IGNORED

Govt Safe Standing Petition (Merged)

JackMarch

• SC&T Board Members

This petition added 8,000 signatures in 6 hours on Wednesday evening, spurred on by remarks form the sports minister, who called fans who want safe standing a "vocal minority" and said she wants fans to be forced to sit down. I'm afraid I wasn't very complimentary about her in this Telegraph article.

Having hit 10k, the government now has to make a formal response. When it hits 100k, they have to consider the matter for a debate.

So please do sign the petition and share the link widely! Ta!

• SC&T Board Members

Here, in full, is what the minister said (having rejected WBA's plan to pilot rail seating, which was fully backed by their SAG):

“The answer to dealing with persistent standing is not necessarily to introduce safe-standing. There are regulations to deal with persistent standing — I would like to see them enforced. I get as many messages from people asking me to deal with persistent standing as I get from people asking me to introduce safe-standing.

“Watching football has changed dramatically over the last 20 years. You see more women and children going to games than ever before, and more families. While I appreciate there is a vocal minority who want a return to standing, I don’t think they speak for the majority and I remain to be convinced of the case. The clubs aren’t convinced either. I know there have been surveys done and there is no desire among the top clubs to change this policy.”

If you disagree with her, please sign the petition and share it via all your social media services.

21 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Here, in full, is what the minister said (having rejected WBA's plan to pilot rail seating, which was fully backed by their SAG):

“The answer to dealing with persistent standing is not necessarily to introduce safe-standing. There are regulations to deal with persistent standing — I would like to see them enforced. I get as many messages from people asking me to deal with persistent standing as I get from people asking me to introduce safe-standing.

“Watching football has changed dramatically over the last 20 years. You see more women and children going to games than ever before, and more families. While I appreciate there is a vocal minority who want a return to standing, I don’t think they speak for the majority and I remain to be convinced of the case. The clubs aren’t convinced either. I know there have been surveys done and there is no desire among the top clubs to change this policy.”

If you disagree with her, please sign the petition and share it via all your social media services.

It's just a typical ostrich response isn't it...

Say next home game, for example, B Block of the Dolman or more realistically, a large chunk of the South Stand other than the singing section suddenly all decided to stand- how would 20 stewards deal with it? :laugh: (Not advocating it btw, because stewards do have a job to do and SAG probably read this, just putting scenarios out there).

24 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Touch sexist that isn't it?

Poor women can't stand up for 90 minutes, they'll faint if they don't have a seat to sit on.

2 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

Signed

typical crap response from another clueless politition. Even if it actually is a “vocal minority”, why should that make any difference? I haven’t heard anyone asking for stadiums to be made all standing, but she doesn’t give any reason why a section of a stadium shouldn’t be converted to cater for the so called vocal minority who are asking for safe standing to be an option.

Makes you wonder how much longer they are going to slavishly follow that Taylor report, or maybe they’ve got some other agenda driving this.

29 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Over 19,000 now.

Not too bad, but I thought it would be rising in numbers a lot faster than it has done. 

Even if it hits the 100,000 needed, that could still be classed a small minority considering the amount of fans that watch football up and down the country each weekend.

Hopefully some prominent figures within the game retweet it and get it out to a wider audience.

Archived