IGNORED

Team for Millwall

sglosbcfc

I don't think the question of who plays is as important as for the coaching staff to have developed a viable game plan, and a further two fallback plans, that these have been properly communicated to the chosen 11, that the 11 have been man managed in a way that gives them a winning mentality when they take to the pitch, and that the player chosen to be captain has been properly briefed on what his duties are.

In other words I don't feel our present plight is principally down to the players who performed well before Christmas. For all 11 to have lost the plot at the same time simply because they are tired, or 'unloved', or out of form simply doesn't add up.

So it is over to you LJ.

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

I don't think the question of who plays is as important as for the coaching staff to have developed a viable game plan, and a further two fallback plans, that these have been properly communicated to the chosen 11, that the 11 have been man managed in a way that gives them a winning mentality when they take to the pitch, and that the player chosen to be captain has been properly briefed on what his duties are.

In other words I don't feel our present plight is principally down to the players who performed well before Christmas. For all 11 to have lost the plot at the same time simply because they are tired, or 'unloved', or out of form simply doesn't add up.

So it is over to you LJ.

I think this is interesting.

Plan A was good...Plan A+ was good, but we did not IMO develop a proper Plan B, let alone a variant therein or indeed a Plan C in the summer- had a feeling of eggs in one basket in this sense to me. 

Though it has ultimately been a good season with strong progress, and could yet become an excellent season- and if we win the playoffs a brilliant season- the lack of built-in or ability to deviate from the Plan A (except when injuries forced the hand a bit in the Autumn with 4-4-1-1 a Plan A+ in a sense) concerns me a bit.

My boring head says:

Fielding

Pisano, Flint, Baker, Kelly

Brownhill, Smith, Pack, Bryan

Paterson, Reid (neither as a true striker)

However, imho, whoever we play has to put pressure on the first ball forward so that Morison and Gregory don’t get cheap ball to either effect the game themselves, or get Wallace and Marshall (wideman) on the ball in advanced positions.  I trust Smith and Pack to not let Saville and Williams run past them.  Re Smith and Pack, if we play a 442/4420, then they must play side by side, not one behind the other.  In a 4141, I’m happy with Pack as the holder.  When Pack plays behind Smith, the opposition central two can pass it around Smith.  Or the 2 wideman get dragged narrow to help Smith, and the opposition full-backs push on and double up with Marshall and Wallace against our full-backs.  It’s a difficult selection, because we need Pack to screen in front of our back 2.

If we can stop their front two getting easy balls in, then we need to contest the second ball.  That may be where the game is won or lost.

But how do we impose ourselves on them (too much emphasis on their strengths above!).

Firstly we need to have willing runners from our forward(s) But also midfield.  We need to turn them round and squeeze up behind them.  Get our foothold on the game and play in their half, from Good starting positions.  Play from the back when necessary, but not foolishly.

If we are going to have Djúric on the bench then also have Eliasson.  We need someone to stand a ball up, like Kelly did v Ipswich.

The boring team I picked above needs to run their proverbial bollox off for each other, like they did v Man City (away).  If a player tires, change him.  We won’t beat Millwall without a 100% energetic performance.

On an aside, if we don’t match up their 442, I wouldn’t mind seeing an adventurous 352 of:

Fielding

Pisano, Flint, Baker (or Kelly)

Reid

Djuric, Diedhiou

...and hit direct angled balls into our front two.

I doubt either team will be what LJ picks though.

On 4/3/2018 at 22:09, gavlin said:

We are playing Millwall a long ball team with big six foot defenders at the back. We will need to play the ball forward and have players that hold it up. Reid and Paterson will get bundled of the ball to easy. That's why I would play Fame and Duric up front with Reid and Paterson in the hole playing off them.  I not talking long ball it could be along the ground. The problem when we played them at home was the ball kept coming back at us because we could not hold the ball up once it went forward.

I don't think we are a long ball team. We go direct, but never aimlessly. In this era of everyone from Bournemouth to Barnet trying to emulate Barcelona (and now Manchester City) I think football fans have forgotten (or are not old enough to remember) that before Pep & before Arsene Wenger, Manchester United played very attractive and exciting football with a 442 formation and by getting it forward early. Keane or Ince won it in the middle and got it wide to Giggs or Kanchelskis, who hit the afterburners and crossed it in for Huges to head it in or flick it on to Cantona to smash it home. I will always remember watching United beat Sheffield United in the FA Cup by coming from behind playing that kind of direct, non-sense football - I defy anyone to watch it on YouTube etc. and not enjoy it or scoff at it as 'long ball'.

