IGNORED

Frankie's distribution

City Cat

I actually felt sorry for Frankie today as once again his kicking produced numerous arse twitching moments for the crowd. Obviously he and the club would have been working hard to improve this on the training ground but it's almost like a psychological problem. Such a shame for him (and us) as he has to be one of the best shot stoppers in the division. Maybe hypnotherapy could be an option?

stock-vector-cartoon-hypnotist-doctor-with-big-eyes-1014114850.jpg

He did make two unbelievable reflex saves though, helped out once by a superb bit of play by Brownhill.

However as more than 50% of his outfield team mates were absolutely shite today he really is the least of our current worries.

I'm pretty sure that atleast 50% of the tidal wave of their attacks came direct from his kicking - which went either straight out of play or to one of their players. I've never seen a goalie with such poor distribution.

His clearing/distributing under pressure wasn't bad, yes squeaky bum a couple of times but didn't get caught so job done. Only 2 of his kicks (I think, the one from hand an obvious miss kick and one went over Bryan's head) went to touch today so an interesting choice of games to bring it up, he's had far worse performances when it comes to distribution. In fact there were quite a few times he dinked the ball wide to a full back neatly. If Frankie could distribute better he'd probably still be playing in the premier league, we have to accept a championship keeper is going to lack in an area or two, unless we manage to catch a young keeper before they reach the premier league. 

3 minutes ago, Cardy said:

I'm pretty sure that atleast 50% of the tidal wave of their attacks came direct from his kicking - which went either straight out of play or to one of their players. I've never seen a goalie with such poor distribution.

O’Donnell, Giefer, Basso. 

Theres 3 for you. 

I could name you quite a few in this league that are worse than him distribution wise also. 

44 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Don't let's go there again.

Lets instead hope we sign a decent Championship goalie in the summer

We already have one, his distribution isn’t great but he’s won us so many points this season and without him it would have been 4 or 5 today, one of the leagues best shot stoppers

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Don't let's go there again.

Lets instead hope we sign a decent Championship goalie in the summer

Can I ask do you actually attend many games and see what happens ? FF has been really consistent and without checking stats I think is within the top 5 clean sheets in the championship? Am sure you will correct me if I’m wrong. 

Luke Steele is a really competent championship keeper and has not been considered good enough to replace FF. On the basis that our coaches and goalkeeping coach see all our keepers each day in training I’m happy with both Frankie bring first choice and us having a really good back when needed. 

6 hours ago, allyolly said:

Can I ask do you actually attend many games and see what happens ? FF has been really consistent and without checking stats I think is within the top 5 clean sheets in the championship? Am sure you will correct me if I’m wrong. 

Luke Steele is a really competent championship keeper and has not been considered good enough to replace FF. On the basis that our coaches and goalkeeping coach see all our keepers each day in training I’m happy with both Frankie bring first choice and us having a really good back when needed. 

I agree mate. I guess my original post was actually subliminal praise for Frankie and I did make the point about his shot stopping qualities. Just for the record I have seen most home games in recent years and many away, including Preston a couple of weeks ago. :chant6ez:

8 hours ago, allyolly said:

I don't think anyone is saying his shot stopping and overall saves aren't great, it's just that he can't seem to kick well. Swings and roundabouts he's got a great attributes in one area but isn't great in another, if he was he probably wouldn't be at Bristol 

1 hour ago, Super said:

His passing was certainly better than Flint and Wright at the back. Pathetic the pair of them. They should all learn from the Brentford keeper who was superb.

Just buy him to begin with 

12 hours ago, hodge said:

His clearing/distributing under pressure wasn't bad, yes squeaky bum a couple of times but didn't get caught so job done. Only 2 of his kicks (I think, the one from hand an obvious miss kick and one went over Bryan's head) went to touch today so an interesting choice of games to bring it up, he's had far worse performances when it comes to distribution. In fact there were quite a few times he dinked the ball wide to a full back neatly. If Frankie could distribute better he'd probably still be playing in the premier league, we have to accept a championship keeper is going to lack in an area or two, unless we manage to catch a young keeper before they reach the premier league. 

