IGNORED

If not LJ, then who?

ChippenhamRed

Paul Hurst - Shrewsbury manager, challenging at the top of league one somehow. He’s had 3 teams promoted under his leadership in the past 10 years & looking to get a fourth this season. 

Mick McCarthy - Good manager at this level, doesn’t have a great relationship with the fans at Ipswich but he’s never had any money to spend since being there & still leads them to mid table finishes. 

Michael O’Neill - longshot because he’s recently signed a new contract with N.Ireland, but he’s worked wonders with that side. 

Graham Potter - Östersunds manager, he’s had them promoted from the fourth tier in Sweden all the way into the top flight over there and helped them qualify for the Europa League where they’ve recently beat Arsenal. Perhaps he’s the longest shot of them all because I feel a bigger club will take a chance on him soon. (Although, we don’t tend to have done very well when shopping in Sweden recently!)

8 minutes ago, hodge said:

Bloody right I would, he's delivered our best season in 10 years, I understand fans disappointment at falling away but top 10/11 in the championship if year on year is still a good season for us as a club, Lee is improving each season so surely you keep him on until season positions start to regress. 

I’m in two minds. He has delivered our best season in terms of league placing, style of football and a cup run too. Great to see players develop particularly Bobby. But then I worry about the recent run, it does seem to be a Johnson trait - can he learn from it and rectify it? He is a genuine bloke and talented but it is worrying. City are in such a strong position now on and off the pitch that we aren’t necessarily reliant on a managerial genius to take us up there are a number that could do it and who would want to come here so I will take that as a positive.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Your “country mile” is actually a win percentage better than LJ by just 2%, with the huge advantage of having managed most his games in the third tier.

73DF2CDB-7A63-40A8-807E-DC782DF1631A.jpeg

Cotterill won a league and cup double. We hadn’t been Champions since 1955? 

Win ratio? I bet Alan Dicks was bad and yet he gave us 4 years of top flight football.

The only stats are goals, promotions, championships and cups.

4 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

His jobs safe, get use to it

Exactly. Family friend and not going anywhere.

And for all the alternative names being suggested, don't forget SL does not get on with strong characters.

And they would need to be able to get on with junior Lansdown and slippery Mark.

I really don't see it with Dean Smith. Competent manager, teams play nice football, is well-rated by people outside the club, but his teams are prone to defensive lapses and contriving ways to lose when dominating possession. I suspect Brentford have a higher wage bill than us, have been in the division longer, are probably one of the best teams in the division on their and are about tenth. As they were last season. I don't think Dean Smith is a bad manager but I do think he is basically the manager we have already. 

So one of the other questions that has been raised is the level of experience of our coaching staff, especially to deal with a difficult patch or a stronger older character in the team. This is where an experienced director of football would earn their money. Someone who could provide sage advice, based on having been there and done that, who can objectively assess the players and systems, provide a much needed effective plan B (rather than through on another forward or 2 and revert hoofball), plus deal with senior pros, especially when they might start rocking the boat.

Someone like this would be complimentary to a Head Coach & it's not an unusual set-up in Europe. The Blue Few did it with Trollope & Lennie Lawrence, which before I get a load of abuse for mentioning them as an example, at least gave them some stability at L1 level. Then some bright spark on their board decided that Lennie didn't do much for what he was being paid so got rid of him, Trollope proved to be useless without his support, especially when things started going wrong,  they reverted to type, got relegated, went through a succession of poor managers & eventually went out of the league with Dopey Darrell being the last man left in the game of "pass the parcel".

The question is would LJ be willing to countenance a Director of Football, given that he must use his old man as a sounding board? And also do we have faith that BS has it within them to find the right person to play that role & be willing to pay them enough?

6 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

And for all the alternative names being suggested, don't forget SL does not get on with strong characters.

And they would need to be able to get on with junior Lansdown and slippery Mark.

This could be what is the underlying problem. It’s a bit like the FA constantly giving the England Manager’s job to wet lettuces and England failing continually.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think Mick McCarthy could end up at West Brom ...... but Allardyce is a decent shout too...

Just a punt BS4

Just don’t think he’ll be at Goodson next season

And he’s from that neck of woods originally 

Bit of a punt but could be a sneaky earner for somebody

5 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

So one of the other questions that has been raised is the level of experience of our coaching staff, especially to deal with a difficult patch or a stronger older character in the team. This is where an experienced director of football would earn their money. Someone who could provide sage advice, based on having been there and done that, who can objectively assess the players and systems, provide a much needed effective plan B (rather than through on another forward or 2 and revert hoofball), plus deal with senior pros, especially when they might start rocking the boat.

