IGNORED

Match Report: "You're ****ing S***" said Millwall and they were right

Olé

8 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

I think Kelly and Vyner will play big roles next season and have more potential than Flint or Bryan. The gap will be in experience so we must be prepared for a few mistakes along the way. 

Also think Pack might go and that would leave a bigger hole. 

Kelly certainly has potential to more than adequately replace JB

I still think Flint , despite plenty of plaudits is actually  massively undervalued as a package on here (Some will still maintain overrated)

I like to watch different aspects of games , not always ‘follow the ball’ (Watch who’s talking , who’s organising or just an individuals behaviour) and for me Flint has become more and more important for us

Together with Korey they are the closest we’ve got to leaders who gee up another player and I think Flint has a real drive and continues to improve each season which is an admirable quality and exactly the type of example we want in the dressing room for yo7nger players to look up to

I also suspect he may be quietly seen as a figurehead type leader within the squad / side and I fear a real part of our foundations may slip further when Flint departs

9 hours ago, spudski said:

Fans need to stop blaming the manager...today's team was arguably the best first eleven we've got, which fans have been screaming for.

They've proven themselves in the past, and LJ hasn't changed the tactics dramatically...so why do so many blame the manager and not the players?

You set them up to play, which they've done in the past, and they fail...yet so many blame LJ.

You can motivate and set up as much as you want, but I really do put the blame at the foot of the players.

So easy to blame managers, as they are an easy option. But some of our players right now are questionable.

I can't see some of them being here right now next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if deals have already been done, and some are playing within their limits so to speak.

I would wager a decent wedge that Bryan is one of those who already has a deal done.

2 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

I would wager a decent wedge that Bryan is one of those who already has a deal done.

And I wouldn't be surprised either mate.

There have been some comments in the last few months, where LJ has mentioned players not performing, whether they want to be here next season, not doing as asked and they will be off etc.

With what happened or lack of it in January, imo, there have been 'agreements' put in place for the summer.

Just my hunch. Performances have lacked enthusiasm and energy from some players, almost going through the motions.

That shows when quality in front of goal dips.

Strangely we had 64% possession yesterday and 11 goal attempts to Millwalls 12.

Playing the same way as before and changing it during the game...nothing seems to be clicking in the final 3rd.

One player who looks disinterested is Pato.

@Olé my comment wasn't aimed at you mate...just a general comment.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

And I wouldn't be surprised either mate.

There have been some comments in the last few months, where LJ has mentioned players not performing, whether they want to be here next season, not doing as asked and they will be off etc.

With what happened or lack of it in January, imo, there have been 'agreements' put in place for the summer.

Just my hunch. Performances have lacked enthusiasm and energy from some players, almost going through the motions.

That shows when quality in front of goal dips.

Strangely we had 64% possession yesterday and 11 goal attempts to Millwalls 12.

Playing the same way as before and changing it during the game...nothing seems to be clicking in the final 3rd.

One player who looks disinterested is Pato.

@Olé my comment wasn't aimed at you mate...just a general comment.

17 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

I don't think it's even a deal done just that he's fed up of playing in a position he doesn't enjoy/feel comfortable or excel at. I've thought he's looked pee'd off for a while… imo only :city:

31 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Patterson again and most importantly kept his hair clean, was weak in the challenge, hid, and made poor choices.

Always been the same with Paterson, and it's even more evident when we're playing badly like the last 2 games. That bloke would shy away from a 50/50 or aerial duel with a 10 year old.

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Strangely we had 64% possession yesterday and 11 goal attempts to Millwalls 12

With deference to the visually impaired if we had 11 goal attempts (sic) yesterday then whoever compiled the stats needs to get themselves to Specsavers. If they counted Djuric's late effect, the one where had the goal been twice as high and three times as wide the ball would still have missed, then shame on them. If memory serves Bryan's late cross, the one that curled tamely into the keeper's hands in front of the post at the final whistle, was the only ball that may have hit the net had the opposition not been there.

