IGNORED

What a bloody fantastic season this is!

reddogkev

Well done to all the players, fans, and management for giving us this unforgettable season.

Tonight, I've cheered and screamed like an absolute wild man and now can barely talk.  Whatever happens now, this season is fantastic and I salute everyone involved.

I have a lot of love for LJ and the players for giving us another win to celebrate and stopping the mini-rot.  Not many people tipped us to beat Birmingham this evening and I am bloody  over the moon!

We haven't beat them since 1993, how was that even possible!

Roll on Boro, now going to ask the bank manager (the wife) if the funds are there for me to get my ass up there.

My final thought: Singing Superstar, are you driving up???

I've also really enjoyed this season. We've generally been poor since Christmas with the odd decent performance mixed in but despite many people's attempts to convince you otherwise the season didn't start at Christmas.  Our performances before Christmas are as much a part as after Christmas and I'm more than happy being 18 points better off than we were this time last season.  

P.s. our cup run beating 4 premier league teams will live long in the memory for me.  

9 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Lets not get too carried away.

Remember the Sheff Wednesday game? And the QPR game?

No more false dawns. On to Boro and 3 more points, then I'll start to believe again.

So do we have to make the playoffs for this to be considered a good season?

Does exceeding expectations by a sizable margin and our 1st cup semi final in a major cup for a generation not make a good season unless we get promoted?

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

No.

Does exceeding expectations by a sizable margin and our 1st cup semi final in a major cup for a generation not make a good season unless we get promoted?

Yes. When did I say it didn't?

18 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yes a good season is winning a Trophy. Losers think like you. 

Bloody hell the start of season did you think Bristol city would ever win two Trophies. 

You need to set your expectations higher. I hope you don't run your life like this. 

46 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I don’t think that where we actually finish is actually any significant barometer once the seasons finished 

For me it’s what state generally we finish the season in

Lots  if considerations for me, such  as - 

Quality of ‘First Choice’ eleven - has it improved  (incl value for money spent)

Quality of Squad - has it improved  ( incl value for money spent)

Tactical Plans and capability to implement 

Established way of playing ?

Whether we look like starting next season in a stronger state than we did the previous one

Whether we look like we are actually building / improving

Has it Been ‘enjoyable’

etc

All or certainly most of  these things could be subject of good debate !!!

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I don’t think that where we actually finish is actually any significant barometer once the seasons finished 

Quality of ‘First Choice’ eleven - has it improved  (incl value for money spent)

Whether we look like starting next season in a stronger state than we did the previous one

Has it Been ‘enjoyable’

etc

I understand these criteria, but surely it’s reasonable to judge by objective standards set at the start of the season.

On 1 August I would have been happy to end the season in mid table having never been in danger of relegation. I’ve tried to stay true to that despite the highs of December and the subsequent decline. If we end the season on a collapse it’s difficult to remain objective, but if we end seventh or eighth with some good, some bad in these last few games I’ll be satisfied.

24 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I understand these criteria, but surely it’s reasonable to judge by objective standards set at the start of the season.

On 1 August I would have been happy to end the season in mid table having never been in danger of relegation. I’ve tried to stay true to that despite the highs of December and the subsequent decline. If we end the season on a collapse it’s difficult to remain objective, but if we end seventh or eighth with some good, some bad in these last few games I’ll be satisfied.

I think that’s fair (off the back of a torrid season last year) but in general / normal terms I wouldn’t regard a handful of places between seasons as a significant gauge 

At the moment I guess if I had to base it on one answer it will be

’Am I more certain we will avoid any relegation scares next season , than I was at the start of this’

In that respect, I won’t get carried away by whatever position we finish this season , It’s going to be an obvious and fair improvement on last season , and more than a handful of places ,which is obviously positive

(Though if being demanding could suggest with the money spent and another year to adjust the squad and method of play / coaching it should be )

Im not convinced what position we finish in will be a great guide to next season so easily 

That’s why , for me the sort of considerations , I listed in my original post are actually far more important than this years final league position

Hope  that makes sense !

(In the narrow window as a straightforward fan the bottom line could / should be ‘Has it Been enjoyable’ and despite the torrid 3 months , the exciting football played at times , the so memorable cup games and for some great moments it would be really hard not to simply say Yes !!!!!

- Like many of us I probably get too interested in the future and the medium term outlook where it gets more complicated - think that’s maybe some of us older posters !) 

4 hours ago, roddy-d said:

Yes a good season is winning a Trophy. Losers think like you. 

Bloody hell the start of season did you think Bristol city would ever win two Trophies. 

You need to set your expectations higher. I hope you don't run your life like this. 

I'll address you in the same manner you have me.

You're an arse.

Having a sense of perspective and realistic expectations doesn't make someone unambitious you knob, it means they understand what is likely and have a grasp on reality.

I didn't expect us to win any trophies this season because the chances of it happening were slim (at best) to none. What you appear too thick to realise is that doesn't mean I don't want us to.

