IGNORED

S. Glos Suburbs

BRISTOL86

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:42, BRISTOL86 said:

Further to another thread I started a while back (and not wishing to hijack the similar thread in here now....) I’m looking for some opinions on some S. Glos suburbs. 

We’re considering our next house move and the criteria is no more than 30-40 mins drive to BS1/BS2. We like where we are now (BS30) and I’ve got very used to being able to get home in 20-30 minutes so there’s only so far I can go in any direction if I don’t want to go back to spending the best part of an hour each way commuting.

Personally I’d be keen to head south and look at the likes of Midsomer Norton/Pensford etc if it weren’t for the commute.

I’m familiar with our current location and immediate surroundings (BS30/BS15) but casting the net a little wider, properties are coming up in places I’m not very familiar with at all, namely...

Downend

Mangotsfield

Staple Hill

Coalpit Heath

Frampton Cotterell

Yate

Chipping Buggery Sodbury

We’re trying to keep an open mind as much as possible so not ruling anything in and out as yet, just gathering info. 

If anyone is familiar with these areas I’d be keen to hear your thoughts. 

Ta

I live in Frampton Cotterell and have done all my life just to add to the numbers listed on here. Would echo the thoughts of @Masala and @winterbournered that anywhere around FC, Coalpit Heath and Winterbourne are all lovely areas to live in with decent pubs and food outlets. The schools too, Manor & Watermore and then the Ridings International Academy are excellent. With the ring road, which takes you onto the M32 you can be in town in under 20 minutes traffic permitting. However, without being rude, I am unsure if your budget will get you a 4 bed detached house in those areas but I have taken my eye off the market in recent times. Good luck with it.

54 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Thanks @Arthur Daley and all others who have helped with advice. 

I think we’ve decided that we’d like to stay in BS30 if possible, but not ruling anything out at this stage. Just for some balance we’re going to see a couple of properties in Emersons and Downend later 

Well thanks for wasting everyone's time..........:laughcont::thumbsup:

On 11/04/2018 at 10:56, BRISTOL86 said:

Haha! Knowledge is power and all that! You never know we may see somewhere that we love and just go for it. We never planned to end up in BS30, it just kind of happened!

Nothing wrong with BS30 fella, we love it. The new motorway junction will make a massive difference as does the ring road, if they EVER finish the bridges at Hambrook. :facepalm:

Out of interest, we're closer to the RR than you are currently but can't hear it. The other side of Craven way IS affected by road noise so bear that in mind if you look at any properties north of Craven way.

Years ago, we looked at a lovely house in Palmers close, it was stunning but my old man stood outside and noticed it straight away. I wouldn't have thought about it at all. Experience eh!

2 hours ago, tommytank1985 said:

Why don’t you look at places off junction 18, I live 5 mins up the road in the sticks and I can get to Bristol in under 30mins and Southmead hosp in 25 mins with a clear run. Depends what you’re looking for! It’s quiet and peaceful where I am. 

@BRISTOL86 has decided to stay put. Timewaster..!

16 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I thought it was just that bit cos of the ruddy Metrobus that needed sorting? The concrete on the viaduct was knackered. 

I'm sure you're correct. I was thinking that they would need an additional lane on the Northern bridge as well as the Southern bridge for the metrobus though? The Southern one is noticeably wider now judging by that video.

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

I'm sure you're correct. I was thinking that they would need an additional lane on the northern bridge as well as the Southern bridge for the metrobus though? 

It’s already there isn’t it? Just all coned off at the moment. :)  

On 05/04/2018 at 11:42, BRISTOL86 said:

Further to another thread I started a while back (and not wishing to hijack the similar thread in here now....) I’m looking for some opinions on some S. Glos suburbs. 

We’re considering our next house move and the criteria is no more than 30-40 mins drive to BS1/BS2. We like where we are now (BS30) and I’ve got very used to being able to get home in 20-30 minutes so there’s only so far I can go in any direction if I don’t want to go back to spending the best part of an hour each way commuting.

Personally I’d be keen to head south and look at the likes of Midsomer Norton/Pensford etc if it weren’t for the commute.

I’m familiar with our current location and immediate surroundings (BS30/BS15) but casting the net a little wider, properties are coming up in places I’m not very familiar with at all, namely...

Downend

Mangotsfield

Staple Hill

Coalpit Heath

Frampton Cotterell

Yate

Chipping Buggery Sodbury

We’re trying to keep an open mind as much as possible so not ruling anything in and out as yet, just gathering info. 

If anyone is familiar with these areas I’d be keen to hear your thoughts. 

Ta

I realise this isnt the most helpful but thought I'd chip in.

I've lived in a range of places around Bristol, but rarely in a place for a truly extended amount of time meaning I only have vague knowledge on each place.

However my Grandad lived in the same house in Downend since (I think) the 70s and from the weekly visits and walks round the area it always seemed a very nice area and I dont recall him having many (any) issues.

His house was on Overndale Road, someone with better knowldege of Downend may be able to expand on that immediate area.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Before and after the bridge is Dolls. I can't say I've noticed a coned off area on the bridge itself TBH as I'm jut glad to get through the roadworks.

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

It’s already there isn’t it? Just all coned off at the moment. :)  

I have some knowledge on this... The viaduct works were nothing to do with the Metrobus. The southern viaduct had literally reached the end of its life and needed to be strenghthen and refurbished. The Northern Viaduct is a lot younger and if I remember correctly has 10-15 years of life left.

12 minutes ago, Paul Turnip said:

I have some knowledge on this... The viaduct works were nothing to do with the Metrobus. The southern viaduct had literally reached the end of its life and needed to be strenghthen and refurbished. The Northern Viaduct is a lot younger and if I remember correctly has 10-15 years of life left.

Thanks Paul. I've run out of 'likes' so consider your post 'liked'.

Where's the Metrobus going to go then, moving all the other traffic into 1 lane I guess?

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Thanks Paul. I've run out of 'likes' so consider your post 'liked'.

Where's the Metrobus going to go then, moving all the other traffic into 1 lane I guess?

Guess so. Towards the M32 lane 1 was always a bus/2+ lane, so don't know if they'll make lane 1 a permanent bus lane coming back the other way...

Just to add to your list of potential places. I know you asked about SE wales on a previous thread ( to which I replied ) - however one place I would strongly recommend is Tutshill. Its on the English side of the Wye , literally just over the A48 road bridge from Chepstow. So, you've got the shops and pubs etc of Chepstow, plus the rural charm of a small english village all on your doorstep. There is a small estate ( 30 homes ) currently being built on the outskirts of the village. House prices are definitely going up but I think you could get something really nice for your budget.

4 hours ago, Super said:

Live very close to the ring o'bells in CH but never been in there! Any good?

It was pretty good back in the day, but I haven’t been in there for over 10 years.

The Globe and The Star used to be my watering holes, unfortunately the Star is now gone and the Globe is more of a family restaurant.

Archived