IGNORED

Govt Safe Standing Petition (Merged)

JackMarch

16 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Not too bad, but I thought it would be rising in numbers a lot faster than it has done. 

Even if it hits the 100,000 needed, that could still be classed a small minority considering the amount of fans that watch football up and down the country each weekend.

Hopefully some prominent figures within the game retweet it and get it out to a wider audience.

Snowball effect isn't it.  Some journalist will be watching the "popular petitions" page and will do some article saying "10,000 sign safe-standing petition in a day".  That then gets read, which generates more signatures, generates comments, interviews, then it's on Football Focus, then Sky...etc

I get as many messages from people asking me to deal with persistent standing as I get from people asking me to introduce safe-standing.

This was certainly my experience when I worked as SLO.

However, the easy way to deal with both of these issues is to give those who wish to stand a safe place to do so, and not to allow it in areas put aside for seating.

The argument against safe standing is an emotive one, and doesn't in any way take into account the proven safe nature of current rail seating as opposed to the unsafe terraces of yesteryear.  The fact that next season's Championship could well include WBA (wanted to install safe standing but weren't allowed to), Brentford (Should have got rid of their terracing by now but have been given an extension because they are building a new ground) and Shrewsbury (installing rail seating as they are currently a League One side), only goes to expose how ludicrous and illogical the current situation is. Not to mention the hugely successful trial at Celtic, which has led to few, if any safety concerns.

I have signed the petition, and applaud @Blagdon red's continued efforts to highlight this issue.

8 minutes ago, Dave L said:

I get as many messages from people asking me to deal with persistent standing as I get from people asking me to introduce safe-standing.

However, the easy way to deal with both of these issues is to give those who wish to stand a safe place to do so, and not to allow it in areas put aside for seating.

The argument against safe standing is an emotive one, and doesn't in any way take into account the proven safe nature of current rail seating as opposed to the unsafe terraces of yesteryear.  The fact that next season's Championship could well include WBA (wanted to install safe standing but weren't allowed to), Brentford (Should have got rid of their terracing by now but have been given an extension because they are building a new ground) and Shrewsbury (installing rail seating as they are currently a League One side), only goes to expose how ludicrous and illogical the current situation is. Not to mention the hugely successful trial at Celtic, which has led to few, if any safety concerns.

I have signed the petition, and applaud @Blagdon red's continued efforts to highlight this issue.

100% Agree

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Standard self serving career politician who hasn't got the bottle to actually try and change anything.

Yet another Minister put in charge of something they know little about.  However we have Boris as Foreign Secretary so nothing surprises me.

Anyways well done to those keeping up the fight for safe standing.

6 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Standard self serving career politician who hasn't got the bottle to actually try and change anything.

Ah! Change will open a case for you to proven wrong. Why not keep it the same doing f all and blaming previous people in the role? Much easier and well worth the 150k+ a year 

4 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

Here, in full, is what the minister said (having rejected WBA's plan to pilot rail seating, which was fully backed by their SAG):

“The answer to dealing with persistent standing is not necessarily to introduce safe-standing. There are regulations to deal with persistent standing — I would like to see them enforced. I get as many messages from people asking me to deal with persistent standing as I get from people asking me to introduce safe-standing.

“Watching football has changed dramatically over the last 20 years. You see more women and children going to games than ever before, and more families. While I appreciate there is a vocal minority who want a return to standing, I don’t think they speak for the majority and I remain to be convinced of the case. The clubs aren’t convinced either. I know there have been surveys done and there is no desire among the top clubs to change this policy.”

If you disagree with her, please sign the petition and share it via all your social media services.

Signed.

In respect of the families/children part I take my kids to AG. They wouldn’t use the safe standing bit now, but when my boy is 16 he may well wish to. This has been proven to offer a safe choice, which can actually improve those who want to sits experience as they aren’t disrupted by potential standers. So, where in the name of Bob is the gap and the reason to say no?

(In terms of top clubs, what I can see is that a seat attracts someone who spends more on hospitality so 1 seat is worth more than two standing. That’s the only reason - not about safety at all)

• SC&T Board Members
53 minutes ago, Dave L said:

Cheers Dave, and you're correct, of course, on every point you make.

1 hour ago, Dave L said:

Simple, isn't it? Now could someone please translate this into a form of words that even a Government Minister could understand?

• SC&T Board Members
59 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I dare say @Blagdon red already covered it,  but police and stewards in the Celtic safe standing place- one of the bigger set of objections on paper- actually reckon it makes their job easier.

Which rides a horse and cart through a key objection.

Yes, Police Scotland said they were sceptical when the idea of 'bringing back standing' was first mooted, but are now fully in favour of rail seating, as they say it aids good crowd management.

45 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Yes, Police Scotland said they were sceptical when the idea of 'bringing back standing' was first mooted, but are now fully in favour of rail seating, as they say it aids good crowd management.

Thought so.

There we have it. Given it is not like old style terracing in any way, and with modern technology, there's no real rational or valid reasons for the authorities objections.

• SC&T Board Members
2 hours ago, Natchlander said:

signed and shared ... wierdly addictive watching the signatures increase 

Isn't it! Up over 31,000 now. Notts County's owner and Brentford's CEO have signed and RT'd. Wonder about ours? Or even our SLO? How about it, @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO ?

Clickety click

• SC&T Board Members

The next time you see the much maligned Dave Storr, shake the man's hand! His trade association just said this (my bold highlighting):

“The all-seater policy for football grounds in England and Wales was developed over 25 years ago and the landscape of football ground safety has changed beyond recognition in that time.

“The issue of supporters persistently standing in seating areas is one that affects all-seater football stadia up and down the country and threatens to compromise the safety of thousands of fans every match day.

“Something must be done to tackle this issue, and the introduction of an alternative such as ‘rail seating’ or other systems currently being developed to enhance safety should not be ignored.

“West Bromwich Albion’s bid to trial a safe-standing section in the Smethwick End was submitted after lengthy research across Europe and also at Celtic, where similar systems are already working successfully. The pilot would have provided the perfect opportunity to gather much-needed data and feedback with the view of possibly introducing similar systems at grounds across England and Wales in future.

“Safety Officers and Club Directors across the country are subject to legislative requirements but this is one legislation that should be given careful consideration. However we move forward in future, the safety of spectators must always remain paramount but it seems that as we strive to improve standards of safety already achieved at our grounds, the Government is then choosing to ignore what may prove to be a safer alternative to standing in seated areas.

“It is disappointing that the rejection of West Bromwich Albion’s bid means the club will not be able to explore this option of safe-standing to enable positive change and enhance match day safety at all grounds going forward.”

That's from the Football Safety Officers Association. Setting themselves unambiguously at odds with the sports minister.

Quite some situation!

Let's show the FSOA that they are right and the minister is wrong. Add your name to the petition

Thanks!

Archived