IGNORED

Is Bobby's future already sorted ?

Major Isewater

I think there are 2 scenarios: First (and most likely) is that unless we go up BR will go in the summer, and has possibly / probably told the club he won't sign an extension if we don't.The second one is that the club refuses to sell and we keep him but he runs down his contract. This seems unlikely as unlike the Flint situation earlier this season, he isn't tied down to a longer deal.

His contract expires this summer, but City have the option to extend it by a year.  The terms of that one year extension are very unlikely to be favourable to Bobby, having been set 2 years ago, when he wasnt in the greatest bargaining position.

I’ve heard that he’s in talks re a new 3 year deal.  Perhaps the stalling is whether he should wait until our fate is known.  In the slimmish hope that we go up, you’d probably want to hang fire signing it. 

I know loyalty in football doesn’t really exist, but after the first and only good season in his career you’d hope that he wouldn’t immediately be planning on jumping ship.

I could accept that if we’d had another torrid relegation scrap but it’d hurt a little after the season we’ve had. 

He seems to have his head screwed on though. Another season of 20 goals would stand him in line for a much better move than he could get this summer. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I know loyalty in football doesn’t really exist, but after the first and only good season in his career you’d hope that he wouldn’t immediately be planning on jumping ship.

I could accept that if we’d had another torrid relegation scrap but it’d hurt a little after the season we’ve had. 

He seems to have his head screwed on though. Another season of 20 goals would stand him in line for a much better move than he could get this summer. 

On the other hand Prem teams are sniffing around, and with only a year on his contract we will accept a lower bid.

That could mean a bigger signing on fee, obvious wage increase, and also the chance to play in the Prem.

Would you rather take that this summer, or wait until next summer when you may of had a poor season and only be wanted by Championship teams for example. 

I know what I would do.

1 minute ago, Selred said:

On the other hand Prem teams are sniffing around, and with only a year on his contract we will accept a lower bid.

That could mean a bigger signing on fee, obvious wage increase, and also the chance to play in the Prem.

Would you rather take that this summer, or wait until next summer when you may of had a poor season and only be wanted by Championship teams for example. 

I know what I would do.

Yeah I get that and I couldn’t really hold it against him if he did move on, but I think he’d also be well aware that scoring every week here whilst pushing to become a premier league club could be more rewarding than sitting on the bench at Palace or Swansea...

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

I know what I would do.

Personally it would change a lot if I was a local lad playing for the team I support.

Each to their own.

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

I know what I would do.

Exactly, back yourself to notch another twenty and sign for a top club .

:yes:

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

I know what I would do.

I still think the club hold the aces.  If he doesn’t sign the rumoured 3 year deal, we take the option, and try our hardest to tie him down at some point next season.  I still think we can hold out for the ‘going rate’ for Bobby.  If his firm cools next season, then so will interest.  However if someone wants to offer £15m in the summer then it will be tough to turn down.  We certainly don’t have to cave-in just because we haven’t tied him down.

13 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

99% of this forum wanted to get rid of him years ago, so I don't know why we would expect loyalty now the going is good.

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

99% of this forum wanted to get rid of him years ago, so I don't know why we would expect loyalty now the going is good.

I was suggesting there may be some loyalty to the club, his employer, rather than the club, OTIB ;) 

Bobby strikes me as a grounded lad and not the type who would be off at the first whiff of a better deal. If his agent is any good he’ll be using his season’s form to make him one of if not the best paid player here. If he knows he could get a deal here that would be say 75% of what a lower prem team might pay, whilst still getting to play for his boyhood club, that could mean a lot to him. 

Think LJ said in an interview the option was picked up on Bobby a week or so ago. That protects us a bit in the summer but the fact a contract hasn’t been signed, I’d expect it is Bobby holding out. If that is the case we will have to sell this summer. For me, it feels like it is headed that way. Not sure we’d get full price either. Vydra was 8m a few years ago and not sure you’d get more than that for a similar player in Bobby with a year left. 

32 minutes ago, Super said:

His contract runs out at the end of next season doesn't it? How could he make a commitment to another club?

Pardon me Super but your post is a little naive ,in the less than clean cut and thrust  of professional football do you really believe that nothing is happening with BR's agent with regard to his client's future ?

Is it so hard to believe that his agent may have spoken to another interested party and agreed a deal in principle and that City know this ? 

Do City want to sell ?

Damn right if they can get a great  deal .

( " don't get attached to players " ) 

Would the club accept an asset walking away for nothing when they could easily get 4 or 5 million for that player ( who knows probably more ? ) ? 

It's not an attack on you Super just an observation.

12 minutes ago, Super said:

I'm the 1%!

Me too.

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Pardon me Super but your post is a little naive ,in the less than clean cut and thrust  of professional football do you really believe that nothing is happening with BR's agent with regard to his client's future ?

Is it so hard to believe that his agent may have spoken to another interested party and agreed a deal in principle and that City know this ? 

Do City want to sell ?

Damn right if they can get a great  deal .

( " don't get attached to players " ) 

Would the club accept an asset walking away for nothing when they could easily get 4 or 5 million for that player ( who knows probably more ? ) ? 

It's not an attack on you Super just an observation.

He can’t walk away for nothing, we have a year option on him.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But that’s summer 2019, not this summer.

As a business there is no way we are going to gamble on him leaving for nothing surely?

Bristol Sport have shown how they are chasing every penny in many ways already recently - 100% they will be cashing in on him

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Has Bobby already made a commitment to another club ?

I only ask because the LJ post match interview when he was asked if Bobby can score more next year there was an awkward physical  reaction which seemed to me to indicate that he wouldn't be here next year and LJ knows it . 

No idea if he will be here - and may be he won't - but the awkward reaction could easily mean that LJ has been asked about something he can't talk about. That would be the case if a deal was agreed with another club, which I suspect it isn't, or simply because contract negotiations are ongoing and it would be unwise to say the wrong thing and leak or jeopardise anything. 

If I were a betting man, I would guess BR will sign a new contract with a release clause. I am in no way in the know, though. 

Ive said this before im sure, but anyone who plays for bristol city would be insane to turn down a premier league contract if theres one available to them, regardless of if they are from bristol, or anywhere else. That contract would set them up for life, and the loyalty/ one of our own argument is just a folly. Bobby and joe may do an acl injury on saturday and never play again, there wouldnt be a loyalty issue if they were forced to retire, and likewise, as long as the club gets a decent fee, and they leave with some grace, we shouldnt wxpect them to be loyal to us.

1 minute ago, Jacki said:

Which club was it? And how do you know this? 

Don’t want to say who as I shouldn’t be saying this. But  I know he was talking to representatives of the club at another club in the south west’s ground  a couple of months  into the start of the season. If they still want him (and let’s face it he has carried on doing well) I wouldn’t expect him to turn it down, or the BCFC turn down the money!!! Do enough digging and I’m sure someone else has named the club!

Archived