IGNORED

Is Bobby's future already sorted ?

Major Isewater

52 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

And your point is ? 

I thought you meant he could go for free this summer.  In fact that is true, assuming that city don’t exercise their one year extension option.

34 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Allegedly Everton

(And I’m completely not ITK)

But was that when Koeman was in charge?  If so, I can’t believe Allardyce would be interested in someone like Bobby.

Now, had you said the NW club was Burnley, I could quite believe it.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I thought you meant he could go for free this summer.  In fact that is true, assuming that city don’t exercise their one year extension option.

But was that when Koeman was in charge?  If so, I can’t believe Allardyce would be interested in someone like Bobby.

Now, had you said the NW club was Burnley, I could quite believe it.

Their interest was doing the football gossip rounds  back in pre season / August  (I know zilch about any talks with any club) so it’s a good point and would appear so Dave (Whilst Koeman there) and I’d agree that Sam may not be interested or as interested  , but Steve Walsh is their recruitment overlord and hasn’t moved so possibly still relevant (Depends who holds the recruitment power there)

Dont think Sam will be there come August so that may affect things further

Another poster last night ‘suggested’ Fulham a likely destination (If they go up) and I could see that 

22 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Their interest was doing the football gossip rounds  back in pre season / August  (I know zilch about any talks with any club) so it’s a good point and would appear so Dave (Whilst Koeman there) and I’d agree that Sam may not be interested or as interested  , but Steve Walsh is their recruitment overlord and hasn’t moved so possibly still relevant (Depends who holds the recruitment power there)

yep, good point re Walsh

Dont think Sam will be there come August so that may affect things further

yes, very true.  Everton fans on TS the other day despise him.

Another poster last night ‘suggested’ Fulham a likely destination (If they go up) and I could see that 

be a good club for him.

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I know loyalty in football doesn’t really exist, but after the first and only good season in his career you’d hope that he wouldn’t immediately be planning on jumping ship.

I could accept that if we’d had another torrid relegation scrap but it’d hurt a little after the season we’ve had. 

He seems to have his head screwed on though. Another season of 20 goals would stand him in line for a much better move than he could get this summer. 

He does have his head screwed on which is why he's probably leaving. Sorry, but loyalty doesn't work that way.  He's probably on less money than Walsh and certainly all the other first teamers.  You have no idea whether the club is able to offer him a contract that gets anywhere near where a team like Burnley or Bournemouth could offer.  He might also be looking to see who stays in the Premiership.  Southampton have supposedly always rated him.  

4 minutes ago, The Bard said:

He does have his head screwed on which is why he's probably leaving. Sorry, but loyalty doesn't work that way.  He's probably on less money than Walsh and certainly all the other first teamers.  You have no idea whether the club is able to offer him a contract that gets anywhere near where a team like Burnley or Bournemouth could offer.  He might also be looking to see who stays in the Premiership.  Southampton have supposedly always rated him.  

Like I said if his agent is any good at his job he’ll be squeezing the club for a new much improved deal. 

I would hate to see us cash in Bobby this summer but unless deal signed that is the sad reality. No way I can see us letting him walk for nothing next year.

Even last night he had an average game, scored one got an assist and won the free kick for the other! The ground he has covered this season has been incredible and I cannot remember a player progressing at his age like he has in such a short period. 

I’m hoping he is vested in LJ who has had a massive role in Bobby’s development over the years. Stark reality is that if premier league club come and offer to pay you 3 times your salary then you would be hard pushed to turn down and you can see his head being turned (as I think most peoples would be). 

Either way I can’t see it being decided until summer. If we go up then he will earn way more. If he is to sign and we stay down then he can still sign with a buy out clause. :fingerscrossed:

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I know loyalty in football doesn’t really exist, but after the first and only good season in his career you’d hope that he wouldn’t immediately be planning on jumping ship.

I could accept that if we’d had another torrid relegation scrap but it’d hurt a little after the season we’ve had. 

He seems to have his head screwed on though. Another season of 20 goals would stand him in line for a much better move than he could get this summer. 

19 goals this season and in the Championship team of the year....hardly going to go un-noticed by far bigger clubs than Bristol City with a £200+ Million purse to burn!

Offer him a new contract to equal our highest paid player, with a release clause which is more than fair for both parties that can only be activated by Premier League clubs. This would allow him to leave with grace in the future if someone activates it. This should be what we are doing for all our top assets I hope in order to ensure the clubs future as well as theirs. 

24 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Offer him a new contract to equal our highest paid player, with a release clause which is more than fair for both parties that can only be activated by Premier League clubs. This would allow him to leave with grace in the future if someone activates it. This should be what we are doing for all our top assets I hope in order to ensure the clubs future as well as theirs. 

If we had done that at the beginning of the season what would the release clause total have been ? 

500k , 1 or 2 million ?

