IGNORED

Why did we not start with Baker and Pack?

cidered abroad

I'm puzzled especially about Baker. Has there been a falling out between Baker and LJ?

Baker thought he was fit enough to last 90 minutes at Burton but had to be subbed at half time. Was LJ angry at this? Barnsley's second goal was partly due to Baker imitating a statue while the player came through on to the pass and scored? Why did LJ choose a right footed CB at left centre back in preference to Baker?

Pack is a wholehearted performer who has improved a lot since his arrival. I personally think he's reached his limit and we need better quality to take us to the next stage.  

Why was he subbed at Barnsley? Poor decision by LJ or something else behind it? Walsh looks as if he has a future at this level but is clearly not ready for games where we are trying to recover confidence and form after three months of inept team performances, to claw our way back into the top six.

LJ has talked about having lots of 85% fit players and not enough 100% fit players, maybe Baker and Pack are 85%? But having sat through the game away at Brentford earlier in the season the coaches should have known what to expect, we did. putting out the side we did was just plain crazy and really deserves an explanation. Most of the people there on Saturday were questioning the selection, either LJ knows stuff we don't or there really is a plan to stay in the Championship for next season.

Or: why didn't we start with O'Neill and / or Hegeler?

If we want to give up on promotion this season (I think it's too early to do that still) and prepare for next season then why not go further with the experimentation? Play Kelly, Eliasson and Diony (might not stay, but how do we know how good he can be?) as well as Walsh. Give as many of the u23s as might be in contention next season a game.

If we're not giving up and are serious about trying to make the top 6 then why put a kid in who's not yet pulled up any trees when you have experienced players who've played in the top divisions of England and Germany? It's fair to say that they might not have the energy of Walsh but one of the benefits of experienced players is that they don't panic at this stage of the season and they know what needs to be done.

Obvious that Baker isn’t really 100% fit, we had little choice but to risk him at Barnsley because Flint was still banned & Hörður is injured.

I have no idea why he was on the bench yesterday though, because we didn’t use him even when we subbed our left sided CB.

Rumour was Pack was carrying a knock yesterday but he was warming up and looked likely to come on when Paterson did, but in the end wasn’t used.

The Pack bit of this is just baffling.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I did wonder if the presence of card-happy Mr Stroud was another reason Johnson didn't risk Baker.  He was the ref who sent him off against QPR, something I'm sure Nathan hasn't forgotten or forgiven.

This was my initial thought. But if that’s the case, it’s pretty poor.

Pack was warming up right in front of us. He has some kind of straps around his thighs and calf's when doing so, looked like he was carrying a bit of a knock and trying to stretch it out

Maybe he wasn't 100%, no point risking him yesterday, it was just one of those days. As for Baker, Flint was always going to come back in, Wright is skipper - in my head he was always going to be the odd man out

Archived