We did however have a few attempts on the crowd. Methinks the strikers had watched Murray in his ever borish warm-up.

13 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I don't think it's even a deal done just that he's fed up of playing in a position he doesn't enjoy/feel comfortable or excel at. I've thought he's looked pee'd off for a while… imo only :city:

Completely agree. Didnt go yesterday but I thought it was very evident on Monday especially and not for the first time. 

7 minutes ago, lenred said:

Completely agree. Didnt go yesterday but I thought it was very evident on Monday especially and not for the first time. 

A game that changed on formation changes ... Bryan and Reid in Midfield: I for one would like to see it again, though I don't think we ever will now:

http://www.footballtube.com/videos/bristol-city-3-1-aston-villa--english-championship-highlights--27-8-2016

It does seem January is having a massive impact on our downward slide and whilst never a Johnson fan and unsure if he should stay or go, it is certain players performance that have been way below the standards set earlier in the season. Just some thoughts on possible reason why, but am not ITK

1. Not sure squad look like a united group, possible splits and infighting
  2. Poor recruitment, Diony gamble backfired, Kent (who is shit) allegedly having to play (could piss off some players)
  3. Changing system to incorporate players like Kent
  4. Lack of real push in January given negative message to players that its OK to tread water
  5. Possible players moves out blocked until summer, so just playing out the season
  6. We don't seem to have the energy and joined up pressing as per earlier season
  7. Confidence has been shot in teams ability to win or see out games
  8. Players playing with injuries ahead of others who are not

Or could be we have either found are level or the players are not playing fro the manager, but this is not he same team I watched earlier in the year and whilst I do think LJ has F**cked up some recent games for this group not to even get a shot on target shows their is a bit more to than just tactics.

What ever the issue needs to be addressed or we are in for a painful season next year

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

It does seem January is having a massive impact on our downward slide and whilst never a Johnson fan and unsure if he should stay or go, it is certain players performance that have been way below the standards set earlier in the season. Just some thoughts on possible reason why, but am not ITK

1. Not sure squad look like a united group, possible splits and infighting
  2. Poor recruitment, Diony gamble backfired, Kent (who is shit) allegedly having to play (could piss off some players)
  3. Changing system to incorporate players like Kent
  4. Lack of real push in January given negative message to players that its OK to tread water
  5. Possible players moves out blocked until summer, so just playing out the season
  6. We don't seem to have the energy and joined up pressing as per earlier season
  7. Confidence has been shot in teams ability to win or see out games
  8. Players playing with injuries ahead of others who are not

Or could be we have either found are level or the players are not playing fro the manager, but this is not he same team I watched earlier in the year and whilst I do think LJ has F**cked up some recent games for this group not to even get a shot on target shows their is a bit more to than just tactics.

What ever the issue needs to be addressed or we are in for a painful season next year

Good post IMHO

57 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

With deference to the visually impaired if we had 11 goal attempts (sic) yesterday then whoever compiled the stats needs to get themselves to Specsavers.

The 11 is a rather generous count of shots full stop - we had zero on target as you know. Sadly in the world of stats, the 35 yarders from Baker and Pack (both, it should be mentioned, with players in front of them and out wide too) which both were only a danger to passing trains, do count towards our 11. Meanwhile in terms of actually working the keeper, we've now got to 9 shots on target in our last 5 matches, of which 5 were against Ipswich at Ashton Gate, 2 were both our goals at Barnsley, and the remaining 2 were allegedly both at Burton, but I remember at best one in the 92nd minute that was blocked 10 yards out. So even 9 in 5 is generous.

Agree fully with your other post by the way - you put it more sharply and directly than I managed. Ignore my ratings, which generally start at 5 simply for turning up, and if a player doesn't make a complete arse of themselves, can only go up from there. It is hard to rate anonymity. On reflection they were all 4's except Bobby.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Well Millwall ( yes, Millwall) did that to our midfield 5 yesterday. 

