IGNORED

SL Standing Ovation Yesterday

tinman85

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If SL made a point of standing up to applaud them all off, apparently determined to visibly show appreciation and support to players and manager alike after one of most inept City performances I've ever seen, them we truly are a cosy club heading nowhere.

This is my point exactly. Not expecting him to boo. Funnily enough I don't boo. Waste of time. But for anyone, fans, owners, players whoever to clap the players after that dire dire performance is strange. 

On 03/04/2018 at 21:34, MC RISK77 said:

What are you talking about? Why don’t you just think before you post....easiest job in football? Please justify this comment with fact before you post such moronic nonsense, I am sure you would have found it easy to come through last seasons poor run and turn it into a fantastic season this year. You have no clue as you’re posting history and feedback dictates whatsoever about how football is played or run. Look forward to hearing the comments around the easiest job in football.

Please see comments below. 

10 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Please see comments below. 

You just agreed with what someone else said...absolutely no substance whatsoever in you’re waffle yet again. You have no idea of the pressures any manager is under including Lee Johnson. I will ask you a question that only requires a very straight answer.

If you were in Steve Lansdown’s position would you sack Lee Johnson?

You seem to suggest it in all the multiple non-sensical threads you start, even suggesting he should speak to dean smith last saturday.

6 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

You just agreed with what someone else said...absolutely no substance whatsoever in you’re waffle yet again.

That poster was me, so I feel I can step in and answer this.

Saying LJ has the easiest job in English football really wasn't waffle, it stands to reason, and the reasons behind this thinking have been laid out above.

I've agreed with @tinman85 that LJ (and Tisdale, thanks to @View from the Dolman ) would appear to have the cushiest jobs in English football.

If you don't think that's the case perhaps you'd like to put forward the names of managers who you feel have more job security, and we can compare them with LJ and Tisdale?

10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Saying LJ has the easiest job in English football really wasn't waffle, it stands to reason, and the reasons behind this thinking have been laid out above.

I've agreed with @tinman85 that LJ (and Tisdale, thanks to @View from the Dolman ) would appear to have the cushiest jobs in English football.

If you don't think that's the case perhaps you'd like to put forward the names of managers who you feel have more job security, and we can compare them with LJ and Tisdale?

Job security and ‘ease’ of job are completely different things - the security aspect is irrelevant. My job is very secure but it’s not easy and the security I have doesn’t make the task at hand any less difficult. 

In fact if you wanted to be pedantic, you could argue that being at a club where your captain get booed and jeered off the pitch DURING a game makes the task at hand a lot more difficult.

I would say the mental well-being that comes from the increased job security LJ has is easily offset by what Johnson has to deal with from fans which he wouldn’t at another club. 

Put another way - Johnson has turned us from relegation fodder to challenging for promotion, and he and his team still get subject to some fairly unsavoury stuff from fans. Easy job? Give me a break. 

22 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If you don't think that's the case perhaps you'd like to put forward the names of managers who you feel operate under less pressure, and have more job security, and we can compare them with LJ and Tisdale?

I know you weren’t asking me, but I thought I might have a go :)

i look at it differently. I don’t think he’s under no pressure, or has huge job security. (As an aside, look at Wenger - going absolutely nowhere, but still under intense pressure.) 

Rather, I think that he is perhaps one of the managers who is most aligned with his chairman wrt the plan they are trying to execute. As this plan is long-term in nature, it means the chairman is focused on general progression of the club, and overlooks swings in short term form. Other chairmen might be more inclined to rapidly hire and fire  

I think SL would get rid if he thought we were failing in executing the plan. But for now things are generally progressing, so LJ remains in a good spot. 

Just my view on the dynamic. 

3 minutes ago, City Ben said:

I know you weren’t asking me, but I thought I might have a go :)

i look at it differently. I don’t think he’s under no pressure, or has huge job security. (As an aside, look at Wenger - going absolutely nowhere, but still under intense pressure.) 

Rather, I think that he is perhaps one of the managers who is most aligned with his chairman wrt the plan they are trying to execute. As this plan is long-term in nature, it means the chairman is focused on general progression of the club, and overlooks swings in short term form. Other chairmen might be more inclined to rapidly hire and fire  

I think SL would get rid if he thought we were failing in executing the plan. But for now things are generally progressing, so LJ remains in a good spot. 

