IGNORED

Should he stay or go

Topper 123

For me there are conditions. I'm stay at the nugent but only if LJ shows he's learned from this season and teaches the team how to play another way when the situation calls for it. 

At the moment we're so one dimensional that in the second half of the season teams have sussed out how to play us and we've not reacted to that at all. 

If the next season starts and we're still playing the same way and can't adapt when it's not working then at that point he needs to go. 

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

For me there are conditions. I'm stay at the nugent but only if LJ shows he's learned from this season and teaches the team how to play another way when the situation calls for it. 

At the moment we're so one dimensional that in the second half of the season teams have sussed out how to play us and we've not reacted to that at all. 

If the next season starts and we're still playing the same way and can't adapt when it's not working then at that point he needs to go. 

Part of the problem is we've stopped doing our one dimension and just lump the ball forward like a pub team. 

3 hours ago, Magger1 said:

3 wins in last 22 SHOCKING no shots on target in last 2 , some of these super star players will not get a game in championship next season , they’ve proved their not good enough and have no fight , I think fans have put up with enough, raising your game against prem sides and then slacking off is not exceptable 

His clueless tinkering tells me he will never take us up. 

Also he has not bought players cleverly. 

Probably make a decent div1 manager but championship he is not. 

I actually think that when we had a good run earlier this season it was more by luck than judgement and he was as surprised as us which is worrying. 

Ask yourselves honestly that if we had someone like Warnock in charge would we still be in the play off at least. 

GO NOW AND GET A PROPER MANAGER IN.......... Wont happen due to the SL and LJ love in. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, everyone, haven’t read all 3 pages, but saw this one.  I don’t think SL will accept a bottom half / relegation battle, and in fairness to SL, it was him saying he wanted to have a go at getting to the play-offs this season.  That was quite a statement, that many of us thought a bit stretched....surely mid-table / no relegation battle would suffice.  I don’t think SL suffers fools and as much as he’ll want LJ (with his City affinity) to succeed, I don’t believe for one minute it’s a "job for life".

In some respects, I'd probably prefer some lower-Prem or relegated-Prem team to believe he is the 8th best young manager in the "universe" (or whatever) and take him off our hands.  I think LJ is ambitious and I think if there was a sniff that either SL was beginning to lose faith or that he could t take us to the Prem, that he might happily go elsewhere.  There us no loyalty in football...honestly!

I’m so mixed re LJ, really like some things, don’t like others.

me to. My main worry with him is the rabbit in the headlights thing.

Listened to his radio interview. A mixture of  strange giggles, along saying we lacked upper body strength in defence and our ball players not putting there foot on the ball.

Even talked about players not putting there foot in, even over the ball. All in all was very strange and had such a familiar ring to it.

I like the bloke, but this is at least the third time he's been in this situation, but seems nowhere nearer finding the answers.

Ok for me start of next season is his last chance to find them.

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Ah, I see the LJ civil war has begun again, and the folks on here pointing the finger at Stephen Lansdown.

You'd have to be absolutely mad to want LJ sacked this season.  See what develops next season and watch what we are building.

Rome wasn't built in a day (first time I've ever used that ancient quote)!

LJ to stay for me, in case it isn't clear!

We aren’t building **** all mate, Cardiff are though, they’ll be in the premier league AGAIN next season... All this look what we’ve built really bugs me.. relegation battle next year with Lee in charge for me.. or much if the same!!

50 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Talk about how not to get the players on your side - serious questions need to be asked it appears?

Man management skills?

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/angry-lee-johnson-tells-bristol-1431069#comments-section

Sounds like a few players are on the naughty step again !!

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sounds like a few players are on the naughty step again !!

Quite probably, my playing days went no further than mid teens due to a lorry rearranging my knee. I certainly remember Sunday mornings when we started games with really good players not starting because they weren’t “in” with the coach, what usually happened was that they left and played elsewhere.  It was never a good feeling knowing you were not going to perform as well as you should because some of the team were far worse players than those not starting, amateur world I know but relative at city with a johnson at the helm - recent form tells me its relevant.

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

This thread simply highlights just how uninformed some fans are. 

Dont they ever listen to what SL says? ..................:facepalm:

The thread title asks "should he stay or go". Not whether SL will sanction it. 

Johnson's criticisms are spot on. The players need to step up and show more - a lot more. The problem is not Johnson's comments as part of his management, but rather that this is all his management can muster. After an average playing career, as a manager he's young, inexperienced and, as a short man, lacks physical presence. He simply can't muster the authority to either instill fear or put a fatherly arm around a player that needs it, both things that would come naturally to someone like Warnock. When things are going well, his attacking, playmaking philosophy works well, but when things are tough and man management assumes a greater importance, he doesn't have it. And this is not going to change any time soon.