Someone like this would be complimentary to a Head Coach & it's not an unusual set-up in Europe. The Blue Few did it with Trollope & Lennie Lawrence, which before I get a load of abuse for mentioning them as an example, at least gave them some stability at L1 level. Then some bright spark on their board decided that Lennie didn't do much for what he was being paid so got rid of him, Trollope proved to be useless without his support, especially when things started going wrong,  they reverted to type, got relegated, went through a succession of poor managers & eventually went out of the league with Dopey Darrell being the last man left in the game of "pass the parcel".

The question is would LJ be willing to countenance a Director of Football, given that he must use his old man as a sounding board? And also do we have faith that BS has it within them to find the right person to play that role & be willing to pay them enough?

I think the problem is that Director of Football roles tend to work differently in Europe to Britain. I might be wrong but I don't think many Directors of Football in Europe - Barcelona had Raul Sanhelli for years and now have Javier Bordas for example - are experienced mangers in mentoring roles. Rather they are people who operate in a similar role to Mark Ashton in terms of overseeing everything that isn't the first team so the manager can focus on coaching.

Ultimately - with Trollope and Lawrence as a rare exception - when clubs have tried to have a manager set-up with an experienced manager as a Director of Football it has usually been a bit of a disaster. What you're describing isn't really so much having a Director of Football as having a mentor. 

47 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I don't want to be rude - but it's early and I feel a bit grumpy about yesterday so I will anyway - but I do think one needs a staggering level of naivety to believe someone who has made over a billion pounds over a lifetime working in the financial sector does get on with strong characters. If that were true, there would be literally no way he would be where he is today. I also don't really see someone who did not get on with strong characters offering a job to Mark Ashton who may not be everyone's cup of tea but is clearly a strong character. 

And I really hoped that, whilst the last couple of months have been disappointing, we had to got past the myth that Lansdown keeps LJ in a job out of sentiment. I am absolutely certain Lansdown believes Lee Johnson has the makings of an extremely good manager. He might well be wrong in that assessment but I do think it a tad disrespectful and rude to suggest someone who has invested a fortune into this club is keeping a mate in a job as a favour.

I think most of this "does not get on with strong characters" nonsense comes from the last few months with Cotts. And I don't think that had so much to do with "not getting on with strong characters" as "not getting on with passive-aggressive people with a huff on who used every ******* interview with the press to indicate they were unhappy with the club's transfer dealings and refused to fill the subs' bench in an attempt to prove a point". I love what Cotts did for the club but ultimately it was clear even from the outside he created a situation where it was untenable he could be kept in a job. That's not Lansdown's fault. 

I'm starting to think time may be up for LJ but I really hope that can happen without people peddling out tired myths and conspiracies. 

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't want to be rude - but it's early and I feel a bit grumpy about yesterday so I will anyway - but I do think one needs a staggering level of naivety to believe something who has made over a billion pounds over a lifetime working in the financial sector does get on with strong characters. If that were true, there would be literally no way he would be where he is today. I also don't really see someone who did not get on with strong characters offering a job to Mark Ashton who may not be everyone's cup of tea but is clearly a strong character. 

And I really hoped that, whilst the last couple of months have been disappointing, we had to got past the myth that Lansdown keeps LJ in a job out of sentiment. I am absolutely certain Lansdown believes Lee Johnson has the makings of an extremely good manager. He might well be wrong in that assessment but I do think it a tad disrespectful and rude to suggest someone who has invested a fortune into this club is keeping a mate in a job as a favour.

I think most of this "does not get on with strong characters" nonsense comes from the last few months with Cotts. And I don't think that had so much to do with "not getting on with strong characters" as "not getting on with passive-aggressive people with a huff on who used every ******* interview with the press to indicate they were unhappy with the club's transfer dealings and refused to fill the subs' bench in an attempt to prove a point". I love what Cotts did for the club but ultimately it was clear even from the outside he created a situation where it was untenable he could be kept in a job. That's not Lansdown's fault. 

I'm starting to think time may be up for LJ but I really hope that can happen without people peddling out tired myths and conspiracies. 

