IGNORED

Stripping it all down...I enjoyed tonight

Mr Popodopolous

Tonight was fun I thought..Good goals, crowd got into it. The formation was positive- which helped with these 2 things I thought.

I am a big advocate of complex formations, tailoring approaches to opposition, stats, football analytics etc etc.

End of the day though, for all that it felt good night I thought. Came away tonight feeling more positive than for a while tbh. 

Not saying it'll work- or even be appropriate every week, but it was good IMO. Width provides excitement, gets crowd going. 2 can feed off each other.

The energy in the team was back that we have sadly missed in recent weeks,  it was an entertaining end to end game which we could just as easily have lost ior drawn but fair play to the lads for getting the win, I would much prefer to see an entertaining game like that and see us lose than watch the Ipswich, Brentford and Millwall debacles, hopefully we can push on from this game now. 

The game was too open throughout and I thought that if Brum had a better set of strikers, we would probably have lost. A good entertaining game after the recent dross. The togetherness if our team was much better than of late. Playing Joe at right back was a very good move. On song, he is an excellent footballer so a brownie point to LJ for that selection. 

On the other hand, using Bobby as a left midfielder does not use his talents to full effect. I would have preferred Eliasson there with Reid up front with Fammy. I don't two big strikers together. Little and Large is more effective. 

Overall a very good evening for all, considering how poor we've been for weeks. 

Tippy happy along the back line for two minutes then for Baker to hit a hopefully long ball to a 6'6" centre forward, almost every time we had the ball! Regressive awful football, that happened to work against a very wasteful Birmingham. Try it against a team with an inform striker and we will be easily beaten. Understand the tactics used as a one off, but I didnt  enjoy the experience, especially  when I know the sort of football we can play.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

The game was too open throughout and I thought that if Brum had a better set of strikers, we would probably have lost. A good entertaining game after the recent dross. The togetherness if our team was much better than of late. Playing Joe at right back was a very good move. On song, he is an excellent footballer so a brownie point to LJ for that selection. 

On the other hand, using Bobby as a left midfielder does not use his talents to full effect. I would have preferred Eliasson there with Reid up front with Fammy. I don't two big strikers together. Little and Large is more effective. 

Tbf Reid scored 1 and got 2 assists, so it made quite good use of him?

I talked last week with @Nogbad the Bad about hairdryer/arm around the shoulder management - you had the sense tonight, seeing LJ angry after the Millwall game, that maybe there had been some hairdryer treatment.

Not a perfect performance by any means, but certainly the response from the players we wanted after the Brentford/Millwall games. Generally more purposeful today, with points to prove.

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tonight was fun I thought..Good goals, crowd got into it. The formation was positive- which helped with these 2 things I thought.

I am a big advocate of complex formations, tailoring approaches to opposition, stats, football analytics etc etc.

End of the day though, for all that it felt good night I thought. Came away tonight feeling more positive than for a while tbh. 

Not saying it'll work- or even be appropriate every week, but it was good IMO. Width provides excitement, gets crowd going. 2 can feed off each other.

Well said - thoroughly enjoyed last night. First time in a while at the Gate, but great game, we played well, atmosphere was good, S82 got everyone going, really enjoyable.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Diedhou was the ' little ' .

1 hour ago, Ashtonboy said:

Tippy happy along the back line for two minutes then for Baker to hit a hopefully long ball to a 6'6" centre forward, almost every time we had the ball! Regressive awful football, that happened to work against a very wasteful Birmingham. Try it against a team with an inform striker and we will be easily beaten. Understand the tactics used as a one off, but I didnt  enjoy the experience, especially  when I know the sort of football we can play.

True, but we've spent the last 3 or 4 games trying to play our good football and getting nowhere with it. When form is poor and confidence is low you go back to basics, keep it simple, and try to get a win anyway you can. Then you can try to bring back the more sophisticated stuff.

If Boro are anything like a typical Pulis side we'll struggle to out-muscle them. It'll be the clever stuff working well or it'll be a defeat.

4 hours ago, Ashtonboy said:

Can’t disagree with the majority if not all of your post

But listening to LJ post match I think and certainly hope it was a ‘needs must’ / rarely used approach as we are bereft of confidence and not in a good place to play our best style (And some injuries etc)

Agree that we will (more than) often be found wanting if we continued to try and play like that , but I’m confident we won’t 

6 hours ago, Ashtonboy said:

You're right, it became too predictable and therefore made it easy for them to defend against.

Archived