IGNORED

Is Bobby's future already sorted ?

Major Isewater

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Has Bobby already made a commitment to another club ?

I only ask because the LJ post match interview when he was asked if Bobby can score more next year there was an awkward physical  reaction which seemed to me to indicate that he wouldn't be here next year and LJ knows it . 

I'm not sure how many of us have actually watched said interview but - presuming it's the one I've just watched on the club site - what on earth is the opening comment here?

Eh?

There is no unusual reaction from Johnson, either physical or in his expression or in any other way. He does what he does all the time: smiles, has a few words to say, cheeky grin, barrowboy charm etc.

But what made me reply to this is - and again, I repeat, I presume I am commenting on the same interview here and I dunno if others have mentioned this - I'm replying cos of the fact Johnson, after his non-awkward reaction, says, quietly under the blundering crap coming out of the interviewer's mouth (he's awful, truly awful); "We've got to keep him first."

If others have mentioned this  and I am repeating them, fair enough. Otherwise we're all reading the opening comment and then spiralling off on a load of old cobblers.

No unusual reaction from the manager, but he says: "We've got to keep hi yet." Those are his exact words, a fact, probably better to discuss that than "it seems to me..." this "indicates"...

Blimey, I read some stuff on ere, but....

6 hours ago, Super said:

I'm the 1%!

I wasn't. And I was completely and utterly wrong.

Except that...

He's shown he's still not very effective from deeper. At Burton, against Brentford and last night when back bloody defending (play the league's top striker to help out defending in his own box!!) he looked like the ineffective player he'd been for a long time. Ineffective in that he didn't dominate or manipulate the game. Lots of potential, individual moments, "bags of skill" yes, but it's only this season that he's now consistently changing the outcome of games. 

But I was still very, very wrong.

1 hour ago, EnclosureSurge said:

I'm not sure how many of us have actually watched said interview but - presuming it's the one I've just watched on the club site - what on earth is the opening comment here?

Eh?

There is no unusual reaction from Johnson, either physical or in his expression or in any other way. He does what he does all the time: smiles, has a few words to say, cheeky grin, barrowboy charm etc.

But what made me reply to this is - and again, I repeat, I presume I am commenting on the same interview here and I dunno if others have mentioned this - I'm replying cos of the fact Johnson, after his non-awkward reaction, says, quietly under the blundering crap coming out of the interviewer's mouth (he's awful, truly awful); "We've got to keep him first."

If others have mentioned this  and I am repeating them, fair enough. Otherwise we're all reading the opening comment and then spiralling off on a load of old cobblers.

No unusual reaction from the manager, but he says: "We've got to keep hi yet." Those are his exact words, a fact, probably better to discuss that than "it seems to me..." this "indicates"...

Blimey, I read some stuff on ere, but....

It is this interview exactly that made me start this thread.

I didn't completely catch what he said but his reaction was completely defensive and ' awkward '  IMHO .

I just thought ' shot Bob's off ' .

I’m 99.99% sure that LJ will want to keep him...he’s had a big part to play in his development over the years from helping with the academy, to Oldham to know, and he always speaks snout Bobby in glowing terms.

If Bobby wasn’t homegrown, upon contract renewal you’d expect him to be one of the top earners, if not top.

I have a worry (unfounded) that MA is trying to secure Bobby on the cheap, and Bobby (rightly so) is holding out for what he deserves.  Bobby knows his worth here and also loves us, but he deserves a contract in line with his peers, especially with him possibly getting the Championship golden boot.  If we are indeed quibbling, we ought to think his much it would to replace and also the risk of that.

If the above does prove to be the case, then Ashton will come under serious scrutiny.

I truly would love Booby to stay but think he'll be off in the summer.

After all, isn't it now the clubs mantra to be self sufficient and start making some serious profit on transfers after selling some "home grown" talent?  I'd say Bobby fits into this mantra and we could generate some serious dough from his sale.

If he is sold then it will inevitably cause a little angst amongst the fanbase but we'll get over it.

5 hours ago, DOZZYBCFC said:

Just watched LJ's interview where he makes the comment "who knows" when being asked about Bobby Reid. Is it me or does he mutter "we'll have to keep him first" ?

Yep, LJ did make that comment - I just can’t see us holding on to him in the summer!

