IGNORED

S. Glos Suburbs

BRISTOL86

Further to another thread I started a while back (and not wishing to hijack the similar thread in here now....) I’m looking for some opinions on some S. Glos suburbs. 

We’re considering our next house move and the criteria is no more than 30-40 mins drive to BS1/BS2. We like where we are now (BS30) and I’ve got very used to being able to get home in 20-30 minutes so there’s only so far I can go in any direction if I don’t want to go back to spending the best part of an hour each way commuting.

Personally I’d be keen to head south and look at the likes of Midsomer Norton/Pensford etc if it weren’t for the commute.

I’m familiar with our current location and immediate surroundings (BS30/BS15) but casting the net a little wider, properties are coming up in places I’m not very familiar with at all, namely...

Downend

Mangotsfield

Staple Hill

Coalpit Heath

Frampton Cotterell

Yate

Chipping Buggery Sodbury

We’re trying to keep an open mind as much as possible so not ruling anything in and out as yet, just gathering info. 

If anyone is familiar with these areas I’d be keen to hear your thoughts. 

Ta

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Further to another thread I started a while back (and not wishing to hijack the similar thread in here now....) I’m looking for some opinions on some S. Glos suburbs. 

We’re considering our next house move and the criteria is no more than 30-40 mins drive to BS1/BS2. We like where we are now (BS30) and I’ve got very used to being able to get home in 20-30 minutes so there’s only so far I can go in any direction if I don’t want to go back to spending the best part of an hour each way commuting.

Personally I’d be keen to head south and look at the likes of Midsomer Norton/Pensford etc if it weren’t for the commute.

I’m familiar with our current location and immediate surroundings (BS30/BS15) but casting the net a little wider, properties are coming up in places I’m not very familiar with at all, namely...

Downend

Mangotsfield

Staple Hill

Coalpit Heath

Frampton Cotterell

Yate

Chipping Buggery Sodbury

We’re trying to keep an open mind as much as possible so not ruling anything in and out as yet, just gathering info. 

Ta

Grew up in BS16 post code between Downend and Frenchay so know the area well. Personally think the Downend side by Frenchay is the nicer part.

If looking at areas such as Coalpit Heath , have you considered Winterbourne?

4 minutes ago, daored said:

Grew up in BS16 post code between Downend and Frenchay so know the area well. Personally think the Downend side by Frenchay is the nicer part.

If looking at areas such as Coalpit Heath , have you considered Winterbourne?

Thanks. It’s another area I’ve seen come up that I know nothing about! I grew up in Whitchurch and then moved to BS30 via BS5 so it’s a whole side of town I know nothing of  

At this stage I’m considering everything and not making any pre conceived opinions!

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Thanks. It’s another area I’ve seen come up that I know nothing about! I grew up in Whitchurch and then moved to BS30 via BS5 so it’s a whole side of town I know nothing of  

At this stage I’m considering everything and not making any pre conceived opinions!

If looking at Staple Hill would suggest around Page Park. I wouldn’t personally look at Mangotsfield, although my parents have moved there, think there are nicer areas with BS16 post code.

If looking at new builds (ish) Emerson Green, or where cleeve rugby used to play. They’ve built on the land where Frenchay hospital used to be.

If looking at Frenchay, they Riverwood is a nice estate. 

1 minute ago, daored said:

If looking at Staple Hill would suggest around Page Park. I wouldn’t personally look at Mangotsfield, although my parents have moved there, think there are nicer areas with BS16 post code.

If looking at new builds (ish) Emerson Green, or where cleeve rugby used to play. They’ve built on the land where Frenchay hospital used to be.

If looking at Frenchay, they Riverwood is a nice estate. 

Thanks for that! 

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Downend

Mangotsfield

Staple Hill

Coalpit Heath

Frampton Cotterell

Yate

Chipping Buggery Sodbury

Ta

Frampton Cotterell is very nice; I grew up there.

Very expensive now, however.

1 hour ago, ziderheadarmy said:

What’s your budget and what you after? 

Probably £350-£375k absolute top end. Ideally looking for 4 bed detatched but would rather have slightly less house in a nicer location than more house in a worse location. Not ruling out another semi but we do like the idea of detatching....

Grew up in Coalpit Heath and lived pretty much all my adult life in Winterbourne. 

Love both areas and Frampton which is between Coalpit Heath and Winterbourne. Do you have school age children? Frampton and Coalpit Heath have the better Primary and Junior schools. 

Great selection of pubs in Frampton and Winterbourne and some lovely walks especially around the Frome Valley in Winterbourne and Winterbourne Down. 

You mentioned the commute, one thing I would be wary of is the traffic through Winterbourne high street at rush hour can be a mare. You can easily add another 15 mins to your journey from Frampton. I leave my in house in Winterbourne at 7 and am usually at the bottom of the M32 at 7.15. 

3 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

Grew up in Coalpit Heath and lived pretty much all my adult life in Winterbourne. 

Love both areas and Frampton which is between Coalpit Heath and Winterbourne. Do you have school age children? Frampton and Coalpit Heath have the better Primary and Junior schools. 

