IGNORED

Attendances over 20,000

Nongazeuse

15 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

It's a bit pathetic really. What are they afraid of? Having a few less numbers to print out at the end of the season? Surely they must be able to work out how many actually went through a turnstile.

Very much so, in fact the club had to come out with actual attendances in order to put off the parking scheme that was due to come in to action after 3 successive 25k attendances.

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, we know all that (nobody's attendance is what is published ) we can only go by what is published ad it is quite a turnaround. I guess , given a good result on Saturday we will have "bumper" crowds for our last two .

At least it different to the bad old days when clubs marked the attendances down and pocketed the undeclared cash. Or declared an estimated gate! 

Now we are telling everyone exactly how many tickets are sold for each game. 

24 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

It's a bit pathetic really. What are they afraid of? Having a few less numbers to print out at the end of the season? Surely they must be able to work out how many actually went through a turnstile.

The turnstile operators found a way to open the turnstile to allow fans in without engaging the counter if one was fitted. Many clubs didn't have turnstile counters. 

Where there is cash, and there will always be a fiddle. 

21 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Especially with electronic turnstiles it should be almost instantaneous.

Would have thought that the total number is required for insurance purposes anyway so the actual value should be obtainable.

What insurance purposes?

3 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

The support has always been there, any match worth anything in the last 30 years will show that. The problem is we've had too many matches that weren't really worth anything at all in that time. Top end of the championship (and a ground big enough) and they will come. Make it to the PL and Ashton Gate will be bursting at the seams.  

If you're suggesting the fan base hasn't grown, I have to disagree. The best comparison with our current season is 2007/08 when we were around the top six all season. Our opening game drew a crowd of 12k. Only the last few games sold out (19k) and right up until March we were averaging 15k a game. We were doing even better that year than we have been this year - the season built towards a climax. Yet this year we are getting at least 20k every week, despite poor recent form. Even allowing for STH no-shows, that's very obvious growth.

Our progress on the pitch might be inconsistent, but it's clear that the club is growing off it.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If you're suggesting the fan base hasn't grown, I have to disagree. The best comparison with our current season is 2007/08 when we were around the top six all season. Our opening game drew a crowd of 12k. Only the last few games sold out (19k) and right up until March we were averaging 15k a game. We were doing even better that year than we have been this year - the season built towards a climax. Yet this year we are getting at least 20k every week, despite poor recent form. Even allowing for STH no-shows, that's very obvious growth.

Our progress on the pitch might be inconsistent, but it's clear that the club is growing off it.

Tend to agree with this.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It depends what you mean by the fan base. If it means season ticket holders, then yes that has grown, most used to pay on the day. Big season ticket numbers are a recent invention (from about 2008). 

In 1989 I was in the ground watching a league cup semi final with circa 30,000 others (look at the footage, it was rammed, we always under cooked attendances then). In 2018 I did the same thing with 26,000 others. Before that 38000 at home to Liverpool and then 30-40000 for the Wembley/Cardiff finals. Derby matches (remember them) in the lower divisions with 20k+ in the ground. If we've got something worth playing for (and watching), the support has always been there. The problem is, we haven't had enough of that sort of thing.  

5 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

The fact it's growth in season ticket sale and lots of young supporters is great too. (Leaving aside the screw up on the prices for a moment). 

Onceyou get the bug, it's difficult to find the cure!!!

Get yourself a shite paid job and a newborn to look after. Seems to have done the trick for me :sad26:

33 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

It depends what you mean by the fan base. If it means season ticket holders, then yes that has grown, most used to pay on the day. Big season ticket numbers are a recent invention (from about 2008). 

In 1989 I was in the ground watching a league cup semi final with circa 30,000 others (look at the footage, it was rammed, we always under cooked attendances then). In 2018 I did the same thing with 26,000 others. Before that 38000 at home to Liverpool and then 30-40000 for the Wembley/Cardiff finals. Derby matches (remember them) in the lower divisions with 20k+ in the ground. If we've got something worth playing for (and watching), the support has always been there. The problem is, we haven't had enough of that sort of thing.  

It also felt a bit under counted- not to the extent to which you state- but maybe 2-2.5k, maybe 3k at times at various League One games in the 2000s. E.g. 10-11k attendances...often felt like more to me.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Very interesting.  So a lot of paying customers (probably unattending ST holders) not turning up.

We know Sexstone once said 1 in 6 STH's failed to attend each game through any number of reasons - working away, illness, bad weather, weddings, holidays etc.

That's a minimum, it'll be more than that when enthusiasm dips due to fans losing enthusiasm due to a run of poor performances.

Just look at the Sheffield Wednesday game.

Official attendance will go down in the history books as 22,022.

Actual attendance according to @Clevedon_Red's link was 15,170, so almost 7k less which means nearly 1 in 3 with tickets didn't go to the game.

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Agreed, a bit less than 16k imo, and that's including the 1.4k Brummies of course.

Couldn't see the Upper Dolman (behind me) but apart from the reasonably full block by S82 I can't remember seeing so many empty seats in the SS , and swathes of empty seats in the Lansdown too.

Loads of regulars around me missing in the LD, including half the row behind me..

Good atmosphere from the City fans who did turn up though.

Upper Dolman - which is 99% STH - fairly full TBH.

I think many were like me. Didn't really fancy it, but knew the season was coming to an end and the gaping months of no live football [*sob] are approaching.

34 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We know Sexstone once said 1 in 6 STH's failed to attend each game through any number of reasons - working away, illness, bad weather, weddings, holidays etc.

That's a minimum, it'll be more than that when enthusiasm dips due to fans losing enthusiasm due to a run of poor performances.

Just look at the Sheffield Wednesday game.

Official attendance will go down in the history books as 22,022.

Actual attendance according to @Clevedon_Red's link was 15,170, so almost 7k less which means nearly 1 in 3 with tickets didn't go to the game.

Yeah, was quite shocked by the difference...certainly Wednesday match.  I did wonder whether they’d forgotten to add the away fans?

i suppose if they sold 3k half season tickets as a result of Man Utd, many of them won’t attend regularly.

31 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Don't forget the Sheffield Wednesday game was the one which sparked mass debates on here whether it should go ahead and mass outcry from Wednesday fans that it did.

It’s certainly one of the few that I and many others from outside Bristol missed due to the weather - not by choice.

Archived