You may be right. But I would hazzard a guess that he has not run his football club in the same manner that Hargreaves Lansdown was run. Comparing the two is a bit far fetched really, and parallels don't really hold up. But to follow your argument i would throw in a couple of thoughts. For a start he wasn't in sole control and secondly if the "form" of the financial investments had been the same as the football club then I suspect he would not be in the financial situation he now is.

As far as Cotts was concerned, and the situation has been done ad infinitum, but I would just say, what ever the rights and wrongs of what went on back then, there was considerable interference and undermining in play and it's a widely held view that LJ was already being lined up.

You have your thoughts and I'm more than happy with mine.

9 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

One is called Johnson (Snr) the other successful manager is by a country mile.....Steve Cotterill.

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Gary was one....who is the other?

Sorry I meant success at this level. 

Cotterill was great in L1 but he’s not capable of keeping a team in this league. 

I have no idea who to bring in next should SL actually tire of the long poor runs. The Cowley brothers are doing brilliantly and will be taking Lincoln to Wembley for the first time in history today, took them to the FA cup quarters last year and sit comfortably in the playoff positions.They also got Braintree into the Conference massively over achieving and getting into the playoffs for the football league. That, to me , is a young up and coming managers not someone  who has had a couple of mid table finishes and avoided a couple of relegations. 
I keep hoping many of us are wrong , and that LJ will prove to be that long term successful coach we want, but each year there is that horrible run and this years show no signs of ending. 

2 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

???? Nothing, what’s that got to do with that ridiculous list of managers?

Why is it ridiculous? They are by and large available successful managers. I’m just answering the original question which was 

Who is a realistic candidate who we can we be genuinely confident would do a better job than LJ next season?

12 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I back LJ to remain in charge based on the principle of season-on-season incremental progress - but equally I understand and share the concern, even alarm, caused by our post-Christmas decline.

Since it now appears to be back in vogue to call for the manager’s head - who is the answer? Who is a realistic candidate who we can we be genuinely confident would do a better job than LJ next season?

Genuine question. Answers on a postcard please, and please give your reasons.

In anticipation - “anyone but LJ” is not an answer.

little Lee is not going anywhere not with Lansdown pulling the strings

7 minutes ago, GIBBO THE GREAT said:

little Lee is not going anywhere not with Lansdown pulling the strings

in one; now lets begin the (pointless)  build up and hope for next season

20 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Why is it ridiculous? They are by and large available successful managers. I’m just answering the original question which was 

Who is a realistic candidate who we can we be genuinely confident would do a better job than LJ next season?

So successful that they’re almost all out of work during the football season?

22 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Largely successful managers who are all unemployed. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the problem is that Director of Football roles tend to work differently in Europe to Britain. I might be wrong but I don't think many Directors of Football in Europe - Barcelona had Raul Sanhelli for years and now have Javier Bordas for example - are experienced mangers in mentoring roles. Rather they are people who operate in a similar role to Mark Ashton in terms of overseeing everything that isn't the first team so the manager can focus on coaching.

Ultimately - with Trollope and Lawrence as a rare exception - when clubs have tried to have a manager set-up with an experienced manager as a Director of Football it has usually been a bit of a disaster. What you're describing isn't really so much having a Director of Football as having a mentor. 

GJ back as DOF and Cotts back at Cheltenham.  It all fits. :whistle:

Sssssshhh Move along please, nothing to see here.

Neil Warnock (would leave Cardiff if they went up, has said he prefers the champ)

Mick McCarthy - remarked earlier in the season how he would love to be able to spend £5M plus on a striker like Diedhiou. Proven record in this league

Chris Wilder 

Tony Mowbray

Steve McLaren

Alan Pardew

Gordon Strachan

Dean Smith

Neil Harris

Plenty of decent options. But our lot would just promote McAllister. 

There's a lot of nonsense written on this thread. From the list of potential managers to replace Lee Johnson,  to the doom mongering of our current form. In my opinion,  we were never as good as we thought before Christmas,  a considerable amount of luck went our way...Sheffield utd away, Hull city away for example,  where draws became wins and losses draws, we rode our luck. 

Second half of season has caught up with us, wins becoming draws, and draws now losses. A mixture of not good enough, squad depth, and the high press game taking its toll

As for some on here suggesting Dean Smith as Lee's replacement,  should there be a vacancy (there won't be), how many would have suggested him while at Walsall?  So rather than the same old so called big names,  it's not always the obvious choice! 

Having said that, with the philosophy now in place at the club, more likely than ever to be an in-house appointment to carry on if indeed a change was even being thought about.

Archived