IGNORED

Govt Safe Standing Petition (Merged)

JackMarch

As Shadow Minister for Disabled People, I also agree with disabled supporters group Level Playing Fields that we should ensure that any changes to seating would not impact accessibility and facilities for disabled people.

————————————

shows how clueless she is on the matter, why would safe standing have affects on accessibility and facilities for disabled fans 

18 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Can someone let the Saggies know they're allowed to help? Bristol South with the city on it's back as usual...

They're not going to worry about safe standing for the top 2 divisions being discussed are they.

It's never going to apply to them.

11 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

As Shadow Minister for Disabled People, I also agree with disabled supporters group Level Playing Fields that we should ensure that any changes to seating would not impact accessibility and facilities for disabled people.

————————————

shows how clueless she is on the matter, why would safe standing have affects on accessibility and facilities for disabled fans 

Yeh...I didn't really ask her about that, guess she's just slinging that in at the end to remind me how nice she is in an attempt to secure my vote next time round. Pretty much ignored that bit.

51 minutes ago, Barkhamred said:

I think that Marsha de Cordova is Bobby Reid's sister.

This is more likely to get my vote tbh.  She should have mentioned this in her election literature!

1 hour ago, AshtonPark said:

————————————

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh...I didn't really ask her about that, guess she's just slinging that in at the end to remind me how nice she is in an attempt to secure my vote next time round. Pretty much ignored that bit.

If there was a disabled section halfway up the stand, then suddenly being surrounded by people standing would hinder the view of someone in a chair. I don't think it would affect anywhere at AG as all our wheelchair areas are at the front of their block/tier. However other grounds may be laid out differently. 

I believe your MP is making the point for the reason you state, however there is a good point buried in there somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

If there was a disabled section halfway up the stand, then suddenly being surrounded by people standing would hinder the view of someone in a chair. I don't think it would affect anywhere at AG as all our wheelchair areas are at the front of their block/tier. However other grounds may be laid out differently. 

I believe your MP is making the point for the reason you state, however there is a good point buried in there somewhere. 

If there are issues with people standing up with safe standing, then there will be issues when people are standing when there are attacks, goals scored etc. Then if that is the case better facilities should be in place full stop.

Charlton away end is one of them. Fans who stand during attacks block the view of the disabled section. 

That isn’t the fault of fans, that is the fault of the club. 

4 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

To be debated on Monday 25 June,while the World Cup is taking place in Russia.

England will have played on Sunday 24 June against Panama

Scheduled so that by then fans will have shown themselves to be anything but safe in any environment.

7 hours ago, pride of the west said:

Out of interest, which MPs are banging the drum for safe standing? If there arn't really any on board then the dabate will only be attended by about 20 MPs and will only last a couple of minutes. 

MPs around Norwich are vigorously pro safe standing. Norman Lamb in particular

Fully expect Labour to get behind this if they've got any sense. Corbyn promised investment in to grassroots during the last election, so wouldn't be surprised if theres support there.

26 minutes ago, Sydneybcfc said:

Official response via email read something along the lines of "stop wasting our time, we'll debate it but we've already made up our mind"

All about safety and security, you wouldn’t mind as much if they actually said their reasons behind why they think it is better for safety and security. 

A relatively simplistic argument by a  Government Minister, a standard argument may have been.

'When there was standing, there was trouble aplenty.

All seater? Safer and more crucially easier to control.'

Maybe things are changing now- hopefully.  Far as I know, the Safe Standing trial at Celtic has all gone quite smoothly, plus this is obviously different to the old terraces which knocks out a big chunk of their argument- what with excellent CCTV now, seats allocated- and people standing up in that form means more accessible for stewards/police/emergency services. No brainer tbh- but we all know this already, let's hope MPs come round to this too.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

No brainer tbh- but we all know this already, let's hope MPs come round to this too.

Pity they don't hold the Commons Debate shortly before a General Election. Then we could all get hold of Hansard and see which MPs were for or against Safe Standing and vote them back in or not accordingly.

• SC&T Board Members

He'll get the standard "copy and paste" template from DCMS. However, it will be interesting to see if it includes their new line about "working closely with the SGSA to explore ways of using new technology to accommodate the wishes of those fans who like to stand without having to change the law", or words to that affect.

If it includes that line, that's progress! And it was the petition, I am told, that has made them have a re-think.

Archived