IGNORED

An Evaluation of Our Position

Williams' Penalty

Well, after that I think it's pretty unlikely that we will be getting into the playoffs. So, I think it's probably a good time to take stock of our season as a whole.

Can we view this extremely poor run of form as a failure when viewed with reference to our general season. My heart says it's absolutely catastrophic. But my head doesn't share that sentiment.

I think the start of this season provided me with memories that will stick with me forever, and I also think that the steady building process we are going through is the best way to go about promotion. Kelly and Vyner are both great prospects that will have a big role to play next season IMO, and the continuation of this development, as well as slowly building up our security as a championship club rather than a league 1 championship yoyo should be a priority, as Mark Ashton said in his interview. The potential we have to grow, and to push our players back to form (Pato a notable example) over the break will also be key, so all is not lost, I think the prospect of a relegation battle next season is highly unlikely.

So to the frustraited individuals that are already jumping back onto the Johnson out band wagon, please refrain from fulfilling the typical fickle football fan stereo type. We are trying to make progress on a season by season basis, and so far that is what Lee has delivered.

Maybe part of our development will be to prevent these runs, so give it a chance, look forward to the potential we have for next season, and just try and enjoy the little football we have left, because will all know we will miss it when the season ends, even if we are playing badly. Maybe now the pressure isn't as intense we can relax a bit and gain a bit of form and end up getting somewhere, or give a few fringe players an opportunity to perform. 

Just now, Londoner said:

Heads roll? No.....but pressure is now on management. 

Is it though? Regardless of yet another inexplicable bad run, we will be seen to have made progress from last season and LJ will be given more money to blow on more players that ultimately won’t be in the first team and bloat out the squad.

Well... If somebody said to you at the start of the season that we would have an absolutely wonderful first half where we beat 4 Premier League teams, rose to second and showed signs that we were on the verge of something special... Only to come crashing down with half a season of utter misery, packed with throwing away comfortable leads, a disastrous transfer window, bizarre team selections and games on end of failing to register a shot on target.. would you have taken that and classed it as a successful season?

Yes we will finish higher than last season, but looking at the overall context, I don't think we can be closed as having made progress.

The aim last season was to avoid relegation, which we did. The aim this season seems to be to avoid promotion, which we will. We shall probably finish around 10th which would have been my prediction at start of season. Its just the way we will achieve that placement that infuriates me! In truth,  would we all not have taken a top half finish at the start of the campaign? I think we would have but the chance to get promoted may not come around again for years. So for me its just a disappointing way to get where I thought we would, if that makes sense.

34 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Is it though? Regardless of yet another inexplicable bad run, we will be seen to have made progress from last season and LJ will be given more money to blow on more players that ultimately won’t be in the first team and bloat out the squad.

It is fair to say his transfer record is patchy at best but I sincerely hope he has been on a steep learning curve and in the summer the duds all go and he brings in some decent players. Surely?

28 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Well... If somebody said to you at the start of the season that we would have an absolutely wonderful first half where we beat 4 Premier League teams, rose to second and showed signs that we were on the verge of something special... Only to come crashing down with half a season of utter misery, packed with throwing away comfortable leads, a disastrous transfer window, bizarre team selections and games on end of failing to register a shot on target.. would you have taken that and classed it as a successful season?

Yes we will finish higher than last season, but looking at the overall context, I don't think we can be closed as having made progress.

I think you have to ask questions about how a club can fall away so badly over the last 4 months. It shouldn’t happen. If Johnson is the manager many believe, it shouldn’t happen. 

The last 4 months have been awful.

36 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I think, now it looks like we’re going to miss out, that this season has ended up telling us what we already knew. Johnson’s teams, at times, play some sublime football and are capable of stringing together runs of excellent results over reasonably long periods of time.

On the flip side of that, however, is the now indisputable fact that every season his sides have horrible runs of form which end up completely cancelling out the good stuff.

The big question for me is why can’t he arrest these poor runs of form? What is it about Johnson and this group of players that makes them so boom and bust? 

Johnson is still in credit imo but if we start next season how we’ve ended this one we could very well end up in the same position as we were on last season when 90% were calling for his head. What a crying shame that would be after the hope and optimism of earlier this season. 

5 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I think you have to ask questions about how a club can fall away so badly over the last 4 months. It shouldn’t happen. If Johnson is the manager many believe, it shouldn’t happen. 

The last 4 months have been awful.

I really can appreciate posts like this one.

Nothing hysterical, stupid or personal- a very reasonable statement/ question which with regret I agree with but for the life of me can't fathom quite why the 4 months have been quite so bad. 

Injuries have played a really big part but that was then , this is now yet it's still pretty poor stuff- two games without a shot on target is embarrassing from a team capable of so much more.

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Nothing hysterical, stupid or personal- a very reasonable statement/ question which with regret I agree with but for the life of me can't fathom quite why the 4 months have been quite so bad. 

Injuries have played a really big part but that was then , this is now yet it's still pretty poor stuff- two games without a shot on target is embarrassing from a team capable of so much more.

I just don’t agree that you can average out a season.

sonethng made us unplayable at times before Christmas, since we’ve been abysmal. The form has not been acceptable.

i don’t know why.

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

We were better with the injuries. 

Progress what progress? Too much quoting league positions and points as justification  for my liking , it’s all about performance and giving a feeling to all those watching that we are evolving.  What I’m seeing is no better than last season in fact, this bad runs shows me the management team and players have learnt nothing.  We were poor today and with one or two exceptions have been since Christmas. I feel like we are going backwards

We’re still a massive work in progress. Before Xmas everybody thought we were contenders. Quite simply we are not good enough. The coach isn’t good enough, the recruitment isn’t good enough, the players aren’t good enough, the academy isn’t good enough and the fans aren’t good enough.

These are the facts.

But. We have improved on all of these fronts. If the season had gone WWLDLWLLDW or something similar we’d not be complaining about where we are. 

This season has gone. Let’s enjoy the next few games and see what next season brings. We have good reasons to be positive. As @williamspenalty mentioned.

4 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

We were better with the injuries. 

I laughed because its frustratingly true. And we would have been better off not bothering bringing anyone to the club in January; it made matters worse.

The team sheet in the Brentford match will live long in the memory for how bizarre it was. I would not be surprised to see more tinkering on Tuesday.

You're right that questions have to be asked, and you might start by seriously considering the notion that the owners decided that the team were over-achieving in the first half of the season - and how to rein things in a bit.

Since the Wolves game, everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong - from a weak transfer window to crucial red cards and extended returns of key injured players, from the team having the most shots on goal up to Christmas to the many games with zero or few shots on goal..

And whilst the clubs around us somehow failed to take advantage, we have witnessed the most bizarre team selections, tactics and substitutions ... call me a conspiracy theorist, but these things can happen when billionaires are involved (recent election rigging scandals).

If your original plan was for a sustainable ascent to the PL, and it clearly wasn't going to plan and you couldn't afford it, then change it back to the plan.

Archived