IGNORED

Why has one game shut everyone up?

Robin1988

44 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

no-one i know (and i only talk football to CIty fans) has ever thought LJ should leave BCFC in the past 12 months (unless he gets offered an irrestistable job in the EPL or Europe

Muppets on here are entitled to any opinion but no-one can believe this has been anything but a good or great season and we have one of the best managers int he league. End of.

If you disagree please explain to me at Boro

It's been a good season and I think also a great big missed opportunity. I'll be the one with the green face and orange fluffy hair, I'll be easy to spot.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Updated table now that Derby’s accounts in, and notes showing that Boro (overdue), Sunderland (not due) who’ve yet to post their accounts are due c£55m in parachute in their 17/18 accounts!  This supports my resident accountant guru @LondonBristolian‘s post.

BE1D80DD-3721-4995-A1F7-136C6E3E5BB8.jpeg

Only 6 clubs will a staff budget lower than ours? If so, we are overachieving and should expect a relegation battle every season 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

In theory, yes.

However, if we are clever about it, not necessarily.

Clever in what way? If you want established upper championship, lower premier league players it is all about wages. What we are doing at the moment is wheeling and dealing with lower league and young players with potential because of the wage budget, yet people still moan about the recruitment as if it’s football manager.

Yes there will be the odd anomaly of a club  getting promoted on a shoestring but to be up there consistently requires paying high wages. The club have basically said in January that they won’t be doing that to chase promotion, so people have to get their heads around that. I don’t think LJ can be blamed for that either, yet he is the one who gets the blame. I don’t think he is the saviour but he’s not the naughty boy people make out

9 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Clever in what way? If you want established upper championship, lower premier league players it is all about wages. What we are doing at the moment is wheeling and dealing with lower league and young players with potential because of the wage budget, yet people still moan about the recruitment as if it’s football manager.

Yes there will be the odd anomaly of a club  getting promoted on a shoestring but to be up there consistently requires paying high wages. The club have basically said in January that they won’t be doing that to chase promotion, so people have to get their heads around that. I don’t think LJ can be blamed for that either, yet he is the one who gets the blame. I don’t think he is the saviour but he’s not the naughty boy people make out

That's the point though, we are being clever. It won't pay off every year, but Fulham and Wolves have a bit of a mixed approach- not taking the Villa, Boro and Derby approach of signing 'established upper Championship, lower Premier League players'.

Ok, the Wolves situation is controversial to say the least. but Fulham are a bit more conventional. However- Preston, Millwall and Sheffield United- to say nothing of Brentford's excellent record in the transfer market,  are much fairer comparisons. They seem to be competitive this year, and in the case of Brentford, most years!

Look at where Fulham recruited from last 2 years for example- a real mixed approach.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's the point though, we are being clever. It won't pay off every year, but Fulham and Wolves have a bit of a mixed approach- not taking the Villa, Boro and Derby approach of signing 'established upper Championship, lower Premier League players'.

Ok, the Wolves situation is controversial to say the least. but Fulham are a bit more conventional. However- Preston, Millwall and Sheffield United- to say nothing of Brentford's excellent record in the transfer market,  are much fairer comparisons. They seem to be competitive this year, and in the case of Brentford, most years!

I think we’re agreeing! I think the transfer policy is a good one for where the club is at the moment, but we have to accept are players are unlikely to be world beaters and will be inconsistent, especially young players. It seems a lot of fans don’t understand this and get angry when we don’t sign top players and/or the performances are patchy. We have to expect this every season and do the best with what we have. If we get promoted somehow then fantastic but the probability of that happening is low 

7 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

I think we’re agreeing! I think the transfer policy is a good one for where the club is at the moment, but we have to accept are players are unlikely to be world beaters and will be inconsistent, especially young players. It seems a lot of fans don’t understand this and get angry when we don’t sign top players and/or the performances are patchy. We have to expect this every season and do the best with what we have. If we get promoted somehow then fantastic but the probability of that happening is low 

I agree to a point, and certainly we need patience.

However, I do believe in this relatively young squad- provided we continue to be clever and indeed up our game in this area, any edge is a competitive edge etc all that stuff.  We must also keep it together as much as possible and let it grow together, chemistry etc. Not so much the fringe players though, judge them on a case by case basis.