Just my view on the dynamic. 

Well said. Anyone who thinks SL is a walkover and will let LJ keep going regardless of what happens is mistaken. He’s a ruthless man when he needs to be. 

He will rightly feel vindicated in his decision to not cave under fan pressure - he backed his man and he delivered a cup semi final and turned a team that looked nailed on for the drop into one challenging for promotion with one of the smallest budgets in the league. 

The irony is that the club has been crying out for stability off the pitch for a decade and now that we have it, people don’t like it, despite what will be our best league finish in ten years. 

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 13:39, Bar BS3 said:

I hope you win the Euro millions & put your money where your mouth is. 

I wouldn’t agree with your decisions, but at least you might stop posting the same, repetitive drivel on here, time & time & time & time again..! 

....you can say that again mate! :) 

7 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

You just agreed with what someone else said...absolutely no substance whatsoever in you’re waffle yet again. You have no idea of the pressures any manager is under including Lee Johnson. I will ask you a question that only requires a very straight answer.

You seem to suggest it in all the multiple non-sensical threads you start, even suggesting he should speak to dean smith last saturday.

Johnson is under no pressure, its not as if he was a hairs breath away from being sacked last season you know when the board htalked about sacking but failed to come to a majority desicion and gave him more time, to turn it around,

massive mistake that, I look forward to playing Scunthorpe, Rovers, Plymouth, MK dons next season when we get relegated...... oh wait, its just Tinman85 talking absolute horseshit again sorry

On 03/04/2018 at 12:53, tinman85 said:

Maybe. But if I had invested millions in that team I wouldn't be clapping. I'd be calling Johnson in 

You'd be calling Johnson in if we lost 1-0 in the Champions League final against Barcelona having dominated the game and only lost to an incorrectly given penalty.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Job security and ‘ease’ of job are completely different things - the security aspect is irrelevant. 

Of course it's not.

No one's saying being a football manager is 'easy' for any manager at any club, but if your owner is almost uniquely supportive almost whatever happens that's going to make things easier for you than others.

If you are under less pressure to succeed, if you know your job is secure in perilous situations for your club where the cutthroat nature of football dictates other clubs would make a change, you have a comparatively cushy job.

Let's not get sidelined here btw, the discussion here is not whether we think it's a good or bad thing if LJ has things easier than most others - many would argue such unusual job security is good for stability for instance - it's just whether that situation exists.

Which it undoubtedly does, imo.

8 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Yes I would sack him. If we don't get in the play offs are being 2nd on 30th Dec it is a shocking decline and any other club would see it as another poor run which the manager could not rectify. But I wouldn't have appointed him in the first place. We should have appointed Warnock. Cardiff will enjoy next season. End of 

5 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

No I wouldn't. Because that won't ever happen.

My post was clearly taking the piss by being extreme.

The point is you are on here everytime we dont win (and occasionally when we do) but it is always the same, searching out reasons to criticise.

The result, any criticism you now make, even if there actually is a valid point hidden among all the imagined nonsense, has lost any weight or credibility because of the amount of shite you normally come out with.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Johnson is under no pressure, its not as if he was a hairs breath away from being sacked last season you know when the board htalked about sacking but failed to come to a majority desicion and gave him more time, to turn it around,

I've never heard that about LJ's position going to a boardroom vote.

You say they 'failed to come to a majority decision' but if his position was discussed by all board members surely the majority decision must have been in favour of no change? Or was it a case of equal votes each way meant keeping the status quo?

I do remember the media asking SL if LJ's position had ever been 'discussed', and iirc. SL saying it had, after a particular game.

No mention in public of it ever going to any serious discussions or vote that I recall though, or the impression being given that SL personally was anything but 100% behind LJ..

A 'hair's breadth away from being sacked' - no, that wasn't the feeling I was left with at all. SL was backing his man wholeheartedly.

The strong impression I got from statements at the time - can't remember if It was stated in so many words - was that SL was absolutely determined to back LJ no matter what, and his job was likely to be safe even in the event of City being relegated.

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:56, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was struggling to think of any manager with a cushier job position than LJ.