I'd like nothing more than for us to suddenly become world beaters, but over 99.9% of the time a team doesn't go from relegation fight to winning their league, let alone a domestic cup as a second tier side. Of course there are rare exceptions like Leicester winning the Premier League a couple of years ago, but the fact that was such a notable win and even as late as February people were waiting for them to cock up is because of how unlikely an event it was.

Oh, and just to reiterate, you're a *****.

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Has it Been ‘enjoyable’

etc

Fair enough, I can understand all those being factors as to whether a season has been good or not.

But I feel one of the factors with the most weight must be the performance and how that compares to the preseason expectations.

If a team exceeds those expectations then it is also highly likely that they have an established style of play and an improved quality side (given the expectations would have been influenced by how what was largely the same side performed the season before).

Of course it doesn't mean everything is perfect and improvements can be made in all areas, which is where the focus should turn as soon as our season is over, whether that's with us reaching the playoffs or not.

6 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Well done to all the players, fans, and management for giving us this unforgettable season.

Tonight, I've cheered and screamed like an absolute wild man and now can barely talk.  Whatever happens now, this season is fantastic and I salute everyone involved.

I have a lot of love for LJ and the players for giving us another win to celebrate and stopping the mini-rot.  Not many people tipped us to beat Birmingham this evening and I am bloody  over the moon!

Roll on Boro, now going to ask the bank manager (the wife) if the funds are there for me to get my ass up there.

Better to drive isn't it ? 

IMG_0231.JPG

6 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yeah, it's been great how this place has been on a perpetual meltdown, and making up false claims to make the season sound a disaster. Absolutely fantastic.

I’ve enjoyed this season James and look forward to the club and manager demonstrating answers to the perpetual problems we face.

When we finally have a great season again like 2014-15 or 97-98 you’ll probably need to break out the Valium!

5 hours ago, Leveller said:

Whilst that view point my seem rational, again the season will leave big questions around Lee Johnson and how he manages a team, especially one he has now had so much influence over.

its one thing to pick up a struggling club and work with it to improve its form overs season, quite another for a manager to create that form and then inexplicably watch it turn into awful firm as Lee regularly does.

I have no problem with Lansdown running the club his way and Lee being manager. But let’s tske the bunting down, be professional and admit something went wrong this season (again) and we need to solve it.

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

I’ve enjoyed this season James and look forward to the club and manager demonstrating answers to the perpetual problems we face.

When we finally have a great season again like 2014-15 or 97-98 you’ll probably need to break out the Valium!

Thing is I'm not going as far as the OP and saying it's fantastic, but this season has definitely (for me) been somewhere between "very good" and "fantastic"

If we make the playoffs then regardless of how that turns out I will see it as a "great" season.

This season has already provided me with some fantastic memories (Home against Man Utd and both games against Man City despite the result, infact the whole of the cup run) as well as disappointing moments like our defensive collapse against Leeds and the nightmare of a second half against Sunderland.

In fact my favourite non cup game this season was Middlesbrough, which while nothing special on the face of it was probably one of our most complete performances.

IMO we have taken huge leaps forward compared to last season, but there are obviously still concerns, I just feel the reactions on here are very often disproportionate to the situation and while this goes both ways (the OP being a regular on the positive end) it is far more common to see a negative overreaction on here than the opposite.

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

IMO we have taken huge leaps forward compared to last season, but there are obviously still concerns, I just feel the reactions on here are very often disproportionate to the situation and while this goes both ways (the OP being a regular on the positive end) it is far more common to see a negative overreaction on here than the opposite.

Are they?

I seem to remember back in December our main concerns according to OTIB are whether we'd accept £25m or £30m for flint, and whether Patterson would play in behind Bobby every game in Russia, or we'd try and let Kane get on the pitch. It works both ways in my opinion.

Personally I find the endless posts talking about the overreaction in every thread while patting yourself on the back for being so reasonable (a favourite of yours and a few others) more annoying than the overreaction itself, derails more threads, stifles legitimate discussing/criticism... and certainly more abundant than the overreactions themselves. :whistle:

9 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Would have been a fantastic season had we not had relegation form since Wolves. This place is hilarious. Doom and gloom and one win and we've won the league! Yes a good win last night and too right! Everyone beats Brum at home. We also gifted some chances to them which they should have taken. But an improvement. We managed three goals which i didn't think we would do again. A fantastic season will be promotion via play offs.  Nothing else. Let's hope it is fantastic. 

51 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Are they?

I seem to remember back in December our main concerns according to OTIB are whether we'd accept £25m or £30m for flint, and whether Patterson would play in behind Bobby every game in Russia, or we'd try and let Kane get on the pitch. It works both ways in my opinion.

Personally I find the endless posts talking about the overreaction in every thread while patting yourself on the back for being so reasonable (a favourite of yours and a few others) more annoying than the overreaction itself, derails more threads, stifles legitimate discussing/criticism... and certainly more abundant than the overreactions themselves. :whistle:

If there weren't people peddling myths, the "relegation form" one being popular until it was dispelled last week, and generally acting like it was the end of the world every time we lost a game this season (and it has been all season- at the start of this season the same people we were only winning because every team we had faced were dire) then the true comments about the overreaction wouldn't take place.

