IGNORED

If not LJ, then who?

ChippenhamRed

11 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

I wouldnt mind Pearson

Saying that I want who ever our manager is to succeed. At this time its LJ

I would be happy to have Warnock Holloway or any other hated manager if it meant we had success 

I like LJ. The long barren runs are concerning though. If he were to leave there are plenty of other candidates out there and I believe City are now an attractive proposition for all those guys I listed. 

Apologies in advance, I have not read all of this thread, but to cut a long story short, as I am sure has already been said numerous times on this thread, LJ will be the HC for as long as he wishes to be, regardless of results, league position OR indeed the league we are in.

BCFC and BS play by different rules to the rest of professional sport - get used to LJ and MA for as long as they want to be here

#toocosy

I was alright until today, happy to wait for LJ to gather experience, learn from mistakes etc  The worry are these repeated bad runs, we just can't keep having these.

I really don't want any more upheaval but just watching and listening to Mr Dyche on MOTD there is the sort of presence and decisiveness we are missing.

No, we're never going to be able to get him of course but Big Mick M with a fresh challenge and some  SL ££££'s as said in an earlier response......An interesting thought, perhaps ? ;)

Come on LJ there are still a good number of points to play for, sort this out and stop me thinking like this.

27 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Same here. Don’t give a rats arse who our manager is if they are successful. 

As things stand the two most successful managers at the club in my lifetime of following City are both called Johnson

One is called Johnson (Snr) the other successful manager is by a country mile.....Steve Cotterill.

2 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Mick McCarthy

Steve McClaren 

Alan Pardew

Nigel Pearson 

Slaven Bilic 

Roberto di Matteo

Jaap Stam

Ryan Nelsen

All hungry and with a point to prove one way or another. All more experienced and successful than Lee.

Really? :facepalm:

Colin knows how to get teams out of this league. Unpopular, but vastly more experienced than Lee.

Would be interested in Marco Silva, but can’t see him joining us somehow?

Lee Johnson shouldn’t be sacked this season as we will finish 10th which on paper is good.

However, these continual capitulations cast a very big doubt over whether he has the ability to learn from his mistakes. Is he just a one trick pony who does a lot of studying and can articulate well, but would be better suited as a second hand car salesman?

Now Eddie Howe is also a rather articulate young manager, but you can see how he is learning and becoming more and more tactically astute. The same can be said of Sean Dyche.

Personally, I don’t see these qualities in LJ. I just see him panicking and wondering what page of the training guide he needs to look at, rather than chucking the books in the bin and being able to read and alter what is actually happening on the field of play.

Lee will no doubt have the summer watching Flint, Bryan and Reid leave and will have time to bring in his DNA promising youngsters, but if I was the board the pressure would be on from Day 1 of next season, and if we are in the bottom 3 by the end of September then Lee Johnson has to go.

58 minutes ago, hodge said:

Yeah but why let that stop people ;)

we should always be looking to improve we do It with players why should a manager be any different you fail at your required remit out you go, it depends how long term the big bosses are looking.

38 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Apologies in advance, I have not read all of this thread, but to cut a long story short, as I am sure has already been said numerous times on this thread, LJ will be the HC for as long as he wishes to be, regardless of results, league position OR indeed the league we are in.

BCFC and BS play by different rules to the rest of professional sport - get used to LJ and MA for as long as they want to be here

#toocosy

Unfortunately you are 100% correct!

Its all a bit pointless though speculating, we all know he'll be here at the end of the season and we all know barring flirting with relegation he'll probably be here all next season.

As a Championship/L1 yoyo team anyone that brings us championship stability and flirts with the playoffs has to be considered a success, we aren't a successful enough club to be sacking managers aiming for promotion only ones that are in danger of taking us down.

Now i'm not excusing this seasons fall from grace or the way LJ seems unable to turn around a slide but the board will judge him on some preseason criteria like avoid relegation and get to R3 or 4 of the cups, while there will be disappointment all round we've capitulated a great position i'm guessing hes hit all his targets for the year comfortably.

I know I will probably get utterly destroyed for this but I wouldn't mind seeing Mcinnes given another go. But this time with a decent budget, starting with a half decent squad and without being instructed to slash the wage budget unlike last time.

Unfortunately, he wouldn't touch us with a barge pole though.