I tell what we do like to do, is surrender possession of the ball and hit teams on the break (yes, maybe with a long ball out to the wings) - back before Pep, this was called counter-attack football. One of the posters alluded to it on here when discussing the approach you should take to the game. The only defeats we have suffered at home this season are to Ipswich, Burton and Barnsley - and they all set up to let us have the ball, not them. To be fair to Harris he has noticed that others then tried this (Forest last home game), but countered it by simply hitting them with crosses right from the off - we scored after 27 seconds. We've scored 4 times in the first minute by adjusting to this tactic. 

10 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

I don't think we are a long ball team. We go direct, but never aimlessly. In this era of everyone from Bournemouth to Barnet trying to emulate Barcelona (and now Manchester City) I think football fans have forgotten (or are not old enough to remember) that before Pep & before Arsene Wenger, Manchester United played very attractive and exciting football with a 442 formation and by getting it forward early. Keane or Ince won it in the middle and got it wide to Giggs or Kanchelskis, who hit the afterburners and crossed it in for Huges to head it in or flick it on to Cantona to smash it home. I will always remember watching United beat Sheffield United in the FA Cup by coming from behind playing that kind of direct, non-sense football - I defy anyone to watch it on YouTube etc. and not enjoy it or scoff at it as 'long ball'.

I tell what we do like to do, is surrender possession of the ball and hit teams on the break (yes, maybe with a long ball out to the wings) - back before Pep, this was called counter-attack football. One of the posters alluded to it on here when discussing the approach you should take to the game. The only defeats we have suffered at home this season are to Ipswich, Burton and Barnsley - and they all set up to let us have the ball, not them. To be fair to Harris he has noticed that others then tried this (Forest last home game), but countered it by simply hitting them with crosses right from the off - we scored after 27 seconds. We've scored 4 times in the first minute by adjusting to this tactic. 

Unfortunately for us - and fortunately for you - we struggle most against teams that let us have the ball and hit us on the break. I fear we may be in for a long afternoon...

I sincerely hope that LJ doesn't overthink/complicate his selection as he did against the Bees. 

To me the uncertainly is the CB position and up top.

I expect we'll see

FF

Piano, Baker/Wright Flint Bryan

Brownhill, Smith, Pack, Paterson

Famara Reid.

Subs, Kelly, Kent,Walsh, Djuric and possibly CoD and GoN

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My boring head says:

Fielding

Pisano, Flint, Baker, Kelly

Paterson, Reid (neither as a true striker)

However, imho, whoever we play has to put pressure on the first ball forward so that Morison and Gregory don’t get cheap ball to either effect the game themselves, or get Wallace and Marshall (wideman) on the ball in advanced positions.  I trust Smith and Pack to not let Saville and Williams run past them.  Re Smith and Pack, if we play a 442/4420, then they must play side by side, not one behind the other.  In a 4141, I’m happy with Pack as the holder.  When Pack plays behind Smith, the opposition central two can pass it around Smith.  Or the 2 wideman get dragged narrow to help Smith, and the opposition full-backs push on and double up with Marshall and Wallace against our full-backs.  It’s a difficult selection, because we need Pack to screen in front of our back 2.

If we can stop their front two getting easy balls in, then we need to contest the second ball.  That may be where the game is won or lost.

But how do we impose ourselves on them (too much emphasis on their strengths above!).

Firstly we need to have willing runners from our forward(s) But also midfield.  We need to turn them round and squeeze up behind them.  Get our foothold on the game and play in their half, from Good starting positions.  Play from the back when necessary, but not foolishly.

If we are going to have Djúric on the bench then also have Eliasson.  We need someone to stand a ball up, like Kelly did v Ipswich.

The boring team I picked above needs to run their proverbial bollox off for each other, like they did v Man City (away).  If a player tires, change him.  We won’t beat Millwall without a 100% energetic performance.

On an aside, if we don’t match up their 442, I wouldn’t mind seeing an adventurous 352 of:

Fielding

Pisano, Flint, Baker (or Kelly)

Reid

Djuric, Diedhiou

...and hit direct angled balls into our front two.

I doubt either team will be what LJ picks though.

I quite like the look of that second line-up. One of my concerns is that Millwall will dominate us physically, so having both Djuric and Diedhiou in the side would go some way to counter that, with the energetic Reid finding space around them.

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I sincerely hope that LJ doesn't overthink/complicate his selection as he did against the Bees. 

I expect we'll see

FF

Famara Reid.

Would play into Millwall's hands that IMO. As it did at AG in August- exact team we played at home to Millwall in the 0-0 and we were lucky to get the 0-0.

@Piccolo My thinking exactly. Shore it up, 4-3-3, in our case- go out to have less possession than usual and wait for some inevitable gaps to open up.

The quick ball forward early goal v Forest...what's jkey there from our POV is trying to weather the storm, 10-15 minutes of pure solidity and if a break arises- go for it! Best to gain a foothold and 'earn the right to play' in a game like this I think.