I don't like these clauses they are a trap for both player and club.

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If we had done that at the beginning of the season what would the release clause total have been ? 

500k , 1 or 2 million ?

I don't like these clauses they are a trap for both player and club.

You'd always set them ridiculously high, just incase they have a breakout season and the value suddenly skyrockets e.g in the case of Bobby. A release clause of such a little amount would be pointless.

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

You'd always set them ridiculously high, just incase they have a breakout season and the value suddenly skyrockets e.g in the case of Bobby. A release clause of such a little amount would be pointless.

To labour the point a bit , what was ridiculously high in the past is often peanuts or becomes the norm tomorrow thus  not reflecting accurately the player's true worth .

A dangerous game for a club to play .

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

To labour the point a bit , what was ridiculously high in the past is often peanuts or becomes the norm tomorrow thus  not reflecting accurately the player's true worth .

A dangerous game for a club to play .

I think not, many Spanish clubs put ridiculous release clauses on their players and then even if the market inflates massively they can still get a more than fair price on them. 

I.e Laporte's move to Man City I can't believe that almost £60mill wasn't a more than justified price for a player that Real Sociedad would have wanted to keep even with the inflated market. 

For example, I wouldn't offer a release clause for Prem teams under £15mill if we were to renew the contracts of any of our players if they were to say sign a 3 year extension. It also means the players will be playing week in week out to increase their value. 

4 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I think not, many Spanish clubs put ridiculous release clauses on their players and then even if the market inflates massively they can still get a more than fair price on them. 

I.e Laporte's move to Man City I can't believe that almost £60mill wasn't a more than justified price for a player that Real Sociedad would have wanted to keep even with the inflated market. 

For example, I wouldn't offer a release clause for Prem teams under £15mill if we were to renew the contracts of any of our players if they were to say sign a 3 year extension. It also means the players will be playing week in week out to increase their value. 

We would have to pay BR a fortune for him and his people to agree a £15million release clause.   He is free to negotiate in 9 month's time.  If we're offered £5 million now, we would be insane not to either accept it or offer him a very large increase in wages.  A 4 year deal worth £5million to a player is £24k per week. We either break our wage ceiling or sell.   

Hi,

I know I rarely post on here but I am finding this thread a touch confusing.

If Bobby should attract Prem clubs should he stay loyal? There have been typical moves in the past ie as a single example Rooney went to Man U but returned years later to his boyhood team. Similar example with City was Chris Garland. 

Shouldn't a player, as an individual put their career first for the sake of themselves and their family? 

A lot of people were berating LJ before yesterdays game. Would you put your sole trust in LJ to shape your career given that you have many years of footie left?  Also, with the visible and hence apparent lack of ambition for promotion to the Prem. Would you stay here? I agree if one is an average Championship player with no growth, then they should stay. But would we want that caliber? 

I am all for supporting City to the Prem but I think we have to understand those players who are capable of more and get solid replacements within a development environment.

He definitely said that but I took it as him expecting bigger clubs coming in for Reid in the summer. City lost top scorer Tammy last season and Kodjia the season before so if Reid did move for a very decent fee on I wouldn't be too worried.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Exactly, back yourself to notch another twenty and sign for a top club .

:yes:

No top club will sign a championship striker. The clubs interested this summer (thinking Burnley, B’mouth, Brighton etc) will be the same clubs if he got 20 next season. 

Only way to get into a top club is to do it in the Prem. 

21 minutes ago, The Bard said:

We would have to pay BR a fortune for him and his people to agree a £15million release clause.   He is free to negotiate in 9 month's time.  If we're offered £5 million now, we would be insane not to either accept it or offer him a very large increase in wages.  A 4 year deal worth £5million to a player is £24k per week. We either break our wage ceiling or sell.   

I believe we have the option of a one year extension?

The thing is, unless Bobby integrally fits their style, there is no way a person of his age who has had one season of CF play will go in to a prem side - even a Burnley - as any better than 3rd or 4th choice. Fulham are the best bet that I’ve seen mentioned here, but if you take, say, Bournemouth he’s behind Wilson, Defoe, King & Mousset.

If we lose him, and it’s not a Fulham where he’s a natural fit, it’s far more likely IMO to be to another Championship side - and then it’s how much they want to pay him..

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The thing is, unless Bobby integrally fits their style, there is no way a person of his age who has had one season of CF play will go in to a prem side - even a Burnley - as any better than 3rd or 4th choice. Fulham are the best bet that I’ve seen mentioned here, but if you take, say, Bournemouth he’s behind Wilson, Defoe, King & Mousset.

If we lose him, and it’s not a Fulham where he’s a natural fit, it’s far more likely IMO to be to another Championship side - and then it’s how much they want to pay him..

Silvio....couldn’t agree more.  First choice here whether we play a one or a two up top.  There’s no guarantee of that anywhere else.

Archived