IGNORED

Player Ratings v Birmingham

Davefevs

9 hours ago, Tiree said:

Bryan was fantastic again and shows why is probably to the complete footballer at the club, lightening fast, great heading, tackling, versatile, and the only defender who can play both sides! Also  confident to beat players all over the pitch. Outstanding tonight. 

You have to be consistent to be a complete footballer

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

By his high standards I still don't think Bryan had the great game others have said, but there are reasons for that.

I do agree with the consensus that the pick of the defence was Lloyd Kelly and last night's weakest link was Baker.

Marks out of 10 are a very subjective thing, but what I find strangest in some people's scoring is giving Famara a higher score than Bobby.  It was great to see Bobby back to his busy best.

And what do you want from your full backs? Defending bystanders?

Bryan played in their half and attempted to make key passes. He added complexity and width (more). He created overloads. A full back playing a fuller (not all) length of the pitch. 

Kelly not forgetting his youth kept it simple.

A point there is defending (Baker) has to be the technical. Defending is being able to pass a ball. Bryan attempting to be positive did not lose possession that much at all. 

As well as Lloyd played and his obvious class and potential I thought to be fair Joe was probably the best of the back four last night , as in respect of impacting the game

Recall a couple of ‘wow’ occasions (First half) when he took the ball out the air with chest and knocked off a great first time pass under pressure

He also provided great first half crosses for Bobbys Goal and for a great Milan Chance early on 

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Fielding 7 - two crucial saves tonight, one at 1-0 with his feet and one a deflected effort that dipped and bounced in front of him.

Bryan 8 - thought he did well against a player I always think is a tricky customer Maghoma.  Used his left foot cleverly in both defence and attack.  Looks much more like the Joe most of us like watching.  Some good thrusting runs and decent understanding with Brownhill.

Kelly 8 - pretty much what you’ve all said in other threads. A 19 year old who plays like a 29 year old.  #talent #future

Flint 7 - got a bit exposed early on down the side of him, but improved as the game wore on.  Was a spell in second half where he got 2 or 3 blocks in quick succession.  One of the players who I think hasn’t had his performances affected in the bad run.

Baker 6 - had a tough game against Jutkiewicz tonight.  He got backed into too easily, but better in second half when Pack screened in front.  Didn’t think he played the right type of ball into Djúric either....more on this later

Brownhill 7 - very bright early on, faded and then bright later on.  Worked hard with Bryan to stop Maghoma.

Reid 7 - struggled a bit at times on the left side, not quite timing his pressing and allowing his opponent to get that half a yard.  On the ball he did well, and when Djúric went off we started to see him tick, without ever looking like he would add to his tally.  Took his goal very well...and also got in good positions, e.g. fouled centrally for Pack’s freekick.

Smith 7 - typical Korey performance against a physical Brum midfield.  Got caught forward early game as Boga cheated his defensive duties.  Once that was solved we looked better, as did Korey.

Pack 9 - fantastic performance capped by a super freekick.  Good ranges of passing, got forward too giving us an extra option to pass to.  The screen in front of Baker was crucial to stopping Brum having no more than a 5-10 minute spell in second half.

Diedhiou 8 - almost my motm but Pack more deserving imho.  Top back to goal performance.  Ball stuck to him today, won some towering headers too, great headed layoff for Reid.  Great controlled aggression too, gave Dean a torrid night.

Djuric 5 - feel a bit for him tonight.  I don’t think we hit the right balls into him tonight against Morrison, who likes this type of challenge.  Too many chipped balls allowing Morrison to challenge knowing that the ball was never gonna expose him in behind.  Baker the biggest culprit, but Flint a few straight balls.  Might’ve helped if Djúric could’ve swapped and played against Dean.  Looked a bit heavy legged tonight, battled hard, just not his night.

Subs:

O’Dowda 6 - good to see him back

Taylor 7 - LJ called him a pest....spot on.  We’ve missed this type of contribution

O’Neil - not enough minutes

Thought Brum played their part and Jutkiewicz a real nuisance.  Nice to see a Brum keeper who doesn’t suck the life out of the game.

Referee - weak.

Pretty fair overall, but I'd say.
FF .... Yes he did make saves , but nothing I wouldn't expect any keeper to make (Not doubting his shot stopping though, that is excellent). His distribution is shocking, he never leaves his line (at least once Flint had a free header in the 6 yard box that he should have claimed), he even started to back off from a ball running into the 6 yard box. Personally I would like to see a quality keeper come in, but difficult.
JB . Best game for some time, great delivery
Kelly. You nailed it.
Flint . Agree, but has looked increasingly frustrated lately, not seen this before even when we struggled before.
Baker. Agree with you. I thought we could have switched CBs so Jutkiewicz would be cutting onto Flints strong foot, he was so left footed.
Mostly agree with the MF, but I do think Brownhill is a little wasted wide. Needs to be involved more, I think he's quality.
FD. Good game, as said elsewhere can look weak in the challenge but his movement and involvement were good.
Djuric. I like him, but he is the least mobile forward I've seen and yesterday didn't win his battles which is a first. I didn't think it worked as a pairing, I would have had Taylor on at HT.
From MotM I think Reid sneaked it. Won the free kick for Pack's goal, scored and an assist, plus he never stops running.
If they had a bit more quality, calmness in front of goal it would have been 2-2 HT. They have picked up lately so no mugs and a decent win against someone we never beat.
As for the Ref....... Poor.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As well as Lloyd played and his obvious class and potential I thought to be fair Joe was probably the best of the back four last night , as in respect of impacting the game

Recall a couple of ‘wow’ occasions (First half) when he took the ball out the air with chest and knocked off a great first time pass under pressure

He also provided great first half crosses for Bobbys Goal and for a great Milan Chance early on 

and thats the thing isn't it? Other players would have thumped it clear or headed it. Joe wants to play and can. Bryan attempts to make an impact with the ball. if all four play safe clear lines what are City??

4 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

Not to mention the two times second half where he somehow beat his man...I only say somehow because his footwork was so quick that I want sure if he'd nutmegged him, Cruyff turned on him out what but two wonderful displays of trickery to get free near the half way line.

6 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Pretty fair overall, but I'd say.
FF ..... His distribution is shocking, he never leaves his line......

With the exception of the six yard box heart attack last night I think you've been quite harsh on Frankie there. I'm a massive critic of his, but last night his distribution was so much better. It took him 70 mins to shank a ball out, which admittedly sounds like a very backhanded compliment, but when you consider it usually takes him the same amount of time to keep one IN play, he deserves credit for this improvement! He also commanded his area far better than normal yesterday. Uncharacteristically racing off his line in the first half to clear when they were attacking. He has his faults, and I'm sure we can get a better all rounder, but yesterday was a far better all round performance from him, with some top drawer saves.

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Agree, passion is such a cliche but maybe due to being on the end of some sly off the ball stuff Fammy was well up for it last night.

Loved it when he got the crowd going.

One of his better games for me.

Couldn't agree more, wish they'd do it more. We, the crowd, are desperate to get behind the team and do our bit, and when a player gestures for that support the reaction is always instant aggressive passionate cheering!

Use the crowd, lads!

Archived