With the benefit of a bit of sleep, I've just watched Lee Johnson's post match interview (I normally steer clear win or lose) and I owe it to him to say I think that he is very genuine (probably unusually so) and says a lot of accurate stuff - if this really is where we're at then I apologise for indulging in a bit of what-if about alternatives.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/video-lee-johnson-post-millwall-away/

9 minutes ago, Olé said:

With the benefit of a bit of sleep, I've just watched Lee Johnson's post match interview (I normally steer clear win or lose) and I owe it to him to say I think that he is very genuine (probably unusually so) and says a lot of accurate stuff - if this really is where we're at then I apologise for indulging in a bit of what-if about alternatives.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/video-lee-johnson-post-millwall-away/

I agree that he comes across as sincere, wanting to improve and I'm sure as frustrated as anyone on here. The piece of the jigsaw that seems to be missing in the whole BCFC set up is the wise old hand who's been there and done it and can offer wisdom and reassurance, can steady the ship when things are going wrong and get things back on course swiftly. Full credit to the for the performances before Christmas but the coaching staff and playing squad are chaps without experience of experience at a higher level, or of getting there. That's the missing bit for me. At all levels. In football terms what have any of the regulars achieved at the highest level?

I'm including SL and MA in this. If we're stuck with Lee Johnson I'd like to think he had a mentor who can get hm through this seeming inability to turn around losing streaks. And I'd like to see some more proven experience in the playing squad, respected players with battle scars. We need leaders on and off the pitch.

8 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

We need leaders on and off the pitch.

Completely agree. There are no leaders at all. Bobby by example, but no one by fear. Korey is the only one who gees them up but no one, absolutely no one, gets into them and takes it personally when so many are off their game. Can you imagine half of Millwall's players tolerating the way we are playing? Players like Baker have a massive soft underbelly that a team like Millwall only need to tickle. There was so much hype about this bloke but he's being found out when we need performances.

Having commented on the video, the Lee Johnson press conference audio is an even more honest (and depressing) assessment, WOW, to quote a cliche he's pulling no punches (https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/audio-lee-johnson-post-millwall-away-press-conference/ from 2:50 onwards) - if he really feels that way about the players ("we've tried everything, given them a break ... if I knew the answer I'd have done it ... do they really want to be here") then I have both sympathy and respect for him. 

I wonder if our biggest problem is that LJ is never going to be a strong leader type figure (and if he's a good coach, he shouldn't have to be), BUT he  then also isn't comfortable having that sort of character in the team because strong and older personalities tend to end up clashing with him? Perhaps we're sort of in catch 22. As an observation, he  talks about busy players and I know what he means, but I also see a trend of them being  young, quiet, easily malleable players. It's no coincidence. 

I always fall back to business because that is what I know, and one of the easiest and most common mistakes/flaws in organisation I see time and again is younger managers/leaders (often with plenty going for them and lots of good ideas) downgrading the quality of leadership around them in their team because they are insecure in their own position and are terrified of being second guessed and can't manage strong personalities. And as a result the leadership throughout the team suffers.

If that is why we have no leaders, I think @Red Exile you have got to the heart of our problem.

6 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

#toocosy

Exactly this, jogging along singing the Lansdown song about developing young talent (then ignoring them) and buying cheap and with little to no exp in this league. No-one is going anywhere until ST sales drop below 12,000 then he may stop clapping and DO SOMETHING.

4 hours ago, Sydneybcfc said:

Its all a bit pointless though speculating, we all know he'll be here at the end of the season and we all know barring flirting with relegation he'll probably be here all next season.

As a Championship/L1 yoyo team anyone that brings us championship stability and flirts with the playoffs has to be considered a success, we aren't a successful enough club to be sacking managers aiming for promotion only ones that are in danger of taking us down.

Now i'm not excusing this seasons fall from grace or the way LJ seems unable to turn around a slide but the board will judge him on some preseason criteria like avoid relegation and get to R3 or 4 of the cups, while there will be disappointment all round we've capitulated a great position i'm guessing hes hit all his targets for the year comfortably.

