IGNORED

Liam Walsh

Dr Balls

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

Wouldn't excel at all. Sooner have Hegeler than him in a three. A poor signing. 

We got a glimpse of what he can do at Man City away when playing in a midfield of 3 CM's, with Pack as well there's less defensive pressure on him so he can get forward more without worrying about being hit on the counter. 

I thought that he showed some good touches and if one had to point to (comparative) positives from the match, he showed real potential. Yes, he’s not got the experience or nouse of Pack/Smith but I do see him as having a decent career in the Championship.

It’s appreciated that the team as a whole played poorly and the midfield was outclassed by the opposition. I thought that the problem was that most 50:50 challenges were won by Brentford.

Would I start him against Millwall? No.  But he’s got a decent future- hopefully here.

I thought he was no worse than the average City player, put in a few decent tackles , in the second half and retained the ball more than average for our players yesterday. Not that that's saying much.

But the problem is having a tiny, not particularly defensive central MF doesn't suit our style of play. He wasn't what we want. He is a square peg trying to fit the proverbial round hole. 

You might remember another such tiny, not very physical MF not really fitting in with the team's attacking intent at the club before. Now what was that player's name? ...   :cool2:

He tried but the fact of the matter is, he shouldn’t have started alongside Smith. Could potentially understand Pack alongside him but that was an awful decision by LJ that midfield was bound to get overrun. With potentially a couple of new midfielders coming in next season a L1 loan would do him the world of good.

3 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Flints header in the first half was one - no idea about the other.

After lengthy debate in a bar we concluded it had to be Bobby's misplaced cross to Fam from the goal line left of the Atyeo end goal.

That seemed the nearest thing to a second shot......

Back to topic, for what it's worth, I think in two or three years time we might think more kindly of Liam Walsh. Like everyone says, he needs time and opportunities - but maybe chosen more carefully from above.

15 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Think he will be very good next season, however probably won’t play again this season after that. 

And we thought the same about Brownhill and O'Dowda, when they came. Now look at them. 

Walsh will be find next season. 

7 hours ago, winsaw said:

Best thing the club could have done was send him out to somewhere in league 1, let him learn to play man's football, for someone who's hole football life bar a handful of games has been in youth football yesterday must have been a shock to him,

And a game like that dose nothing for his conference or learning, I can see there a good footballer there but he's not ready for the experienced pros he's going to find each week in the championship,

I have never seen a game pass a player by so much before, hopefully he's off to Cheltenham in the summer for a year of toughening up

On the basis of what we've seen so far, best thing he could have done was not to sign him.

Big Sam wouldn't have let Walsh go if he was as good as some made him out to be.

7 hours ago, winsaw said:

Best thing the club could have done was send him out to somewhere in league 1, let him learn to play man's football, for someone who's hole football life bar a handful of games has been in youth football yesterday must have been a shock to him,

And a game like that dose nothing for his conference or learning, I can see there a good footballer there but he's not ready for the experienced pros he's going to find each week in the championship,

I have never seen a game pass a player by so much before, hopefully he's off to Cheltenham in the summer for a year of toughening up

why spend a million quid in January on someone we would need to do that with? If we do it at all based on potential it shoud be done in the beginning of the close season when the youngster can have a couple of months getting used to the club before going out on loan for experience.

Just now, cheshire_red said:

why spend a million quid in January on someone we would need to do that with? If we do it at all based on potential it shoud be done in the beginning of the close season when the youngster can have a couple of months getting used to the club before going out on loan for experience.

Engvall on  his fifth cycle of that !!

:yes:

18 hours ago, Bobby Bollax said:

What a way to talk about a 20 year old lad making his way in the game.

grow a spine 

If he was 28, we`d signed him from another championship side and he`d played 300 games at this level that poster would have said `not bad, I can see him fitting in and being important for the rest of the season` based on exactly the same performance.

It`s all about buying `experience` you see. You can`t possibly be successful unless you`re `experienced`. If you need proof of this just look at the way Cameron Jerome is tearing it up at Derby.

FWIW I thought Liam wasn`t too bad.

Archived