57 minutes ago, phantom said:

@Robin1988 It was lucky that Birmingham missed so many easy chances

What's that got to do with the selection? We've shipped chances for a while. Bryan went to right back and played well, Kelly started at left-back and played well, our second goal came from the use of our target men...

• Admin
4 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

What's that got to do with the selection? We've shipped chances for a while. Bryan went to right back and played well, Kelly started at left-back and played well, our second goal came from the use of our target men...

I never mentioned the selection - assume you are getting cross wires on this thread?

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Look at where Fulham recruited from last 2 years for example- a real mixed approach.

I like the fact that you’ve listed the four clubs (five if you include us) that are punching above their weight. IMHO  

The challenge is to get it spot on and go up, or get lucky and go up. 

Huddersfield spent twice as much as us last season, but got their rewards. Look at Reading and Wednesday who didn’t make it.  

Brighton broke the rules to go up, but will easily pay any fine when they come back down because of parachute payments. Bournemouth too. Immoral imho. 

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I like the fact that you’ve listed the four clubs (five if you include us) that are punching above their weight. IMHO  

Huddersfield spent twice as much as us last season, but got their rewards. Look at Reading and Wednesday who didn’t make it.  

Brighton broke the rules to go up, but will easily pay any fine when they come back down because of parachute payments. Bournemouth too. Immoral imho. 

From the revenue table Derby are twice as big a club as us...let's let that sink in shall we...twice as big...

Playing it the way we are (sensibly and within FFP) it will be a serious strike of good fortune as you say.

We're a VERY SMALL club in this division. Many people on here don't get that reality.

On 11/04/2018 at 15:00, phantom said:

Spot on @EmissionImpossible Numerous posters keep writing nonsense about people wanting LJ out but there haven't been lots (if any) writing that on here anyway

On the thread that @Robin1988 highlighted - entitled something like, should he stay or go, there are numerous people saying that they think he should go.

It's there in black and white.

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No magic formula to get up in most cases, tbh. (I bet Newcastle lost a decent whack, but then again...50k gates, £30m transfer profit (expenditure-sales), surely slashed the wage bill- time will tell).

Agree, the challenge to get it perfect or to get lucky.

Huddersfield is an interesting case study though. Because while they spent a certain amount and lost a decent amount last year, fairly sure their FFP losses over the 3 years were within acceptable limits- perhaps by as much as £10m! However, the 2nd thing that's interesting about them is they didn't follow the route in terms of personnel as advocated by many on here- which is to sign Championship players, 'experienced' 'proven' 'pedigree' like what Aston Villa, Derby and Middlesbrough have done.

I think in terms of fines and parachute payments and that- though it won't affect the aforementioned cases, points deductions and even kicking down out of automatic promotion or out of the playoffs are sanctions on the table from Football League, for the future...

PS, would Brighton be able to? QPR seem to have real trouble with the idea of a fine of that size, or are Brighton a different case, better financially etc?

7 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

From the revenue table Derby are twice as big a club as us...let's let that sink in shall we...twice as big...

Playing it the way we are (sensibly and within FFP) it will be a serious strike of good fortune as you say.

We're a VERY SMALL club in this division. Many people on here don't get that reality.

Are Derby, let alone Villa, making the most of their resources though?

Isn t it just lazy to throw money at it, at 'proven' Championship players- like they have?

On 11/04/2018 at 11:57, Robin1988 said:

I might have missed it, but the LJ out calls seems to have subsided after last night. We've played 42 games, and getting three points in one of them is enough to change people's minds?

May be because we got three points in 17 of them , and got to the semi final of the league cup beatingfour PL teams on the way, including Manchester United, and we are Bristol City fans.?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

No magic formula to get up in most cases, tbh. (I bet Newcastle lost a decent whack, but then again...50k gates, £30m transfer profit (expenditure-sales), surely slashed the wage bill- time will tell).

Agree, the challenge to get it perfect or to get lucky.

Huddersfield is an interesting case study though. Because while they spent a certain amount and lost a decent amount last year, fairly sure their FFP losses over the 3 years were within acceptable limits- perhaps by as much as £10m! However, the 2nd thing that's interesting about them is they didn't follow the route in terms of personnel as advocated by many on here- which is to sign Championship players, 'experienced' 'proven' 'pedigree' like what Aston Villa, Derby and Middlesbrough have done.