Again I’d drop Diedhiou as he disrupts our play. Nothing against the lad as I thought he did well on Monday, probably the best out of a bad bunch! But he doesn’t suit our movement. 

I think our best bet is to play Pato and Reid. The movement from both players caused all sort of problems earlier on in the season, so I’d like to see us get back to old ways. That’s what made us so dangerous and I feel with Diedhiou in the side, it makes our play a little too predictable.

No more long balls, get it on the deck and cause Millwall problems. We’re more than capable.

On 03/04/2018 at 08:56, Top Robin said:

I think the reason for having Reid up front and Patterson in behind in the No 10 role is because that's when we played our best football a few months ago. Patterson can almost drift between that No 10 free role where he is best and can create and also help out in midfield when required. Just gives our midfield a bit more support and resilience which was clearly lacking yesterday and in previous games.

Thats providing pattersons up for it and dont go hiding 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

I expect we'll see

FF

Famara Reid.

I'd drop Kent even from the bench. Better off playing one of the development squad. Or me!

Think se should pay five in the midfield and one fw. Kent, no no no. Maybe Odowda is starting. Kelly lb, Bryan in front. Pack back. Eliasson at least on the bench. We have been awful last two games, we can best Millwall, they are not Barca. A win and we still are in the race. Always believe, COYR!!!

17 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

3-5-2

Fielding

Wright    Flint     Baker

Brownhill      Smith      Pack    O'Neill     Bryan

Reid      Diedhiou 

Can't see this at all. In the words of Mike Bassett England manager " we'll be playing 4-4 - F****** 2 " 

I don't think it will matter what team we play.  It is clear from Saturday performance that they have given up!  LJ saying they were out-battled, there was no attempt at battling, more bottling than battling.  I was sat there in the first half thinking Brentford looked poor and there for the taking, but we just didn't care and kept on giving the ball away.  Not one shot on target and Kent ffs, what a complete waste of time. I have given up hope of play offs and we just aren't good enough right now.  I don't know what has gone wrong, but clearly the players have given up!

We should forget all loanees and give our lads a chance, especially Elliason and hope O Dowda is ready.  Kelly has got to play and get the experience he needs for next season.

I hope I am proved wrong and would love to see us beat Milwall, but just can't see it.  We will also struggle to beat Birmingham as well, given their upturn in form.

15 minutes ago, South stander said:

I don't think it will matter what team we play.  It is clear from Saturday performance that they have given up!  LJ saying they were out-battled, there was no attempt at battling, more bottling than battling.  I was sat there in the first half thinking Brentford looked poor and there for the taking, but we just didn't care and kept on giving the ball away.  Not one shot on target and Kent ffs, what a complete waste of time. I have given up hope of play offs and we just aren't good enough right now.  I don't know what has gone wrong, but clearly the players have given up!

We should forget all loanees and give our lads a chance, especially Elliason and hope O Dowda is ready.  Kelly has got to play and get the experience he needs for next season.

I hope I am proved wrong and would love to see us beat Milwall, but just can't see it.  We will also struggle to beat Birmingham as well, given their upturn in form.

Eliasson can do no worse then the others. Give him a chance. 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Eliasson on the pitch at the same point as Djúric at some point during the game.

Likewise. 

Prefer though:-

Flint

Flint   Flint  Flint  Flint

Flint

Flint  Flint  Flint

Flint

Flint

On 4 April 2018 at 12:35, Mr Popodopolous said:

More likely overrun, because we had 2 in there vs a technical side IMO! Brentford's two- McEachran and Mokotjo were the same height as our 2, when we look at them as a pair. So I think that side of it is a bit of a red herring, personally.

Given Brentford played 4-2-3-1, it could be argued that they had 3 in there as Sawyers quite capable of shutting between the 2. 

• McEachran- 5 ft 10
  • Mokotjo- 5 ft 6.
  • If we include Sawyers- and being part of the 3rd band, that is to say the middle one in the 'three' behind the striker, 6 ft 1.

Set against us:

• Smith- 6 ft.
  • Walsh- 5 ft 5.

Total red herring in some ways. We were outfootballed and out tacticed and that's why we lost the game and moreover were battered in all but the scoreline.

Korey Smith 6ft?!

That would make Pack about 6ft8 & Flint about 7ft!!

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Eliasson on the pitch at the same point as Djúric at some point during the game.

Have they actually played at the same time for us?? Arguably the winger with the best delivery and our best header of the ball, yet they're barely seen in the same place at the same time. Bizarre.

7 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Have they actually played at the same time for us?? Arguably the winger with the best delivery and our best header of the ball, yet they're barely seen in the same place at the same time. Bizarre.

They are the same person..! 

Archived