Didn't think of Tisdale  though who is a good shout, a real exception to the rule.

The point stands though, LJ has things easy compared with managers at almost any other club.

Surely Arsen Wenger has the easiest job in football management. Highest paid manager who will never be sacked.

37 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Of course it's not.

No one's saying being a football manager is 'easy' for any manager at any club, but if your owner is almost uniquely supportive almost whatever happens that's going to make things easier for you than others.

If you are under less pressure to succeed, if you know your job is secure in perilous situations for your club where the cutthroat nature of football dictates other clubs would make a change, you have a comparatively cushy job.

Let's not get sidelined here btw, the discussion here is not whether we think it's a good or bad thing if LJ has things easier than most others - many would argue such unusual job security is good for stability for instance - it's just whether that situation exists.

Which it undoubtedly does, imo.

LJs position is undoubtedly more secure than most in English football, thanks to a patient and supportive chairman. 

However that still doesn’t make the actual task of delivering the objective any more or less easy. 

As for being under less pressure to succeed, relegation fodder to a cup semi final and promotion contenders but still jeered by your own fans during the game....not sure in what other universe that can be deemed an easy or unpressured situation.

As for the actual thread topic, it’s the usual nonsense - SL was simply acting in a manner befitting his position, no more no less. 

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Job security and ‘ease’ of job are completely different things - the security aspect is irrelevant. My job is very secure but it’s not easy and the security I have doesn’t make the task at hand any less difficult. 

In fact if you wanted to be pedantic, you could argue that being at a club where your captain get booed and jeered off the pitch DURING a game makes the task at hand a lot more difficult.

I would say the mental well-being that comes from the increased job security LJ has is easily offset by what Johnson has to deal with from fans which he wouldn’t at another club. 

Put another way - Johnson has turned us from relegation fodder to challenging for promotion, and he and his team still get subject to some fairly unsavoury stuff from fans. Easy job? Give me a break. 

Hold on a moment - ' job security' as manager of a professional football club can be very tenuous, LJ does not have those concerns to any great degree, as was proved last season. I would wager that almost any other manager or HC at any other professional club would have not survived that run. I am also pretty certain any other manager or HC at THIS club would not have survived.

What exactly do you feel that he has to deal with from the fans here that he wouldn't at any other club?

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

Hold on a moment - ' job security' as manager of a professional football club can be very tenuous, LJ does not have those concerns to any great degree, as was proved last season. I would wager that almost any other manager or HC at any other professional club would have not survived that run. I am also pretty certain any other manager or HC at THIS club would not have survived.

What exactly do you feel that he has to deal with from the fans here that he wouldn't at any other club?

Being jeered off the pitch and people actively wanting you sacked when you’re delivering the best season in a decade? Or is that too obvious?!

The entire footballing world sees us as an overachieving side while we alone are discussing ‘failure’. 

Surely it couldn’t be us that’s looking at it slightly wrong?! Could it.....?

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Being jeered off the pitch and people actively wanting you sacked when you’re delivering the best season in a decade? Or is that too obvious?!

The entire footballing world sees us as an overachieving side while we alone are discussing ‘failure’. 

Surely it couldn’t be us that’s looking at it slightly wrong?! Could it.....?

When was he jeered off the pitch? He didn't come on the pitch on Monday, if that is what you are referring too.

I struggle to believe that the " entire footballing world" see us at all, never mind as an overachieving side - where on earth have you got that from?

As for looking at it wrongly, football is all about opinions, you clearly believe all is well, others don't - opinions, all of which are valid.

Just now, ScottishRed said:

When was he jeered off the pitch? He didn't come on the pitch on Monday, if that is what you are referring too.

I struggle to believe that the " entire footballing world" see us at all, never mind as an overachieving side - where on earth have you got that from?

As for looking at it wrongly, football is all about opinions, you clearly believe all is well, others don't - opinions, all of which are valid.

You know what I mean - he and the team booed off, Wright actually jeered off during play. 

Inwork with a massive range of football fans from all divisions. All very impressed at what City have done and all genuinely gobsmacked when I show them some of the drivel on here. One a Sheff U fan who draws valid comparisons between them and us - both started very well but faltered a little - whereas the whole red half of Sheffield are still unanimous in their unwavering support of the manager who has given them the best season they’ve had in many many years. 

