IGNORED

The Bristol City v Birmingham City Match Day Thread 42

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Boro losing is a big deal. It gives us - and admittedly everyone else - a window of opportunity, especially given Millwall’s fixture list.

We have made it extremely hard for ourselves. I do not think we will get into the playoffs. Think it needs a win at Boro, which is a huge ask. But at least we are still in it.

Millwall and Borough have for horrible remaining fixtures and ours should be easier apart from this Sat at Borough.

5 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Anything particularly of note? 

Nothing particular. His general analysis and reading of the ebb and flow of the game impressed me. Many ex-players struggle to articulate the essence of games however it seemed he was very much reflecting the realities of what was unfolding. As Old-Eastender mentioned he could be management material, that’s if he fancies all that goes with that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great to have a win and grateful for the 3 points but don't lets kid ourselves that was 2 less than average teams out there tonight and we looked exactly what we have morphed into, a team that has totally run out of ideas and sadly lacking any midfield quality.

Kelly although naive at times looks like the senior player and Bryan looks like the novice (yes I know he is not a right back but he has looked like this for a while now), Baker looks as though he has already settled for an early holiday to me and has lost interest.

Midfield was weak and poor, you have to admire Brownhill's energy and endeavour but Smith is inexplicably out of form and Pack although he scored with a great free kick drifted out of the game during the 2nd half and Diedhiou and Djuric really lack quality for me.

Again can't fault Reid and Taylor proved what most people already knew put the ball in the right areas and he will score, pity it's taken over a year to work that out.

I will take the 3 points all day long but we desperately need some quality in the summer boy do we need it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Great to have a win and grateful for the 3 points but don't lets kid ourselves that was 2 less than average teams out there tonight and we looked exactly what we have morphed into, a team that has totally run out of ideas and sadly lacking any midfield quality.

Kelly although naive at times looks like the senior player and Bryan looks like the novice (yes I know he is not a right back but he has looked like this for a while now), Baker looks as though he has already settled for an early holiday to me and has lost interest.

Midfield was weak and poor, you have to admire Brownhill's energy and endeavour but Smith is inexplicably out of form and Pack although he scored with a great free kick drifted out of the game during the 2nd half and Diedhiou and Djuric really lack quality for me.

Again can't fault Reid and Taylor proved what most people already knew put the ball in the right areas and he will score, pity it's taken over a year to work that out.

I will take the 3 points all day long but we desperately need some quality in the summer boy do we need it.

This! Especially when we’re in the prem.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Spot on!

Thought we would mess up again tonight especially when they got one back.

All we can hope for is tonight's result has given back some belief. Wouldn't be surprised if we replicate the same tactics for the last 4 games. More direct and win second balls and try as put as many balls in the box as possible and see what happens. It's about winning now and not pretty football!!

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

Spot on!

All we can hope for is tonight's result has given back some belief. Wouldn't be surprised if we replicate the same tactics for the last 4 games. More direct and win second balls and try as put as many balls in the box as possible and see what happens. It's about winning now and not pretty football!!

Thought we were a bit more solid in the second half. The result is everything of course, and who knows, but Birmingham cut us apart at times in that game far to easily, particularly in the first half, and if they had taken their chances would have won.

Fammy looked easily pushed off the ball, but did contribute to our second. Reid, Fammy and Djuric looks one to many at the same time.

Still got a sliver of a chance, so very happy with the win of course.

8 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Spot on!

Probably this is the only hope we have to regain a place in the playoff: a strong reaction and some ugly wins, with some help ( = good results) from the other pitches.  A slight hope IMO, but still better than nothing, nah? :whistle:

Edited by Dan Robin
9 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Delighted that we won but looks like 3-1 flattered us. Based on the highlights Brum created some excellent chances, if they’d been a bit more clinical / shown a little more composure, we could have easily conceded two or three tonight. 

Will need to defend much better at Boro.

• Like 1

Needed a win. Better finishing from Birmingham mind and it might have been a different story. Great to see the snake back and scoring goals. I actually think he is quite an intelligent little footballer and am quite surprised by those who say he isn’t up to it and needs offloading? Plus, his gif is tremendous. Sags are FUMING tonight. Livid!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Needed a win. Better finishing from Birmingham mind and it might have been a different story. Great to see the snake back and scoring goals. I actually think he is quite an intelligent little footballer and am quite surprised by those who say he isn’t up to it and needs offloading? Plus, his gif is tremendous. Sags are FUMING tonight. Livid!

I think a fair few are prejudiced against him just because he's ex gas! He is as you say quite an intelligent player and what we've been missing for a few months! 

• Like 2

Much better tonight. I was concerned at half time that they'd got a goal back, had chances, were finding gaps in our half and looked likely to score again but we were more solid in the second half.

Joe Bryan had his best game for a while. Lloyd Kelly was very assured. Great interplay between Reid and Taylor for the third goal.

The Djuric/Diedhiou pairing hasn't really worked yet - other players haven't been close enough to get the knock downs or to pick up the loose balls.

It's good to finally beat Brum again, though.

• Like 1