You moaning about me pointing out the overreactions is a case of not liking the symptom but ignoring the cause.

Theres posters claiming we will be relegated to League 1 next season for crying out loud.

As for patting myself on the back and stifling legitimate discussion, I'm not patting myself on the back at all, and have been less inclined to come on here at all (and from some posts I've seen, I'm not the only one) because of how over the top it gets on here whenever we fail to win a game, so the OTT posts are doing exactly the same thing, and once again they are the cause rather than the symptom. No one is saying criticisms cannot be made when they are valid. No one is saying concerns cannot be discussed. And asking for those concerns to at the very least have a basis in reality doesn't stifle any legitimate discussion.

17 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Would have been a fantastic season had we not had relegation form since Wolves. This place is hilarious. Doom and gloom and one win and we've won the league! Yes a good win last night and too right! Everyone beats Brum at home. We also gifted some chances to them which they should have taken. But an improvement. We managed three goals which i didn't think we would do again. A fantastic season will be promotion via play offs.  Nothing else. Let's hope it is fantastic. 

We haven't.

This has already been proven as a fallacy yet you continue to peddle it.

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

We haven't.

This has already been proven as a fallacy yet you continue to peddle it.

I am pretty sure now that every person on here knows tinman85 cannot really be positive, it just isn't in his mindset. If there is even a sniff of positivity from him, it will then have to have a hell of a lot more negativity. Plenty of posts when we have been awful, and I would bet good money that these posts are at a massively higher count than when we have played well/won. I really don't know why I have even bothered responding tbh....

37 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

If there weren't people peddling myths, the "relegation form" one being popular until it was dispelled last week, and generally acting like it was the end of the world every time we lost a game this season (and it has been all season- at the start of this season the same people we were only winning because every team we had faced were dire) then the true comments about the overreaction wouldn't take place.

You moaning about me pointing out the overreactions is a case of not liking the symptom but ignoring the cause.

Theres posters claiming we will be relegated to League 1 next season for crying out loud.

As for patting myself on the back and stifling legitimate discussion, I'm not patting myself on the back at all, and have been less inclined to come on here at all (and from some posts I've seen, I'm not the only one) because of how over the top it gets on here whenever we fail to win a game, so the OTT posts are doing exactly the same thing, and once again they are the cause rather than the symptom. No one is saying criticisms cannot be made when they are valid. No one is saying concerns cannot be discussed. And asking for those concerns to at the very least have a basis in reality doesn't stifle any legitimate discussion.

And here's a nice positive thread but your first post before anything else is talking about the moaners in other threads and complaing about OTIB being in meltdown.

I legitimately see far more posts complaining about "meltdown" and the like than the actual posts they apparently reference.

I'm not saying those posts aren't annoying and there aren't overreactions of couse. We've been on a poor run for three or four months though and the knives have only really significantly been out for the last few weeks. It hasn't been that bad. The circlejerk on both sides is equally annoying.

One win and the threads like this are out after all ;)

53 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Boring 

By and large, it's been good IMO.

We've had some shocking games in 2018 though- and our 6 points from 5 games, slowish start in August, if we end up missing the playoffs by a point or 2 we may look back on that with a little regret.

However, this is the best season- if we measure purely by PPG- at this level since 07/08. So it can't be too bad.

Medium term though, certainly deserves observation and analysis of direction of travel, but purely this season can't complain too much I feel.

:dancing6::clap:alert. It’s one game, and if Birmingham had been more clinical it could have been all doom and gloom on here again today. A win is a bird and we stay in the mix. Still concerned about the amount of chances that we are giving the opposition no matter how good they are. Birmingham have had a couple of good results lately but they aren’t down at the bottom end of the table for nothing. Let’s not forget we have beaten Sheffield Wednesday who are simply not very good at the moment and Ipswich whose manager walked out last night.

Perspective required. Now beat Middlesbrough on Saturday and I might get a bit more :dancing6::clap:myself.

27 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

:dancing6::clap:alert. It’s one game, and if Birmingham had been more clinical it could have been all doom and gloom on here again today. A win is a bird and we stay in the mix. Still concerned about the amount of chances that we are giving the opposition no matter how good they are. Birmingham have had a couple of good results lately but they aren’t down at the bottom end of the table for nothing. Let’s not forget we have beaten Sheffield Wednesday who are simply not very good at the moment and Ipswich whose manager walked out last night.

Perspective required. Now beat Middlesbrough on Saturday and I might get a bit more :dancing6::clap:myself.

You miss the point, I'm talking about the entire season ... not just beating Birmingham!  Of course, such a thread like this is easier to pen and likely to be better received after a 3-1 win against a team we haven't beaten for 25 years.

Make no mistake, the season has been a classic, with a fair few bad games thrown into the mix.  I think we've all supported City long enough to know we don't often do well in the Championship - so patches of bad form go with the territory.

CM, I'd hope we don't have to beat Boro for you to be a bit more impressed / pleased with the season.

Archived