We were matching Wolves at one stage yet dispite our epic fall (relegation form) since we are still not a million miles away from the top six, on paper anyway BIG chance lost by this club to make huge strides forward....the nearly club again. Poor poor Jan transfer window and trying to play them in a settled team/squad has cost us many millions and a chance of a lifetime. Hang your heads all at Bristol Sport and co.

7 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

#toocosy

Why does this utter nonsense still persist that Johnson wouldn’t be sacked even if we were relegated?

Lansdown is on record as saying that LJ’s position was reviewed at the low point last season. It was a knife edge decision. He nearly went then. The reason his job hasn’t been under threat since is because he has overseen substantial progress in our league position since so it hasn’t been an issue.

If LJ had continued his downward trajectory this season and we were again fighting relegation, he would almost certainly have gone. Just because he survived the sack once - a decision which has since been fully vindicated, by the way - doesn’t mean he is immune. There is no evidence that the board would stick with LJ even in the event of relegation but people spout it anyway as if it’s establsihed fact. It isn’t.

7 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

One is called Johnson (Snr) the other successful manager is by a country mile.....Steve Cotterill.

Your “country mile” is actually a win percentage better than LJ by just 2%, with the huge advantage of having managed most his games in the third tier.

73DF2CDB-7A63-40A8-807E-DC782DF1631A.jpeg

7 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Same here. Don’t give a rats arse who our manager is if they are successful. 

As things stand the two most successful managers at the club in my lifetime of following City are both called Johnson

You haven't lived long enough! Not your fault you were not born earlier. 

Just to summarise this thread so far, the only names frequently reappearing are Marcos Silva and Dean Smith. Most other suggestions have been derided as poor or unrealistic.

Personally having witnessed Brentford’s attractive and effective style against us last Monday, and despite my current stated position as backing LJ, I would quite happily start next season with Smith in charge.

If he goes and I'm very unsure that will happen in the foreseeable future, I believe that the format of a Head Coach of the first team is the sensible way forward. Our problem is that the present incumbent is just not good enough. The system is not at fault. Maybe he would be more useful as Head of the Academy? 

As stated, I agree with a head coach system, where the playing style is constant throughout the Academy and the first team. So we bring in a new HC, with maybe one assistant and don't have to change half a dozen others as we would if we got a "typical British manager" who would bring his own entourage in. 

I also hope that if and when LJ goes, we don't do the cheap option by promoting Holden or Macca as neither have any experience yet of a Head Coach role. 

Whether he stays or goes now/soon, we have to get the first team back to normal. The boom and bust system may suit some politicians but it's definitely not for football clubs. If we want a period of stability to develop our youngsters at this level, the W D L system is the safest way. 60 points a season is guaranteed to be well away from the bottom and not close enough to the top that you stop giving the Academy boys, good match experience. 

22 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Just to summarise this thread so far, the only names frequently reappearing are Marcos Silva and Dean Smith. Most other suggestions have been derided as poor or unrealistic.

Personally having witnessed Brentford’s attractive and effective style against us last Monday, and despite my current stated position as backing LJ, I would quite happily start next season with Smith in charge.

Lots of managers are capable of playing some attractive football - LJ included. Danny Wilson played some great stuff but sadly didn't win anything. I enjoyed watching his teams more than any other manager. LJ came close to matching him earlier this season with some great football and with a long list of injuries. 

Form has dipped since those injured players have started to return - is that a coIncidence?  

8 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

You’d rather stick with Lee?

I would rather stick with LJ than any of the Stam, McClaren, Pardew list without a doubt. Any one of those has been worse than LJ in recent jobs by a country mile. 

Dean Smith would be a great shout, although he’s only just signed a new deal with Brentford so he would be hard to attract.

Beyond him, we’ve always seemingly been linked with Michael Appleton when there’s been doubts about LJ before. Ashton worked with Appleton at Oxford and regards him highly I believe. I’m not sure that he’d be much of an upgrade on what we have either. 

7 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Look at Cotts record in the championship, he's a league one manager who couldn't do it at a higher level. LJ's achieving more by fighting for the play offs (even if we fall away and don't make it) and getting us to the league cup semi final 

8 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

You’d rather stick with Lee?

Bloody right I would, he's delivered our best season in 10 years, I understand fans disappointment at falling away but top 10/11 in the championship if year on year is still a good season for us as a club, Lee is improving each season so surely you keep him on until season positions start to regress. 

Archived