IGNORED

The Litter Police

Anglo-Welsh

As I'm sure most are now aware, Bristol City Council have employed 'Civil Enforcement Officers' a.k.a 'the litter police' who can hand out on the spot fines for such things as dropping litter etc.

A lot of publicity recently over how they seem to take advantage of situations, treat people badly and fine people in cases of mistaken identity e.g. one woman was accused of dropping cigarette butts, turns out she wasn't a smoker, the enforcement guys got heavy handed, followed her home, not nice.

Purely out of interest, in case one should ever find themselves in an uncompromising situation with these fellows, what can/can't they do? I.E. let's say I did spit out some chewing gum on the floor and they happened to catch me. I'm assuming they can't lay hands on me, restrain me, demand that I show I.D.? After all, they aren't 'official' police officers. Just wonder what powers they would have to stop me walking off into the sunset.

• Admin

I was at a bus stop at Temple Meads recently and a young lady chucked a fag butt on the floor, two of them sprang out of nowhere onto her.

Oddly they said they had footage of incident so were clearly filming whilst she was still smoking - they were really heavy handed with her, tried to make me move away from them even though I hadn't moved during the incident

The girl (early 20's at best) got very upset, they were demanding ID from her, which she wouldn't show - they kept saying they would "call the police" - I reckon that was more a bluff.

Then they were asking for her parents details - the lady went to get on the same bus as me, but they literally blocked her from getting on the bus- this caused her to get more upset and got a reaction from those of us at the bus stop. In the end the girl agreed not to get on the bus, but have no idea how it was resolved

I've noticed that standing in doorways etc around Temple Meads station a few times so clearly sneaky in how they are catching people

Interestingly it always seems to be people of a young college age they have pulled too - coincidence ? I think not!

27 minutes ago, Calculus said:

I don't suppose that anyone should consider the option of not dropping their rubbish onto the streets. 

While I do agree with you, it is funny that people are getting fined for dropping fag butts while the flytipping of large objects (beds, sofas, fridges etc) seems to be completely ignored by the council and litter police.

18 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

While I do agree with you, it is funny that people are getting fined for dropping fag butts while the flytipping of large objects (beds, sofas, fridges etc) seems to be completely ignored by the council and litter police.

They're not in anyway ignored and the penalties for fly tipping can very large - catching them doing it is the problem. Actually watching someone dropping their rubbish in full view isn't the same thing as a sofa being discovered in a country lane after being tipped there with no-one around to see it and idea of who did it.

No sympathy for litter louts whatsoever - good riddance to the lot of 'em.

19 minutes ago, Calculus said:

They're not in anyway ignored and the penalties for fly tipping can very large - catching them doing it is the problem. Actually watching someone dropping their rubbish in full view isn't the same thing as a sofa being discovered in a country lane after being tipped there with no-one around to see it and idea of who did it.

Yep. Don’t bother with fines, send them out in chain-gangs along our motorways and dual-carriageways to pick up the tons of litter strewn about the place. 

Thought Dirty Devon was bad but that section of elevated M5 outside Portishead is absolutely woeful.

Should do the same with lorry drivers who allow plastics and all sorts to fly off their vehicles. 

14 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Hear what you're saying bud, but the point the Council make little or no effort with dumped fly tipped items. It seems they're only interested in 'catching people' in the act so they can make a quick buck. They don't care if the City is clean or not.

But I am with you, litter louts infuriate me and deserve their punishment.

2 minutes ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Hear what you're saying bud, but the point the Council make little or no effort with dumped fly tipped items. It seems they're only interested in 'catching people' in the act so they can make a quick buck. They don't care if the City is clean or not.

But just maybe the type of person who doesn’t give a second thought about dropping his/her McDonalds wrappers on the pavement comes from the same family who’ll happily dump their sofa in a country lane?

Its a cultural thing some groups respect their environment, others don’t give a toss.

1 hour ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Well do I remember someone few months dumped a sofa and two armchairs in Stockwood Lane. Some people are just unbelievable. I imagine that it was done when no-one was around so quite how you catch those people I don't know but it would be good if they could. Maybe CCTV at popular spots but that seems very heavy handed. There's no end of men in white vans offering a refuse collection service. Maybe some of them dump illegally.

From my own point of view I see much more low level waste dumped in the city - hundreds of fag ends and chewing gum spots on pavements (urgh!), wrappers of all kinds and fast food rubbish. Maybe the council should have more bins around and make sure they're regularly emptied. Littering should be seen as the anti-social behaviour by all it is and the perpetrators need to get the message even if it does mean fines...

6 hours ago, Calculus said:

I don't suppose that anyone should consider the option of not dropping their rubbish onto the streets. 

Agreed. I don't see any logical reason as to why anyone should litter. If you do then cop the fine and learn the lesson. There are plenty of bins provided.

12 hours ago, Calculus said:

I did say I didn’t disagree with you. I see no reason to not fine litter droppers.

But you are wrong on the flytipping being taken seriously by Bristol City Council. The amount of large crap I see dumped on the streets that doesn’t get cleared up for weeks is unbelievable.

I get that the council are skint and that fag butt droppers are easy revenue, but I find it hard to get too worked up about it when I see the same sofa in the street for the third week in a row, despite it having been reported.

22 hours ago, 54-46 said:

Be good if the disgusting little pricks that think it’s ok to spit everywhere could be sorted out as well

Rub their faces in it. Disgusting habit. Only time anyone should be spitting in public is potentially under exercision i.e. a football pitch etc 

Anyone feeling the need to spit  publically and not into a tissue or handkerchief is a filthy scrote in my eyes.

On 04/04/2018 at 13:00, Calculus said:

Well do I remember someone few months dumped a sofa and two armchairs in Stockwood Lane. Some people are just unbelievable. I imagine that it was done when no-one was around so quite how you catch those people I don't know but it would be good if they could. Maybe CCTV at popular spots but that seems very heavy handed. There's no end of men in white vans offering a refuse collection service. Maybe some of them dump illegally.

From my own point of view I see much more low level waste dumped in the city - hundreds of fag ends and chewing gum spots on pavements (urgh!), wrappers of all kinds and fast food rubbish. Maybe the council should have more bins around and make sure they're regularly emptied. Littering should be seen as the anti-social behaviour by all it is and the perpetrators need to get the message even if it does mean fines...

Just thick, lazy c**** basically

Archived