IGNORED

The Millwall FC v Bristol City FC Match Day Thread 41

Septic Peg

Hello folks!

It's a wet miserable day here in Bristol as our intrepid and arguably somewhat resilient City fans travel up the M4 to the infamous Den, home of "Family Club of the Year 2017" Millwall...

Millwall are themselves synonymous with hooliganism and have been featured in many a football film. Just last night, this popped up on the old Twitter feed... (NSFW)

Now I know that the above is depicting Chelsea's firm v Millwall but the theory remains the same. Back in the 70s, 80s and early 90s, lads would often miss the match entirely to have a scrap with the opposition's firm. Nowadays, firms fighting other firms on a match day is as rare as rocking horse manure, or if and when it does still happen, it's normally just handfuls of people involved rather than large numbers.

I can remember a game v Millwall back in the late 90s. It was a night game and I think we won 2-1. Anyway, Millwall fans in the old Wedlock took umbrage at the result and pelted fans in the Williams with all sorts, namely coins, plastic cups and then plastic seats (ever wonder why the Wedlock seats had no backs? Millwall..... ok that's a joke)

That's also not to say that City don't have their fair share of the ruckus associated with other football firms. Paul Lumber's book "It All Kicked Off In Bristol" is currently no. 5 on the Amazon list for football fan books and goes into detail some of the clashes between the likes of Chelsea and Millwall, as well as the obvious Gas.

So going back to my previous statement re Millwall becoming Family Club of the Year.

Many an eyebrow was raised. A few sarcastic laughs. Memes sped around Twitter faster than Ian Holloway being confronted by the Millwall faithful...

The new Zampa family stand was opened in 2013 and acted as a spearhead to an overhaul of club policy and strategy, which directly introduced more young supporters and families to attend the Den. In fact, their family stand and it's regular attractions of face painters, competitions and player interaction etc is similar to what we now experience in the Upper Lansdown.

On to today.

We are playing that crap. Millwall are pushing also for a play off spot.

With that in mind, unless we play a full strength team without Kent, Walsh and Diony and maybe an O'Dowda return, I think this will end with a 2-1 loss to the lions of London...

We shall see...

Coyr...

7 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Hello folks!

It's a wet miserable day here in Bristol as our intrepid and arguably somewhat resilient City fans travel up the M4 to the infamous Den, home of "Family Club of the Year 2017" Millwall...

Millwall are themselves synonymous with hooliganism and have been featured in many a football film. Just last night, this popped up on the old Twitter feed... (NSFW)

Now I know that the above is depicting Chelsea's firm v Millwall but the theory remains the same. Back in the 70s, 80s and early 90s, lads would often miss the match entirely to have a scrap with the opposition's firm. Nowadays, firms fighting other firms on a match day is as rare as rocking horse manure, or if and when it does still happen, it's normally just handfuls of people involved rather than large numbers.

I can remember a game v Millwall back in the late 90s. It was a night game and I think we won 2-1. Anyway, Millwall fans in the old Wedlock took umbrage at the result and pelted fans in the Williams with all sorts, namely coins, plastic cups and then plastic seats (ever wonder why the Wedlock seats had no backs? Millwall..... ok that's a joke)

That's also not to say that City don't have their fair share of the ruckus associated with other football firms. Paul Lumber's book "It All Kicked Off In Bristol" is currently no. 5 on the Amazon list for football fan books and goes into detail some of the clashes between the likes of Chelsea and Millwall, as well as the obvious Gas.

So going back to my previous statement re Millwall becoming Family Club of the Year.

Many an eyebrow was raised. A few sarcastic laughs. Memes sped around Twitter faster than Ian Holloway being confronted by the Millwall faithful...

The new Zampa family stand was opened in 2013 and acted as a spearhead to an overhaul of club policy and strategy, which directly introduced more young supporters and families to attend the Den. In fact, their family stand and it's regular attractions of face painters, competitions and player interaction etc is similar to what we now experience in the Upper Lansdown.

On to today.