He gave the ball away nearly 50% of the time (47% according to stats). That is not his worst because sometimes he can go over 70%..

In  a team which evidently focusses on possession is that good enough?

Is that good enough for a team that evidently builds from the back?

What successful team builds from the back and has a Keeper who consistently gives the ball away?

If City are to be this passing team they may be interesting questions for others beyond yourself. Frank Fielding's poor distribution has to have a massive impact on the way the team plays,.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He has a 55.5% passing accuracy in the League this season- which is in fact a big improvement on the last 2 years!

Still, it's not amazing for the modern game- but it's not bad at this level, and he has many strengths- he does us proud IMO.

V how the team plays. Teams that play out have Keepers 20% above that. In the Premier league it is 30% higher.

But what is the impact on the way the team  plays out and defends?. In a team that plays through the thirds Keepers should be joining in regularly, becoming an option. Frank Fielding is often a bystander. Yesterday he touched the ball barely at all outside of the box in a team playing high lines (City anymore?) that frequently would be in double figures, for Keepers.

Bristol City are supposedly a passing football team with a Keeper who can't, won't or is instructed not too (that much).

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

V how the team plays. Teams that play out have Keepers 20% above that. In the Premier league it is 30% higher.

But what is the impact on the way the team  plays out and defends?. In a team that plays through the thirds Keepers should be joining in regularly, becoming an option. Frank Fielding is often a bystander. Yesterday he touched the ball barely at all outside of the box in a team playing high lines (City anymore?) that frequently would be in double figures, for Keepers.

Bristol City are supposedly a passing football team with a Keeper who can't, won't or is instructed not too (that much).

Looking medium to long term, to progress in this direction- yeah, we need a keeper with better distribution- or ideally, Fielding would need to improve his distribution by say 5-10%? So up to 60-65%, but I really don't see it as an issue at this moment in time.

Definitely though, it's an increasingly important part of the game and to move in this direction of high lines, passing, pressing and the like- we need as many players as comfortable on the ball as possible.

13 hours ago, City Cat said:

I actually felt sorry for Frankie today as once again his kicking produced numerous arse twitching moments for the crowd. Obviously he and the club would have been working hard to improve this on the training ground but it's almost like a psychological problem. Such a shame for him (and us) as he has to be one of the best shot stoppers in the division. Maybe hypnotherapy could be an option?

stock-vector-cartoon-hypnotist-doctor-with-big-eyes-1014114850.jpg

I'll do most things for a City win but there's no way I'm undergoing hypnotherapy to get past Frankie's arse-twitching moments.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Looking medium to long term, to progress in this direction- yeah, we need a keeper with better distribution- or ideally, Fielding would need to improve his distribution by say 5-10%? So up to 60-65%, but I really don't see it as an issue at this moment in time.

Definitely though, it's an increasingly important part of the game and to move in this direction of high lines, passing, pressing and the like- we need as many players as comfortable on the ball as possible.

Bristol Citys style is linear (or was). It is playing through the thirds. A is Frankie and defenders. A move the ball to B then to C. The development is proximal to each individuals ability. B and C are dependant on the way the ball fluently moves out of A. 

Frank Fielding inability affects massively that development. If Bristol City are to move to this modern style people think the team plays (it does not) the Keepers distribution is a primary building block. 

Frank Fieldings distribution costs the team points and potential. 

Has to be the worst distributor of the ball I've ever seen. Agreed he is a good shot stopper but isn't that the main task of a goalkeeper? The modern game calls for goalkeepers to be able to use their feet and think quickly allowing the team to counter attack. I obviously don't expect him to be as good as GKs like Ederson at doing so, but when it takes him an age to finally kick it out, you can't not help get frustrated as you see it fly over Bryan's head and into the dug out.

Sign a new GK in the summer.

Archived