Great selection of pubs in Frampton and Winterbourne and some lovely walks especially around the Frome Valley in Winterbourne and Winterbourne Down. 

You mentioned the commute, one thing I would be wary of is the traffic through Winterbourne high street at rush hour can be a mare. You can easily add another 15 mins to your journey from Frampton. I leave my in house in Winterbourne at 7 and am usually at the bottom of the M32 at 7.15. 

No kids as yet but planning to in the next few years hence looking to make a move in the next year or so with the following 20 years in mind....schools definitely part of the jigsaw, thanks for your thoughts :) 

7 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

This.

Also Staple Hill is good. Quite diverse but I like the area and a good high street. Very accessible area. Downend is ok, but not a lot going on unless you’re near the high street.

Lived in Coalpit Heath for about 10 years prior to moving to Pucklechurch, which is about 25 mins from the centre and it’s my sort of area as I prefer villages.

Oh arrr.

20 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

This.

Also Staple Hill is good. Quite diverse but I like the area and a good high street. Very accessible area. Downend is ok, but not a lot going on unless you’re near the high street.

Lived in Coalpit Heath for about 10 years prior to moving to Pucklechurch, which is about 25 mins from the centre and it’s my sort of area as I prefer villages.

Oh arrr.

I like the look of Pucklechurch a lot. We're in Oldland Common at the moment and tbh we really like the area we're in and surrounds (I like Wick and Bridgeyate but expensive)

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I like the look of Pucklechurch a lot. We're in Oldland Common at the moment and tbh we really like the area we're in and surrounds (I like Wick and Bridgeyate but expensive)

All nice places to live. It’s very difficult to get your hands on a 4 bed in Pucklechurch as they’re rarely on sale and get snapped up quickly. I’d prefer a 5 bed in the village but currently happy with my 3 bed just because I like the area so much!

The ‘bottom end’ of the village near the actual church is where you find the best places in my opinion. Looked at a 2 bed cottage down there. Was great but too small.

6 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

I would also mention the following being worth a look 

Westerleigh, down the road from pucklechurch.

Charfield (few new build developments) good motorway links.

Rangeworthy, good mixture of houses nice location. 

Wotton Under Edge, KLB school.

Wickwar, nice village and in KLB catchment area. 

Chipping Sodbury / Yate, good train links. 

Thornbury, good motorway links. 

I think the likes of Wotton/Charfield are too far away tbh. I’m not sure I can be dealing with motorway commute in and out every day (I’ve been massively spoiled by being able to be home by 4.30 every day where I live now!)

Ideally we’ll find somewhere in BS30 or immediate surrounds but nothing much is coming up which ticks the boxes. 

There seems to be a lot of us from the Frampton/Coalpit/Winterbourne area. I’ve spent most of my life answering “it’s a place near Yate” to anybody that asks where I’m from, so it’s weird to find so many of us together while not being in the actual villages. :rofl2br:

14 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think the likes of Wotton/Charfield are too far away tbh. I’m not sure I can be dealing with motorway commute in and out every day (I’ve been massively spoiled by being able to be home by 4.30 every day where I live now!)

Ideally we’ll find somewhere in BS30 or immediate surrounds but nothing much is coming up which ticks the boxes. 

I reckon you'd make it to BS1 quicker from Charfield and anywhere around J14 than Yate/Sodbury to be fair.

It's a bit hillbilly up there though.

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I reckon you'd make it to BS1 quicker from Charfield and anywhere around J14 than Yate/Sodbury to be fair.

It's a bit hillbilly up there though.

My aunt lives in Charfield.

A bit hillbilly is a massive understatement.

7 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

There seems to be a lot of us from the Frampton/Coalpit/Winterbourne area. I’ve spent most of my life answering “it’s a place near Yate” to anybody that asks where I’m from, so it’s weird to find so many of us together while not being in the actual villages. :rofl2br:

Another here in Coalpit Heath. Reds are taking over.

On 4/5/2018 at 17:35, BRISTOL86 said:

Probably £350-£375k absolute top end. Ideally looking for 4 bed detatched but would rather have slightly less house in a nicer location than more house in a worse location. Not ruling out another semi but we do like the idea of detatching....

4 bed detatched just gone on the market in my road in BS30 for £375K B86. I reckon it will come down as it's just gone on the market and it's very a very nice spot, especially if you have young kids, with a park outside your door.

Depends on what you want from your area really! Commuting is a pain in the arse anywhere near town - at rush hour a 40 minute + commute isn't unfathomable from the places you've listed. Also unsure if you have kids but I actually grew up in my later years near Emersons/Mangotsfield. It's great for exploring as a kid but once you start reaching the age of wanting to travel to town and go out more on evenings it can feel a little bit secluded.

On 05/04/2018 at 13:17, BRISTOL86 said:

Yeah I did think that was probably too far out. 

It’s not really about being to far out, it’s probably only about 12 miles or so from Yate to town, however the traffic getting to and from town via any route from Yate can be an absolute nightmare dependent on what time you leave.

Archived