I think in terms of fines and parachute payments and that- though it won't affect the aforementioned cases, points deductions and even kicking down out of automatic promotion or out of the playoffs are sanctions on the table from Football League, for the future...

PS, would Brighton be able to? QPR seem to have real trouble with the idea of a fine of that size, or are Brighton a different case, better financially etc?

Re Newcastle, we all know Mike Ashley is an astute businessman, like him or loathe him.  Actually they were very sensible in relegation from the Prem.  Knowing that the tv deals would cause inflated prices they took an approach that meant they could sell certain players for vast profits.  They made almost £50m net in transfer profit (reduce it for the undisclosed players), so together with parachute money would’ve done very nicely last season.  Wijnaldum and Sissoko contributing £55m gross.

83E5E7F7-1F6B-48A0-B16B-F845AA3C81C9.thumb.jpeg.acccba9ac592233f0cc6d7c273acbb29.jpeg

Re Huddersfield 

Lost £1.4m in 15/16 accounts

Lost £7.0m in 14/15 accounts

so within FFP.

Re Brighton v QPR....the parachute payments Brighton might get far exceed what QPR got....so probably better able to cope. 

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:57, Robin1988 said:

I might have missed it, but the LJ out calls seems to have subsided after last night. We've played 42 games, and getting three points in one of them is enough to change people's minds?

Have you considered that people haven't got the time afforded to others, which allows them to post during the working day.

Or, at the end of an evening after returning from a game.

Or that they're relieved that the team has won a game and it's not the first thing on their mind.

Some people can't wait to post a gloating type of message saying, I told you all I was correct, and, the team really are playing well and, the manager is the best thing since sliced bread, na na na na na.

Some people are less childish than that.

I'm glad we won, I'm pleased for LJ, for the players but mostly, for the fans.

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

A fair number of us on OTIB, are not satisfied with Lee Johnson and his boom and bust results. 

We've made our points over the last few weeks, nothing is going to change at least until end of season so nothing more to say on the subject at present. OK with the OP? 

This x 2 ; but I think you are being hopefull re this season; more likely x2 on that as well....ah well "we go again" as he says.

2 hours ago, freezer said:

On the thread that @Robin1988 highlighted - entitled something like, should he stay or go, there are numerous people saying that they think he should go.

It's there in black and white.

Call me old fashioned

But if you thread asking Should he stay , or should he go you are inviting one of two answers (opinions) 

Is it really a great surprise that some  may say ‘Go’

To then rant that some have said ‘Go’ is ‘strange’t

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Call me old fashioned

But if you thread asking Should he stay , or should he go you are inviting one of two answers (opinions) 

Is it really a great surprise that some  may say ‘Go’

To then rant that some have said ‘Go’ is ‘strange’t

On 11/04/2018 at 15:00, phantom said:

Spot on @EmissionImpossible Numerous posters keep writing nonsense about people wanting LJ out but there haven't been lots (if any) writing that on here anyway

Hope it makes more sense now babber.

15 minutes ago, freezer said:

It's a proven fact that most people are more readily inclined to complain rather than commend.

I personally held back with my reservations and opinions on the subject. I think most people want to give the management team long enough to impose their beliefs and work ethics onto the field of play. Sadly, I could not wait longer and the subject was brought to the open forum, if it had not, I'd have suffered in silence for a bit longer, as others no doubt are still doing.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Have you considered that people haven't got the time afforded to others, which allows them to post during the working day.

Or, at the end of an evening after returning from a game.

Or that they're relieved that the team has won a game and it's not the first thing on their mind.

Some people can't wait to post a gloating type of message saying, I told you all I was correct, and, the team really are playing well and, the manager is the best thing since sliced bread, na na na na na.

Some people are less childish than that.

I'm glad we won, I'm pleased for LJ, for the players but mostly, for the fans.

There were plenty of posters on here after the game, Rich, don't worry, but we did miss you reminding us that LJ had never impressed you.

I assume and hope you and the others were merely busy, and hadn't changed your mind on the basis of 1/42 of a season.

Archived