IGNORED

Millwall 1977

Mike Hunt-Hertz

4 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Really glad I never attended football matches back then 

What, you're glad you weren't watching football in 1977, when City were in the top league?

Being at Ashton Gate then was fantastic - really an incredible atmosphere - and easy enough to avoid trouble if you wanted to.

12 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

Just viewed the Millwall documentary from 1977. It is true....the past is a different country!

Funny watching Harry the Dog & co in the Tote.

Yep it was. Did you read It all Kicked Off in Bristol. I enjoyed it but most of it was post 70's and one or two big games were missed due to Her Majesty and Her Pleasure by all accounts. The EE could be a bit of a battle ground and it occasionally got a bit lively away.

But as NBTB says above you could usually avoid it and we were in the Top Flight.

Mad Dog Harry's One Man Assault on the Tote is legendary....What a complete Knob among all those utter *****!

I feel a warning point coming on.

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yep it was. Did you read It all Kicked Off in Bristol. I enjoyed it but most of it was post 70's and one or two big games were missed due to Her Majesty and Her Pleasure by all accounts. The EE could be a bit of a battle ground and it occasionally got a bit lively away.

But as NBTB says above you could usually avoid it and we were in the Top Flight.

Mad Dog Harry's One Man Assault on the Tote is legendary....What a complete Knob among all those utter *****!

I feel a warning point coming on.

Only started watching the City in '81, but witnessed plenty of shenanigans over the years. Bloody disgraceful with hindsight, but shamefully hilarious when you are 20.

Got into scrapes in the most unlikely if places...Chester, Chesterfield and Cambridge....bloody alcohol.

1 minute ago, Juan Kerr said:

Only started watching the City in '81, but witnessed plenty of shenanigans over the years. Bloody disgraceful with hindsight, but shamefully hilarious when you are 20.

Got into scrapes in the most unlikely if places...Chester, Chesterfield and Cambridge....bloody alcohol.

Yes I remember walking away from grounds all over in the early 80's and my old man would say 'at least we won the punch up!'

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

What, you're glad you weren't watching football in 1977, when City were in the top league?

Being at Ashton Gate then was fantastic - really an incredible atmosphere - and easy enough to avoid trouble if you wanted to.

Exactly, there seem to be plenty of people that would have you believe being a football fan back then meant that being an idiot was compulsory.

Whilst they were more prevalent then than now, it really was still a  minority activity and most football fans were normal people with no interest in belting ten tons of crap out of someone just for supporting a different team to them.

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

Exactly, there seem to be plenty of people that would have you believe being a football fan back then meant that being an idiot was compulsory.

Whilst they were more prevalent then than now, it really was still a  minority activity and most football fans were normal people with no interest in belting ten tons of crap out of someone just for supporting a different team to them.

I was wondering how long it would take...........

12 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Is that the documentary where one of them described Bristolians as ‘Northern Ponces’?

Had a similar experience in the 90s, having to sit in the home stand at the New Den as away end was all ticket. City go 2 up and bloke behind me gets up and shouts at the away end 'why don't you all **** off back up north'!

I turned round to him and said 'my good man, I believe that by the Greenwich Meridian Line Bristol is due west of here'. *

* in a parallel universe.

22 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Had a similar experience in the 90s, having to sit in the home stand at the New Den as away end was all ticket. City go 2 up and bloke behind me gets up and shouts at the away end 'why don't you all **** off back up north'!

I turned round to him and said 'my good man, I believe that by the Greenwich Meridian Line Bristol is due west of here'. *

Faaaaack you, caaaaaant!

35 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

was this the pitch invasion match? lively to say the least!

12 hours ago, poland_exile said:

seem to remember reading not long back that Harry The Dog died a lonely alcoholic in a bedsit - the mighty fell. 

Great documentary. Am so glad I made it up to the Old Den in its last season (a 3-2 win with a Ray Atteveld own goal screamer from 20 yards!) 

I met a few old school millwall at aa meetings over the country.

Apparently harry the dog used to go to meetings and his first share he produced a knife from his pocket placed it on a table and talked for 20 mins. Nobody interrupted! 

1 hour ago, Juan Kerr said:

Cambridge weren’t to be underestimated back then...they taught Chelsea a lesson once which landed a few of the Cambridge boys in jail.... http://bufvc.ac.uk/tvandradio/lbc/index.php/segment/0007000114002

9 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

The band at 07:55 is Urchin featuring Adrian Smith, later to find fame in Iron Maiden. All bar Dickinson and Gers famously Irons fans! I doubt they would have gone down so well at the time had this fact been revealed...

My dad was the lead singer in the Bristol band Urchin during the 70's. Those cockney types look like imposters.

I think, even nowadays, going to the old Den as an away fan, is a badge of honour. It was utterly nuts!

The New-er Den, although partisan, isn't a patch on the original!

I'm glad to say I've been to both and survived them.

Cold Blow lane was plain terrifying to be honest! 

11 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I think, even nowadays, going to the old Den as an away fan, is a badge of honour. It was utterly nuts!

The New-er Den, although partisan, isn't a patch on the original!

I'm glad to say I've been to both and survived them.

Cold Blow lane was plain terrifying to be honest! 

They arranged it so that opposition club officials had to walk three-quarters of the way around the ground to reach their seats.... by which time they'd be covered with cockerknee spit. 

Lovely people.  Not.

5 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

The day we celebrated promotion back out of the 4th Division was my first pitch invasion, at Chester. I saw only good cheer at that match because although we beat Chester they were promoted too, along with York City and Doncaster Rovers.

I do recall Cambridge away was rather disturbing; proper thugs from the universiry city had me very puzzled back then.

I never went to as many away grounds as I did that promotion season. And our away support, considering how far and fast we had fallen, was sensational. Everywhere we went seemingly opposition fans were experiencing their big match of the season. City were the huge club in town.

'Terry Cooper's red and white army' still reverberates in my ears. Probably will for ever more. He gave us our pride back and while sometimes, many times in fact, we were absolutely dire especially in the season before, i always felt the players gave it their all... This is why i kept watching them. I don't think players comprehend any of that emotion today save for periodically.

Archived