Likely fee somewhere between 5m and 10m?

Any club who wants to be in the top league cannot continually sell on their top sorers every season.  Those players are so hard to find.  Its a myth that selling for £5-10m is a good piece of business.  A replacement will cost at least that and may not gel.  All efforts to keep the young man must be made

10 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think a move that way would be most likely; obviously his sister is up there working as an MP too.

Question is: would he want to leave Bristol and his Mum's cooking behind? I don't think so.

My mum's cooking was one of the reasons I left home, Kid!  ;)

15 hours ago, Xspence said:

Stark reality is that if premier league club come and offer to pay you 3 times your salary then you would be hard pushed to turn down and you can see his head being turned (as I think most peoples would be). 

I'd imagine if he left for the Prem then any deal would be significantly more than trebling his current wages. I bet he's not paid particularly well here. Relatively speaking, of course. Anyone a bit more knowledgeable than me care to (Mickey) hazard a guess at his current weekly? 

27 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I'd imagine if he left for the Prem then any deal would be significantly more than trebling his current wages. I bet he's not paid particularly well here. Relatively speaking, of course. Anyone a bit more knowledgeable than me care to (Mickey) hazard a guess at his current weekly? 

If you believe that spreadsheet that leaked a few years ago it was around 1/3 of what the top earners at the club were on 

It's not just Bobby....over the summer we will be inundated with offers/interest in certain players.

We've had a great season, and with our cup runs and performances, have been in the spotlight at various times, which will have focussed more interest in our players.

MA will have his work cut out between now and the end of the next transfer window.

As soon as there is any interest, the Agent uses it as lateral.

We will have a budget...and if players agents push and push, sometimes you just have to let them go regardless.

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Agreed re current salary but I think it would be around treble his new offer from us. The 3 year deal which is rumoured surely would put him in the top earners bracket which I would expect to be £15-20k a week (based on no actual knowledge so someone feel free to correct me) whereas in prem I imagine he is comfortably a £40k a week player after season at top of championship scoring charts. 

10 hours ago, paulcityfan said:

Any club who wants to be in the top league cannot continually sell on their top sorers every season.  Those players are so hard to find.  Its a myth that selling for £5-10m is a good piece of business.  A replacement will cost at least that and may not gel.  All efforts to keep the young man must be made

If we are not going to sell him then we are going to have to persuade him that we won't just challenge next year but will follow through on a chance to get promotion as well as making him comfortably the best paid player.

Would be great if he gave us another season at least. I can see anyone outside the top six premier league teams being interested though sadly. Would be great for Bobby though and if he goes we need an England cap clause in there cos I can see him wearing the 3 lions in the future. Class.

Perhaps Bobby simply wants out of Bristol City and it doesn't matter what he's offered by the club. Same with Aiden Flint possibly.

Of course if nobody with a better status than us expresses any interest then of course he will sign but don't be surprised if he didn't go to one of the bigger Championship clubs that don't go up this season, on the basis that he has a good chance of Premier league football in August 2019.

18 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Perhaps Bobby simply wants out of Bristol City and it doesn't matter what he's offered by the club. Same with Aiden Flint possibly.

Of course if nobody with a better status than us expresses any interest then of course he will sign but don't be surprised if he didn't go to one of the bigger Championship clubs that don't go up this season, on the basis that he has a good chance of Premier league football in August 2019.

Despite him just being given a new contract?

23 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

99% of this forum wanted to get rid of him years ago, so I don't know why we would expect loyalty now the going is good.

I'll admit to this. As a midfielder, Bobby is average and I would have let him leave at the time but as a striker, he's excellent, a totally different proposition.

I love all this. It's worse than the BEP!

A little bit of perspective is always useful. Bobby has had one good season and he has one year extension on his current contract.

As supporters, we have no influence on any of this (unless of course you are Lansdown). So I suggest that we all stop wasting our energy on speculation and enjoy Bobby for the time being...!

45 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I love all this. It's worse than the BEP!

A little bit of perspective is always useful. Bobby has had one good season and he has one year extension on his current contract.

As supporters, we have no influence on any of this (unless of course you are Lansdown). So I suggest that we all stop wasting our energy on speculation and enjoy Bobby for the time being...!

Why ?  is he off somewhere ? 

Archived