2 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Johnson's criticisms are spot on. The players need to step up and show more - a lot more. The problem is not Johnson's comments as part of his management, but rather that this is all his management can muster. After an average playing career, as a manager he's young, inexperienced and, as a short man, lacks physical presence. He simply can't muster the authority to either instill fear or put a fatherly arm around a player that needs it, both things that would come naturally to someone like Warnock. When things are going well, his attacking, playmaking philosophy works well, but when things are tough and man management assumes a greater importance, he doesn't have it. And this is not going to change any time soon.

Think you may be close to the truth there

3 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

You might be on to something. 

Its a shame that many people these days (by which I mean footballers) have about as much backbone as a jellyfish. 

This is football, not World War 2.

12 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Serious question, how would you have managed it differently?

For weeks now he's been protecting the players, who have been underperforming. It has been mentioned by numerous posters in the last few days that LJ has a job for life and has the easiest management job in football. Shouldn't the same be asked of the players?

An example, A few months ago, Aden Flint signed a new contract and Joe Bryan was receiving plaudits left right and centre. Since then, our defence has been a shambles.

33 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Agree with most of that except the short man thing.

That's a load of bollocks, Shanks,Fergie,Clough were not big men.  What do you think is the optimum hight for a manager to have the respect of his players? 6/4?

To be fair Dicks and Cotts were ****** giants, and that's why they did so well.

Being as I'm 4/6 am also a billionaire and have 20,000 people in my many companies shoots your theory out of the water.

So do one you lanky ****:cool:

So being a rugby guy I know things are different in the round-ball version of football but I don't see why people are calling for his head. I accept that form is poor but he has turned things around from last season, raised the profile of sport in Bristol and oversaw a great cup run in which Man U, one of the giants of the game, were toppled. 

Is fatigue a factor? What about the psychology of getting close in the cup and losing near the end or being unable to focus on the league? Is confidence lacking? Are your conditioning bods doing their best? Sports psychologists employed? Even if Johnson went, who would come in and do a better job? 

From my view it looks like he's done well overall but not without flaws, perhaps with some work in the off-season could fix a lot? Maybe he needs some extra input from those around him? I don't see why you'd bin someone who has brought us a considerable way in the past year after a couple of months of treading water following great form. Pat Lam and co at the rugby had a similar poor patch these past couple of months after Xmas, lost our unbeaten record then looked really shaky, especially at home... until an away win in truly awful conditions then yesterday's awesome performance with an injury ravaged squad which probably ruined the minds of poor Ealing (our closest competition) who went and unexpectedly lost today giving us the championship title. Lam still has a lot of work to do before we get where we want to be and I'd imagine Johnson is the same. If the poor form continues into the coming season, sure it's probably time to part ways so have a contingency plan in place, but it may be a little premature right now. 

It's the most memorable season City have had in my lifetime (and a family member used to play for the club) and I fear that things could take a turn for a worse if we act too hastily.

I think its worth a reality check for some on here. Ranieri won the premier league with Leicester and then was sacked the year after when the team didn't perform.

LJ has not won us the premier league as a 2000/1 under dog - we got to the semi final of the league cup where we lost both home and away legs to man city and beat a strong but rotated man united team. We were also 2nd in the table at Christmas time.

We are now currently 8th in the championship having won something like 3 in 18 and continue to play poor and unattractive football against some of the lesser teams in the division. 

We have seen city play some great football this season but it seems we have been sussed out now and we seem to see no way of adapting to this. The fault sadly for this lies largely with the manager who seems to chop and change team selection and tactics week in week out, with no real idea of how to get us back playing as a team. 

Sadly as a fan of lj, I am not being entertained watching us play at the moment and I don't see him turning things around for us. For me this is not good enough and I'm not happy continuing to part with my hard earned cash to not be entertained. I think lee has reached his ceiling and instead of pumping money into new signings for the future .. sell some of these big money players we have and invest that in paying the wages to get in a quality championship manager 

I really want Lee to succeed but I have concerns. Even if we start like a train next season and are top of the league after 15 games, many fans, some players and maybe Lee himself, will be fearing and some no doubt expecting that a terrible run is just around the corner. Psychologically, that's not a great place for a football club to be.

12 hours ago, ReggyRed said:

You guys are hilarious. In poor form granted, but we are 9th in the league!

Correct - actually incorrect we are 8th but take your point.

The flip side though is that when LJ arrived he said - as they all do, except he previous manager - that he needed 3 windows. He then went on to mention the Premiership and even Europe.

Four windows not just three, despite 8th place that doesn't look very likely.

And more to the point if LJ needed 3 windows, what are we doing signing Diony in the 4th?

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Forget the views on here about them , Signing Diony and Kent and trying to keep shoehorning them in won’t have done him any favours with the rest of the squad 

Spot on. The existing players got us to 2nd and one of them loses his place to Diony for gods sake.

LJ said he needed 3 windows and in his fourth he signs that clown?  

Archived