I keep seeing you include implied digs that Bristol City are a far superior football club to Millwall in your posts (the 'might' of Millwall). However, historically the clubs are very similar in terms of of achievement in the Football League.

Bristol City have played 49 seasons of Second Tier football, compared to Millwall's 40; and City have played 45 seasons of Third Tier football compared to Millwall's 43. Bristol City joined the FL earlier than Millwall and made a good impact, finishing First Runners-up in 1907 & FA Cup Runners-up in 1909. However, Millwall turned down the opportunity to join the FL in the 1890s & again in the early 1900s, as they wanted to remain loyal to the Southern League that they had created. Millwall were it's dominant force at a time it was equal in strength to the bottom of the First Division; as demonstrated by the waves made in the FA Cup by reaching the FA Cup Semi-Finals in 1900 and 1903; and with Southern League Spurs winning it & Southampton finishing Runners-up. 

In fact, since the introduction of four tiers in the English football pyramid in 1958 Millwall have played 2 seasons in the Top Tier, 31 seasons of Second Tier football, 21 seasons in the Third Tier and 5 in the 4th Tier; compared to Bristol City's record of 4 Top Tier seasons, 28 Second Tier, 25 Third Tier and 2 Fourth Tier seasons. So, you could argue that both are Second Tier football clubs in stature. 

In my life-time Bristol City have played the majority of their football in the Third Tier; 20 seasons out of 38. Whereas Millwall have played the majority in the Second Tier, with 20 seasons. Also, in that time Millwall have played in an FA Cup Final, two FA Cup Semi-Finals, 4 FA Cup Quarter-Finals and in the UEFA Cup. Bristol City have not progressed past the 5th Round.  

Considering that whatever way you look at it Millwall are an historical force in the Second Tier of football it's getting a bit irksome that I am constantly seeing opposition fans be-little us in this way after their team is beaten by us. Especially when you also take into account that Millwall are historically the 5th best home team in English football! 

@Piccolo - I can't speak for others comments, but I don't believe anyone is talking down Millwall, you just need the context that as a club we've actually spent a lot of money this past couple of seasons (hard to recognise where, right!?) while simultaneously preaching consolidation and long term progress.

So anytime a club that has just come up a division and spending very little, puts one over on us, this language is used by our fans to emphasise the indignity. It's not to be condescending about your club, it's being sarcastic about ours. I thought Millwall were the better side in BOTH games against us this season.

Apart from the result had a great day yesterday drinking before and after in New Cross - I know what you said but we took our chances as I believe there's a lot of decent Millwall about in my locals and that they were. Chatted to lots before and after, no issues at all. The pantomime aspect to the fixture is overblown.

32 minutes ago, Piccolo said:
2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Well Millwall ( yes, Millwall) did that to our midfield 5 yesterday. 

I keep seeing you include implied digs that Bristol City are a far superior football club to Millwall in your posts (the 'might' of Millwall).

No slight intended. Millwall have always been 'my London club' since I moved here nearly 40 years ago and I've  enjoyed watching them on many an occasion. I've many friends who are your season ticket holders and we regularly discuss our respective merits. The point I was implying ( albeit unsuccessfully it appears,) was many on this forum seem to think we (City) are very, very good (we aren't) and we've a divine right to roll over the Millwalls and Barnsleys of this world (we don't.) The comparison was re the comments many made here about the way in which we 'passed it around several Premier clubs this year' but couldn't do so against you, and I'd think even you'd concur you aren't Premier standard yet.

I'd argue that perhaps the potential quality of City's squad is higher than yours but that counts for now't if it isn't deployed in a structured and commited way.  Yesterday,  (again) and as Harris has mastered most of the season,  you played to your strengths AND limitations, did so with proficient efficiency and wiped the floor with us.