With that in mind, unless we play a full strength team without Kent, Walsh and Diony and maybe an O'Dowda return, I think this will end with a 2-1 loss to the lions of London...

We shall see...

Coyr...

Condensed Version

Millwall:

We are crap. They aren't

3-0 Millwall

40 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Hello folks!

On to today.

We shall see...

Coyr...

That particular game? Mid March 2001. Lee Matthews last minute pen, possibly was his debut. Three red cards too. Was a fairly electric atmosphere and quite rainy from memory.

Remember it fairly well as I got back from holiday that day. Nice sedate evening...

...Not! :laugh:

As for today, always hopeful but I fear if we set up like we have lately, we will get out muscled, keep turning the ball over in midfield as we did in August, regularly get hit on the break... With a loss the end result. A big one maybe.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That particular game? 2001. Lee Matthews last minute pen, possibly was his debut. Three red cards too. Was a fairly electric atmosphere and quite rainy from memory.

...Remember it fairly well as I got back from holiday that day. Nice sedate evening...

...Not! :laugh:

As for today, always hopeful but I fear if we set up like we have lately, we will get out muscled, keep turning the ball over in midfield as we did in August, regularly get hit on the break... With a loss the end result. A big one maybe.

Ah thanks Mr P. I was only a few years out but I knew it was around that time!

It would be a remarkable turnaround from recent performances to get anything today, I fear the best we can hope for is a point but I doubt we will get one.

2-0 home win.

Team selection will be interesting however, we will follow the "pathway" " Young players" route which allegedly will help us for next season and effectively give up on any hope of the play-offs?

IF, that is the case it will signal a frightening lack of ambition and fighting spirit within the management of the club and BS.

The message that would send out and the timing of it - after the season ticket renewal deadline has passed - would make the cynic in me hugely doubtful of any ambition we claim to have to play at the top level.

#toocosy

We need to have shots at goal to win a game, something we currently seem incapable of. Considering our form up until Christmas this is baffling. Why have we become so shot shy?

This is a game that we will need to win in midfield and to do so, be will need to drop or bench Fam and play with an extra man in the middle ofthe park. Marlon and Korey will be key today.

Eros is still not fit so BW needs to move to LB with Flint & Bakes in the centre. Maybe Maggs at LB with JB making upthe extra midfielder.

I would also be inclined to play a goalkeeper who is capable of kicking a football.

At some point the 'Wall are going to realise the gravity of their situation. I'm sure their Chief Executive is writing his ' we're not specifically targeting promotion ' press release as we speak .

Against all the odds I'm going for a City win .

Their excellent run must halt at some time and our , rather less than excellent.  run cannot continue either.

If Sunderland can win at Derby then there has to be hope for everyone.

Today is the day when the magnificent Red Army come home with three shiny new points to add to the collection.

COYR

49 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Weather's ok in London Town.:sun: Dry, a bit cloudy but there are patches of blue sky (north London anyway). Looks like it might be a nice day…3 points to BCFC and it will be! :city:

Same in East, surprisingly hot considering the sun isn't out.

1 hour ago, Piccolo said:

You lot are worryingly pessimistic!! Anyways, here is our Match Thread (if interested):

Millwall forum

Thanks for the link. A few of us could probably do worse than follow this outlook on their team's position

Keep the faith. At the end of the day we are safe. Any thing else is having a laugh.

This match - whatever the result - is where we see if the players give us a reaction to the shocking performance on Monday. I'm personally hoping that we can lay a few conspiracy theories to rest, even if it comes from a flukey 1-0 smash and grab

2 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Today’s the day we turn it back on. 4-0 to City. Reid, Diedhiou, Paterson and Diony from the bench. Pack will run the midfield, Flint will scare them senseless, City march on. Tonight, OTIB will be a happy place.

ok, took it too far with that last sentence. 

Quick - let me know what you’re drinking. I’ll have some. As City have forgotten how to shoot, I’ll be happy with a dull naught naught draw. (Sorry about “naught” but I just had a Roger Malone moment)

Archived