IGNORED

The Rising Sun- up for sale?

Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

With respect, that seems to ignore the capital cost of buying it and the overheads for running it. There’s no point in chasing match day revenue if you can’t make  the place pay overall, so that you have a worthwhile return on your capital.

Isn't there talk of a BS Sport themed sports pub being built on the Wickes site when its cleared?

7 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I think were looking at this from totally different angles. I'm not talking about SL buying it as a going concern, merely as an extension of the stadium facilities for supporters. (Football & Rugby)

We have a sports bar at the ground which is wholly inadequate. Nowhere where the average fan get go in sit down for a pint and a pie and chips. Having a pub within spitting distance of the ground would make sense, to me at least, even if it was only open 2 or 3 days per week.

If he doesn't buy it as a going concern then why buy it in the first place ?  Do we expect SL to lose money just so we can have a pie and a pint at his expense ?

1 minute ago, glynriley said:

Isn't there talk of a BS Sport themed sports pub being built on the Wickes site when its cleared?

I’ve no idea, but you can be sure SL wouldn’t spend the money without a business plan showing projected profits. It may of course work if the site has more frequent events - eg basketball and gigs as well as football and rugby.

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Not if it's owned by Bristol Sport. I can't imagine it's own sports bar or coffee shop turns a profit 7 days per week.

Anyway, get the right people running it and smarten it up a bit, there's no reason why it couldn't. Food, Live music, skittles, darts & pool teams.

Food, live music, skittles, darts and pool teams is exactly why it thrived in the 70s and 80s.

The rising sun is 100% an EiG (Enterprise) pub. The former landlady moved out in Jan/Feb time and I was told that new tenants were going in - obviously not.

Re: The Robins, I'm not sure that is an Enterprise pub as it was never on my list to visit there.

(I was a sales rep for a brewery in the south west in a past life!)

Just thought I'd have a quick read up on whats killing the pubs off, seems to be many reasons. I used to drink out every night before all the price rises came in. Now I just have a few at home. 

2014 article, 48,000 pubs were left then, must be lower by now.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11283995/The-real-reasons-for-the-tragic-demise-of-the-British-pub-industry.html

5 minutes ago, devoncider said:

The rising sun is 100% an EiG (Enterprise) pub. The former landlady moved out in Jan/Feb time and I was told that new tenants were going in - obviously not.

Re: The Robins, I'm not sure that is an Enterprise pub as it was never on my list to visit there.

(I was a sales rep for a brewery in the south west in a past life!)

I'm afraid it is. Can't find it now but I saw it on an Enterprise Inns link a few days ago when investigating the Rising Sun. The Robins was on there along with a number of other Bristol pubs, including an all time favourite of mine The White Horse, WOT.

57 minutes ago, BigTone said:

They make money one day every 2nd week and the rest they are empty

May be something in that, but they must do enough custom on those busy Saturdays and Sundays (Bristol Rugby fans now as well, of course) to make up for several quieter days and both the Robins and The Rising Sun seem well frequented when I go past on Summer evenings.

13 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

May be something in that, but they must do enough custom on those busy Saturdays and Sundays (Bristol Rugby fans now as well, of course) to make up for several quieter days and both the Robins and The Rising Sun seem well frequented when I go past on Summer evenings.

I doubt it very much Noggers. Why else are they looking to close down ? Remember as well, are the football & rugby crowds there 12 months of the year or just during the season ?

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm afraid it is. Can't find it now but I saw it on an Enterprise Inns link a few days ago when investigating the Rising Sun. The Robins was on there along with a number of other Bristol pubs, including an all time favourite of mine The White Horse, WOT.

https://www.eipublicanpartnerships.com/run-a-pub/pubs/pages/robins-ashton.aspx

https://www.eipublicanpartnerships.com/run-a-pub/pubs/pages/rising-sun-bristol.aspx

• Admin
37 minutes ago, BigTone said:

and where is that now ?

In a lot of memories, when it was called the Star, drinking underage in there  when we were hanging around Ashton Park, later it was the meeting place for the Triumph Owners Club and latterly back as the Wedlock’s, so many great nights in there and after game nights topped off with one of Stuart’s curries that had most of a bottle of Insanity Sauce in........

Just now, Maesknoll Red said:

In a lot of memories, when it was called the Star, drinking underage in there  when we were hanging around Ashton Park, later it was the meeting place for the Triumph Owners Club and latterly back as the Wedlock’s, so great nights in there and topped of with one of Stuart’s Currys that had most of a bottle of Insanity Source in........

That's the sad thing though isn't it. We all have memories of our old pubs but times they are a changing. Really depressing but very true.

• Admin
1 minute ago, BigTone said:

That's the sad thing though isn't it. We all have memories of our old pubs but times they are a changing. Really depressing but very true.

It’s a terrible thing that supermarkets sell beer cheaper than water, putting pubs out of business, I never even used to keep any drink in the house, would go out most nights, now I do have the odd drink at home, but still get out to pubs every week, it’s just not the same drinking at home.

1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It’s a terrible thing that supermarkets sell beer cheaper than water, putting pubs out of business, I never even used to keep any drink in the house, would go out most nights, now I do have the odd drink at home, but still get out to pubs every week, it’s just not the same drinking at home.

Know how you feel.

When I was in Saudi the petrol was cheaper than water .......... true !!!!

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

In that case my data was old and useless!

19 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

People have less disposable income too in a lot of cases so it's a no-brainer to buy a lot more from shops.

Assuming enterprise want to sell the price would be remarkably cheap. A building worth £1,000,000 as a house/office etc, would be lucky to fetch £400k as a pub.

Interesting as the telegraph article is above - its not accuarate. My first job was for a brewery (back in 1971) back then rents were not seen as an income stream, so a basic back street drinkers local would have a monthly rental of £5  (beer at the time was 12p a pint) when I left my back street village drinkers pub in 2009 the rental was £2500 a month   if beer had gone up at the same rate that 12p pint would be £60 now! so the idea that the pub companies are not profiteering b*stards is completely wrong - like a lot of other "news/analysis" in the telegraph.

I could still make a reasonable living from my pub, but others who followed me couldn't and its now shut.

If the club were to buy the Sun (again assuming Enterprise would sell) they would make sufficient money from match days (profit on a £3 pint is £1.50 - staff wages are not far off minimum wage) to make it support a tenant or manager on non match days.

Two questions - why would SL buy a pub to encourage people to drink outside of Ashton Gate on match days, when the objective must be to maximise income inside the stadium? As for non-match days, he’s not in the pub trade, so why buy a pub?

Archived