LJ has overnight become a victim of his own success. If we’d been 12th all season the mood would be generally positive, but even though we’re doing considerably better than that, the knives are out because of a dip in form. 

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

massive mistake that, I look forward to playing Scunthorpe, Rovers, Plymouth, MK dons next season when we get relegated...... oh wait, its just Tinman85 talking absolute horseshit again sorry

All that he ever talks I am afraid...

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Cushiest job in football is just nonsense..he has been in the role for 2 years and 3 months not the years that Tisdale and wenger have had so the comparison does not stand to reason.

first 4 months he kept us up when it looked like we were doomed and we started to see fleeting examples of some of the exciting football we witnessed this year in large parts.

last season was a challenge I grant you that but it was his first full season at this level...he had to contend with hate and venom coming from the stands the 1-0 won v Rotherham stood out with the disgraceful ‘O’driscoll save us banner” right behind him.

the board made a decision to stick with their man that does not mean he has a cushty job it means they saw something in him that impressed them and they backed their belief. This season has been a success in so many respects which I do not have to list as they are pretty obvious. We have fallen away I get that but it does not mean that we have overwhelmingly exceeded expectations at the start of the season. I guess it is where you set your benchmark. 

In my mind he showed incredible mental strength and resilience last year has learnt from that experience and improved us this season surely you can see that both in points/position and the cup run we all have been craving for a long time.

people calling for his head is madness.

sorry ntb always appreciate you’re posts but don’t agree with you on this one.

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

LJ has overnight become a victim of his own success. If we’d been 12th all season the mood would be generally positive, but even though we’re doing considerably better than that, the knives are out because of a dip in form. 

Maybe, just maybe, right about mid table obscurity but otherwise a largely incorrect analysis; the following points would have happened regardless of position so I doubt anybody would have been satisfied;

The knives are out because of the manner of the collapse, the inept performances where it appears many players are just not bothered, a useless January transfer window, duds in earlier windows, a few team sheets that defy logic, persisting with some players who are repeatedly woeful..not to mention the Mark Ashton remarks and the PR balls up over ST's.. I could go on.

The majority of fans acknowledge the overall good season we are having, that is not in doubt; it is the manner of the collapse from what was a great season that has annoyed fans, and rightly so because much of it could and should have been avoided.

That said the season is not yet over.

If we play 50% better against Milwall we might scrape a draw but I doubt it.

If you want an owner / chairman to take a more hardline approach, I give you the President of Sporting Lisbon (they are the gift in absolutely the same way the Gas are) who has me in stitches tonight.

After losing 2-0 to Atletico Madrid (2x recent Champions League semi-finalists and far better than Sporting) in the Europa last night, the President went on Facebook and accused most of their best players of throwing the game and being a disgrace.

The players, who obviously did no such thing, but include 3-4 Portugal national team players, drafted a joint response refuting his claims, which 18 of them all posted on social. He has suspended them all this evening. They have six players left for their league game on Monday. :laughcont:

Think I'd like our owner to politely clap.

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

You'd be calling Johnson in if we lost 1-0 in the Champions League final against Barcelona having dominated the game and only lost to an incorrectly given penalty.

Wed never know because he wouldn't be anywhere near the forum... 

On 05/04/2018 at 17:12, tinman85 said:

Thank you. My sentiments exactly. The guy is under no pressure. Not from owners or fans. He could lose every game 3.0 to end of the season and be given a new deal. Is here no matter what. I would say under less pressure than Tisdale and Wenger. Easiest job. 

Showing faith in a manager by giving him time, financial backing and a vote of confidence during a poor spell does not equate to an “easy job”. It means he has a patient chairman - a chairman who made the brave decision to stick with LJ last year, a decision that was fully vindicated by a strong finish and a decent campaign overall this time around.

Lansdown has gone on record as saying LJ’s position was reviewed last year. Had the decline continued into this year, I very much doubt he’d still be here now. But quite clearly, 7th place is substantial progress and not a decline by any measure. Although I do realise it is highly inconvenient to your argument.

The reason LJ is still here is because he survived by the skin of his teeth and has overseen upward progress since. Nothing to do with “an easy job”. Get over it.

Archived