So I'd agree we really aren't all that different, save in the minds of those carried away by City's early season, over-achieving efforts.

29 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Only thing I enjoyed yesterday was hearing London Calling before the game yesterday. Thought Millwalls atmosphere at times was great. 

Thought the pre match parade of  elderly dockers was also a nice touch.

19 hours ago, Spoons said:

The part when @Olé describes Millwall fans singing ' you're ******* s***' and agreeing with it. 

We were awful but don't want to sink That low.

Truth hurts buddy. We were shit. 

19 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I'm genuinely concerned about next season :crying:

Me too. We’re still relying on our best players being those we’ve had for 5 seasons. Worried about these “signings for the future” needing to start stepping up. 

18 hours ago, tommy_b said:

Only based on the Ch5 highlights, but it looks like Pack just let his man stroll away from him and that gave him all his space.

Am I being unfair with my mind playing tricks but has this not happened a few times lately with Pack? 

Either failing to track and letting players just skip away from him or actually stopping and focussing elsewhere as his man carries on?

Wallace was not Pack’s men per sé. If anything, Flint is the one who is spare and needs to close down. But I think blaming anyone for this goal is harsh as it was a pure wonder strike. 

9 hours ago, forbespm said:

Millwall fans crowing on there forum how they beat us easily on the pitch and in bermondsey!

Yep they got the better of a brave and hardy bus load once they had superior numbers. 

7 hours ago, Red Army 87 said:

I wouldn’t. I just think he’s shit and has been overhyped by lots of fans coz he scores the occasional screamer or puts in the occasional sliding tackle. He’s shit. 

Good report as usual from ole. He’s right, the writing has been on the wall a long time but we get too emotionally involved to see it. Pre Xmas we were shit vs Millwall, Brum, Brentford, Burton, Preston & Leeds. We also got luckyish wins at Sheff U & Hull after being poor in those games for long spells. Lucky point away at Wolves too where they absolutely battered us. Since Xmas we’ve played well in about 2 games. Hugely overhyped season. I wish people would quit with the “we’d have taken it at the start”. BS. We’ve been shit for months and it’s not good enough. 

16 hours ago, Enter Sandman said:

Good report as usual from ole. He’s right, the writing has been on the wall a long time but we get too emotionally involved to see it. Pre Xmas we were shit vs Millwall, Brum, Brentford, Burton, Preston & Leeds. We also got luckyish wins at Sheff U & Hull after being poor in those games for long spells. Lucky point away at Wolves too where they absolutely battered us. Since Xmas we’ve played well in about 2 games. Hugely overhyped season. I wish people would quit with the “we’d have taken it at the start”. BS. We’ve been shit for months and it’s not good enough. 

We were shit Saturday absolutely, and performances have been deteriorating rapidly from Cardiff away. However the defensive structure last 3 games totally fell apart- conceding 20 shots a game.

• Millwall at home? Hard fought draw but a bit lucky.
  • Birmingham away? Deserved a point or more. Played very nicely first half, got outmaneuvered in the 2nd. We hit the woodwork three times though, so we certainly could and should have got more.
  • Brentford away? We should have lost by several.
  • Burton at home? Flat, but still should, perhaps could have won. Wrongly disallowed goal denied us.
  • Preston at home? Had the bulk of the ball, but definitely insufficient chances. Perhaps could have got a draw had we rallied a bit earlier.
  • Leeds at home? Deservedly lost but 3-0 flattered them a bit.
  • Wolves away? I think maybe they could have edged it but we played well and caused them more issues than a lot of sides have.

Played the wrong formation in a number of those games though, wrong tactics too.

Great write up, couldnt get to the game, had to work, listened to it on the radio, to be honest glad I didn't sounded like a waste of hard earned cash, still I hope to have a better time watching Shakespears " Comedy of Errors " at Ashton Gate this Tuesday, it kicks of at 7.45pm and the  11 actors are all in red.

Archived