasn’t the only one by any stretch. And for me the fault lies squarely with Johnson for picking him and expecting anything else than the performance he got.

For what it’s worth I think Walsh has looked decent in some of his appearances since his arrival. But today he was fighting a losing battle from the start and that’s Johnson’s fault, not his. 

14 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

So if a defender isn't closing an attacking player down, backing off or allowing the attacker time to choose a cross or pass to another attacking player, what are they trying to do? I'm not looking to argue with you, I guess it's just differing opinions of what I believe players should be trying to do. More often than not if players 'try' to put more pressure on the attacker it forces them to make errors.

There will be the odd occassion where effort comes into it but I believe vast majority of not closing down is tactical or due to fatigue

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not for me.

Glad it’s not just me Graham !

Dont ever see him being a mainstay for us

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t disagree, he didn’t gave a good game, but some posters make scapegoats of one or two players.  Why only 1 or 2 today? Today there were 4, 5, 6 others who they could’ve selected.  That’s the point I’m making.

Actually thought he was better ( :blink:) today than he was when he started against Norwich Dave

thought he was poor / very poor today compared to abysmal against Norwich when he constantly kept demanding the ball before immediately giving it away 

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

only 4,5,6 it is not often that I come away from the game without a positive but today the only positive was I watched the Keith Stroud show. 

42 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not for me.

I think it is absolutely that, a PL Academy graduate who is neat and tidy but is unlikely to influence a game that much.

At our current level he is a bench warmer that can come on for the last 20 and be unlikely to do anything wrong.

He is not currently someone who is going to win you a game.

1 hour ago, Jacki said:

I think people are being overly harsh on Walsh. What exactly do we expect of a lad who’s inexperienced, isn’t used to the level he was playing at and who hasn’t played at all to speak of in at least 2 months?

To not get picked over someone who is experienced, used to the level and has been a regular.

Not his fault of course but the reason Walsh is being mentioned is because he was one of three changes, all of which were very dubious before kick off and none of which worked.

2 hours ago, Jacki said:

I think people are being overly harsh on Walsh. What exactly do we expect of a lad who’s inexperienced, isn’t used to the level he was playing at and who hasn’t played at all to speak of in at least 2 months? Against a good side, in a team bereft of all shape and confidence? 

Yes he was poor but he wasn’t the only one by any stretch. And for me the fault lies squarely with Johnson for picking him and expecting anything else than the performance he got.

For what it’s worth I think Walsh has looked decent in some of his appearances since his arrival. But today he was fighting a losing battle from the start and that’s Johnson’s fault, not his. 

He’s a seven figure signing bear in mind who was a main part (Capt Possibly ?) in Everton’s U23 side - he’s hardly an untried 17 year old

I expected more (even signs) from him than we’ve seen to date

21 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He’s a seven figure signing bear in mind who was a main part (Capt Possibly ?) in Everton’s U23 side - he’s hardly an untried 17 year old

I expected more (even signs) from him than we’ve seen to date

I think he played well in his early games. Looked decent v Norwich and Man City away and we’ve barely seen him since. It’s asking a lot of any player to stick him in after 2-3 months with no football to speak of and expect him to affect a game against a good team. 

I think Walsh will be a decent player in time. There’s just no way he should have started today. 

4 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I think he played well in his early games. Looked decent v Norwich and Man City away and we’ve barely seen him since. It’s asking a lot of any player to stick him in after 2-3 months with no football to speak of and expect him to affect a game against a good team. 

I think Walsh will be a decent player in time. There’s just no way he should have started today. 

Man City away he had a handful of touches and I though he was simply awaful against Norwich constantly demanding the ball to run the show and constantly giving it away to the frustration of a few teammates ( He actually tried to keep it simple and pass first time or two touc( mainly today which at least was better)

thought he’d be a really good signing but not quite what I expected tbh

Still plenty of time of course to develop and he may do but gut instinct for me is not convinced 

Just not convinced some of our seven figure ‘for the future’ recruits and their likely future success

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Man City away he had a handful of touches and I though he was simply awaful against Norwich constantly demanding the ball to run the show and constantly giving it away to the frustration of a few teammates ( He actually tried to keep it simple and pass first time or two touc( mainly today which at least was better)

thought he’d be a really good signing but not quite what I expected tbh

Walsh is exactly what his manager was as a player. Ineffective 

1 minute ago, tinman85 said:

Walsh is exactly what his manager was as a player. Ineffective 

Very similar as I said in another post but LJ played the continuity / always available role well IMO

I would say that is Walsh’s role if he indeed has one and he may have the coach who can educate him in that role (If he listens)

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Very similar as I said in another post but LJ played the continuity / always available role well IMO

I would say that is Walsh’s role if he indeed has one and he may have the coach who can educate him in that role (If he listens)

Think we could see a better Walsh in a 4-3-3 tbh.

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Like Taylor Moore - £1.5m signing, not a small fee...doubt he’ll get a look in soon...

And Eliasson...getting further away from playing.

Fair play to him today, he did the warm-up today, I wondered whether I’d misread the team sheet.  Good attitude I hope.

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

May be right 5here Mr P but we shouldn’t be considering a change of system to utilise him

Cant ever see him ousting Pack or Smith or playing in a central 2 with success

Yeah, don't disagree Bob- that's one of the tradeoffs LJ would have to consider, e.g. should we switch sytstem to utilise Kent and Walsh- i.e. are they good enough to justify? Probably not.

Personally, I think the central 2 in general has had its day, but not to get Walsh in- certainly not as a primary reason to shoehorn him in. Brownhill Smith Pack in a 3- Walsh as a first reserve, perhaps Hegeler between the back 4 at midfield at the base and lastly O'Neil with his nous in certain games to try to shut up shop towards the end- is my thinking on it at this time, with this squad.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And Eliasson...getting further away from playing.

Fair play to him today, he did the warm-up today, I wondered whether I’d misread the team sheet.  Good attitude I hope.

Spot on mate - as I’ve said on here before, it’s the league one champions boys who are pulling us through...LJs signings have been mostly ineffective...

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Like Taylor Moore - £1.5m signing, not a small fee...doubt he’ll get a look in soon...

I’d have a bet that we don’t ever see Moore or Engvall in a Championship fixture - if that transpired  that’s over 4 million outlay with little return and a big  £ loss 

Add Elliason Who is yet to show whether he will come to fruition plus the decent sums spent on Hinds Bakinson etc - plus the money (Any loan fees and wages ) wasted on Matthews , Woodrow ; Leko , Kent , Diony etc and for a Club wanting to be self sufficient we have punted a lot of money with a decent return in performances or profit on only one to date (Fortunately a decent profit) in Kodja

Lee will need to start turning  some of these signings into influential first team players at some point for the philposophy to show that we have the right people in place to have any chance of  it working

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, don't disagree Bob- that's one of the tradeoffs LJ would have to consider, e.g. should we switch sytstem to utilise Kent and Walsh- i.e. are they good enough to justify? Probably not.

Personally, I think the central 2 in general has had its day, but not to get Walsh in- certainly not as a primary reason to shoehorn him in. Brownhill Smith Pack in a 3- Walsh as a first reserve, perhaps Hegeler between the back 4 at midfield at the base and lastly O'Neil with his nous in certain games to try to shut up shop towards the end- is my thinking on it at this time, with this squad.

It sounds drastic but I’d be working towards quite a ruthless cut and rebuild

Id move on Hegeler , O Neil , Engvall asap if I could plus  , Matty Taylor , and be open to offers for Bailey Wright and even for decent money Famara (Tin hat on)  and reuse the funds to sign one or two quality additions

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d have a bet that we don’t ever see Moore or Engvall in a Championship fixture - if that transpired  that’s over 4 million outlay with little return and a big  £ loss 

Add Elliason Who is yet to show whether he will come to fruition plus the decent sums spent on Hinds Bakinson etc - plus the money (Any loan fees and wages ) wasted on Matthews , Woodrow ; Leko , Kent , Diony etc and for a Club wanting to be self sufficient we have punted a lot of money with a decent return in performances or profit (Fortunately a decent profit) in Kodja

Lee will need to start turning  some of these signings into influential first team players at some point for the philposophy to show that we have the right people in place to have any chance of  it working

I still hold hope for Moore....I might be the only one though.

Weve spent vast amounts against a strategy of self sufficiency.  Plenty on here will argue that the market is bonkers. 

I can handle £5m on a double digit striker, £2.5m on Tomlin, £2,5m on Kodjia.....it’s the £1-1.8m spent on players who get further away from the first team the longer they are here.

Tonight is a bad night to be on Otib, but it is as civilised as I’ve ever seen it.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Id move on Hegeler , O Neil , Engvall asap if I could plus  , Matty Taylor , and be open to offers for Bailey Wright and even for decent money Famara (Tin hat on)  and reuse the funds to sign one or two quality additions

Don’t disagree.  If Johnson thinks Diedhiou isn’t helping our style, then I would expect us to make money on him.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still hold hope for Moore....I might be the only one though.

You may be right Dave -the fact he’s out at a L1 Club  concerns me but he may suddenly blossom - only those watching him closely can form an opinion - but hope you’re right :fingerscrossed:

We've spent vast amounts against a strategy of self sufficiency.  Plenty on here will argue that the market is bonkers. 

I can handle £5m on a double digit striker, £2.5m on Tomlin, £2,5m on Kodjia.....it’s the £1-1.8m spent on players who get further away from the first team the longer they are here.

Totally agree

As far as the bonkers market - it can be but Preston , Brentford seem to get much more value for money Brentford are a great example -I was willingbus to go for Woods when he was att Shrewsbury and many willed us to go for Watkins who I thought looked real quality today (Reminded me of Dele AlI)  and I kept highlighting Jack Marriot when he first broke through at Luton (Not sure if he’ll make it at Championship level but he’s banging them in for Peterborough and wouldn’t have cost much more than we paid for Hinds)

Still plenty of  value signings around if you can recognise a player and how he will fit

I wish we would as a general rule be looking at young players already playing in  this country / Ireland where possible  - less hit and miss IMHO

Tonight is a bad night to be on Otib, but it is as civilised as I’ve ever seen it.

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Definitely deadwood to be culled- Engvall won't work out, O'Neil is aging, Hegeler doesn't fit the system. Taylor last year...had assists and created problems with his movement/work rate at times, even if he wasn't prolific but for me a key problem was his assists as well as goals dried up. That happens as a striker, you're useless in a sense- I think a second striker who can provide assists is still a useful asset to have, but he barely has this season. Wright and Famara...good depth IMO, but at the same time maybe assets with resale value.

My 4-3-3 idea was mainly a quickish fix, maybe one last shot of energy and revitalization to try to kick into some- different style- but form to scramble to playoffs in the last 6 games. I also do think that next season, 4-3-3 could really help us too though.

Archived